The Politics of The Witcher 2. Part 3: The War for the Pontar Valley

+
Saskia's real dragon name is Saesenthessis. The dragon in Act 3 is Saskia, being controlled by Philippa Eilhart thanks to the spell she used in Act 2 (the kiss with the rose of remembrance). Saskia must have slipped from the meeting as the Knights of the Order came in, transformed into a dragon and came to Sile's defense.

Uh, okay then, thanks. That makes more sense. So I guess the devs just forgot to leave a big enough window between the last view of her and the appearance of the dragon.

Under the absolute worst circumstances, is Radovid the last major Northern King alive?

Demavend: Killed before W2.
Foltest: Killed in Prologue.
Henselt: Killed by Roche.

That leaves us with Radovid. There's no way in hell he can resist a Nilfgaardian Invasion. The North is fucked.

HighKing said:
Under the absolute worst circumstances, is Radovid the last major Northern King alive?

That leaves us with Radovid. There's no way in hell he can resist a Nilfgaardian Invasion. The North is fucked.

Made even worse if Saskia and / or Stennis are dead. And Henselt has no heir to boot.

In such a scenario, I highly doubt Radovid would be able to mount an effective defense, in both the western and eastern fronts.

HighKing said:

Yes, Radovid is potentially the last king standing. But other enemies who have run afoul of the little upstart have paid dearly for their miscalculation.

Also, he is not the last war leader. The Order of the Flaming Rose (whether under Siegfried or not) is loyal to Radovid, and one should never underestimate the power of a large, heavily armed, well trained body of b***dy-minded fanatics. Constable John Natalis is a patriot in command of a still-powerful army, for so long as he can hold it together, which may not be long. And there may be leadership to be found in the remnants of Kaedwen's and Aedirn's armies, but without acknowledged commanders it will be difficult to keep them from going home and hammering their swords and spears into plows and pruning hooks.

I don't think Radovid will be any pushover even if he and the Order stand alone at the Pontar. But the war goes not in his favor; he may do better to lose the war and later win the peace. "Make haste to welcome your enemies, for you may betray them at your leisure." [St. Lebioda, "Sermon in the Trench"]

KnightofPhoenix said:
This example goes to show the remarkable writing behind TW2's story. Had it been another developer, the war would have been focused almost entirely on one aspect, such as class conflict or racism. They would have made this war based solely on freedom fighters fighting for equality against a conservative power.

This. CDPR really makes the most of their source material, masterfully flashing out characters who were in the background before the games and keeping to the multilayered politics of the world.

This was an excellent read indeed. My only regret is that I let Stennis be lynched, much to my enjoyment at the time. But if I played the game as myself, there'd be no one left alive, just so the invasion of my Emperor would go smoothly and with ease.

Anyway, I wonder. What do you think about Radovid's massacre of mages when Triss is not saved? Is he not playing right into the hands of Emhyr this way? For someone seeming to have impressive understanding of political games and the best intelligence in the North, is it that hard see or even suspect with monarchs being killed left and right, and a Shilard popping up everywhere, weaving his spider web, that another attempt of invasion is knocking at their door? Having personal/political issues with Philppa is one thing, but a massacre of people who proved to be very useful in the war before? I'm disappointed.

Oh wait, maybe I'll get my answer in the next one. Off I go then.

HighKing said:

Well there is still the Kings to the north and everyone paid the last time they underestimated Kovir and Poviss

Top Bottom