Top 20 Gwent cards that are so bad their literally unplayable (and some honorable mentions)

+
20. Walter veritas: random create card for 9 provisions.
19. Gascon: the RNG will usually give you a very small amount of points for his provisions.
18. Wolf pack: 4 points for 4 provisions and does not synergize with anything.
17. Peasant militia: 4 points for 4 provisions is simply just too weak to be used in any serious deck.
16. Mastercrafted spear: artifact and 4 pounts for 7 provisions.
15. Iris` companions: just the fact that it can discard the card you are drawing kills it.
14. summoning circle: RNG create that is not eaven worth it for assimilate.
13. Ciri: yes it can give you card advantage, but it can be controled and it can also brick into a pathetic 4 points for 8 provisions.
12. Scout: will brick almost always, weather is not played at all.
11. Red haze can brick into a 0 points for 5 provisions. far too situational.
10. Thaw same as scout, will brick into a 4 for 5
9. Wyvern scale shield a 4 point for 7 provisions artifact.
8. Elf and onion soup can brick and its a rng create card that can eaven give you less than 0 points.
7. Crows eye can brick into 0 points, and not eaven worth it if you score the highest amount of points it can give you. and why is this eaven a netral card?
6. Eskel, Vesemir and Lambert can brick and wont give you more than SIX points for a collective of TWENTYFOUR PROVISIONS!!!
5. Vivienne: Oriole will usually brick into 1 point for 9 provisions. its hillarious how eaven if it was only 4 provisions it would still be unplayable
4. Spring equinox will give you 0 points. always.

Before we get into the top 3 worst cards,here are some honorable mentions:

sihil, Aguara: true form, commanders horn, vainglory, dudu, walter veritas, mandrake, frenzied dào, gascon, decoy, johnny, sarah, eibhear hattori, vrihedd sappers, drummond warmonger, bomb heaver, wild hunt warrior, caretaker, umas curse,
aguara true form, xavier moran, trial of the grasses, iris von everec, xavier lemmens, Ciri: nova, cealach diffryn, draig bon-dhu
jotunn, rico meiersdorf, all the runestones, swallow , dimiritium shackles, farseer
samum, inspirational ballad, combat engineer, siren
and lastly, beggar.

Our top 3 winners!

3. Dimiritium bomb: guaranteed 0 point brick now that deploy artifacts are a thing
2. Clear skies goes without saying why this card is number 2
1. White frost WHY DOES THIS EXIST ARE YOU KIDDING ME CDPR?????

This concludes my top 20 list of the worst Gwent cards. Wich one is your favorite? please let us know in the comments! :)

Have a wonderfull day!
Sincerely, Flamingo
Post automatically merged:

19. Gascon: the RNG will usually give you a very small amount of points for his provisions.
17. Peasant militia: 4 points for 4 provisions is simply just too weak to be used in any serious deck.
15. Iris` companions: just the fact that it can discard the card you are drawing kills it.
13. Ciri: yes it can give you card advantage, but it can be controled and it can also brick into a pathetic 4 points for 8 provisions.
8. Elf and onion soup can brick and its a rng create card that can eaven give you less than 0 points.
7. Crows eye can brick into 0 points, and not eaven worth it if you score the highest amount of points it can give you. and why is this eaven a netral card?
6. Eskel, Vesemir and Lambert can brick and wont give you more than SIX points for a collective of TWENTYFOUR PROVISIONS!!!
5. Vivienne: Oriole will usually brick into 1 point for 9 provisions. its hillarious how eaven if it was only 4 provisions it would still be unplayable

Before we get into the top 3 worst cards,here are some honorable mentions:

sihil, Aguara: true form, commanders horn, vainglory, dudu, walter veritas, mandrake, frenzied dào, gascon, decoy, johnny, sarah, eibhear hattori, vrihedd sappers, drummond warmonger, bomb heaver, wild hunt warrior, caretaker, umas curse,
aguara true form, xavier moran, trial of the grasses, iris von everec, xavier lemmens, Ciri: nova, cealach diffryn, draig bon-dhu
jotunn, rico meiersdorf, all the runestones, swallow , dimiritium shackles, farseer
samum, inspirational ballad, combat engineer, siren
and lastly, beggar.

Our top 3 winners!

3. Dimiritium bomb: guaranteed 0 point brick now that deploy artifacts are a thing
2. Clear skies goes without saying why this card is number 2
1. White frost WHY DOES THIS EXIST ARE YOU KIDDING ME CDPR?????

This concludes my top 20 list of the worst Gwent cards. Wich one is your favorite? please let us know in the comments! :)

Have a wonderfull day!
Sincerely, Flamingo
The hardest thing making this list was deciding which card was more unplyable than the other.

Amazing list.
And there are even more.
Shows the game's state perfectly, which is terrible.
I am ready for homecoming 2.0 with 3 rows, 3 bronzes, maybe silvers, and ARCHETYPES instead of just good cards that sometimes synergies with each other and numerous totally unplayable crap cards.

Some of those cards are intentionally bad, they're made for fun. Others are tech options, if nobody plays weather you can't complain that weather counter is not included in any deck right now.
Artifacts, like Spear, have gone through several nerfs until they reached that point, they are very powerful.

20. Walter Veritas is not uplayable though ...
19. Gascon is horrible and contributes nothing to the game, we can agree on that
18. Indeed
17. Same
12. Yes
10. Same
8. True
7. Propapably the worst card in the game
6. They do have an use ... I have a deck that does not even dream of coming close to winning and only exists to get the
"Play 30/60 neutral cards" daily in 2/3-4 games. (But yes in serious decks propably among the worst cards in the game)
5. True
4. I had a point when Beast SK was not yet ritually gutted.
1. White Frost had an use though (unlike most of the cards in the list it was funny against Eldain for a while and funny discard fodder [as a tech against Traps/any artifact])

Some of those cards are intentionally bad, they're made for fun. Others are tech options, if nobody plays weather you can't complain that weather counter is not included in any deck right now.
Artifacts, like Spear, have gone through several nerfs until they reached that point, they are very powerful.
Ah i see you are one of the "its fine, its a meeeme card" people. "meme cards" is just a bad excuse for horribly designed cards and RNG.

Walter Veritas is at place 20 and a honourable mention as well.

Agree a lot of your top 20 is too bad an probably needs a rework. The honourable mentions though are cards that probably need only a small buff or a changed meta/expanded archetypes.

As soon as I saw the title I figured it was you lol.

Don't hate what you don't understand.

What's not to understand? It's cards that aren't good enough to be competitive and sometimes contain awful RNG because "fun". I would prefer that every card in the game have some logical fit into good decks. Making cards that are purposefully bad is a waste of time imo. RNG Gascon for example is a waste of resources and the excuse is that it's a meme card. Well congratulations for having a card that either A) no one plays or B) contributes bad RNG to the game.

Hattori is much worse than some of those in your top 20. A lot of artifact centric cards need a rework.

Last edited:
some other old threads:

Dimiritium bomb had just in this seasonsal a great use in a deck that used only a few units and abused the situation that you cant play this card when there is no artifact on field thus forcing you to hold it in your hand. Sure in normal games It has no place right now but this season made it shine at least :D
Ciri is great for a deck that is vulnerable for not getting last card played, (eg because the game is full of tall removals)
I see elf and onion soup in a monsterdeck with ruehin. Red haze is a poor mans treason.
I see uses for Spring equinox, I have seen the 4 point 7provision artefacts used in action successfully, the random summoning units generate card advantage on field of which you could make use of ect...

I could continue this way, I see a use for many cards you mention on the list. What unites them is they are overspecialized and provide solutions to a few decks with specific issues. Most of them are tech cards or revolve around some fancy strategy. And the decks they could be played with are barely played in current meta. Not all of them are bad though some of them make no sense. Others feel unfinished and could simply require future releases to work to get more cards supporting them.

[...]

The hardest thing making this list was deciding which card was more unplyable than the other.
While I agree with most of them, I think some of the cards you mentioned just lack of a proper house, rather than being actually terrible.

For example, Wolf pack synergies with something, it's meant to be discarded with Bran for the beast discard deck. Sure, this deck is pretty weak atm but it's what the card is designed for and I actually like it. Rather thas buffing Wolf pack (which reads "discard it or get a trash card"...fair enough when your strategy revolves around dumping your entire deck into your graveyard) they should give a bit of love to Bran (I mean, Bran effect, I forgot how it's called now, despite having made one this season).

The same stands for the Witcher trio (Lambert, Eskel, Vesemir) this card is useless because NG Witcher is weak. Buff this archetype and you'll easily change your mind. With one buff from...Well...Vesemir, those guys becomes 3 str (just like before the patch, which is naughty).

Having said that, I have to say I really agree with the rest, your top 3 shows how CDPR can screw things up when it stands to design cards in Gwent (don't get me wrong, they're doing a good job overall but some cards are awfully designed).

One problem I've always brought up, since Gwent BETA is the notion of hard tech cards in Gwent (like Vivienne Oriole, Clear skies, D-bomb ect). This concept was primarily created by MTG and it makes complete sense in this game because it has a side board (for those who're not accointed with the game, it's basically a pool of 15 cards that you can use to replace what you have in your deck between games, allowing you to counter difficult match ups). CDPR decided not to include a side board in their game (which I think was a mistake but fair enough) but still designed some cards to be put in one.

Like, as you rightfully said, Clear skies is just a 0 point play if there is no weather on the other side...It's unplayable.
In fact, guess what, even if weather became a tier 1 deck, it would still be unplayable because you just can't afford a 0 point play against anything else. I really think that CDPR got the whole weather theme completely wrong since pretty much closed BETA (but we're at the wrost state of the archetype atm, let's be honest here).

It's a shame because weather is one of those things that makes Gwent unique, they HAVE to bring it back to a playable state (like I said before, they should design weather to reduce the power of units on a row by a certain amount, kinda like what they did at the very beginning but not all the way to 1).

One last thing, I wanted to point out the fact that, some cards you mentioned are so unplayable that even if they get full value, they're still terrible.
Like, Spring equinox...How much value are you gonna realistically get for purifying all the units on a row considering bleeding generate value every turn, for instance. What were they thinking honestly (The same stands for White frost which is more expensive btw).

Soup isn't bad, it works well with the Trio in a Discard Create deck. Soup usually is slightly better giving units then Bribery is. Though in any other decks where units are not easily replaceable I would not add soup.

Top Bottom