The Last Wish is not about love, but because of love

+
The Last Wish is not about love, but because of love

First of I all I want to say that I actually really like the way you can play out the quest (in general I love how their love unfolds in the game once again), albeit as great the quest can be, it is also one of the worst ones in terms of the lore, if handled incorrectly.

Through the whole game it tries to tell you the real Last Wish and its meaning to you, however it seems like a lot still think the Last Wish simply forced a love. The very reason why they love each other. Wrong! That was never the case and the game tries to tell you that, over and over again.

Geralt and Yennefer themselves know the real wish and they even tell you that, just listen to their dialogue during the quest:
G: Gonna keep bringing that up for the rest of my life?
Y: Of course. Your last wish effectively assured it.
G: My wish was about us being together always, not about you mocking my every mistake.
Y: “Careful what you wish for.” And when your wish is granted, you must accept it with all attendant circumstances.

G: So that’s it… This is about my last wish.
Y: You asked that djinn to bind us together forever. I want to ask this one to take that wish back.

In both cases both tell you EXACTLY what Geralt’s wish was about, binding his fate to hers, to be together with her forever, why does he do that? I will tell you later.
Not once do they mention “love” or “being forced to do anything” as many tend to claim.

"Yennefer cast a spell on him, to manipulate him."
"Geralt was hexed."
"Her love is based on a lie."
"They never loved each other in the first place."

Actually in the books the love between those two is thanks to Dandelion even considered by many as the romance per se.

Blood of Elves
The bard finished the song. Tilting his head a little he repeated the ballad’s refrain on his lute, delicately, softly, a single tone higher than the apprentice accompanying him.
No one said a word. Nothing but the subsiding music and the whispering leaves and squeaking boughs of the enormous oak could be heard. Then, all of a sudden, a goat tethered to one of the carts which circled the ancient tree bleated lengthily. At that moment, as if given a signal, one of the men seated in the large semi-circular audience stood up. Throwing his cobalt blue cloak with gold braid trim back over his shoulder, he gave a stiff, dignified bow.
“It would not be an exaggeration to say,” continued the wizard, “that you have moved us deeply, Master Dandilion. You have prompted us to reflection and thought; you have stirred our hearts. Allow me to express our gratitude, and our respect.”
“Songs and ballads” – the musician bowed – “never end, dear lady, because poetry is eternal and immortal, it knows no beginning, it knows no end—”
“But what happened next?” The tradeswoman didn’t give up, generously rattling coins into the bucket Dandilion’s apprentice held out to her. “At least tell us about it, even if you have no wish to sing of it. Your songs mention no names, but we know the witcher you sing of is no other than the famous Geralt of Rivia, and the enchantress for whom he burns with love is the equally famous Yennefer. And the Child Surprise, destined for the witcher and sworn to him from birth, is Cirilla, the unfortunate Princess of Cintra, the town destroyed by the Invaders. Am I right?”
Dandilion smiled, remaining enigmatic and aloof. “I sing of universal matters, my dear, generous lady,” he stated. “Of emotions which anyone can experience. Not about specific people.”
“Oh, come on!” yelled a voice from the crowd. “Everyone knows those songs are about Geralt the Witcher!”
“Yes, yes!” squealed Baron Vilibert’s daughters in chorus, drying their sodden scarves. “Sing on, Master Dandilion! What happened next? Did the witcher and Yennefer the Enchantress find each other in the end? And did they love each other? Were they happy? We want to know!”

“Thank you,” he repeated, “for rescuing me. That cursed Rience wouldn’t have spared my life. He’d have squeezed everything from me and then butchered me like a sheep.”
“Yes, I think he would.” She poured herself and the bard some wine then raised her tumbler. “So let’s drink to your rescue and health, Dandilion.”
“And to yours, Yennefer,” he toasted her in return. “To health for which – as of today – I shall pray whenever the occasion arises. I’m indebted to you, beautiful lady, and I shall repay the debt in my songs. I shall explode the myth which claims wizards are insensitive to the pain of others, that they are rarely eager to help poor, unfortunate, unfamiliar mortals.”
“What to do.” She smiled, half-shutting her beautiful violet eyes. “The myth has some justification; it did not spring from nowhere. But you’re not a stranger, Dandilion. I know you and like you.”
“Really?” The poet smiled too. “You have been good at concealing it up until now. I’ve even heard the rumour that you can’t stand me, I quote, any more than the plague.”
“It was the case once.” The enchantress suddenly grew serious. “Later my opinion changed. Later, I was grateful to you.”
“What for, if I may ask?”
“Never mind,” she said, toying with the empty tumbler.

“You don’t know,” she repeated. “You, who usually know everything, and then sing about everything. Even such intimate matters as someone else’s feelings. I listened to your ballads beneath Bleobheris, Dandilion. You dedicated a good few verses to me.”
“Poetry,” he muttered, staring at the chicken, “has its rights. No one should be offended—”
“‘Hair like a raven’s wing, as a storm in the night…’” quoted Yennefer with exaggerated emphasis, “ ‘…and in the violet eyes sleep lightning bolts…’ Isn’t that how it went?”
“That’s how I remembered you.” The poet smiled faintly. “May the first who wishes to claim the description is untrue throw the first stone.”
“Only I don’t know,” the Enchantress pinched her lips together, “who gave you permission to describe my internal organs. How did it go? ‘Her heart, as though a jewel, adorned her neck. Hard as if of diamond made, and as a diamond so unfeeling, sharper than obsidian, cutting—’ Did you make that up yourself? Or perhaps…?”
Her lips quivered, twisted.
“…or perhaps you listened to someone’s confidences and grievances?”
“Hmm…” Dandilion cleared his throat and veered away from the dangerous subject.

Especially the women want to know more about this love story, not once do they doubt the love nor blame anything on the wish. Especially the wish itself is never an issue, neither in those stories nor in their lives.

Their love story is known to them as is Romeo and Juliet to us. Even after 20 years they still talk and sing about their love:

[video=youtube;2bSk-8C76dc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bSk-8C76dc[/video]

Originally Posted by @xxgwxx
http://polygamia.pl/gdy-priscilla-pi...h-twardzieli-/
^Here's a nice Polish article about Priscilla's song

Aleksandra Motyka, the author of the lyrics, says (more or less, this is my lame translation) :" Transforming Geralt&Yennefer's love story into a ballad was a very ambitious task, but I approached it with an enthusiasm of a hardcore book-fan, as I've just read the whole saga all over again. I was optimistic that I would be able to describe this extraordinary feeling that tied the witcher and the sorceress -just like Jaskier(Dandelion) would.if both of them decided to confide in him openly"

Aleksandra was also responsible for most of Priscilla's lines. When she was writing the song's lyrics, she didn't take into consideration the fact that it's going to be translated into English and other languages - which helped her a lot.

Those songs/ballads by Dandelion about them are really popular and famous, so I was more than delighted to hear one of them in the game. Sadly I don't speak Polish, so I can only use the English and German ones to try to understand what the song is about.

To understand the meaning of it, it is also important to realize that the song is sung from the point of view of Geralt.
These scars long have yearned for your tender caress
To bind our fortunes, damn what the stars own
Rend my heart open, then your love profess
A winding, weaving fate to which we both atone

You flee my dream come the morning
Your scent - berries tart, lilac sweet
To dream of raven locks entwisted, stormy
Of violet eyes, glistening as you weep

The wolf I will follow into the storm
To find your heart, its passion displaced
By ire ever growing, hardening into stone
Amidst the cold to you in a heated embrace

I know not if fate would have us live as one
Or if by love's blind chance we've been bound
The wish I whispered, when it all began
Did it forge a love you might never have found?

His scars long for her tender caress, not just his mind, but also his body long for her.

Open my heart, so your love can heal it again. He wants to feel those feelings, again and again, to be alive, to be human.

Whenever they are apart, they will again seek out for each other, even through storms.

