Welcome to the new thewitcher.com!

+
I believe CDPR and Bioware have opposing view concerning the outcome of their death-duel in Q1 2011. Both parties look confident enough. It is for us players to decide the outcome though.....

Well, I surely won’t buy this boring and generic junk called DA2, not after that first part. But hey, the majority of people is daft as a bush and has a taste that is diametrically opposed to mine. So we’ll see if quality wins this “death-duel” ...

It's Q1 2011 so pretty soon, right? ;-)
Not soon enough:) But I would rather wait for perfection, heheDa2 versus TW2, not worried at all. The witcher all the way...

Demut said:
Well, I surely won’t buy this boring and generic junk called DA2, not after that first part. But hey, the majority of people is daft as a bush and has a taste that is diametrically opposed to mine. So we’ll see if quality wins this “death-duel” ...
Its not a duel, and your 'superior' tastes are just that: yours.If DA2 is as good as DA:O, I'll be getting it.

I enjoyed the Witcher, but I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins more. I'm glad sequels are forthcoming for both, as I will buy, play, and hopefully enjoy both as much as the originals.

There are not enough rpgs like DA or TW. So its not a death duel but a two horse carriage. With the carriage being the genre.

wisielec said:
There are not enough rpgs like DA or TW. So its not a death duel but a two horse carriage. With the carriage being the genre.
Bad analogy. The genre will be enriched even if only one of them is good. A horse carriage , on the other hand, will overturn if one horse run faster (one game is better) than the other.

Vilgefortze said:
Vilgefortze said:
Bad analogy. The genre will be enriched even if only one of them is good. A horse carriage , on the other hand, will overturn if one horse run faster (one game is better) than the other.
don't be so nitpicking! :D

slimgrin said:
Its not a duel, and your 'superior' tastes are just that: yours.
Duh. One, I only used this term to refer to Vilgefortze and two, who ever said something about my tastes being superior? I just noted that they are unique in terms of how many other people share them. From the viewpoint of aforementioned majority they might very well be perceived as bad or, to put it your way, “inferior”. Don’t mistake me for being arrogant. I lay in no way any claim to infallibility, superiority or the like.

@slimgrinHere hereby claim responsibility for the term "duel".And I stand by what I said. It will be a duel. It'll be history repeating itself. There will be threads all over the place:"Which is better: DA2 or TW2". The Devs know it too. There can be only one ruler in the rpg arena, and both teams are anxious to seize the spot. You know how galleons needed to pull up next to each other in a naval battle? This is exactly the same. Both games released in Q1 2011 is just like the two Dev team pulling up their galleons next to each other, and getting getting ready to fire a broadside. All this "enriching the rpg world" thing will shatter when the games actually come out. Everyone will choose sides, and you know it. Everybody does.....@wisielec:p

In all the buzz everyone's forgotten the sequel to Fallout 3's due out this month. Swords have been replaced by nuclear rifles, but it's still a crpg. If it's as good as Fallouts 1 through 3 it will be my favorite. Nothing beats the sheer joy of taking a super mutant's head off with a single shot from a thousand yards with your Gauss rifle.

At least it won't have the dreaded "walkmesh" whose inventor should be hung, drawn and quartered, then burned at the stake for the deliberate practice of Black Magic. The appeal of Fallout 3 (and Oblivion for that matter) is that within the confines of the game "world" you can go ANYWHERE. If there's a fence you can jump it. If there's a mountain, you can climb it. If there's a river, you can swim it. You don't experience the tooth grinding rage I felt in The Witcher when my way was barred by a lousy three foot tall picket fence.

Well, I will certainly play it though without paying for it. I mean the game itself is probably not bad. But for a Third-Person-RPG like “The Witcher” I don’t think it’s necessary to compete with sandbox game in this point. It’s nice if it does but one shouldn’t really be surprised or, as in your case, angry when you don’t get the kind of freedom of movement like in aforementioned genre.

DanConnors said:
At least it won't have the dreaded "walkmesh" whose inventor should be hung, drawn and quartered, then burned at the stake for the deliberate practice of Black Magic. The appeal of Fallout 3 (and Oblivion for that matter) is that within the confines of the game "world" you can go ANYWHERE. If there's a fence you can jump it. If there's a mountain, you can climb it. If there's a river, you can swim it. You don't experience the tooth grinding rage I felt in The Witcher when my way was barred by a lousy three foot tall picket fence.
You can't really compare TW with Fallout/Oblivion. Fallout and Oblivion are a open world setting. TW is not. In TW, the world is restricted as there is a "proper way" or the "only way" of doing certain things. Open world games offer more flexibility. TW is mission oriented. In Oblivion you can forget the main quest completely and become a hunter or something. I've been playing a single profile in Oblivion for the past year and a half. Trying out new mods, developing my mods, testing them, exploring vanilla ruins, downloading more ruins and exploring them.My Oblivion folder is 35 GB in size at present. You know how much I progressed in the main quest? I havn't even been to the abbey yet. In games like TW you gain joy from the plot itself. In games like Oblivion there is no plot. Their attempts at a "plot" are so ridiculous that even they do not continue the sham anymore. They put in a minuscule plot to prevent it from becoming completely sandbox and focus on creating an elaborate world instead.

I hope we're not talking "piracy" here, because I have absolutely no use for it in any shape, guise, or pretended idealism. The entire livelihood of the programmers who create these games is based on honest sale and use of their product. To pirate a game is as bad as holding up a normal working stiff at gunpoint. As for Fallout 3 not having a plot, I have to differ. There was a plot, and at the end of the original, your character had to choose life as a coward or death. In the beginning I hated that choice, but now I appreciate it. Nothing says "Game over." like your main character dying. The "vault dweller" has never been the same person in any game of the series, for good reasons. You can postphone this moment of truth as long as you wish by embarking on the literally endless list of side quests, but it's there waiting for you. Of course with the addition of "Broken Steel" the fateful choice is removed--to the overall detriment of the game, I believe.

DanConnors said:
It wasn't that bad. Actually, I think The Witcher is a very effective blend of open-world and story driven gameplay. There was considerable freedom in where you could go and the order you did things. The areas themselves were fairly large, certainly much larger than DA or ME2.Of course not being able to climb over a 3 foot fence was annoying, but we won't be experiencing this in TW2, thankfully.

Top Bottom