Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh some are more talkative, but it seems to me most aren't. If you think CDPR have some policy for staff posting here, I'd agree its likely, but I'd also say I can't see all the angles to that particular chestnut so I can't judge its content, efficacy or need.

I am quite certain the forums are not ignored.

Gamers.... we are an emotional bunch used to hurting people with our fingers... BW / Beth have had employees harassed on their boards, so as much as its great to see a RED post.... I wouldn't like to see that here....

Yeah it's fairly much undisputed that the devs listen to our bullshit, the amount of features we asked for that got stuck in the enhanced edition of both games is fairly bloody astonishing. For instance we all asked about that great big tower in Loc Muinne, the one with the eye sigil, lo and behold one of the greatest quests of the whole game is held there. I'm all for 'em just listening, weighing and filtering out the crap in favour of good stuff they also want, I don't need to have warm soapy showers with 'em.

Edit: Though I wouldn't mind.

Last edited:
I don't know why the devs don't post, but looking at forums where they DO, I can think of a half-dozen reasons why they prefer not to.

And, in the end, what matters is the final product.

(And it would need to be a big shower to fit us all inside)

They read but they rarely respond and that's always been the case. Not sure if it's policy or if they're busy or they just have better things to do. But the way they patched TW2, all the little things they changed and stuff they added, shows that they read the forum. At least they respond once in a while over here. Over at the CP forum...nothing. :(

Why is it that this never comes up in those classic RPG's when the first great battle is against a couple of giant rats?

Believe me it does in Pen & Paper games, just usually involves a couple of beers. It ain't a coincidence that those giant rats are called "A R.O.U.S*"

My D&D players always fear the day an NPC is called Inigo Montoya.

That's my feeling as well. You see them answering questions from all kind of sources, but you practically never see them answering questions which come from this forum. It's weird really, as if they strongly want to avoid direct communication.

About politics and other subjects - I think it's immature that moderators prevent such discussions to begin with. Their job should be stopping things from going astray when they do, not censoring subjects which can lead to flaming. If they think that it's too off-topic for the gaming forum, they can create an off-topic section specifically.

As much as I'd like a political discussion for the community it's best not to. Moderators aren't wrong by not allowing a subject. Time has proven that a thread will be pushed out of control by certain people who want to see how many more buttons they can press. There have been such threads that hardly needed moderating. But those are far and few in between. There have been more where you see many, many red outlines.

If you have a problem with the rules you should go to the ones who make the rules- the admins. Mod simply follow the rules they are given to enforce, with SOME autonomy on what they think is appropriate or not. It pisses me off to see people grief them when they are unpaid volunteers who love their community so much they want to help make it a better place. Some forums are policed a lot more heavily than this one.

I think moderators said there is no such rule which prevents threads about politics and the like. It's their own preference to proactively prevent such threads because they can lead to flaming. I can understand that from practical standpoint - it saves them time, but on the other hand it makes the forum more restrictive than it could be.

I think moderators said there is no such rule which prevents threads about politics and the like. It's their own preference to proactively prevent such threads because they can lead to flaming. I can understand that from practical standpoint - it saves them time, but on the other hand it makes the forum more restrictive than it could be.

No moderator said there is no such rule. There are in fact rules governing insulting posts that are enforced by prohibiting topics that predictably lead to such posts. If you believe I said otherwise, you should reread what I wrote in its entirety.

I cited the forum policy and the interpretation placed on this policy by the administrators and the moderators. I gave exact reasons why the policy is what it is. It is not moderator preference. It is the express intent of the forum administration that this forum not be used for controversies on which even reasonable discussion will predictably result in flaming. This specifically includes current political events and real-world religions.

These additional forum rules will be of interest to members who think the forum policy should not be enforced:

"Users may not.... seek out loopholes in these terms and conditions with a view towards exploiting them."

" In all matters not expressly provided for hereunder, forum users shall accept and abide by the ruling(s) of forum moderators."

The administrators have stated that the policy as it has been explained to you is the forum policy. It has not changed Discussion aimed at casting blame on the forum administrators, moderators, or policy as it has been stated is not welcome. All further dispute shall be conducted by private communication, in accordance with this forum rule:

"All complaints regarding forum moderators or appeals against their decisions shall be examined and resolved by CD Projekt RED as represented by Keth. Submissions of this type should take the form of private communications or e-mails. Any complaint or appeal submitted otherwise shall be null and void."

Last edited:
Say what you will but those restrictions are in place for good reason. There are people who just want to see the world burn, or so says the meme. Why not just go ahead and prevent it. Especially when there are other places you can discuss certain issues, just not here.

Slimgrin OG in this hairy ale house.

Say what you will but those restrictions are in place for good reason. There are people who just want to see the world burn, or so says the meme. Why not just go ahead and prevent it. Especially when there are other places you can discuss certain issues, just not here.

Ok I am not looking an argument here :p, but in the forum rules, there is no rule forbidding "controversial topics", how would you define one exactly ? For a controversy to rage on this board first you'd need two people with diametrically opposed views on a subject and a mutual desire for some trolling. We certainly have the former, but the latter? I suspect we could make a controversy out of anything, and isn't that the point... flamewar can start in any thread, it's less the topic than it is the people.

But what Guy is defending is the current policy (maybe Im blind but I can't actually see it as a rule anywhere, and the catch-all clause doesn't fit imo) of preempting flames by disapproving the topics that are most likely to cause sparks. Sensible preventative measure, but it is restrictive, and must be very fuzzy in its application. I could talk about some of the crazy things that happen here and probably not offend anyone since my local neanderthals' can't abide anyone not like them, certainly wouldn't like any of you lot, so probably aren't any about. Maybe its because I live surrounded by the epitome of a polarised community that I can hold a civil conversation about anything, detaching any emotional connection I may have enabling myself to view the thing objectively, entirely to explore the subject, not force through a point of view.

But communication skills need to be practiced, and to do so there must be an appropriate arena. The topics we might discuss, they're not CDPRs problem, and neither is giving us somewhere to gather and debate, but I just find it a little weird, like theres a disconnect between the game & forum community, that an International forum frequented by diverse people who - due to Geralts' worlds appeal it could be assumed - appreciate complexity in words & actions, who understand events aren't just a matter of black & white, that power corrupts and theres always someone with an agenda, and who expect & can face up to consequences.... yet can't question or learn from eachother because eventually there would be flames.

The rules likely to be broken by emotive topics are the hate speech rules, they are useful restrictions, and I very rarely see those deliberately broken here, occasionally typos & miscommunications, but we do not currently appear to have that many rabid arsonists on the board, maybe the mods think different. It may well be that by preventing current affairs discussions - and lets face it we are basically saying "no significant international news please, don't share difficult topics, in case you mistakenly offend the Eskimo, or other ethnicity" - we are in fact restricting how close this community can grow.

I think limiting free speech to avoid argument just limits discussions, and discussions are essential for us all to improve. They don't have to include harsh words, although would allowing someone to vent briefly really be so bad? Actually such threads may teach us better forum-speak and tact. Sometimes you have to vocalise, or somehow externalise, a concept to progress anywhere with it. Yes you can say that this is not the place for such talk, that there are more suitable places where they talk about that stuff already, but simply talking isn't the point, it's who you are talking to. I don't wan't to talk to some politico twiteratti with whom I have nothing in common about Ukraine, I want to hear ordinary people who I can identify with share some insight or connection to the events. Theres more chance I could be enlightened by one of you than there is that any mainstream news outlet will cover the topic in sufficient depth. History to them tends to be the broad strokes of important dates & notable power brokers, but I tend to think of history as much more the tale of how the ordinary people survive... "the World turns on a million acts of kindness", not the behaviour of governments & rulers.

Me, personally, talk about whatever, doesn't matter. You have three kinds of people: ones who won't care, neutral like you and I, ones who be offended, and others who will purposefully offend. These are just examples and in no way should they be expanded upon other than for demonstration.

If were to have a gay rights thread. Someone will get offended.
Or the situation in Ukraine. This will lead to foreign policy, which will lead to a heated political debate.
Should Elizabeth II and the House of Lords be deposed and England transition into a republic. A political and hot topic debate. That one could go either way, admittedly.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have controversial topics in no way. But ones that will knowingly lead to flamebait posts and hurt feelings just shouldn't be started. I as well want the community to be connected, but there's just too much a risk of the above.

This is just my personal view.
And we are in the Hairy Bear, so here's a drink on me.

They read but they rarely respond and that's always been the case. Not sure if it's policy or if they're busy or they just have better things to do. But the way they patched TW2, all the little things they changed and stuff they added, shows that they read the forum. At least they respond once in a while over here. Over at the CP forum...nothing. :(

I don't think it's policy, they're just really, really busy.

@GingerEffect who recently joined the team posted in a thread or two and talked a bit with us in the German community thread. It became obvious that he wants to post more, but he's just working too much to give many adequately detailed answers - and when he does, it's in the morning before work starts or during lunch break. I don't expect the devs to post about their work during their time off work - it's important that they have some time off to get their minds on other things.

I'm perfectly fine with the way they're handling things. It's obvious that they read a lot, discuss that which they read internally and many good ideas make it to their games, eventually. Getting involved in the public discussion of ideas is not necessary. For any other important matter, there's @Marcin Momot; who, I think, recently became a little more active and communicative - no idea what his schedule or job description looks like, but he's always open for personal requests and the like, less so for directly participating in discussions.

@Csàszàr; Oh I have no illusions that even if the regulars remain orderly should controversial topics be allowed, stones would upturn and trolls crawl out from under and proceed to fulfil their lifes purpose. You are right, some people really can't help but be offended by anything remotely threatening to their world view, while others actively search out offence to rail against, and then some of us think lifes too short, or too uncertain, for wasting on such negativity... but we are mimics, and if we ever get a chance to see a better way of dealing with tough subjects, maybe we'd even learn something.

Politics shouldn't be considered a controversial subject imo, as we are all surrounded by it, and these days every shade of it is basically the same uninspiring colour, but still I would be concerned if the topic could never be broached here. But I don't think thats what frightens people, it's the actual conflicts old & new that may have opposing sides present on the forum, and the chance of ill-considered words opening a new front.

It's good to be neutral.

Anyway, who wants a beer?

I have no idea what you discuss here, but I heard someone mention beer. :laughing:

Here's some Cintrian Faro. Syrup-sweetened. Cheers! :beer:

EDIT: Took a look at some of the posts. I had no intention to offend anyone with my hearty post. You seem to discuss serious stuff here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom