The Over-40 Hang-out

+
gamewidow said:
I'll bear that in mind (as I inspect all 5'4" of me) :) -- my *little* (read younger) sister would give you a run for your money :) 5'11"
She's 5' 11" and you're 5' 4"? What, didn't they feed you when you were a kid? :)My first serious boyfriend was 5' 2", and total strangers used to stop us on the street to point out that he was shorter than I was. People frequently asked us how we manged to kiss, even though I've never, ever heard of a 5' 10" man and a 5' 2" woman being asked how they manage to kiss. People can be really weird about height, but it never bothered the two of us; as far as he was concerned, in addition to whatever other virtues I possessed, I was useful for changing light bulbs in ceiling fixtures. :)

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I'll bear that in mind (as I inspect all 5'4" of me) :) -- my *little* (read younger) sister would give you a run for your money :) 5'11"
She's 5' 11" and you're 5' 4"? What, didn't they feed you when you were a kid? :)My first serious boyfriend was 5' 2", and total strangers used to stop us on the street to point out that he was shorter than I was. People frequently asked us how we manged to kiss, even though I've never, ever heard of a 5' 10" man and a 5' 2" woman being asked how they manage to kiss. People can be really weird about height, but it never bothered the two of us; as far as he was concerned, in addition to whatever other virtues I possessed, I was useful for changing light bulbs in ceiling fixtures. :)
My first serious girlfriend was just under 5' 0", and let me tell you kissing (and certain other activities indulged in by young lovers) could be awkward and very uncomfortable - we both of us had seriously cricked necks for the duration of the relationship. I have since discovered techniques for interacting with partners of markedly different stature, but one think you cannot do comfortably is both stand upright on the same bit of level ground and kiss.

she's the freak, not me :) -- comparatively speaking of course! as french canadians, most of my family is on the shorter side of average, but there are a few tall women scattered about every other generation or so ... no really tall guys ;DAnd she hated me as I got all the tall boyfriends and she was constantly being asked out by the shorter ones ... which *she* had a problem with :)

I have five aunts and uncles who were members of the Tip Toppers Club at one time or another. 6'2" myself. Fun stuff! But these days I find I would no longer be the tallest in my class, given the increased in height of some of the youth of today.~ Roxy

gamewidow said:
lucky :) .. i'll simply have to settle for brains and beauty ;D
I have some I could lend, if you're interested.
~ Roxy

41 years old and enjoying every minute of it.Not really. I lied.At least I have The Witcher, but: I had to do a re-format of my whole PC so now I have to start the game from the beginning.I gave up smoking 7weeks ago and it's the best thing I've ever done!Not really, it isn't; because now my life is even more desperately miserable and I have developed really bad gas.Apart from this, everything is just dandy!Hello over-40's! :)

Scrat said:
41 years old and enjoying every minute of it.Not really. I lied.At least I have The Witcher, but: I had to do a re-format of my whole PC so now I have to start the game from the beginning.I gave up smoking 7weeks ago and it's the best thing I've ever done!Not really, it isn't; because now my life is even more desperately miserable and I have developed really bad gas.Apart from this, everything is just dandy!Hello over-40's! :)
If it's any comfort, every decade of my life has been happier than the one before it. Life is mostly shit, but it gets better as you get older.

gamewidow said:
I meant lucky you for being tall :)
6' 2"? Do you know how hard it is to find clothes to fit you when you're that tall? The average American woman is 5' 5", and I imagine Canadians are much the same; the farther one gets from average, the more difficult it is to find anything to wear. And I'm not talking haute couture; I'm talking something to cover one's body so as to avoid being arrested. 5' 4" is good!
gamewidow said:
she's the freak, not me :)
Hi, Aunt Petunia. Gotten the pig's tail off of Dudley's backside yet?
gamewidow said:
as french canadians,
Ah, French Canadians! My new brother-in-law is French Canadian, and he's truly wonderful. He's as lively as a Frenchman and as nice as a Canadian -- truly the best of both worlds. He comes with a large, boisterous, very friendly family, which was rather a shock for my husband's small, low-key, introverted family. I want to be French Canadian in my next life!

SimonBrooke said:
My first serious girlfriend was just under 5' 0", and let me tell you kissing (and certain other activities indulged in by young lovers) could be awkward and very uncomfortable - we both of us had seriously cricked necks for the duration of the relationship. I have since discovered techniques for interacting with partners of markedly different stature, but one think you cannot do comfortably is both stand upright on the same bit of level ground and kiss.
All true, but I bet you weren't frequently stopped on the street by total strangers who wanted to know how you managed to kiss each other. I wasn't saying that a pronounced height difference came with no logistical difficulties, just that people seemed to think it was a MUCH bigger deal if it was the woman who was the taller partner, rather than if it was the man who was, even if the height difference was exactly the same.My husband is 6' 4", and someone who didn't know me well asked me what I had against shorter guys, that I'd married such a tall man. I said, "I don't make a point of seeking out tall men; tall men make a point of seeking me out; it hurts their necks less to talk to me."

gamewidow said:
I project taller :)
That reminds me of Anita Blake -- do you read Laurell K. Hamilton? Anita is a vampire-slayer and one tough lady. She's also 5' 3". People who know her by reputation often say, "I thought you'd be taller" when meeting her for the first time. She's taken to answering, "I know. Sometimes it disappoints me, too." (If you haven't read the Anita books but would like to, start with Guilty Pleasures.)

