The Witcher Role Playing Game

+
The Witcher Role Playing Game

I was told by an aquaintance (to me this word always sounds so formal in English), that there is a Witcher pen and paper roleplaying game. But he said it is not such a well known game and it has never been translated from Polish. I was wondering, if there is anybody that has ever played it and could give some insights and opinions on the game? Also if it is canon or not. I would love to be able to play in the Witcher universe, but as I don't speak Polish, I would need at least an English version.

If it is any good, I wouldn't mind CD Project revamping it a bit and releasing a new version. :)/> I would think, as they apparently love the Cyperpunk pen and paper and they are originally Polish, they might know or love that one as well. :)/>

I would love to kick some drowners buts with a good dice roll. ^^

Huh, a Witcher role playing game. You have my attention there, fellow poster.

Never heard of it myself but hopefully there's someone in this forum that can be of assistance. Also, how popular is table top gaming in Poland? I'm curious about other countries as well. Because in Sweden, it hasn't really caught on. Or maybe I just haven't found a circle of people who regularly meet to play :(

FoggyFishburne said:
Huh, a Witcher role playing game. You have my attention there, fellow poster.

Never heard of it myself but hopefully there's someone in this forum that can be of assistance. Also, how popular is table top gaming in Poland? I'm curious about other countries as well. Because in Sweden, it hasn't really caught on. Or maybe I just haven't found a circle of people who regularly meet to play :(/>

Well I was told that in Denmark it is fairly popular, Rumania not as much. Hungary it is a bit difficult for me to find a group. Bavaria I met quite a lot of people that roleplay. Northern Germany I haven't met as many. Mostly in Germany it was either DnD or DSA, but I have also played Vampire and Call of Cthulhu. Wanted to play Engel, Shadowrun and Tribe 8, but it hasn't worked out so far. :)

Found this old thread, regarding the game: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/16988-pen-and-paper-rpg/
Not that helpful though in terms of information.

This is the game you're searching for http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Wied%C5%BAmin:_Gra_Wyobra%C5%BAni

It's correct, it's never been translated in a foreign language. It's a bit outdated, never developed further althought it countains all the Witcher bestiary, races and so on. Additionally, there is the Polish wiki article about it http://wiedzmin.wikia.com/wiki/Wied%C5%BAmin:_Gra_Wyobra%C5%BAni
If you google it, you can find a few more scattered information.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/53042/wiedzmin-gra-wyobrazni

It would be could if someone released English versions of the core rule book, monster manuals and so on, complete with illustrations!

If anyone is looking for a role-playing community, visit your local college. I'm sure it's full of RP geeks. I think after the flop that was 4E many people moved to Pathfinder, so you may want to look into that.

visit your local college

Very good advice. There's bound to be several weekly games just floating around. I pass a couple each week for sure.
4e will rob you blind. I imagine flipping through a handbook keeping track of ALL those power cards is a nightmare. I much prefer the rules light Savage Worlds. Fast! Furious! Fun! All you "need" is the 9.99 dollars US rulebook. If you watch a few games, you don't even need that. And lets not forget the completely free d20 system.

I don't know, where you guys live, but my college equivalent at home, doesn't have any like afternoon groups. (AGs in German, no idea about the English word.) There is some music groups organized, but that is about it. Sadly. I know in Britain for example it is very different, but colleges are much bigger. And here in Hungary, where I live at the moment, there are not that many people speaking English, so it is not that easy. I know about some LARPers, but that is not really my thing. Back home I found my group at uni actually. :)

But you are definitely right regarding the DnD Rulebooks, they became way too many and still you won't find every information you need. I have only played 3.0, 3.5 and 4e, so haven't tried Pathfinder yet.

I have a copy of The Witcher Pen&Paper :)/> lots and lots of good memories :)/> mechanic was a little complicated, but the world was the most important. We played mostly narrative trying to avoid mechanics :)/>
I was also a beta tester for 2nd edition, which was never published...

Also, how popular is table top gaming in Poland? I'm curious about other countries as well.

It's quite popular :)/> There is a lot of rpg conventions and there is plenty of our native titles like Neuroshima and Monastyr as well as world classics like D&D, Warhammer, Call of Cthulhu, WoD, CP2020 and so on :)/>

Even Andrzej Sapkowski wrote his own pen&paper rpg in 1995 called "Oko Yrrhedesa" ( Yrrhedes Eye??) witch was mostly mechanics without gameworld so everyone could create his own universe

Damn, do I have to learn Polish now, to play the game? :) Nothing against Polish, just there are too many languages and I am too bad at learning them. I wish all language courses were free, then I could just continue studying. But I need it interactive with a teacher that is a language scholar, to really understand a language. And there are way too few for that. :(

Mataresa said:
Damn, do I have to learn Polish now, to play the game? :)/>/>/> Nothing against Polish, just there are too many languages and I am too bad at learning them. I wish all language courses were free, then I could just continue studying. But I need it interactive with a teacher that is a language scholar, to really understand a language. And there are way too few for that. :(/>/>/>
Well Polish is among the most difficult language in the world, so learning isn't impossible but challenging.

Anyway, last week I was speaking with friends and told em to try the sci-fi wold of Mass Effect (I'm a WoD monster, but I'm tired of it). There is no corebook\manual for a PnP of that kind. So we've decided to build our own gameplay, taking the world and setting from the game. Mass Effect Wiki is extremely well done, so it will help us a lot in the lore etc.

Witcher Wiki is not as good as ME Wiki, but you could always take The Witcher games setting and monsters to create your own PnP. Wouldn't be official but... who cares?
Anyway, Witcher Wiki list of monsters and monster descriptions are taken from that rulebook, so you could enrich The Witcher games bestiary with it.

Example: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Category:Creatures

Well, Hungarian isn't supposed to be that easy either and I actually found it fairly easy to learn in terms of grammar, as I had a good teacher, who could make me understand the logic behind the language. So it all depends on the teacher, I think.

But actually, you are right, it is not such a bad idea. I could even get maybe one of the premade settingless rulebooks, or try to make my own. Sounds like a good project. Now I just have to have the time and determination to do that. :) Too bad, I am not that experienced as a DM.

But if I have something, I will surely post it here. If there is anyone else interested, we could have an exchange of ideas and discussion here. Maybe we can even do our own community PnP. :)

Mataresa said:
Too bad, I am not that experienced as a DM.
It doesn't matter, a single person could barely write a game by his\her own. If you take a look at a RPG rulebook credits, you'll see many persons taking part in it. The process of creating a game is complicated, full of obstacles, and in my experience, it is absolutely not recommended to be alone in it. Not to mention that you need at least two different groups of people for alpha and beta test.

Of course it's different when speaking of creating a campaing for an already established and determined game (Cyberpunk20, WoD, DnD, Don't Rest Your Head, Sine Requie....).
Anyway, since you're full of initiatives, you just need a group of experts to team up. Just throw your idea and see how many fishes it hooks ^^

But if I have something, I will surely post it here. If there is anyone else interested, we could have an exchange of ideas and discussion here. Maybe we can even do our own community PnP. :)/>/>/>
Oh yes that would be great and very useful. Try open a thread when you're ready, I bet all geekies here will shower in mass to help ^^

If there is not a role player game it would be GREAT to have one....It would be so cool to smack a few neckers with your friends on the weekend!!

I just read in the other thread
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34570-cdps-strategy-report-for-2013-2016/page__pid__952282#entry952282
that there will be a "Non-Computer game set in the Witcher World". If that is by any chance a PnP, I think, we should all contribute our ideas here.

I was hoping anyway to get a lot of input from the community and now even better, we can give it to CD Project. After all, they are the guys with the experience, knowledge and financial means. :)

I for one would like to see a game mimiking the idea for the monster hunting, that you can collect information about the monsters and then maybe disable certain attacks from them or weakening them. Get some preparation aspect into the game.

I am not sure though, if I would prefer a game set in the past, where more Witchers were around, or how you would integrate different races and "classes". Though I think, I would prefer a classless system, where you rather improve and focus on the abilities you want, rather than working with presets. I also like the way in Cthulhu, were you choose a profession and then decide on your skills according to that, but without a preset. And you slowly improve your skills by being succesful. No leveling and loot mania like in DnD. The game should focus on the story and intricacies. But maybe not have your characters die as easily as in Cthulhu.

I think politics, intrigue, investigation, monster slaying...

Top Bottom