This is a barebones RPG. Someone had to say it.

+
The only thing I know is that CDPR hired ex-mass effect andromeda devs. Which, tbh, perfectly explains the state of CP77.

Wow I did not know that...yikes.

download (6).gif

Guest 4406876

I see people compare to Witcher 3, RD2, and GTAs.
What I want to remind people is that these are all sequels. If you want to compare we should compare to RD1, etc.
This isn't a sequel of RD2 this is a new game. Sure, you'd think a new game would build off others out there, but if they started development -- like actual coding years ago, it may have been before those games came out.
If you want RD2, play RD2, if you want RD2 Cyber edition - well I don't know we don't have it. Maybe the devs didn't just want to repackage what others did (although that always happens), or they were making the game still when that stuff came out.

I'm hopeful for more. I don't want a sequel, I just want add-ons.
RDR1 was miles ahead of CP77

I mean if you get picky we can say that RDR1 is the sequel of Red Dead Revolver (well it is) but CDPR had 3 games before and 1 kind of open world (TW3). But still it fails to feel it's the same company that made W3, despite me not liking it persoanlly but I saw the good in it and I always recognized it.

I see people compare to Witcher 3, RD2, and GTAs.
What I want to remind people is that these are all sequels. If you want to compare we should compare to RD1, etc.
This isn't a sequel of RD2 this is a new game. Sure, you'd think a new game would build off others out there, but if they started development -- like actual coding years ago, it may have been before those games came out.
If you want RD2, play RD2, if you want RD2 Cyber edition - well I don't know we don't have it. Maybe the devs didn't just want to repackage what others did (although that always happens), or they were making the game still when that stuff came out.

I'm hopeful for more. I don't want a sequel, I just want add-ons.
Cyberpunk isn't new. It came out in 1988 and has had world building since then. They also happened to have the creator of the Cyberpunk IP working on this game with them.

They also had triple the budget of RDR2 and a similar amount of development time to make this game.

Guest 4406876

Yep. It's just that. A runaround shooter with basic missions.
Drive, shoot, and nothing else.

Not an RPG.
Yes but somehow the world feels more alive than in CP77. because it has systems that work. Los Santos is empty as well, but hides it well thru systems totally disregarded by CP77, like they never existed in the open world genre at all. (even if S andreas had more interaction) But Rockstar got the message and tried to be better with RDR2, and it freacking did.

Like ok, I'm doing a mission I get wanted by mistake, ok don't even let me start with it, suffice to say in CP77 you'll never see a police chase, unless scripted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now as someone who only based my expectations off things that were shown in the gameplay trailers as actual possible gameplay options/possibilities, the game is fine. I have around 50 hours. This post is NOT about the technical/performance issues. that deserves its own thread and there is plenty of them.
But Lets face it, this is not the RPG a lot of us hoped for. it appears that a lot has been removed and the world interactivity and AI just feels bland.
I have been somewhat a fanboy over the last few months and had very strong faith in CDPR, but I'm certainly not a blind follower... This game has let me and a lot of others down in the RPG side of things. They either got overwhelmed with their original plan and scrapped elements to make the date, or its due to them settling for a more cinematic experience halfway through and went with the "Action/Adventure" tag that it is now touted as.