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I project taller :)
That reminds me of Anita Blake -- do you read Laurell K. Hamilton? Anita is a vampire-slayer and one tough lady. She's also 5' 3". People who know her by reputation often say, "I thought you'd be taller" when meeting her for the first time. She's taken to answering, "I know. Sometimes it disappoints me, too." (If you haven't read the Anita books but would like to, start with Guilty Pleasures.)
What is it with American fiction and the 'monsters in contemporary America' meme? Is it just the commercial success of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or is their some underlying national anxiety that's being expressed here? There seem to be - quite suddenly - an awful lot of these books coming out. Patricia Briggs, who was an intelligent and interesting writer of thoughtful fantasy, has turned to werewolves-in-Amerika, and I find her new books much less thoughtful and interesting. Am I missing something?

I developed slowly. I did not break five foot until the summer before I started 8th grade. Then BAM! 8 inches in three-four months! My parents were so concerned they thought I had developed some wierd developmental disease they took me to four doctors. Personally, I think it was the sex, booze, and just trying to stay alive in the 60's in general. For a guy, being under 5 foot tall in middle school can be a little rough. But I never had the problem with kissing everybody else seems to have had. Then again, I don't recall being that picky about WHERE I kissed them either. In fact, I remember being quite content with kissing those parts I could reach. It seemed ... "popular". :whistle:

What is it with American fiction and the 'monsters in contemporary America' meme?
You want me to analyze the psyche of an entire nation? That may be beyond even me. :) Besides, the way that most Americans think is as much a mystery to me as it is to you -- the fact that George Bush was ever elected to ANYthing, even with the not-so-subtle help of the Supreme Court, stunned me, and I thought I'd already become cynical enough to believe anything.Besides, you're here on a forum devoted to a game where the player spends a lot of time killing monsters -- what's going on in Scotland that you need to slay monsters? Er, it's fun? No, that can't be it. :)A friend of mine is a professional writer, and she's published 15 hard SF novels. She's now writing a trilogy of paranormal romances starring a group of succubi (succubusses?). The reason? The publishing industry has become controlled by the money men, instead of by people who love books. There are some paranormal books that have sold well, so the "market" is being flooded with them. If it's easier for a writer to sell a vampire novel than a hard SF novel, well, writers have to eat, too. But, if you want me to spin theories out of thin air as to why this might be an American phenomenon, I have an idea or two. (Great, get me to start thinking. Like I don't do that enough to drive myself crazy to begin with. :) ) One possibility: America was settled by pioneers, people who went into the unknown with a handful of primitive technology and a lot of hope. The frontier was a good place for the wilder elements of our society: people who craved excitement or who couldn't follow rules very well or who needed to explore the unknown. But the frontier is full now. Google Earth will give you a map of anyplace in the country, and there is no place that's all that far away from civilization. But an awful lot of folks still need what the frontier used to offer. Those who are both financially well off and physically fit go water-skiing or hang-gliding or something like that, but most of our people lack either the physical or the financial resources to pull that off. So people turn to all sorts of other things, one of which is books about vampires, werewolves, and other such things.Another idea: There isn't a whole lot of mystery left in the world. The weather reports have gotten a LOT more reliable in the 50 years I've been alive, science has explained an awful lot of things, religion -- although it still has a grip on more of my fellow citizens than I would like -- is much less pervasive than it was during the era when EVERYbody went to church. Our money-obsessed culture reduces everything to dollars and cents, so unquantifiable things like the amount of misery caused by a hurricane are expressed as "Hurricane Katrina caused damage costing $2,000,000,000." An awful lot of things either are or seem to be known, quantified, filed, and reduced to a statistic. There isn't much romance left in the world, and I don't mean the relationship kind. Books about vampires and whatnot make the world less mundane for a time.I personally like the Anita books because she's a tough woman who really knows how to kick a s s. There are lots of books, movies, etc. for men about tough men, but stories about tough women are harder to come by. Anita is basically a superhero, and reading about her feeds something in me that longs for a world where women are strong and powerful. And the fact that she's 5' 3" only makes it better, because it makes her seem more ordinary. She didn't get bitten by a radioactive spider, she's not from another planet, she's not a wealthy inventor who can make all sorts of helpful items. She gets by on guts and determination, and I really like her. The last few books have started seeming sort of soap-operaish, but even in the latest one, the person who is kidnapped by the bad guys is her boyfriend, and the one who escapes her confinement and guns down the bad guys is Anita. The fact that she managed to get out of confinement because the bad guys didn't think a woman was any threat, so they weren't very careful with her, only makes it better. Underestimate us and get it right between the eyes! Er, ahem. We now return you to your regularly civilized Corylea. :)

at the risk of being flamed ..."America", the concept, was created by "pioneers, people who went into the unknown with a handful of primitive technology and a lot of hope", despite the fact that nations were already established therepuh-leasebut on a more positive note, i think Anita sounds cool and i shall pick up Guilty Pleasure asap ... as soon as i finish Le Sang des Elfes which is due in my mailbox any day now

gamewidow said:
at the risk of being flamed ..."America", the concept, was created by "pioneers, people who went into the unknown with a handful of primitive technology and a lot of hope", despite the fact that nations were already established therepuh-lease
There were no Indians living in Canada? There are no Canadians living today on land that used to belong to someone else? Really?

Top Bottom