Usurper is broken with 2 mulligans

+
Usurper counter is another Usurper.

Pitfall trap completely counters Letho and Viper witchers cards.

So the counter is to play the same deck (can't imagine anything more boring) or to play ST because there you can include one Pitfall Trap that you will play just before your opponent plays Letho and VW? Thanks for proving my point.

Countering a strategy means anticipating your opponent's deck and strategy, building a counter deck and playing it properly. If you expect your opponent to use big boosts, then you counter with a deck that has resets and big removal. Usurper, Letho and VW just mess up the basics and essential mechanics (leader ability, mulligans, key cards) of any deck. That is not strategy and certainly no counter. That is broken.

I don't have much of a problem with usurper because although boring he doesn't really put that many points on board. It is not super fun to play a game witouth your leader but it does change your game plan immediately and imo that's good for the game. I know he hardcounters leaders like a rachas and fila but those decks can often make big point swings even witouth their leaders.

As for cards like viper Witcher, they really need to be reworked. They can either banish fillers and thin your deck or deny win conditions, completely at random. It's the worst kind of rng as it ensures one player will always get shafted by the outcome of it, with no way to play around it.

Letho is also stupid and a weak card overall.

Last edited:
I know he hardcounters leaders like a rachas and fila but those decks can often make big point swings even witouth their leaders.
The problem is, these decks wouldnt be played because of the mere existence of ursurper. So he wont get played, because he boring as hell but stops other decks to be played as well.
People tend to have more fun in combining than just destroying,
As someone pointet out earlier, Ursuprer now is ok becaue NG lacks of good standalone cards beside the other "archetypes".
And i bet my hole card collection future updates will bring these cards and he will be OP as hell.

Every card game depends on luck and skill/ strategy in this case.

That's what I said. Where is the skill in playing cards like Gascon and viper witchers?

Lets just flip a coin to see who wins the game instead since you like RNG so much.

It should and I am glad we can .Person can use this tactic to try and cripple opponent strategy. They said they want to make Gwent like real battlefield and they did it with those type of cards like Usurper, Letho,Viper witchers and others.

VW's are overpowered nonsense. Absolutely horrible for the game. Watch the devs change them just like so many other terrible cards that they have put into the game in the past. There is nothing smart or skillful about playing a card which randomly takes cards from your opponents deck.

Real battles are won not just by strictly using your own strategy but also by countering opponents strategy.So Gwent should offer us those types of strategies to make it more versatile game.

You aren't countering anything with those cards. You just throw it down whenever and cross your figners hopeing it hits. That's laughable.
Post automatically merged:

One artifact counters 3 cards? Nope.

BTW no decent player is going to play their more powerful cards while a potential pitfall trap is on the board. They will just trigger it with something else.

It should and I am glad we can .Person can use this tactic to try and cripple opponent strategy. They said they want to make Gwent like real battlefield and they did it with those type of cards like Usurper, Letho,Viper witchers and others.

Real battles are won not just by strictly using your own strategy but also by countering opponents strategy.So Gwent should offer us those types of startegies to make it more versatile game.

While I can respect this opinion and understand it I still don't agree with it. I'd agree completely part of the game should be about countering the opponent strategy. The entire concept of two decks going at it where each tries to pull off their strategy while stopping the other is at the core of Gwent IMO. So in this sense I agree with you completely.

The problem I have with Usurper is the player using him isn't taking any actions to upset the opponent strategy. All they are doing is running a certain leader. If you want to build a deck based upon upsetting the opponent strategy, or a control build, I see no problem. As long as it requires you to take actions, and the correct actions, to succeed. Usurper requires no such action. In other words, upsetting a deck strategy should be based on making proper plays. It should not be based on running a certain leader.

This argument is at the core of the problem I take with cards like VW as well. Playing a card and making an arbitrary opponent card disappear from the game is almost completely reliant on luck. It has almost no basis in making the proper play to upset the opponent deck. If you want to upset an opponent deck you should have to earn it. It should not happen because you high roll on a random effect.

Usurper is fine by me. He's annoying but not game breaker. I'm surprised nobody has yet complained about the dead cow guy, tjat card is really really good.

Usurper counter is another Usurper.

But you can put only one pitfall trap in your deck, so you can counter only one card.
Post automatically merged:

Usurper is fine by me. He's annoying but not game breaker. I'm surprised nobody has yet complained about the dead cow guy, tjat card is really really good.
It is very easy to counter it by playing low-point card left to it, or by locking it. I have never seen that this card giving more than 6-7 point value.

I have never seen that this card giving more than 6-7 point value

That Rot Tosser best use after your opponent has passed (best in round 1 or 2). The plant is try to stay behind your opponent biggest unit + 1 point (like his biggest unit is 20 points, you can stay behind 21 points max), that when he think he safe and passed, BOOM rot tosser to the left of that 20 point then you pass and watch him lose that round by 1 point :D, simple as that.

Got tired replying to everyone so I will just say this.

Yes you can counter all 3 cards ( 2 Viper witchers and Letho.)

Pitfall trap to counter one.
Caretaker that ressurect artifacts for another Pitfall trap
Renew Caretaker who will allow you to use pitfall again to counter third card.

So in theory all 3 cards can be countered .As with everything it all depends on luck.

So in theory all 3 cards can be countered .As with everything it all depends on luck.

Pitfall Trap + Caretaker + Renew: 33 provisions, +6 positive points, -12 points to the opponent

2x VW + Letho: 23 provisions, 12 power

In order to replay Pitfall it would need to be removed from the board first, as traps do not go to the GY after they flip. Likewise, Caretaker has to go to the GY before being eligible for Renew. Short of removing your own traps after they flip and killing your own Caretaker this "counter" would only work if it were spread across the 3 rounds. This counter also assumes the following...

1. You correctly predict when VW or Letho will be played and place Pitfall beforehand.
2. Your opponent makes no attempt to adjust around a trap being placed on the board.
3. You're playing ST.

Allow me to make an attempt at saying the following in a polite manner. You may want to reconsider what qualifies as a counter.

So you have to tech all of those cards and hope you have them and the opponent doesn't play around them. Extremely unlikely.

They should make it so that Usurper's ability reduces the opponent's leader ability/charges by 50-66%~ and disable single use abilities (Francesca etc.).

Example: instead of completely removing Brouver's ability, he'd have 1 charge instead of 3. Woodland would boost a unit by 4 instead of 8 and so on.

Lol, here we go again, typical Nilfgaard talk. :p Maybe think one step further? If we are to counter each other's strategy, what then is the counter for Usurper, Letho and VW? Exactly, there is none. That's why imo, they are game breaking in an unacceptable way.

Honestly, I found Usurper+Letho+VW to be an inconsistent janky mess.

Now I just Usurper+Letho in a hybrid lock+reveal burn NG deck. It's way better than Usurper anti fun deck.

Guest 4322057

Uh. How can you possibly look at most of the leaders and not see that they are directly connected to the success of most decks? Eredin is a simple example of how a leader is clearly designed to be connected with a win condition.
Eredin is only one. And Woodland Spirit isn’t a win condition. It’s a generic +8

Eredin is only one. And Woodland Spirit isn’t a win condition. It’s a generic +8

Eredin is not the only leader players build their decks around. Woodland spirit is another one as it's not just a +8. Players use it to protect and enable cards like Sabbath. Then there are leaders like Foltest that you connect to multiple cards in your deck to make them much more powerful. It makes zero sense to me that the devs made leaders like that and then created another leader that disables them.

Top Bottom