Feel free to add anything else that I've missed or that other games (some over a decade old) have done or done better.
I don't believe these are ridiculous requests or expectations for and RPG
  • Character creation = Huge let down. don't deny it. and this isn't even me having huge expectations. Basic RPGs have had greater variety. No body sliders even JUST for things like making your character thinner, fatter or more jacked? I mean c'mon. Even GTA SA let you get jacked. it seems like they really focused on trivial things to build hype(looking at you genital customisation), rather than meaningful stuff that really lets you make your character an individual and like yourself.
  • Getting new Cyberware is Severely underwhelming. Changing out bodyparts and literally giving up parts of your humanity and body is like swapping out a mod on a gun. *click* and thats it, only cutscenes we got were for the Palm and eye upgrades which were part of the story. Cmon, not even a small cut scene that then fades to black?
  • No Barber? No Tattoo parlour? Give me a break. No change to your character after leaving the character creation is a joke. for a game that is all about creating your own merc and body modding being so prevalent in NC, it does not feel that way.
  • No colour modding of your clothing. Found a cool Trench coat? No worries! but you've gotta have it in Fluro pink!!!
  • No Finishers in combat??? we really immersive things like the ground cracking when you fall from height (really cool too) but cant add finishers to combat? only ones I've seen is 2 with a Katana and that is it. Skyrim, The Chronicles of Riddick (Old AF now) even The Witcher 3 had combat finishers with Weapons and hand to hand combat. especially with Melee and hand to hand combat being such a big thing, you'd think they'd have added this
  • Where are the mini-games? Wheres the BD's? its a story continuation tool and thats it. i mean what happened to going into a bar and doing some cool mini activities those kinds of places?
  • Where is the Adult content? there are barely any options for Joy toys (abysmal tb), no drugs? i dont need this stuff but the option is nice and adds to the atmosphere.
  • The absolute lack of romance options, it seems they went for quality over quantity perhaps but cmon, Dragon Age, Mass effect etc had more. truly disappointing
  • You cant interact with people aside from the Vendors, you cant even sit down at a chair and take in the world? NOTHING is interactive.
  • Key Bindings are a disgrace. I'm sure most of you already know this. how many times have you ruined stealth because of that dodge mechanic?
  • Dynamic world my a**. Mass numbers of NPC’s doesn’t make your world alive. Having them do unique things and responding to the world accordingly does. No ambulance for the injured, no fire trucks for fires, Police... don’t even get me started on the disgrace that is the Police AI.
    They specifically stated in the 48 minute deep dive there would be a silly amount (cant remember the number but was close to 1000) of Hand crafted daily routines for these NPC's. There is not.
  • No police chases? Police Spawning out of thin air? Maxtac spawn out of thin air with No AV's like the teaser? again dont get me started on the Police system, my god how embarrassing.
  • NPC’s in general just don’t react to you accordingly Depending on what you do. shoot in an Open area? no worries! everyone crouch!. It really does seem like CDPR really settled on having quantity of NPC’s over quality. I’d turn down the NPC crowd density in an instant if it meant greater variety and enabled better AI for more a more “alive” city.
  • Police rarely say thank you for intervening and SAVING their lives in gang shootings.
  • No karma/good & bad system, meaning a lot of choices mean Jack all especially when it comes to the way NPC's react to you i mean even Fallout characters reacted to you accordingly if you were a bad guy. Your characters “character” is borderline predetermined
  • The clothing system is broken. Cowboy hates, Short denim shorts and Corset's end up being your best armour, while an Arasaka bullet proof vest is useless. Really takes you out of the world.
    Yes I know you can upgrade clothing to keep the stuff you want to be the best, but some Transmog would be nice
  • Gear has no levels? I'm sorry but have i missed something? unless you are under the required level you cant see what level the gear actually is and its super annoying. it would be nice to be able to just take a glance at something and see if its a lower level and Bam scrapped.
  • Cant pick up thrown knives.... god man..
As I said, I have around 50 hours now and enjoy it. But if I were expecting it to be the RPG and "Truly special game" that CDPR claimed they had... boy am I disappointed. It seems they got caught up in their own hype and thought "omg the public is going insane over rumoured Genital customisation put that in put that in!" but forgot that you still need the basics. I'm sorry but this game doesn't really do anything new.