He is seeking her heart, it is just displaced not lost.

Her heart might have been an ice shard, but it can be warmed it up again. Showing that she has indeed a heart and isn't ice cold as she might believe. He knows her better than she does, she isn't a monster like Geralt thought about himself.

Geralt dreams of Yennefer, she can't get out of his head. Her dream of raven locks, violet eyes and her scent. Those traits are keeping him on edge, since he knows her, especially if he sees other women, he always compare them to Yennefer.

He doesn't know whether everything was fate all along or just a coincidence.

Though the wish he whispered was just the beginning.

He bound their fates together, even though everything was against it (especially his and her nature as witcher, a mutant, and a sorceress).

He doesn't know if fate had originally planned for them to live as one all along, but he wished so, but what if he forced fate to do so? What if he challenged fate?
What if the wish he whispered, was forcing her to love him?
Did it create a love in her, she would have never found for him?
What if he just hurt her by binding their fates together?

Geralt isn't questioning his love to her, but he has doubts, whether she truly loves him, voluntary. He isn't unsure about his feelings, he is unsure, if her feelings to him are pure and unforced. Yennefer's Last Wish is the direct response to that!

This ballad isn't about a failed love, but the insecurity about it. The insecurity whether the one you love, also loves you the same.

Both never thought they could love someone, both never thought they could feel something like this at all, but here Geralt is aware of his feelings, but he has doubts, whether someone can even love him on their own free will.

In the end this is just a ballad, but there could be a grain of truth in there like always.

Dandilion smiled, remaining enigmatic and aloof. “I sing of universal matters, my dear, generous lady,” he stated. “Of emotions which anyone can experience. Not about specific people.”

“But it has to be true,” the attractive elf in the ermine toque suddenly said in a melodious voice. “Such a beautiful ballad of love could not but be true.”

“No! No!” squealed Baron Vilibert’s daughters from behind their green scarves. “Geralt the Witcher can’t have been killed! The witcher found Ciri, the child destined for him, and then the Enchantress Yennefer, and all three lived happily ever after! Isn’t that true, Master Dandilion?”
“’Twas a ballad, my noble young ladies,” said the beer-parched gnome, manufacturer of ironwares, with a yawn. “Why look for truth in a ballad? Truth is one thing, poetry another.

And here comes the crux of it. In the books both never cared about this Last Wish, they professed their love to each other and accepted it for final.

They had their doubts in the books, true, but they overcome them already long ago, but this is why Yennefer wants to break the wish anway, at least according to the game.

The Last Wish is so incredible insignificant and irrelevant for their relationship, you can’t even imagine, if you haven’t read the books and/or finished them already. It was just the start of their relationship, but not the foundation. Not once was the wish mentioned in the whole saga or any other short story ever again. To put that into numbers:
The whole Geralt Saga has 2 short story books, 5 saga books and another sidestory book (all in all 8 canon books). Roughly 3350 pages (depending on which language you use), yet Geralt uttered his wish on page ~360.

That’s 1/10 into the story and for the next 20+ years the Last Wish was never mentioned once again, not by Geralt nor by Yennefer nor by Sapkowski in any way ever. THAT’s how important this wish is for the story and for those two, absolutely negligible, because the meaning of the wish was fulfilled long ago.
A djinn can't kill his master (Geralt), but the djinn wanted to seek revenge and kill Yennefer for trying to tame him. So to prevent that, Geralt tied her fate to his, so the djinn can't kill her without killing him, because that's not possible.

That's his wish, boring you might say, but the really interesting part is the reason behind the Last Wish by Geralt.

But first you should know that witchers weren't supposed to have feelings at all, they should be monster killers without feelings and with a neutral attitude. They should take contracts, kill monsters and take the reward, then ride to the next village. That was and is their job, nothing else.

Pretty similiar to how Yennefer grew up. No feelings are allowed and only living for the job, that's how she learned it from Tissaia de Vries, her mentor. But just as Geralt she changed for the better.

As far as I remember Geralt was rather unique, as he is constantly not neutral and always doing foolish human things, which he isn't supposed to do, e.g. when he fought the Striga, he was careless and didn't want to kill it, but save the girl. By doing that he was almost killed by her.

But meeting Yennefer just topped everything for him. Geralt had always an eye for little things, but after meeting Yennefer for the first time, he constantly saw things on her, which weren't important, at least he thought so:

You can actually watch/listen to these fantastic scenes on Gilthoniel's channel. The Polish audiobook is just awesome and she had a lot of work to put subtitles to them:

The Last Wish
The witcher approached, watchful and silent. He saw her left shoulder, slightly higher than her right. Her nose, slightly too long. Her lips, a touch too narrow. Her chin, receding a little too much. Her brows a little too irregular. Her eyes . . .
He saw too many details. Quite unnecessarily.
He continued watching. She had the figure of a twenty-year-old, although he preferred not to guess at her real age. She moved with natural, unaffected grace. No, there was no way of guessing what she had been like before, what had been improved. He stopped thinking about it; there wasn't any sense.

A little bit later in the chapter, he has a chat with an elf, who is in love with Yennefer:
'I forgive you, because you've no idea how strong that spell was. My dear elf, I can break an ordinary spell within a few minutes and I don't faint while doing it. You wouldn't have managed to break Yennefer's spell and you would have had difficulty overpowering me.
Remember the guards.'
'I wasn't thinking about you. I repeat: I was thinking about her.'
'Chireadan?'
'Yes?'
'Do you . . . Do you—'
'I don't like grand words,' interrupted the elf, smiling sadly. 'I'm greatly, shall we say, fascinated by her. No doubt you're surprised that anyone could be fascinated by her?'
Geralt closed his eyes to recall an image which, without using grand words, fascinated him inexplicably.
'No, Ghireadan,' he said. 'I'm not surprised.'

Yennefer casted a spell on Geralt to settle down old scores in town, nothing serious, she just needed the manpower from him and he owed her something anyway, because she healed Dandelion. That was the only reason Geralt approached her anyway.

Later on Yennefer tries to inprison the famous djinn, but she can't do it and she will die, when nobody helps her. Geralt could just do nothing and let her die, especially after she has used him, but he just couldn't. He had to do something, even if it meant to risk his own life for a woman he barely knew:
The witcher felt Chireadan touch his shoulder. He turned. The elf looked him in the eyes, then lowered his own.
'You're going there because you have to, aren't you?'
Geralt hesitated. He thought he smelled the scent of lilac and gooseberries.
'I think so,' he said reluctantly. 'I do have to. I'm sorry, Chireadan—'
'Don't apologise. I know what you feel.'
'I doubt it. Because I don't know myself.'
The elf smiled. The smile had little to do with joy. 'That's just it, Geralt. Precisely it.'

and THAT's the damn reason why he goes off to her and try to save her. This unknown feeling is moving him to do something.

The priest smiled. 'You're a brave man,' he said. 'You want to save her, don't you? But bravery isn't going to be of much use to you. Djinns are vengeful beings. The sorceress is lost. And if you go there, you'll be lost, too. Examine your conscience.'
Yennefer saw him, jumped up and raised her hand.
'No!' he shouted, 'don't do this! I want to help you!'
'Help?' She snorted. You?'
'Me.'
'In spite of what I did to you?'
'In spite of it.'
'Interesting. But not important. I don't need your help. Get out of here.'
'No.'
'Get out of here!' she yelled, grimacing ominously. 'It's getting dangerous! The whole thing's getting out of control, do you understand? I can't master him. I don't get it, but the scoundrel isn't weakening at all! I caught him once he'd fulfilled the troubadour's third wish and I should have him in the sphere by now. But he's not getting any weaker! Dammit, it looks as if he's getting stronger! But I'm still going to get the better of him, I'll break—'
'You won't break him, Yennefer. He'll kill you.'
'It's not so easy to kill me—'
'This way, Geralt! Run for it!'
'Only with you!'
Why did Geralt go there?' groaned Dandilion. 'What the hell for? Why did he insist on saving that witch? Why, dammit? Chireadan, do you understand?'
The elf smiled sadly. 'Yes, I do, Dandilion,' he said. 'I do.'
'You haven't got enough strength left, Yennefer.'
'You underestimate my strength.
The wish, Geralt!'
'No, Yennefer. I can't . . . The djinn might fulfil it, but it won't spare you. It'll kill you when it's free. It'll take its revenge on you . . .
You won't manage to catch it and you won't manage to defend yourself against it. You're weakened, you can barely stand. You'll die, Yennefer.'
'That's my risk!' she shouted, enraged. 'What's it to you what happens to me? Think rather what the djinn can give you! You've still got one wish! You can ask what you like! Make use of it! Use it, witcher! You can have anything! Anything!'
'Are they both going to die?' wailed Dandilion. 'How come? Krepp, why? After all, the witcher— Why, by all perfidious and unexpected plagues, isn't he escaping? Why? What's keeping him? Why doesn't he leave that bloody witch to her fate and run away? It's senseless!'
'Absolutely senseless,' repeated Chireadan bitterly. 'Absolutely.'
'It's suicide. And plain idiocy!'
'It's his job, after all,' interrupted Neville. 'The witcher's saving my town. May the gods be my witness - if he defeats the witch and chases the demon away,
I'll reward him handsomely . . .'
Dandilion snatched the hat decorated with a heron's feather from his head, spat into it, threw it in the mud and trampled on it, spitting out words in various languages as he did.
'But he's . . . 'he groaned suddenly, 'still got one wish in reserve! He could save both her and himself! Mr Krepp!'
'It's not that simple,' the priest pondered. 'But if . . . If he expressed the right wish ... If he somehow tied his fate to the fate . . . No, I don't think it would occur to him. And it's probably better that it doesn't.'
FATE, not love!

'The wish, Geralt! Hurry up! What do you desire? Immortality? Riches? Fame? Power? Might? Privileges?
Hurry, we haven't any time!'
He was silent.
'Humanity,' she said suddenly, smiling nastily.
'I've guessed, haven't I? That's what you want, that's what you dream of! Of release, of the freedom to be who you want, not who you have to be. The djinn will fulfil that wish, Geralt. Just say it.'
He stayed silent.
She stood over him in the nickering radiance of the wizard's sphere, in the glow of magic, amidst the flashes of rays restraining the djinn, streaming hair and eyes blazing violet, erect, slender, dark, terrible . . .
And beautiful.
All of a sudden she leant over and looked him in the eyes. He caught the scent of lilac and gooseberries.

'You're not saying anything,' she hissed. 'So what is it you desire, witcher? What is your most hidden dream? Is it that you don't know or you can't decide? Look for it within yourself, look deeply and carefully because, I swear by the Force, you won't get another chance like this!'
But he suddenly knew the truth. He knew it. He knew what she used to be. What she remembered, what she couldn't forget, what she lived with. Who she really was before she had become a sorceress.
Her cold, penetrating, angry and wise eyes were those of a hunchback.
He was horrified. No, not of the truth. He was horrified that she would read his thoughts, find out what he had guessed. That she would never forgive him for it. He deadened that thought within himself, killed it, threw it from his memory forever, without trace, feeling, as he did so, enormous relief. Feeling that—
The ceiling cracked open. The djinn, entangled in the net of the now fading rays, tumbled right on top of them, roaring, and in that roar were triumph and murder lust. Yennefer leapt to meet him. Light beamed from her hands. Very feeble light.
The djinn opened his mouth and stretched his paws towards her.
The witcher suddenly understood what it was he wanted.
And he made his wish.

Wait,' she whispered. 'That wish of yours ... I heard what you wished for. I was astounded, simply astounded. I'd have expected anything but to . . . What made you do it, Geralt? Why . . . Why me?'
'Don't you know?'
She leant over him, touched him. He felt her hair, smelling of lilac and gooseberries, brush his face and he suddenly knew that he'd never forget that scent, that soft touch, knew that he'd never be able to compare it to any other scent or touch. Yennefer kissed him and he understood that he'd never desire any lips other than hers, so soft and moist, sweet with lipstick. He knew that, from that moment, only she would exist, her neck, shoulders and breasts freed from her black dress, her delicate, cool skin, which couldn't be compared to any other he had ever touched. He gazed into her violet eyes, the most beautiful eyes in the world, eyes which he feared would become . . .
Everything. He knew.
'Your wish,' she whispered, her lips very near his ear. 'I don't know whether such a wish can ever be fulfilled. I don't know whether there's such a Force in Nature that could fulfil such a wish. But if there is, then you've condemned yourself. Condemned yourself to me.'
He interrupted her with a kiss, an embrace, a touch, caresses and then with everything, his whole being, his every thought, his only thought, everything, everything, everything. They broke the silence with sighs and the rustle of clothing strewn on the floor. They broke the silence very gently, lazily, and they were considerate and very thorough. They were caring and tender and, although neither quite knew what caring and tenderness were, they succeeded because they very much wanted to. And they were in no hurry whatsoever. The whole world had ceased to exist for a brief moment, but to them, it seemed like a whole eternity.
And then the world started to exist again; but it existed very differently.

'Geralt?'
'Mmm?'
'What now?'
'I don't know.'
'Nor do I. Because, you see, I ... I don't know whether it was worth condemning yourself to me. I don't know how— Wait, what are you doing . . .? I wanted to tell you—'
'Yennefer . . . Yen.'
'Yen,' she repeated, giving in to him completely. 'Nobody's ever called me that. Say it again.'
'Yen.' 'Geralt.'
He is feeling something he can't understand.
He is doing something, what is irrational.
He is saving a woman, which never asked to be saved.
He is condemning himself, his own life, to her, a sorceress, a beautiful woman from the outside, with an ugly character on the inside.
He is seeing her true character and still want to save her, be with her.
He, a mutant, a nonhuman, a killer without feelings, ruthless, neutral, merciless, a Witcher does one of the most iconic feature of a human being, having empathy with another person despite whoever that person is.

If he didn't do it out of love, i will be damned.

But that's only one side of the relationship, the other side, Yennefer's, is harder to explain as we have only Geralt and Ciri as POV characters in the books.

I would say that she didn't already loved him at this point, that's for sure, yet she was really moved by his dedication and unselfish final wish. That someone who saw her real character still did something so unselfish for her, that was just unexplainable for her. In all her life nobody ever did this to her, she only knew people, who tried to exploit, use and prey on her.
In a later chapter, Ice Shard, her side of the relationship will be better explained. That chapter is about how she finally accepts her feelings for him or at least admit to herself that she is capable of love and that Geralt is the only one she will ever love. It still take time before both of them actually confess it to each other, but both already knew it, yet both were too scared to say it.

But why oh why do I still like this quest? In the manner described you might think I have to hate it, but that's not necessary the case, because the quest shows you exactly what I tried to tell you earlier. The Last Wish by Geralt was never about love, but he uttered his wish because of love to her, and this is what The Last Wish (Quest) is about. Yes, Yennefer wants to capture this djinn to cancel his wish, but why? This is more important than the wish itself, just like in the books.

She wants to know whether what she is feeling is a product of herself or a scheme by a djinn, but the reason why she uttered her wish is motivated by love just like when Geralt did it.

She could have wished for anything just like Geralt, but she didn't. Why? Because of love to him.

The way this has been executed is honestly rather loving and romantic, however why is that such a bad thing at the same time? Because the doubts are artificially and purely created by the game.

Neither Geralt nor Yennefer had any doubts anymore after Thanedd about their true feelings, they were already at peace with each other.

Time of Contempt
Yes, he answered in his thoughts, you’re not mistaken. There is only she, Yennefer, at my side, here and now, and only she matters. Here and now.
And what she was long ago, where she was long ago and who she was with long ago doesn’t have any, doesn’t have the slightest, importance. Now she’s with me, here, among you all. With me, with no one else. That’s what I’m thinking right now, thinking only about her, thinking endlessly about her, smelling the scent of her perfume and the warmth of her body. And you can all choke on your envy.

The enchantress squeezed his forearm firmly and moved closer to his side.
‘Thank you,’ she murmured, guiding him towards the tables once again. ‘But without such excessive ostentation, if you don’t mind.’
‘Do you mages always take sincerity for ostentation? Is that why you don’t believe in sincerity, even when you read it in someone’s mind?’
‘Yes. That is why.’
‘But you still thank me?’
‘Because I believe you,’ she said, squeezing his arm even tighter and picking up a plate. ‘Give me a little salmon, Witcher. And some crab.’
‘These crabs are from Poviss. They were probably caught a month ago; and it’s really hot right now. Aren’t you worried . . . ?’
‘These crabs,’ she interrupted, ‘were still creeping along the seabed this morning. Teleportation is a wonderful invention.’
‘Indeed,’ he concurred. ‘It ought to be made more widely available, don’t you think?’
‘We’re working on it. Come on, give me some. I’m hungry.’
‘I love you, Yen.’
‘I said drop the ostentation . . .’ she broke off, tossed her head, drew some black curls away from her cheek and opened her violet eyes wide. ‘Geralt! It’s the first time you’ve ever said that!
‘It can’t be. You’re making fun of me.’
‘No, no I’m not. You used only to think it, but today you said it.’
Is there such a difference?
A huge one.
‘Yen . . .’
‘Don’t talk with your mouth full. I love you too. Haven’t I ever told you? Heavens, you’ll choke! Lift your arms up and I’ll thump you in the back. Take some deep breaths.’
‘Yen . . .’
‘Keep breathing, it’ll soon pass.’
‘Yen!’
‘Yes. I’m repaying sincerity with sincerity.’
‘Are you feeling all right?’
‘I was waiting,’ she said, squeezing lemon on the salmon. ‘It wouldn’t have been proper to react to a declaration made as a thought. I was waiting for the words. I was able to reply, so I replied. I feel wonderful.’

Sapkowski was already done with the development of their relationship and let it end at a state, in which both would have giving their life for the other one. They were even willing to die for Ciri's sake as long as they did it together and in each others arms. At this point I think nothing would have ever changed their mind.

There was no need to confirm this again or scatter unnecessary doubts about it, yet I do understand that CDPR had to tell something about their relationship and therefore this

Y: Hmm…. I expected… I don’t know what I expected, actually. A bit of vertigo, perhaps.
Y: I thought… you’d become a stranger to me… That I’d look at you and not feel a thing…
Y: But it’s not like that at all. Nothing’s changed.
G: Djinn mighta cheated us after all…
Y: Why?
G: Cause I don’t feel that anything’s changed, either.

is music to my ears, the game awknowledged what the books already confirmed long ago, what Geralt and Yennefer confirmed long ago in the books, that they are soulmates and truly love each other, just like they already shown in the books.

However if you chose otherwise at the end of the quest, it makes everything kinda meh and ad absurdum, to a degree it even makes mockery of what happend about them in the books with this, which kinda feels like a stab into the heart (literally), though I decided to see the good in this and take it for what it is, a tribute to an unique relationship.

Last edited:
After I finished to read the books and play all the games, my thoughts about this one, are the same, it is a beautiful love story in the mist of almost grim world...

I've never read the books. and played only Witcher 2 and 3. But i do actually understand their love. They do have something amazing together even i relationship is a bit messy sometimes. I would really love to read all of the books. just need to understand in wich order i should buy them. Wichter saga did for sure touched my heart and mind. Im in bit over hundret hours in W3 and cannot stop playing. The game is simply amazing. Yen and Gearlt is awesome. i haven't hesitate any second in my first playthru. It would be simply Yennefer even if in W2 game it was Triss.

P.S Im really sorry if my english is bit crappy!

Top Bottom