Visuals to Come + Future Trailer Ideas

+

Does the 2018 trailer conflict with the 2013 trailer?

• Total voters
You could wait until tomorrow and see what else they have in store for us trailer-wise.
Preeettty much this.

That said, OP makes some great points and has great suggestions. But, seriously, guys, they're going to show us more tomorrow. Let's all just wait, yeah?

What's white on the top has to be black on the bottom.
Though one of the reasons why I liked the trailer more than most is because I've started feeling that traditional cyberpunk is a bit played out. Don't get me wrong, I still want CP'MMLXXVII to be the most goddammned theme park-ass over-the-top trope-driven cyberpunk game imaginable because I want to play an open-world version of basically every cyberpunk work ever. But as a personal preference, the grey-hearted noir detectives and side-shaved neon hairdos started getting a little blase to me because I no longer felt that cyberpunk was really saying anything. It's all negativity and pessimism all the time.
And while the world will certainly never be "perfect", it could always be better. As long as you realize that you can't always play by the rules, that sacrifices have to be made, and that the ends justify the means, change can always happen.
As long as you understand that real change never happens overnight and you have to let it build over time, you will realize that you really can make a difference. The reason why we're so cynical about things is because we were told that we could make a difference but we weren't told how long it takes, so we expected to do a little marching here and shout a few slogans there and then have our desired utopian society fall into our lap. And when it didn't happen, we hoped for revolution to pick up the slack, even believing that revolution is inevitable and it's coming someday, forgetting that the Powers That Be can hear everything you're saying and usually (usually!) aren't stupid.
Then that didn't happen and we became jaded, thinking that punk is dead and the only way to survive is through cold hard nihilistic cynicism.

Funny thing is, we've been through this cycle before. A whole century ago, there was a wave of fiction detailing the dangers of totalitarianism and bureaucracy that the Industrial Revolution had inadvertently wrought. This was stuff like We, Brave New World, Metropolis, The Machine Stops, A Clockwork Orange, It Can't Happen Here, Anthem, The Jungle, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, Minority Report, The Man In The High Castle, and of course the Messiah of them all, Nineteen Eighty-Four. It all shouted that the future was a hellhole of totalitarian governments, totally pervasive surveillance, destructive decadence, and a general end of humanity. Following this, we began asking "what else is there?" Even some of the writers of these dystopian works started penning more hopeful and optimistic stories. The problem was that by the '70s, sci-fi got a little too optimistic. Probably because shit genuinely did suck there for a while and detente meant that there was no clear enemy besides the Arabs. Hence cyberpunk.

Gordon Bennet, that went on too long.

My point is, the sun will still shine. Night comes and night goes. If there's too much dwelling on how shitty things are, we're apt to believe that's how it'll always be and never do anything about it. At some point, we do have to start looking up and asking "Is there a way to change this?"
Punk died when it went mainstream not because it became commodified and splintered into many subgenres like metal but because it originally espoused anarchism. Key letters: -ism. Somewhere along the line, anarchism became anarchy, and by "anarchy" we meant "break shit, kill people, paint your hair, fuck the System, man." Which is actually not anarchy at all, but anomie.

TLDR: Fuckaged guy rambles too long about why a video game has daytime segments.

Just made an account to say I felt the exact same way OP. I wanted that classic dark cyberpunk game shown in the reveal trailer. I don't like GTA at all, especially 5 (not saying they're bad games, just my personal feelings).

That said, like other people are saying, this is the first trailer, the game is clearly gigantic, and if W3 proved anything it's that CDPR knows how to make a diverse game. Also it's pretty common for developers to plan for a certain game on day 1 and then 5 years later on day 1780 have something very different. Not even on purpose, but just because it's just the way the game "wants" to be.

As an aside, do you think we're going to space in the game? Look at one of the stations on the subway map!

Attachments

• orbitalSpaceCenter.png
    orbitalSpaceCenter.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 41
  • RED Point
Reactions: Yex
A variety of trailers to show the dynamics and different perspectives from the different classes and how their choices affects one another.

For example, a corporate person might look at corruption as a necessary evil and relish in the opportunities it provides him. From his perspective, corruption would be ideal and from his point of view, life in Nortune City would appear to be smooth sailing, so long as he is making profit from the corruption of course. Everything will be rainbows and sunshine even if he is screwing the rest of society over and things look worse out on the streets because in his world he doesn't have to live among them. His trailer would obviously appear to be lighter even though he is working in the dark.

However, the corruption could have an effect on a cop who is trying to combat corruption within the system while maintaining law and order on the streets. The officers in his department are known to cut corners at times and may or may not have ties to the mega corps that feed off of it's corruption. From his perspective it may look as if his back is up against the wall if he chooses to fight the system and the odds will not be in his favor. His trailer would appear darker and his lifestyle would be much more gritty, especially if he is considered a civil servant and lives among the rest, not well off in secure mansions with private security.

tl;dr version

The different perspectives taken from different characters all working within the same universe with completely different goals. Think yin and yang.

At the very least, we're going to the outer bounds of Earth's atmosphere. I think one of the images in the trailer is in space.
Oh man now I'm excited again for this game. I think I just needed a bit of time to reel from getting something very different from what I built up in my head over the years.

I would second (or twelfth) OP's point. The trailer was reminiscent of GTA because:
  1. It's got driving.
  2. It's got guns.
  3. It's got crime.
  4. It's set in California.
These were all things we already knew and expected. I'm not entirely sure why it all comes as a surprise all of a sudden :)

I would second (or twelfth) OP's point. The trailer was reminiscent of GTA because:
  1. It's got driving.
  2. It's got guns.
  3. It's got crime.
  4. It's set in California.
These were all things we already knew and expected. I'm not entirely sure why it all comes as a surprise all of a sudden :)

I believe everyone's main issue was the old trailer compared with the most recent trailer.

It's a day and night difference for most chummers where one trailer focuses on the dark and gritty side of the game and the most recent trailer looks more like GTA. If you ever watched previous GTA trailers they also have a tendency to show various parts of the world and have commentary about the setting.

With that being said, people have a tendency to identify and categorize things that are familiar to them from previous experience even if the context is completely different. All it has to be is remotely similar in visualization.

I remember when Ruiner first came out. Everyone said it was like Hotline Miami. In reality, it played nothing like Hotline Miami. The only similarity was that it was a top down game with violence and that was about it. I wouldn't even compare the soundtracks because Ruiner was more of the witch house genre (I didn't make up that genre btw) and Hotline Miami was a variety of synth wave artist. Both the games and soundtracks are amazing but they are all completely different animals.

Anyway, I personally don't care if this game plays out like GTA because years ago I grew up playing GTA 2 pretending it took place in a more futuristic dystopian setting. I had always wanted this to happen for the longest time and finally it's becoming a reality. Never thought I'd ever see such a thing like it.

Last edited:
I was disappointed too.

I think most of us that were disappointed with the E3 trailer didn't actually hate it. However, the GTA connection is actually a problem. I believe that a darker and more gritty Cyberpunk was the best way for CDProjekt Red to make something unique. I don't think I've ever seen a dark and fully realized futuristic city, painted with rain, neon and towering skyscrapers reaching into the sky. This doesn't exist in any game out there.

GTA, Watch Dogs and countless other games have the same lighting and color palette, with a bright and "realistically" realized world; but they're also incredibly bland and boring. Cyberpunk 2077 could've been something we hadn't seen before. This is probably the primary reason why many of us are concerned and disappointed.

However, I am still very excited for this game. It's Cyberpunk after all.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
I don't think I've ever seen a dark and fully realized futuristic city, painted with rain, neon and towering skyscrapers reaching into the sky.
If I had to guess, someone will probably create a mod that creates a darker atmosphere with rainy conditions. And if there is a chance where you can control your character's sleep cycle and can probably sleep during the day and operate at night.

• RED Point
This sort of a game could be played in multiple way! I spend lot of hour in the Witcher 3 walking and contemplating people, langscape, wood, looking for a view point, without take care of the quest....I couldn't imagine a game like this only in the dark......I like it of course but i love to appreciate artistic work and many detail by the day, it is more realistic more evasive

My "complaint" about the E3 trailer is ... palm trees?

I've been in that part of California ... it's the lower edge of the famous Redwood Forests ... no palm trees I'm afraid.

But if we assume global warming on a much higher scale then reality ... maybe.

My "complaint" about the E3 trailer is ... palm trees?

I've been in that part of California ... it's the lower edge of the famous Redwood Forests ... no palm trees I'm afraid.

But if we assume global warming on a much higher scale then reality ... maybe.

Palm trees could also be imported into the area. It's not that far from L.A.

Cant wait to get to a beatiful city by that train , everything is sunny and then i start seeing the violence @ the streets , the poor hotel i will be sleeping in for the first part of the story , the first time i go out at night and its rainy and foggy and neon lighted and i get the feeling the world is brutal and cold , having weather changes is only good , if i reached the city and it was rainy and dark , woke up -> rainy and dark , walked around anytime of the day -> rainy and dark it will not have an effect on me , I like variation in a game so i cannot fathom how ppl want the same back setting throughout hundreds of hours of play.....
Let me wakeup , take a look out of my window and think what i want to wear today , is it rainy ? is it a sunny day ? let me have MORE variation instead of less.
Hoping for some gameplay today !!!

Top Bottom