There are a lot more immersion breaking and disappointing mechanics I just cant be bothered to list but honestly the game truly does seem half baked and unfinished. It reeks of placeholders and things that have been cut last minute to make the game playable for release. Somewhere along the lines things changed from RPG to "Action/Adventure" and it was seriously streamlined. And don't be fooled, this has hurt it badly. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Mass effect remain untouched as immersive RPG's at this stage in MY OPINION.
Cheers
ABSOLUTELY FOKIN TRUE.
RPG = Role Playing Game
It basically means that I DECIDE what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. 1200+ hours on Skyrim and still playing it. Absolutely ridicoulous how they call TW3 and CP77 "RPGs". I mean, Skyrim in 2011 lets you be WHATEVER you wanted to be, COMPLETELY explorable and interactive map, INFINITE quests, best police system I've ever seen, guilds destruction/joining, complete pg personalization, exceptional romances (yes.. me and Serana are still friends but I'm still working on it), HOUSEBUILDING, companion system, INFINITE dungeons, Map bosses, Daedric artifacts & other secret op collectibles.. and EVERY ITEM HAD ITS 3D MODEL. Pls don't call yourself "leading RPG industry" because TW3 and CP77 ARE NOT RPGs, more like "casual rpgs".

Yep. It's just that. A runaround shooter with basic missions.
Drive, shoot, and nothing else.

Not an RPG.

Yeah and if you were going with calling CP2077 GTA in the sense that GTA isn't an RPG then I'm with you on that. I just don't think it's fair to put CP2077 in the same galaxy with GTA because though GTA isn't an RPG, it doesn't sell itself as an RPG and for what it is, it's great.

ABSOLUTELY FOKIN TRUE.
RPG = Role Playing Game
It basically means that I DECIDE what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. 1200+ hours on Skyrim and still playing it. Absolutely ridicoulous how they call TW3 and CP77 "RPGs". I mean, Skyrim in 2011 lets you be WHATEVER you wanted to be, COMPLETELY explorable and interactive map, INFINITE quests, best police system I've ever seen, guilds destruction/joining, complete pg personalization, exceptional romances (yes.. me and Serana are still friends but I'm still working on it), HOUSEBUILDING, companion system, INFINITE dungeons, Map bosses, Daedric artifacts & other secret op collectibles.. and EVERY ITEM HAD ITS 3D MODEL. Pls don't call yourself "leading RPG industry" because TW3 and CP77 ARE NOT RPGs, more like "casual rpgs".
Couldnt have said it better myself mate. Spot on.
Skyrim continues to be the gold standard when it comes to true individuality, that, even though you have a prophecy to fulfil, you can still go about your things and be whoever you want to be. it really does seem that Elder Scrolls 6 and Mass Effect 4 are my next big hopes for the RPG space.

Just now have to hope that Bethesda have kept EVERYTHING that made skyrim great and simply built upon it with more, rather than cut things "they feel" arent needed. just KEEP EVERYTHING you have and continue adding more. its a winning recipe!!!

Yeah and if you were going with calling CP2077 GTA in the sense that GTA isn't an RPG then I'm with you on that. I just don't think it's fair to put CP2077 in the same galaxy with GTA because though GTA isn't an RPG, it doesn't sell itself as an RPG and for what it is, it's great.

Oh I'm definitely not slighting GTA in the least. I love the GTA series.
Have purchased and played GTA all the way from the top-down first version on the PS, all the the way to the PC, with GTAs 3, 4 and 5.

I'm just saying that CP77 tried to sell itself as an RPG, but ended up as more of a GTA style game in the end.

Guest 4406876

I'm just saying that CP77 tried to sell itself as an RPG, but ended up as more of a GTA style game in the end.
It failed to be even that. It fails to be anything besides "Dragon's Lair", which is my fav laser game of the 80s, and Don Bluth is a God to me speaking of animation and drawing, oh yea...DL was hand made with pencil and paper...CP77 has CGI that animates itself...so yes. The art is there, but somewhere else.

Just here to totally agree with the OP's points.

Also, forget the RPG part, the game is an open world. Aka, you can freely navigate around the game world, by foot, in a car, or fast travel. Open world concepts are not new. There is a bar set by previous games with open world settings. Such as basic traffic AI, ffs.

The [...] here can't admit that while yes, this game has an awesome polished static world, they didn't do basic stuff you would see open world games from the early 2000s. Are we just OK with the fact that no-witness crimes are immediately seen by police? That police just magically TP to you? That they won't give any chase if you try to leave? That there is no dynamic driving AI? That by looking away and looking back, objects like cars and people are respawned differently? Etc. You are supposed to be immersed in the game, with the amazing set piece, but there so many things that break immersion, its like having a great dream and immediately being shaken awake.

CDPR promised a lot of this stuff, word for word. Promises that didn't even come close to being done.

I am about 20 hours in and I stopped, partly because I am wondering if they will address any of this down the road. As someone said it on twitter best, this is like watching a movie you want to see so badly on a shaky cam recording of someone in the theatre. Do you really want to watch and experience it that way? I know if I play and beat the game as is, I will probably never return, even if they do fix the bugs and address the glaringly outdated technology for their open world game. This is like a still painting, beautiful to look at, but that's about it.

Hoping for the best.

Really sucks how there's barely any player agency in the game, all dialog choices fell like they will have the same result, the best designed quest in the game was the one they showed in E3 that's 1 hour into the game, after that, it's all linear. Also V somehow feels like a more predetermined character than Geralt.

Just here to totally agree with the OP's points.

Also, forget the RPG part, the game is an open world. Aka, you can freely navigate around the game world, by foot, in a car, or fast travel. Open world concepts are not new. There is a bar set by previous games with open world settings. Such as basic traffic AI, ffs.

The [...] here can't admit that while yes, this game has an awesome polished static world, they didn't do basic stuff you would see open world games from the early 2000s. Are we just OK with the fact that no-witness crimes are immediately seen by police? That police just magically TP to you? That they won't give any chase if you try to leave? That there is no dynamic driving AI? That by looking away and looking back, objects like cars and people are respawned differently? Etc. You are supposed to be immersed in the game, with the amazing set piece, but there so many things that break immersion, its like having a great dream and immediately being shaken awake.

CDPR promised a lot of this stuff, word for word. Promises that didn't even come close to being done.

I am about 20 hours in and I stopped, partly because I am wondering if they will address any of this down the road. As someone said it on twitter best, this is like watching a movie you want to see so badly on a shaky cam recording of someone in the theatre. Do you really want to watch and experience it that way? I know if I play and beat the game as is, I will probably never return, even if they do fix the bugs and address the glaringly outdated technology for their open world game. This is like a still painting, beautiful to look at, but that's about it.

Hoping for the best.
On point mate. ive got just over 50 hours and havent actually played any at all tonight for the first night since release. im simply too perplexed after the "Honeymoon" phase has worn off and ive come to see things for what they are.
And to think i had almost 2 weeks paid vacation set aside for this... i dont even feel the need to full complete my first playthrough let alone another 2 for the other life paths.. i was clearly a little over ambitious myself.
Post automatically merged:

Really sucks how there's barely any player agency in the game, all dialog choices fell like they will have the same result, the best designed quest in the game was the one they showed in E3 that's 1 hour into the game, after that, it's all linear. Also V somehow feels like a more predetermined character than Geralt.
Let me guess... wait for it.. youre talking about the Maelstrom quest? the famously touted "7 different out comes" quest????

Skyrim continues to be the gold standard when it comes to true individuality, that, even though you have a prophecy to fulfil, you can still go about your things and be whoever you want to be.

I remember when RPG's were RPG's and your role wasn't dictated to you. I remember when you could choose between what kind of role you were playing, what kind of person your character was etc. Lately it seems like our choices are coming down to choosing between the dialog options of "Yeah totally" and "Hey man fuck off" only to find out it doesn't matter much what we say and what we say is often not what is said.

I remember when RPG's were RPG's and your role wasn't dictated to you. I remember when you could choose between what kind of role you were playing, what kind of person your character was etc. Lately it seems like our choices are coming down to choosing between the dialog options of "Yeah totally" and "Hey man fuck off".
The "Role Playing" side of RPG is certainly beginning to take a backseat lately. it is quite concerning too that an almost decade old game like Skyrim still carries to torch.

This is just false.

So far it has been nothing but shooting.

Stealth missions invariably turn into shootfests when your attempts at sneaking fail because of dodging.....
Other than that, delivery missions? So GTA.
Go there, steal that? GTA.
Go there, kill someone? GTA
Go there, steal something? GTA

Let me know what isn't GTA?

Top Bottom