Weekly Poll 4/22/2019 - Ripperdocs

+

What roles do you most want Ripperdocs to have in the game?

• Total voters
C : > WEEKLY POLL QUESTION HAX
C : > RAWLS execute

Alright everyone, this week were going to think about what we want from Ripperdocs as characters and as gameplay mechanics. From what we know so far, they're generally going to be our way to repair, install, purchase and upgrade cyberware. But what do we MOST want from them? Poll is limited to 3 answers or less.

I guess I'll go with 3, 6, and 7. Took me a second because somebody didn't include poll numbers this time around (or do all of the polls lack numbers and I just missed it?).

I want them to be unique characters with quests, or at least stories, that the player can learn about over time. I like the idea of specialization, and some ripper docs should definitely be better than others - or at least, sell better gear than others. Vic, for example, seems like a pro, but also perhaps a lower-end doc given his location. Still good at his job! But maybe he doesn't have his hands on the corporate-tier stuff (or maybe he does, we didn't see much of his inventory).

Also, I vote for Rawls to handle the polls from here on out.

It would be fun if NPC vendors were slightly different, like different personalities, if you look fashionable, female NPC might give you better deal etc, lke in 99% of the game they are the same always. Theres definitely chance for some innovation. Some NPCs might be bitter if you've too much cyber-stuff, and rise the price. Game industry uses all kind of haggling systems, but NPC vendors with different personalities sounds like a first to me.

It would be fun if NPC vendors were slightly different, like different personalities, if you look fashionable, female NPC might give you better deal etc, lke in 99% of the game they are the same always. Theres definitely chance for some innovation. Some NPCs might be bitter if you've too much cyber-stuff, and rise the price. Game industry uses all kind of haggling systems, but NPC vendors with different personalities sounds like a first to me.
I like these ideas! Particularly that bit about fashion. It shouldn't be exclusive to female NPCs (if you play as a woman, for example) and obviously, it shouldn't work on all vendors (Vic probably won't be too phased by a fancy-lookin' V), but as a general concept, this is solid.

I can't think of many other games that do this sort of thing either, except Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

3 4 and 7.
Ripper docs should be characters, with possibilities to get high end gear through the ones that are a little shadier than others.

I think that the skill of the ripperdoc should reflect gear and prices. They shouldnt be loyal to one brand, imo. A high end doc might be selling some low end goods, but his prices are still a little higher than the no-name doc down the street.

2 You might need to replace cyber gear. Like take out the eye and replace it with a new cyber leg if you are getting to close to the edge. You might need a little bit wiggle room with your points.

3 Everyone should be an individual in the game.

7 This is a good a point , richer areas should have better / more expensive cyber gear and Docs .
Post automatically merged:

I like these ideas! Particularly that bit about fashion. It shouldn't be exclusive to female NPCs (if you play as a woman, for example) and obviously, it shouldn't work on all vendors (Vic probably won't be too phased by a fancy-lookin' V), but as a general concept, this is solid.

I can't think of many other games that do this sort of thing either, except Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Maybe it`s just me i thought Vic did have a soft spot for V. He seems to let her pay after rather than ( as i guess most would pay) before . Maybe Misty is his GF time will tell.

Last edited:
2 You might need to replace cyber gear. Like take out the eye and replace it with a new cyber leg if you are getting to close to the edge. You might need a little bit wiggle room with your points.

3 Everyone should be an individual in the game.

7 This is a good a point , richer areas should have better / more expensive cyber gear and Docs .
Post automatically merged:

Maybe it`s just me i thought Vic did have a soft spot for V. He seems to let her pay after rather than ( as i guess most would pay) before . Maybe Misty is his GF time will tell.
You aren't wrong, but I took that more as a "Scrappy kid who I've taken under my wing" versus a "I have a crush on you" type of thing. Like the old, wise bartender who takes an interest in the young drifter who stops by every now and then.

Voted 1, but wish there was an option like: "My character doesn't pollute it's own body with cyberware."

Last edited:
1, 3, and 7.

@Rawls what does K.I.S.S. mean?

I'd like ripperdocs as vendors of skills.

You want the double jump? you go to a ripperdoc and BUY with your E$ legs that allow you to do it. You want to reduce recoil to every weapon without the need to buy/mod your gear (which should still be an option)? Go and buy an arm with a stabilizer (or whatever you call it). X-rays sight? buy eyes...
In this way you give a justification to a classic skill tree and you don't break the immersion. You give value to in-game money that pushes you to do more side quests (no grinding, narrative in full CDPR style). Humanity cost limits your character so that you need to make choices: RPG at its best.
Given the fundamental role of ripperdocs, they should be "alive" NPCs, with dialogues, some quests to make you earn their trust (=discounts and illegal cyberware) and the chances to miss them if you don't "explore" the game properly.

Demo looked very similar to this, hopefully it's still the case and levels are used only for stats and not skills/perks.

"Keep it simple, stupid." It's an expression that in this context means there isn't any need to over-complicate merchant mechanics.
I've also heard "Keep it stupid simple" when one wants to be less insulting. But it's not as catchy. :p

BIG fan of K.I.S.S. here!

Trouble is, in many cases people assume that means leaving out features, and you wind up with a game simplified to the point of being repetitive and boring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom