We Need More Cards Like Draug

+
Draug might be my favorite card, design-wise. It has an interesting ability with a dynamic damage range. If you can create a perfect board with a lot of humans on your side and with plenty of 1 strength units, you'll get a nice pay-off. On average, though, reaching his break even point is challenging, but fair. I like these concepts more than, let's say, Ves. While Ves is awesome, she is also boring; flat strength and flat damage.

Let's look at a few more interesting mechanics:
Wild Boar of the Sea: suits the damage archetype and requires setup.
Letho/Caranthir: copy machine with limitless possibilities.
The Crones Trio: playing these in order matters, allowing for various tactics.
Yennefer: she used to be interesting, now the break even point is too difficult to reach, still the concept is nice.
Cerys: simple, yet elegant.
Aglaïs/Olaf: buffing with a different touch.
Ritual Sacrifice: like pressing all the buttons on a console.

Runner-ups (less binary removal tools):
Keltullis: more is less.
Villenmethingy: can be countered; requires at least some thought to play.
Regis: requires setup.

Very interesting list and very plausible idea behind. To go slightly off topic, just why exactly Ves is used as bad example?? :D She is as "bad" as other removals, her zeal is giving her extra synergy with NR order cards.. From the "removals spectrum", I consider her to be rather better than worse.

For me, also Shupe is potential candidate here. If not abused by Emhyr and played twice (??!!!), is nice and interesting card as well. Given the limitation, not overpowered from my pov.

why exactly Ves is used as bad example??

Is a strong card, yes. However, design-wise, it's just boring. The extra zeal ability just makes it an auto-include.

For me, also Shupe is potential candidate here.

Thought about mentioning Shupe, but didn't because he is a bit too much in the opposite direction. He actually needs less abilities and no RNG. Still, building decks just to support one card is a nice concept.

rrc

Forum veteran
My list in addition to yours:

1) Operator: 10 provision to give you 5 points, but can greatly help you synergies with your archetype (Reveal, Spy, SK Beast)
2) Dudu: Just a *copy* from your Letho/Caranthir suggestion
3) Schirru: Even though it is nerfed to oblivion now, the mechanics is still unique.
4) Flaminica (or whatever she is called): Poor value on board, but can greatly synergize with damage self archetype (which is sadly never seen as Crach Spear s**t is super convenient and no one wants to try anything new or take risks)

1) Operator: 10 provision to give you 5 points, but can greatly help you synergies with your archetype (Reveal, Spy, SK Beast)
2) Dudu: Just a *copy* from your Letho/Caranthir suggestion

1. Operator was one of my favorite cards in Beta, but now he has lost his charm, unfortunately.
2. A lesser copy, though.

I would add to the list Assire van Anahid. Aside the Roach trick she can add back to your deck a powerful card or steal to those nasty ghouls their favorite dish.

And yes we need more cards like Olaf, Draug, Operator!

P.s. Bring back Aye aye sir with their former ability. :smart:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree that Draug's concept is interesting, but i still think he's too powerful, and even though i see him less nowadays, he used to be in all NR decks and was (and is) a nightmare to face off, unless you either ran 100% removal or had a glorious Gimpy at the end of last turn to ravage those revenants (you could also use Gimpy as soon as Draug is played, but its riskier if even one survives)

I agree with some of the other mentions - love Operator, love Caranthir, Letho KS, love Cerys (ever since i met her in TW3, then on my main QG deck on Gwent Open Beta), but i really really love...

Yennefer (the card, not the character). She is probably the only unit i can think of that has the exact same ability (with the exception that now unicorn/chironex are separate cards) ever since closed beta, and its super versatile.

Since now Arachas Glustyworps decks are no longer an obscure thing, i moved on and made a crazy swarm deck with Yennefer which is awesome because it provides me tons of value with either her -2pts or +2pts ability, depending on the current board. Sometimes i even use both (damage first, then boost) for crazy scenarios.

P.S.- Yennefer was actually the very first Gold Legendary i got on a Keg.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom