Vehicle speed indicator in the game: broken! Or perhaps CDPR did this intentionally? Anyhow, bug or feature, but it's WRONG!

+
You should not "believe" distance is correct - instead, you should test / verify it is, indeed, correct. OR, you could simply read 1st post in entirety - it includes results of one such most simple test. Which confirms: distance displayed to a waypoint - is, indeed, correct.

Also, 189 is not kph number. Again, 1st post proves, without a doubt, that this number is way too high to be kph. Because the car actually moves at 138 kph - while having this "189" number displayed. Again, read the 1st post before replying, please?

As for why it matters - it's similarly simple: because it massively affects all the driving and chases the game offers to play. Gameplay becomes more boring / less challenging.

On top of this, those of us who actually know few bits about driving fast - are limited by this in terms of how fast we can go from A to B in-game, so this shit also literally steals bits of our time, here and there - which piles up to dozens minutes, if not hours (personally, i don't use fast travel at all, it breaks immersion) - per player. Now multiply this by say even modest ~10000 players who do similar play style, and you have dozens thousands hours of playtime WASTED by this "little feature".

Last but not least, some folks - myself included, - just don't enjoy being tricked in such ways. Rather, we find it disappointing and irritating, by and in itself.

Like i said in 1st post - it's shit. Which needs to be fixed. By mods, if need be.
Let us then just say I'm not invested enough in that particular detail to care. Nor look at the entire matter as 'wasted hour of play'

Also you misunderstood me when I said the number 189 seemed like kph, I meant that as in: opposed to the number being mph.
Wether or not the value was comforming reality is a different topic (as you started)
Post automatically merged:

In addition, just an idea... Maybe they incoporated some kind of time conversion relative to the ingame passing of time. (I'm Currently not in a position to test or subject any of this outside of just the idea.)
Maybe some food for thought.

Last edited:
In addition, just an idea... Maybe they incoporated some kind of time conversion relative to the ingame passing of time. (I'm Currently not in a position to test or subject any of this outside of just the idea.)
Maybe some food for thought.
Nope. If they would do that, then it'd be nothing else than "always active slo-mo for slowing everything by 2+ times". If this would be the thing, then everything would happen 2+ times slower: jumps, running, reloading weapons, facial animations, pedestrians walking - everything!

Believe me, everyone would notice if all things would be happening 2+ times slower than they normally do. It's more or less possible to somewhat "hide" slower car speeds by using tight streets and certain patterns of near-road details - note how often there are those "barriers" next to city streets? Those help to artificially create an impression that you're driving faster than you actually do. But if _everything_ would be happening 2+ times slower - no way to hide it any well. Everyone would notice at once, including yourself. :)

All games with fast cars, especially things like GTA clones employ tricks to make the cars seem faster; sounds, zooming and blurring, it's a known an very effective tactic. I can't find the developer talk that shows its very clearly side by side with and without the 'tricks'.

Sadly, it's probably way too late for CDPR to fix this. One bad design choice made too early and affecting too much for them to change it now. A mistake which will haunt the game for years to come, subtly but continously affecting lots of players, especially as they get better and better driving 'em vehicles.
I'm not so sure about it. What they decide to do is entirely different matter though.

Something I think they had difficulty with, that can be seen in races is AI "bubble" around player. Opponent AI isn't exactly rubber band AI in classical sense, but instead keeps jumping AI cars to position near player car after AI cars are left behind so much that they are falling out from "bubble" centered on player. This is for performance, updating whole world would be very taxing and not even open world racers like Horizon 4 do that.

What is limiting speed relation to this. They may still have problems making racing AI work and limiting player car speed, might solve AI cars not constantly clipping outside of bubble.

I do see other reasons you mentioned very possible explanation too though, player skill related matters possible too. We have some cars in game with performance equaling cars like Bugatti Veyron and cars like that aren't really made for city traffic, even though they are street legal and it's technically possible to do so.

Now that i think of it, in some games times is running faster either.. so a day is over in two hours, oh my god... that would mean... that would......that wou... *shrugs*

Now that i think of it, in some games times is running faster either.. so a day is over in two hours, oh my god... that would mean... that would......that wou... *shrugs*
Ha ha. It'd be funny, if it'd be not wrong. But it is: it ain't time which runs faster / slower, it's the clock. Big, big difference, Einstein. ;)

Nope. If they would do that, then it'd be nothing else than "always active slo-mo for slowing everything by 2+ times". If this would be the thing, then everything would happen 2+ times slower: jumps, running, reloading weapons, facial animations, pedestrians walking - everything!

Believe me, everyone would notice if all things would be happening 2+ times slower than they normally do. It's more or less possible to somewhat "hide" slower car speeds by using tight streets and certain patterns of near-road details - note how often there are those "barriers" next to city streets? Those help to artificially create an impression that you're driving faster than you actually do. But if _everything_ would be happening 2+ times slower - no way to hide it any well. Everyone would notice at once, including yourself. :)
I know, its just a wild idea. Call it searching for reasoning, lol ;)
To arch over to my personal end conclusion: it doesnt prevent me from still smacking into walls when a turn comes up haha.
Or being faster than anything else driving around

Eh, I'm not really surprised. Most of the cars didn't look like they where going fast. Here's a question. If the speeds are faked. Is the city size faked too. Also, why do they have MPH on the speedometer. But forget to make everything else imperial. They need to have a full Metric and Imperial mode.

I know, its just a wild idea. Call it searching for reasoning, lol ;)
To arch over to my personal end conclusion: it doesnt prevent me from still smacking into walls when a turn comes up haha.
Or being faster than anything else driving around
One can walk faster than a snail. Does this make one happy? Well, i guess it can. But me? And quite many other speed freaks?

No sir.

We have the need. For Speed. ;)

Guest 4531988

Hardware can handle it, even for decades - see the video in 3rd post of this topic. It's not that "they" - developers of titles - are anyhow limited by hardware in any way which makes it impossible to have fair / realistic speed. It's a _choice_ they make (unless, of course, it's not intended - i.e. a bug which is to be fixed, which i doubt it is).

If i'd be asked to speculate why this choice was made - then i'd say it's most likely CDPR decided that "average Joe" is too weak a player to handle real speed those cars are supposed to be able to do, given in-game street / road geometry and city traffic. "Gives some more FPS with everything else equal" is only secondary reason, i think.

And if so - i couldn't disagree more with such a reasoning. You don't make truly brilliant game by artificially warping game world to remove reasonably challenging bits - this ultimately leads to boredom. Instead, you make one truly brilliant game by adding ways to avoid being challenged for as long as player wishes to not be challenged, while in the same time always offering to take the challenge whenever the player wishes to try.

And in this particular matter, "realistically fast cars would be way too hard to drive around for most players" - is indeed one such challenge: instead of removing it, simply adding merely one extra control to the driving part of the game would completely solve it, without removing the possibility to "take the challenge" whenever one wishes to try.

I made corresponding suggestion which folks quite like, of course - here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ng-combined-with-wasd.11079272/#post-12862718 .

Sadly, it's probably way too late for CDPR to fix this. One bad design choice made too early and affecting too much for them to change it now. A mistake which will haunt the game for years to come, subtly but continously affecting lots of players, especially as they get better and better driving 'em vehicles.

The Engine cannot. Hardware can if you tune everything for it, with what CDPR was doing especially with the lighting code mess, there is no way the hardware of last gen can handle both. That is the issue.

Honestly if you really want a simulated racing structure, go ahead an play a racing sim. This game driving at less than 60 mph with everything on ultra on my rig, I'll have pop in roadblocks and the car rubberbands and then flips all out as I should of driven already through the Maelstrom roadblock..

The engine of the game with the spaghetti code cannot handle it.

Out of the all the issue with this game,

I find 35 perks not working at all, + several only partially working or overworking,
1 Attribute not working (Tech does not increase armor)
Grenade randomly unable to be thrown (until you reload)
Ram randomly stop regenerating (until you reload)
Health that won't regenerate outside of stims (food won't work, until you reload)
Quickhack that do damage but don't do damage (until you reload)
Hell even the clothing system and mods that don't work much higher priority than actual speed of the cars.

I can and we all have accepted that especially any of us that played games for some time, even racing games do/did this.

I am glad cars are not that fast in this game because without an actual steering wheel as controler you can not do slight course corrections. I.E. if the car does not drive exactly along the middle line of the street but always heads slowly left and right and you have to correct it, you cannot do it so that the car drives perfect ahead, like you would be with a steering wheel. So you have to click right if you get to far to the left and back left if heading to far to the right. Driving this with the normal speed one would drive with in real would be impossible.

It's not just that the "speed" is broken, the whole measurement system is utter nonsense. I don't know what "m" is, but it sure as the **** isn't meters when you're walking around.

For example go to the fast travel outside Claire's garage. There's these nice orange five or six foot square tiles on the ground. Walk ten of them away from the fast travel, and it will say you're 30m away. When you are clearly/visibly not even 50 feet / 16 meters away!

Which is why the driving is so utterly batshit. It says you're doing "40mph" when I can peddle my crippy fat ass faster on my 3 speed bicycle... whilst even the best handling cars in the game handle like you're doing 60.

I almost think the handling would be close to correct in terms of slip/slide if the numbers being fed into it for distance and speed were correct, but they just flat out aren't. Whatever "m" is for distances on the map, it's sure as shine-ola not meters. They seem to think that 1 meter is 1.6 feet. Even on the flipping map!

And really that's most of the problem, is that if VISUALLY the car is doing 15mph, you don't expect it to handle like you're going 60.

It's not just that the "speed" is broken, the whole measurement system is utter nonsense. I don't know what "m" is, but it sure as the **** isn't meters when you're walking around.

For example go to the fast travel outside Claire's garage. There's these nice orange five or six foot square tiles on the ground. Walk ten of them away from the fast travel, and it will say you're 30m away. When you are clearly/visibly not even 50 feet / 16 meters away!

Which is why the driving is so utterly batshit. It says you're doing "40mph" when I can peddle my crippy fat ass faster on my 3 speed bicycle... whilst even the best handling cars in the game handle like you're doing 60.

I almost think the handling would be close to correct in terms of slip/slide if the numbers being fed into it for distance and speed were correct, but they just flat out aren't. Whatever "m" is for distances on the map, it's sure as shine-ola not meters. They seem to think that 1 meter is 1.6 feet. Even on the flipping map!

And really that's most of the problem, is that if VISUALLY the car is doing 15mph, you don't expect it to handle like you're going 60.
Nope, "meter" is quite precise and proper in the game. You can find details of most simple test which allows to establish it in the 1st post of the topic i linked above, and it's far not the only test possible; but the one you did is far too imprecise. The impression you got is probably outta somewhat unnatural walking and running actual speed of V, instead. Which is there for, you know, "gameplay reasons". Also, cyberware and all.

Top Bottom