.w3strings viewer\editor

+
.w3strings viewer\editor

Created a .w3strings viewer\editor.

Although the editor part is still very basic and might completely corrupt the file :smile:

Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/676/?

Last edited:
Very very nice dude this opens new opportunities to us :)
Does it even make it possible to add ne text oO?

So if you managed to build this editor, may you be able to make .env files read/editable

You would be the hero of the month^^

I can already edit .env files, but I have not made a graphical editor for it :p

Last edited:

---------- Updated at 07:24 AM ----------

Any micro tuts for this?
Or might open new thread if your willing to share^^

---------- Updated at 07:24 AM ----------

Any micro tuts for this?
Or might open new thread if your willing to share^^

Maybe one day, but I'm not ready to release it yet, I want to make a UI for it. The filetype that .env uses is pretty much the same file type that 90% of the other files in the game use, like w2scene, w2phase, w2ent, reddlc, etc. Although they can contain objects that I have not figured out yet, but that wont stop me from reading\writing what I do know already about the file, the objects within them are just not changeable.

Ok...isit possible to add single strings to w3string filesin your editor?

Would make some modders dreams come true^^

It is not yet, the strings in the file have some weird order that seems to be important, if i read them and write them in a different order i corrupt the file (even if i update the header to match the order, and my tools can just re-read them, but the game cant). So I'm honestly not even sure what would happen if I just added one to the end, it might work just fine, but I have no clue. Also, string id's need to be unique, so if one modder says i will use 123456789 and the next modder thinks the same then one will overwrite the other. And then there is the part about localization keys, I'm not sure where they are stored. Perhaps that's the unknown block in the file, but when you reference localization in code you will not use the string id, but you will use a localization key.

It does not seem to read content\patch0\pl.w3strings correctly. If reading the w3strings files is based on the Lua utilities, then there may be a similar problem to what I was able to fix by changing this line in mod_w3strings.lua
until (b < 64) or (i == 3 and b < 128 )
to
until (b < 64) or (i >= 3 and b < 128 )

Guest 2364765

You coder guys seem like witcher to me^^
Unless something is compressed/encrypted you can chew it through with a hex editor.

Nonetheless, good GUI is always appreciated.

Though i wonder, whether it would be possible to effectively add new entries to the strings files?
Setup of the game clearly wasn't made with mods in mind, adding new item name/description will always try to find locale counterpart and in case it doesn't no name/description is displayed. Which is why some people might want to actually add things to w3strings.

Wow, nice work! CDPR failed with a new expansion and strings, we can already read so much new stuff :)

So, without a official mod tools, we won't be able to add new strings?

It does not seem to read content\patch0\pl.w3strings correctly. If reading the w3strings files is based on the Lua utilities, then there may be a similar problem to what I was able to fix by changing this line in mod_w3strings.lua
until (b < 64) or (i == 3 and b < 128 )
to
until (b < 64) or (i >= 3 and b < 128 )

yea, it is, i really dislike that function :) i really dont see the point in using variable length integers ><

That also seemed to have fixed the kr.w3strings in content4

Last edited:
Top Bottom