Way of the Witcher revealed!

+
Also, maybe I am overlooking someone's comment, however it might be worth pointing out that Viy is specifically shown demolishing parts of a city in it's artwork, which is propably the elven city Maribor is later built on.

Furthermore for everyone saying Ivar would not be as flashy as the other high end Gold cards, just imagine using Ivar on a unit consuming Viy during one of its later stages for an easy (30-40)+ points.

Edit: The previously mentioned Tatterwing could actually make sense with Viy on the copy of it Caranthir spawns.

Guest 4375874

Viy promotes toxic tutoring — and almost makes it feel ok.
I don't know about tutoring being ok lol The toxic tutoring and removal is still just bad game design, a lot of these mechanics were removed and are only being added again so I'm not sure why the devs believe the outcome will now be different.

With Viy though if it gets locked or Yenvo'd then you'd be left with 2 or 3 expensive, bricked tutors. Something like Ritual sacrifice and Weavess: Incantation would be interesting though since they've not seen much play in a while along with Tatterwing

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, maybe I am overlooking someone's comment, however it might be worth pointing out that Viy is specifically shown demolishing parts of a city in it's artwork, which is propably the elven city Maribor is later built on.

Furthermore for everyone saying Ivar would not be as flashy as the other high end Gold cards, just imagine using Ivar on a unit consuming Viy during one of its later stages for an easy (30-40)+ points.

Edit: The previously mentioned Tatterwing could actually make sense with Viy on the copy of it Caranthir spawns.
Ivar is useless in the last three turns of a round

I don't know about tutoring being ok lol The toxic tutoring and removal is still just bad game design, a lot of these mechanics were removed and are only being added again so I'm not sure why the devs believe the outcome will now be different.

With Viy though if it gets locked or Yenvo'd then you'd be left with 2 or 3 expensive, bricked tutors. Something like Ritual sacrifice and Weavess: Incantation would be interesting though since they've not seen much play in a while along with Tatterwing
They are both honestly horrible interactions (Sacrifice and Incantation), given that they just shufffe Viy back into the deck and thus play for a massively negative tempo.
Also in that case the opponent can interact with Viy.
Tatterwing is neat with a copy of Viy created via Caranthir, also given that that additional copy is in most matchups expendable and Tatterwing consumes it at its full base strength, not just 1.
Decks built around Viy want to immediately consume it with Order consumes and Overwhelming Hunger charges, to not give the opponent a chance to interact with the Viy itself (to prevent locks, banishes, adding doomed, Invocation etc), so all of those slow interactions like Sacrifice and deploy consumes are usually undesirable.

Ivar is useless in the last three turns of a round
Not what I stated.
In a deck around Viy you want to continuously play/tutor it and then immediately consume it.
Each time the consuming unit gets the full body of Viy and itself.
Given that Viy decks do that throughout the entire game the idea that Ivar cannot be used on them is just odd.
Ivar and tall punishes in general will have a field day, there is probably not such a thing as a bricked tall punish against that deck.

Last edited:
They are both honestly horrible interactions (Sacrifice and Incantation), given that they just shufffe Viy back into the deck and thus play for a massively negative tempo.
Tatterwing is neat with a copy of Viy created via Caranthir, also given that that additional copy is in most matchups expendable and Tatterwing consumes it at its full base strength, not just 1.
Decks around it want to immediately consume it with Order consumes and Overwhelming Hunger charges, to not give the opponent a chance to interact with the Viy itself (to prevent locks, banishes, adding doomed, Invocation etc).

Not what I stated.
In a deck around Viy you want to continuously play/tutor it and then immediately consume it.
Each time the consuming unit gets the full body of Viy and itself.
Given that Viy decks do that throughout the entire game the idea that Ivar cannot be used on them is just odd.
Ivar and tall punishes in general will have a field day, there is probably not such a thing as a bricked tall punish against that deck.
Oh ok my bad then

Guest 4375874

Decks around it want to immediately consume it with Order consumes and Overwhelming Hunger charges, to not give the opponent a chance to interact with the Viy itself (to prevent locks, banishes, adding doomed, Invocation etc).
Viy by design is negative tempo so that's a given no matter how you decide to use this card. For a tutor focused deck I can however think of scenarios where Sacrifice or Incantation could make for interesting play with multiple Viy.

Viy by design is negative tempo so that's a given no matter how you decide to use this card. For a tutor focused deck I can however think of scenarios where Sacrifice or Incantation could make for interesting play with multiple Viy.
How is Viy negative tempo by design ?
Sacrifice and Incantation shuffle Viy back into the deck, so you play for 0 points in 2 cards and only strengthen Viy by 3 points, while with cards like Barbegazi you get 14 points + all the upgrades of Viy already accumulated in 2 cards and still get the upgrade.
Why would you want a 2 card 0 point play if you could get the same benefits with 14+ points also being deployed ?

How to Sacrifice or Incantation work with Viy? I can just imagine two cases:
1) It´s really suffled back. So you lose Viy on board without getting any value. But have a +3 Viy in deck.
2) Nothing happens.
(3) Do not think that a copy boosted by 3 will be spawn in a deck.

Probably 1) will happen and this definitely bad. There are much better targets for this cards. I would even argue that they antisynergize with Viy.

How to Sacrifice or Incantation work with Viy? I can just imagine two cases:
1) It´s really suffled back. So you lose Viy on board without getting any value. But have a +3 Viy in deck.
2) Nothing happens.
(3) Do not think that a copy boosted by 3 will be spawn in a deck.

Probably 1) will happen and this definitely bad. There are much better targets for this cards. I would even argue that they antisynergize with Viy.
(3) cannot really be as Viy mentions spawn nowhere in the text (Edit: It specifically mentions itself being moved).
I would say (3) should be: Strengthen Viy on the board by 3.
That being said I am 90% sure that it will be (1).

Last edited:
Meme combo with Salamander, Madame Luiza, and Syanna; kill everything that doesn't have Veil (and advance the "kill only using Poison" contract). Would be hilarious.
Sadly I believe that the tribute is not actually a deploy ability, only the poison 1 enemy is. However if it worked, that would be amazing.

Guest 4375874

(3) cannot really be as Viy mentions spawn nowhere in the text (Edit: It specifically mentions itself being moved).
I would say (3) should be: Strengthen Viy on the board by 3.
That being said I am 90% sure that it will be (1).
That's fine really, Ritual Sacrifice activates all Deathwish on your rows simultaneously (sort of) not just Viy. I can think of situations where I'd like to return a deathwish unit to my deck with carryover in this case. Could be useful in closing R1 assuming I had two or more Viy, at least return one to my deck. Certainly not without it's risks but doable

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of lore behind Sapkowski story that you may find interesting: he acquired the idea of Viy from slavic folklore (and probably also from 19th century Russian writer named Gogol who had a famous story called Viy).

If you don't have the time to read, Viy is a slavic demonic creature. Imagine a mix of the crones from the Witcher and the Greek god of death Hades and you'll get the picture.

Sadly I believe that the tribute is not actually a deploy ability, only the poison 1 enemy is. However if it worked, that would be amazing.
I think it was confirmed (by Molegion ?) during Crozyr's stream.
You get the Deploy again and the Tribute is a keyword for the deploy ability, so you get the deploy ability again and have the option to upgrade it by paying 9 coins.

Top Bottom