Thronebreaker Crashing and Framerate Issues [PS4]

+
Same here, PS4 Pro.
I am quite far into the games story. At least 20 Crashes with the same error code other people mentioned. In between the crashes: cursor gone in camp menu.

Terrible frame drops during fights and even in the deckbuilding menu. This is game only about cards, most of the stuff is 2D and pre-rendered.

In comparison: AC Odyssey (100 hrs), Tetris Effect (40 hrs), RDR2 (40 hrs)... no crashes so far.
This reminds my of No Man's Sky on PS4 (20 crashes and freezes).

How can a Team who created The Witcher 3 f**k this up?

I am mainly sad, because the game is itself is great, but I tell all my friends to stay away from it because it is unfinished and broken.

We need a Patch, please.

Last edited:
Guys I understand you perfectly (I am in the same situation as you) but I know CDPR is working hard to fix these issues. I have received today like 3 or 4 emails from them to answer the tickets I have submitted. They have asked me for more information and I am sure they will fix this as soon as possible. To be honest, I do not know another video games company that take care of their customers as CDPR do.

I know the product is not finished for consoles and I suppose they did now want to fail with release date because another delay would be devastating for us. It is not excuse but I think we have to be patient.

I find Thronebreaker and Gwent HC excellent games and I hope they will fix it and they will release a patch soon.

I hope that CDPR is reading these because I don't think I'm alone in saying that I would prefer to have pushed back released dates rather than releases of broken games.

I am behind a swampy area now. It gets even worse there: I have to do every fight twice. After winning the first time, it crashes.

Not very rewarding :)

I did not know about the game until it showed up in the PS-Store. They should have QAd the game much more.
We all would love to play the intended vision. :)

Last edited:
Ejem... I previously said that there is no excuse.

Everyone who buy something want the product to be perfect. But sincerely in my case this is not the first video game I buy that have release issues/bugs or whatever. But I can assure you it is the first time I receive answer from my complaints in a few hours/days. Because of that, in my case, I will have more pacience that I would have with another company.

I just wanted to point my personal opinion, trying to give feedback to player like me that maybe have not submitted tickets. I know CDPR is working on that and I hope they will fix it soon enough. It is absolutely true that we need a patch on consoles urgently.

I am also experiencing crashes after battles, frame drops, and lots of stuttering/freezing (sometimes lasting 5 seconds). I know the DEVS probably know about these issues, but I figured I would add myself to the list of frustrated but eager fans who want to get down on this delicious game.

Do these same problems occur on the game for PC? I feel like consoles got the short end of the stick on this one, and we had to wait two extra months to play it, too.

Do these same problems occur on the game for PC? I feel like consoles got the short end of the stick on this one, and we had to wait two extra months to play it, too.
Ironically the game started acting up for me on pc after the release on console. I suspect it has something to do with the difficulty level patch, but only my own speculation. Mine doesn't crash as often as consoles are saying, but it stutters so bad it might as well crash. I am sure they are working on it. I had very few bug issues before the Dec. 4 patch.

Any news ??? Fix this omg !

I never seen a broken game like that ! We completely stuck cause your broken game crash ! And we have no communication from the dev ! Its just insane and pathetic ! We buy a game ...And its impossible to play ! 7 days now and no fix no com ! I want to be refund thief ! I read a mail to Sony for refund ! And its the last time i buying a single game of you !

ps4 HC is still very unoptimized... the console release in general was unoptimized. cdpr should make it their first priority fixing all these issues

Ironically the game started acting up for me on pc after the release on console. I suspect it has something to do with the difficulty level patch, but only my own speculation. Mine doesn't crash as often as consoles are saying, but it stutters so bad it might as well crash. I am sure they are working on it. I had very few bug issues before the Dec. 4 patch.

If that's the case, I wonder if they shouldn't just undo the patch in the interim while they fix it? If only so that everyone can play without crashes.

I put 40+ recorded hours into Thronebreaker. Now I say recorded hours based on the screen that displays your game time either from the Gray rider and the "end of act" screen, and not including the hours from the dozens of battles that I had to redo due to the game crashing in the middle of a battle, or worse just after I win a battle but before the game can save... If I did count those hours I'd easily say 60+ hours, probably more.

I purchased the game on Ps4 when the game initially released. My expectations weren't all that high because I figured "how could they turn more of the same ol' gwent into an amazing and clever story with innovative gameplay and features?"

And I wish I could say that I was blown away. I really wish I could because how could one not love the story, the characters, the puzzles, the role playing aspects and the impactful choices that you make? Even the regular battles are entertaining, although do get stale and repetitive after a while (which is perhaps my only real gripe in terms of gameplay).

But I can't say that I'm blown away by this game. Because this game at launch is an absolute embarrassment. All these issues are well known by now but after playing so much I feel like I need to say my piece. The amount of bugs and crashes that plague this game is absurd. I don't believe I've ever experienced in any console game, ever, the amount of crashes that I have experienced with Thronebreaker.

I've experienced an insane amount of crashing. Crashing while roaming around the map, crashing during mid battle, and crashing after I win the battle. But of course the game crashes after I win the battle but before it can save, forcing me to have to play through that battle again...
And during battles, the game is incredibly laggy. AI takes up to 30 seconds to pick and play a card. I wouldn't be too upset over the laggy battles and slow AI, as it extends the battle time by a few minutes and the visuals become choppy but it doesn't take away from the experience too much. But the fact that the game crashes after winning the battle, and doesn't save, and you're forced to redo the entire battle, and now the game lags, and the AI takes forever to make a move... It essentially turns a 10 minute battle that's but a mere minor inconvenience for queen Meve, into a 30 minute major headache for you, the player, who had already just won one battle and are now forced to win it again 1 or 2 times so you can continue with the story. Sometimes crashing would lock up my Ps4, forcing me to restart my console, start up the game, load my save file, do the battle over again, win, and cross my fingers and pray that the game didn't crash again.

But I was in love with the game. And I had to drag on and struggle through the campaign to unravel more of the amazing story. And I struggled and played and restarted the game and rebooted my ps4 and rinsed and repeated until I finally got to where I am now. Map 5. Now every one to two battles, the game crashes. Sometimes I'm lucky and can weasle my way through a battle crash free. Most of the times I can't. And I've given up on this ridiculous cycle. I'm deadlocked, and now I can no longer play until the game is properly patched.

They released this game on a Playstation. It's not a pc where everyone's hardware and software is a little bit different and where it's difficult to optimize a game for everyone. Of course bugs, crashes and glitches and the like are to be expected and eventually ironed out.

But on a Playstation? They are almost cookie cutter, carbon copies of each other (minus a few differences between pro's, regulars, special editions, etc.) running on the same software. Any developer who actually tested the launch version of the game on the ps4 prior to release and actually played it for more than 10 minutes would've had to run into any of these issues.

For them to have known these issues existed before launch, and to release the game anyway, is an absolute disgrace. And if they didn't test the launch version on the console before releasing it, then it's an absolute embarrassment. Either way they should be ashamed to have released the game in this state.

The game in and of itself is amazing. However the constant crashing, getting forced to do long and laggy battle over and over again and getting deadlocked into not being able to complete the game after getting so far has made the experience of an otherwise great game, infuriating and disappointing.

Well my campaign crashed and my save file was corrupted so that's cool. Fortunately, I wasn't too far in. I do not advise attempting to play it right now on ps4 until technical issues are fixed. It would also be great to hear from CDPR on this. They said they were disappointed with sales due to GOG's limited reach. Frankly, they need to make a good impression on other platforms, and they really dropped that ball. Shame. The game itself if fantastic, I wish it great success.

Downloaded patch 1.02. Game still crashes as various points. So far today:
1. Games fails to load when continuing a game (multiple times)
2. Crashes after a battle without saving
3. After a battle, can move around but no buttons work.
4. During puzzle battle, can't progress to pass stage. Chose forfeit, restart puzzle, doesn't load.

So I swore to myself a while ago I wouldn't buy a game inside the first few months of release due to bugs, but this is bordering on unplayable. :(

Last edited:
Just downloaded and tested it yesterday.
Still framerate issues, but no crash. Ok, I didn't play that long (maybe an half an hour) but no crash. I'm looking forward for this weekend.

The deckbuilder is still very bugged on PS4, the cursor often skips several fields and jumps to the other side of the screen

EDIT: I only mean the Thronebreaker deckbuilder. The GWENT deckbuilder works like a charm now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom