The Witcher game's main themes.

+
The Witcher game's main themes.

Soo,I know this is maybe a weird discussion topic,but I,like 95.5% of the people who played all the Witcher 3 REALLY love the main Witcher theme.You know the one I am talking about,it's that little part from the soundtrack "Geralt of Rivia" that stands out,and can be heard in the Witcher 3 main menu.If for some reason you still don't know it,here it is :D https://youtu.be/H6N4tbcvlIw

So I have thought "why shouldn't I make a little "history" of the Witcher theme(and,hopefully,whole soundtrack,if it's possible cause it's 5:11 AM here and I am very tired).So,let's get started shall we?Here it is.The history of "The Witcher" series' main theme.

For the first Witcher game,the developers hired composers Adam Skorupa and Paweł Błaszczak to make a soundtrack that fits the game's atmosphere perffectly,down to grim tones to brighter,more lively tones.It is officially composed of 30! tracks(30,because we add the main theme that is on the main menu),and it's duration(adding the main menu theme) is of 78 minutes and 48 seconds.Aditional performers,for example,the vocals,are Karolina Cel — solo violin (track 11), Iwona Malczewska — vocals (tracks 01, 03, 04, 09, 15, 19, 26) and Adam Skorupa — vocals (track 07). The soundtrack also features an Elven ballad, Elaine Ettariel - an elven ballad about the heroine Ettariel.The ballad is in Elder Speech; the name translates as Ettariel the Beautiful. This ballad was first mentioned and sung by Master Dandelion in the witcher book "Times of Contempt" and he also attempted to translate the lyrics.In the first Witcher game,the soundtrack appeared at the beggining of ACT IV.

I have to admit I only played the first Witcher game in 2012,and what struck me most about the game was the story and the soundtrack. I didn't like high-fantasy games that much,and I got the game out of pure curiosity.And here I was,staring at the beautiful, water-painted moving main menu background,when the Witcher theme started.The chills I felt on the back as the instruments started joining an armony of tunes and vibrations,ooh so satisfying.I thought then that this sure has to be the main theme,and to my suprise,it turned out to be.For those who maybe didn't play the first game,here is the main menu theme,starting at the part I am talking about.But by all means,listen to the whole song if you want! https://youtu.be/SIuh8F_RROg

After finishing the game in a handfull of days,I realized that the main theme matched the atmosphere of the game PERFECTLY.It starts slow,letting you learn about the world,and then it starts with a scream,telling you that the world of The Witcher is not a place of pure joy and happiness,oh no.That first impression is what made me a huge fan of the series.The first impression,always counts.

I immediatly picked up The Witcher 2:Assassins of Kings and here I was again, at the main menu, admiring the beautifull moving trees in the background and the graphic fidelity,when the main menu theme started.This tame,a never-forgetting symphony of "hard" and "dark" tunes started,telling me "beware,for dark and cruel times lie ahead".Ooh how right they were,cause the story and atmosphere of the second game were horrible in the best way possible!Vile sorcerrers,assassins,big giant octopuses(?) blood and dead people.

The soundtrack of The Witcher 2:Assassins of Kings was composed by Adam Skorupa and Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz. The soundtrack CD is included with the game. It consists of 23 tracks with the total running time of approximately 73 minutes 1 second. On the Gog.com version, there are 23 more tracks. As I've played the game I came across a lot of great songs,like "The path of a kingslayer" or the main menu theme(cause this is all about main themes) "Assassins of Kings". Finishing the game,I realized the composers did it a second time,matched the soundtrack with the game perfectly and,of course,by seeing the ending of the game, I was sure they will do it again in the third installment.

On February the 3rd 2013, The Reveal trailer launched for The Witcher 3:Wild Hunt,with a bang.The short trailer,depicting the wolf medalion(that I can't seem to be able to buy cause I don't know why it tells me the order cant be place.No,seriously,hAlp,pLoX) painted in blood and A BIT OF THE FIRST WITCHER MAIN MENU THEME.I was so happy that they will release the third game,and I was even more happier that the theme I loved a year before the reveal trailer will make it into the Witcher 3 game.The other trailers confirmed that for me.This time though,the main theme seemed to be more angry,more cruel, more dark.

The soundtrack for The Witcher 3:Wild Hunt was composed by Marcin Przybyłowicz, Mikolai Stroinski and the one band that we all love,PERCIVAL.The Official CD consists of 35 tracks,though there are many more,like many Skellige combat tracks(WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE SONG THAT PLAYS DURING THE ISLE OF MISTS PART,THE COMBAT ONE?PLEASE,WHY NOT INCLUDE IT IN THE OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK)

May 19th 2015 came and I bought the game for the PS4,2 months before buying the actual PS4(No,really.Asked my brother about it,I took some of his money) ANYWAY.I was treated to a nice "thank you" card that made me cry,a nice Compedium,a beautifull water-painted map,2 stickers to stick on things,a little manual,and more importantly THE OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK. So I shove the CD in my PC as hard as I could,and listened,and the second sountrack,was the a remix of the main menu theme from the first Witcher,under the name "Geralt of Rivia" I was so happy,I kept listening to that song for a few hours.Othere soundtracks like "Silver for monsters..." and "Steel for humans" struck me with great joy and many goosebumps,as it piercied my ears with so great musical vibrations.I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about The Witcher's 3 soundtrack,but that it matched the game PERFECTLY a gain.A hat-trick,kudos to the composers,here's to you(drinks glass of wine). I bet all of you know the sountrack,but for the sake of it,here it is.The main theme: https://youtu.be/H6N4tbcvlIw

If you read all this,thank you.If I didn't seem like what the title of the thread says it is,then sorry.I just wanted to know what you guys think about the main themes.

Note:Listening to all the tracks from all the 3 games,I realized that The Witcher 2 didn't had the main theme of the first and third game,you know the one by now.That got me the wish to start this track.Maybe there is a conspiracy behind this fact?Maybe O'dim stole the secret song that should have been like the main themes from the other games?Maybe there is a secret song from The Witcher 2 that I don't know about?Maybe aliens?Maybe words?Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
,I realized that The Witcher 2 didn't had the main theme of the first and third game

Actually, the first half of the song you hear in Flotsam is built on the main theme from TW1, and you can hear the theme's notes clearly here: https://youtu.be/g2AKB7g3hr0?t=82

It then transitions into TW2's main theme and builds upon it.

But yes, much love for TW's main theme, it's a really great piece of music.

Last edited:
I just wanted to know what you guys think about the main themes.

Hm, I don't really have a strict opinion on just one song, the whole soundtracks take a special place in my memory, especially the first 2 soundtracks, since I played both games rather quickly after one another and I listened to them while reading the books.

In general I think it is nice to see one song evolve through the years, though like I said, it is the soundtrack as a whole, which will stay in my memory. When I read the books or parts of it again, I just listen to the soundtracks and it feels like home :)

I just wanted to know what you guys think about the main themes.

Witcher 1 soundtrack is absolutely amazing and imo superior compared to other two, without taking anything from TW2 and 3. It plays huge part making that magical atmosphere that Witcher 1 has that makes it so good.

I don't really have a strict opinion on just one song

I share this opinion, maybe with few exceptions in TW3 soundtrack which are Fields of Ard Skellig, just perfect to make Skelliges atmosphere what it is and Ciri's battle theme is something that feels and sounds epic and adds to Ciris character and in those gameplay sequences. All battle themes were very good in TW3. (Boss battle music in Witcher 1 though!)

These three OSTs are easily my favourites in any games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom