Trio, actually pretty bad.

+
Trio, actually pretty bad.

I'm very curious to hear other people's opinion on this, and while I use Trio in one of my decks, it's a pretty bad ability. I mean I like it as a general idea, but this game is very hostile (in most cases) to stacking on a single row, especially for a buffing card like the Reaver Hunters, it's just a giant target on their head for Igni or similar cards. Don't get me wrong, Reaver Hunter is a very good card in my opinion, but usually the risk of putting them on the same row does not outweigh the reward of getting to do (at most, if I'm playing against a dwarf buff deck) 11 damage.

Asuming you use them as a finisher.Either use Operator,throw the first 2 in different rows and then Henselt.Or just throw one RH as your last card and then Henselt.Still might get locked but usually people dont keep igni as their r3 finisher.They prefer using him on Temerians/Witchers for safer value.

It crazy and ridiculous that NR has two silver cards that are built around Trio abilities, but actually activating a Trio ability is such a huge liability. They either need to seriously flesh out the Trio system, or change Ves and Trololo to something that actually synergizes with NR in a meaningful way.

I've had success using dandelion to buff one of the infantrymen, one of the knights, and one of the reavers. This helps with Igni at least.

Blue stripe commandos you can use that gold card to get (the guy that spawn them), reaver hunter just use the leader, if you use troll, one card plus a reaver scout and troll gets it.. you can shuffle them back with nanaeke and try again etc.. it's not hard to do, just as people said, not worth it. But r hunter finisher is still decent though. Something like a 30 point swing?

And by risk you mean Geralt Igni.
Seriously this one card pretty much dictates how the game is played, this is the reason most cards were made agile and this is the reason trio doesn't work.

Igni, scorch, villen, there are many cards that punish unplanned greedy play. Trio on the same row is a problem.

Yea trio is pretty bad, and I don't believe that anyone here figured out what actual use of BSC trio.

vikaroot;n9102290 said:
Yea trio is pretty bad, and I don't believe that anyone here figured out what actual use of BSC trio.

There are so many cards that NR has that I don't think CDPR even knows what their use should be. Its been clear since the start of OB they're building Northern Realms on-the-fly.

KingPegasus;n9101010 said:
Igni, scorch, villen, there are many cards that punish unplanned greedy play. Trio on the same row is a problem.

It's not "greedy play" it's just that certain styles of decks are made completely non-viable by those cards.

Northern realms in desperate need of a fix or buff probably the worst faction to play with but most enjoyable in my eyes untill you get igni, demoted, scorch, reset, attacked, locked......

Guest 4157120

r4mb044;n9151370 said:
Northern realms in desperate need of a fix or buff probably the worst faction to play with but most enjoyable in my eyes untill you get igni, demoted, scorch, reset, attacked, locked......

If there will not be Gigni, Scorch etc. this game will be really boring and everyone will be playing around biggest board value etc. It's good that in game is Gigni etc. because you have to be careful etc.

Trio should activate when all 3 are on the board, regardless of which row. it's risky enough, since if one of them is killed or locked it's over, and it lets your opponent know your plans a bit so that he can save that igni / scorch whatever.

It's sad that Trio is touted as an NR mechanic, but the most useful Trio ability belongs to Wild Hunt Riders.

The only worthwhile trio to complete is only Reaver hunters in NR.
Well sure they are very vulnerable to scorch / Geralt Igni but you would only play RH trio only as a finisher ( for me ). Since if you play it in round 1 to get a quick win the enemy would surely has some kind of answer to it. So when I want to play RH trio i would bait the scorch / Igni with Infantryman since technically if the enemy scorch it they would only scorch 1 card. While the risk is high the reward that you get is high aswell

But now let's see Blue Stripes Commando. Their trio reward is trash tier. Like seriously add 3 strength card to your deck? Well it sounds good if you can bring it out with another card. But the thing is you can't since if you play Blue stripes commando you would play Kaedwani Sergeant and after buffing your cards there's no card in your deck that can activate the 3 strength BSC. I would like the trio ability for BSC to be changed since the reward seems more like a punishment for playing 3 of it in the same row. If they want to make that card worthwhile to be activated as a trio i would like the reward to has the same strength as the last played BSC so it can be activated and the reward would not be a dead card.

Top Bottom