"The Northern realms? Don't you mean Radovid's realms?"

+
When I first played TW2, I played to get every possible political variation on the endgames. After we knew more about TW3, I've put all of those savegames to one side, and did a new set based on "keep individuals alive" because I don't think the political choices will make any difference. Except maybe that we'll get different explanations on exactly how the world got in this state.

I don't think that Radovid had any knowledge of Nilfgaard's plans, and that throughout the first two games he was looking only at ways of improving his own status in the North. I think that he was intelligent and devious enough to have been able to see through Shilard's lies, but chose NOT to see through them because they suited his purpose.

And I think that he would definitely NOT come to any agreement with Nilfgaard after the invasion, so I totally agree with the viewpoint that he'll be at the centre of any coming-together of the Northern factions to stand against Nilfgaard. And that he's pragmatic, so he'd have taken steps to stop the witch-hunt against the mages and sorceresses once he knew about the invasion. I'm not sure that would include a reconciliation with Philippa though, his hatred of her is too personal.

And I'm calling this here, so everyone can laugh at me if I'm wrong when the game comes out or if I missed something in TW2 (I've only played through Lilies and Vipers twice).

I'm convinced that Boussy is still alive, and being held by the Nilfgaardians, and that they will use him at some point as leverage against the North. I don't think that there was any credible first-person evidence of his death, everyone who said he was dead either had good reason to lie, or were simply repeating information they'd got from someone else. Anyone using Anais as a bargaining chip had an interest in making people THINK that Boussy was dead, but also had an interest in keeping him alive and hidden away so that they could wheel him out in the future.

When I first played TW2, I played to get every possible political variation on the endgames. After we knew more about TW3, I've put all of those savegames to one side, and did a new set based on "keep individuals alive" because I don't think the political choices will make any difference. Except maybe that we'll get different explanations on exactly how the world got in this state.

I don't think that Radovid had any knowledge of Nilfgaard's plans, and that throughout the first two games he was looking only at ways of improving his own status in the North. I think that he was intelligent and devious enough to have been able to see through Shilard's lies, but chose NOT to see through them because they suited his purpose.

And I think that he would definitely NOT come to any agreement with Nilfgaard after the invasion, so I totally agree with the viewpoint that he'll be at the centre of any coming-together of the Northern factions to stand against Nilfgaard. And that he's pragmatic, so he'd have taken steps to stop the witch-hunt against the mages and sorceresses once he knew about the invasion. I'm not sure that would include a reconciliation with Philippa though, his hatred of her is too personal.

And I'm calling this here, so everyone can laugh at me if I'm wrong when the game comes out or if I missed something in TW2 (I've only played through Lilies and Vipers twice).

I'm convinced that Boussy is still alive, and being held by the Nilfgaardians, and that they will use him at some point as leverage against the North. I don't think that there was any credible first-person evidence of his death, everyone who said he was dead either had good reason to lie, or were simply repeating information they'd got from someone else. Anyone using Anais as a bargaining chip had an interest in making people THINK that Boussy was dead, but also had an interest in keeping him alive and hidden away so that they could wheel him out in the future.

I never even thought that Boussy could be alive, but when you think about it it makes perfect sense for Nilfgaard to have him. Radovid/Natalis would wheel out Anais, and say "look, Temeria is hers", but then Nilfgaard could wheel out Boussy, and say "look, he's the true heir" and then install him as a puppet ruling over Temeria, regardless of the wars outcome.

It is very Game of Thrones.

I never even thought that Boussy could be alive, but when you think about it it makes perfect sense for Nilfgaard to have him. Radovid/Natalis would wheel out Anais, and say "look, Temeria is hers", but then Nilfgaard could wheel out Boussy, and say "look, he's the true heir" and then install him as a puppet ruling over Temeria, regardless of the wars outcome.

It is very Game of Thrones.

It would make even more sense for Nilfgaard to go to their victim and say "You know that Princess you've got who you're planning to use to legitimise your claim on Temeria? Well, guess who we have. And unless you do us favours for the next ten years or so, we'll go public".

My feeling is that was the initial plan, the target being Henselt.

Blackmail - the gift that keeps on giving.

Well, if Boussy's kidnapped and not dead like Geralt assumed in TW2, a lot of factions/people could have been responsible for that, trying to get leverage and to gain political power. It could have been a rival from the north or a political party within Temeria. I'd say even the Scoia'tael could have done it. Or the Lodge - of course without telling somebody yet...

There is a whole bunch of possibilities what could have happened to Boussy and how he's "used" if he isn't dead after all...

The strongest evidence found was Count Maravel's letter in Lilies and Vipers, which reported the death of Boussy, and showed him to be in Nilfgaardian pay. Of course, it can be interpreted in many ways. It could simply be true. It could have been written by Count Maravel because he wanted Boussy for future use, and he was lying to the Nilfgaardians, or it could have been planted, in which case yes, it could have been anyone, including the Nilfgaardians themselves (getting rid of an unwanted ally, and reinforcing the belief that Boussy was dead).

I think the Nilfgaardians the most likely, followed by Maravel or Radovid. (Radovid because he was already planning to get control of Anais, and would definitely NOT want Boussy around if he succeeded, but it would be useful to have Boussy as a back-up plan if Henselt or Natalis got Anais)

Last edited:
Why not the Scoia'tael? They could try to trade in Boussy for the independence of Dol Blathanna.

As far as I remember It was never clearly said that Philipa ploted the murder of Vizimir.
Viziimir died by elven assassin, so to me it looks more like Nilfgard's plot.
It was never 100% clear. But I think it's pretty much a given thing that she was at least involved, even if she didn't order it personally. It's pretty hard to imagine that she didn't know who was responsible for it but she kept it to herself. Talking about the assassination to her almost got Dijkstra killed, her most loyal ally in Novigrad. So there must something to hide that is worth killing even high profile targets. Something Philippa doesn't want to get discovered...

If you want to look behind the curtain of any plot or scheme just evalute who benefits the most. Then in most cases you have the person(s) responsible for it. ;)

Well, let's see what the books tell us about the topic:

"Vivant" The parade stretched out and the crowd of Novigrad's inhabitants already showed signs of tedium and hoarse. "Vivant! Give them three cheers!"
"Hooray!"
"Glory to the kings! Glory!"
"Philippa Eilhart watched her surrroundings, making sure nobody was listening, and then leaned towards Djikstra:
"What do you want to talk to me about?"
The spy leaned forward as well. "About the assassination of king Wisimir in last July."
"What?"
"The half-elf who commited the murder", Dijkstra whispered even quieter, "he wasn't crazy, Philippa, not at all. And he didn't act alone."
"What are you saying?"
"Quieter." Dijkstra smiled. "Quieter, Phil."
"Don't call me Phil. Do you have any proof? What kind of proof? From where?"
"You would be suprised if I told you from where. When can I expect an audience, your grace?"
Philippa Eilharts eyes resembled two black, bottomless seas. "Soon, Dijkstra."
The bells tolled. The crowd cheered hoarsely. The troops marched by. The petals of many different flowers covered Novigrad's pavement like snow.

"You're still writing?"
Ori Reuven cringed, causing a blob on the paper. He has been serving for 19 years, but he never became accustomed to the silent movements of his boss, to his manner of appearing suddenly from out of nowhere.
"Good evening, hm, your gra...."
"The people from the Shadows" - Dijkstra read the cover of the manuscript which he had grabbed from the table. "History of the royal secret services, written down by Oribasius Gianfranco Paolo Reuven, Magister..., come on, Ori, Ori. Such an old lad and such nonsense..."
"Ahem..."
"I came to say goodbye, Ori."
Reuven glanced at him, staggered.
"Look, old friend", the spy continued without waiting for the old secretary to caw something in response, "I'm old as well, and, only recently proven, also dumb. I've said a word to ONE person. Just one. And just one word. It was a word too much and a person too much. Strain your ears, Ori. Do you hear them?"
Ori Reuven's eyes widened and he shook his head in surprise.
Dijkstra kept silent for a moment. "You don't hear them," he noted. "But I do hear them. In all corridors. The rats are running through the castle of Tretogor, Ori. They'll come here. They'll come here on soft rat paws."

Last edited:
Why not the Scoia'tael? They could try to trade in Boussy for the independence of Dol Blathanna.

Means, motive, opportunity.
I totally agree with you about motive, there are a LOT of people/groups would have that - any noble who was ambitious, any group seeing leverage. That would include the Scoia'tel and the Lodge. I'm putting my money on the three I mentioned just because they were in a better position in terms of means and opportunity.

Of course, if I'm right, then there's no reason why Boussy might not change hands a few times so, yes, he could also end up in someone else's possession. He's a valuable asset.

And thanks for finding that quote.

Top Bottom