What do you want the Cyberprotag to be like?

+
What do you want the Cyberprotag to be like?

While I appreciate customization of sex and appearance, I'm hoping we actually have a history in the game. I don't think most blank slate protagonists have nearly the same level of depth as Geralt or Adam Jensen so it'd be nice for us to have a history we can explore as the CyberProtag. I'm not sure how much that's going to be an option but it'd be interesting to assume a role which we can shape but still grounds us to the setting's "Reality."

What do you want from the CyberProtag?

I want a lifepath system ala the original PnP, or atleast backstory options to explain what the characters did before they/what caused them to land in the gutter.

Personally, I want a bitter, Ex-Corporate Military solo as my character, but Im not sure if that will be possible.

Also, crossdressing as an option.

Last edited:
Here's what I *THINK* will happen from what's been said:

You'll start as a poor as **** character in Night City's slums when you get caught up in some shady as shit Braindance stuff and have the chance to become as a rich-as-fuck criminal or "bleah" do the right thing as the criminal conspiracy gets higher and higher and you end up a merc doing ugly things for ugly people. You can ally with the Cops, Yakuza, Megacorps, or them and betray them.

The plot won't be anything about saving the world and the plot is about you making money and how much you're willing to compromise yourself/screw over other people to do it. Character customization will be a thing even if you'll have the "Shepard" sort of background so that people can address you by name. You'll also be able to choose some short bios which will come up in game a couple of times, again, like Mass Effect.

You'll be able to customize your gender, appearance, sexuality, and background even if it all ends you up in the same place.

You may also be able to bring a long a companion ala Fallout.

Willowhugger;n7506210 said:
Here's what I *THINK* will happen from what's been said:

You'll start as a poor as **** character in Night City's slums when you get caught up in some shady as shit Braindance stuff and have the chance to become as a rich-as-fuck criminal or "bleah" do the right thing as the criminal conspiracy gets higher and higher and you end up a merc doing ugly things for ugly people. You can ally with the Cops, Yakuza, Megacorps, or them and betray them.

The plot won't be anything about saving the world and the plot is about you making money and how much you're willing to compromise yourself/screw over other people to do it. Character customization will be a thing even if you'll have the "Shepard" sort of background so that people can address you by name. You'll also be able to choose some short bios which will come up in game a couple of times, again, like Mass Effect.

You'll be able to customize your gender, appearance, sexuality, and background even if it all ends you up in the same place.

You may also be able to bring a long a companion ala Fallout.

Its also been stated there might be drop-in "Invasions" ala Dark Souls and Watch Dogs, presumably another guy or gal hired to mess you up.

Honestly, I'm also hoping for some variety in the romance/sex options. I think of them as good builders for immersion.

* I'd like some actual deep and complicated romances like Yennefer vs. Triss with one difficult but loving while another sweet but troublesome
* Some one-night stands because it's Punk and Noir
* At least one woman who will betray you after you "romance" her because that's how these things roll.

I'm wondering also if you'll have a companion ala Fallout in these things or companions.

They've hinted at the possibility but I think this works best as a single player mode.

kanonite;n7506170 said:
Also, crossdressing as an option.
Fallout 4 welcomes you.

kanonite;n7508300 said:
Yeah, I have like, 280 hours spent in it.

Purely for crossdressing option? Then again, bethesda didn't accomplish anything since it's purely cosmetic choice, not a single character reacts to a veteran in women's dress.

metalmaniac21;n7508350 said:
Purely for crossdressing option? Then again, bethesda didn't accomplish anything since it's purely cosmetic choice, not a single character reacts to a veteran in women's dress.

Don't get in the face of the guy with the murder in his eye and who survived the wasteland getting here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MS_EUg_Q4

My favorite side quest in Mass Effect series, from first game, from Colonist background. ( Shame BW didn't continue on with this)

They don't need to be large in length or number, but to feel like they have impact when it comes to protagonist characterization, related to certain event in your background.

metalmaniac21;n7508350 said:

Nah, I found the looting and shooting satisfying, and yeah, the low amount of reactivity to attire (barring remarks by guards about power armor and such) was a bit of a miss for the game.

I want it to be more like Shadowrun game on Megadrive in general, which was exactly sandbox RPG, and less GTA-alike. I also want it to be less serious about itself than any other cyberpunk game/movie/novel, there's other material for that purpose.

metalmaniac21;n7509650 said:
I want it to be more like Shadowrun game on Megadrive in general, which was exactly sandbox RPG, and less GTA-alike. I also want it to be less serious about itself than any other cyberpunk game/movie/novel, there's other material for that purpose.

Thats actually gonna be the case i believe, I remember an interview saying 2077 will "Be full of rock n roll."

metalmaniac21;n7509650 said:

By contrast, I want it to be completely hard core serious and gritty. Maybe with a sense of humor but very very black.

Hard R-rated storytelling.

kanonite;n7509850 said:
Thats actually gonna be the case i believe, I remember an interview saying 2077 will "Be full of rock n roll."

Ahhh...that's because Cyberpunk 2020 has an actual rocker Role, the "Rockerboy". So, yeah, music is a big thing. Rockerboy also describes most charismatic type jobs, comedian, actors, even politicians.

Now, as to the theme of Cyberpunk and how your main character should reflect this, it's not Fallout-funny. It's not slapstick. I don't know how CDPR will show it, but typically it's pretty black humour.

There are few, if any, true Cyberpunk games in the last ten years. Twenty? Ever? The others have fantasy elements, (Shadowrun) or lack the 'punk, (Deus Ex) or lack the cybernetics/Edge (Watch Dogs). There's elements, but nothing so far that incorporates all of these into a delicious whole.

So I'm all in favour of humour, but keep the Cyberpunk edgy, dark, dirty feel.

The protagonist will hopefully reflect this.

Oooh! That's another argument against voice. Doing humour well is tough - and doing a badass well is also tough. Combining both? Yikes.

Last edited:
God, there's people who don't want a voiced protagonist!?

Yikes!

Then again, Fallout 4 was a huge disaster with the dull surprise of the male protagonist. Courtney Taylor, at least, is impossible to dislike in any role.

One of things I'd like to see with our characters is that (as has already been mentioned) we get the lifepath options per the 90s RPG so that we can create a character with a past... But in addition to that, that our past WILL come back to haunt us.

It would be good if we as players had a choice between a completely random lifepath, or that we were given a series of questions that we had to answer about our character. Or maybe a mix of the two.

Eg. We don't get to pick the economic class of our parents and how many siblings we have, but we do get to choose what we did with our lives after that.

In addition to us deciding the gender, ethnicity, accent/speech pattern (which could flavour the way our character talks), I'd like to see questions like:

• Did your parents send you to school? [y/n]
• Did you pay attention? [y/n]
• Have you killed someone yet? [y/n]
- If so, how old were you? [select from a series of brief scenarios/options, some accidents, others intentional]
• Have you worked for a Megacorp?
- If so, which one [select from a series of options, one of which might be that you took a job from a Fixer and didn't know you were doing a job for a Megacorp]
• Do you have Cyberware?
- If so, where was it installed?
• Did you ever try drugs?
• Does your character drink alcohol?

It would be good if taking drugs/alcohol had short term benefits, but at a cost. Eg, helps you to fend off psychosis from the fact that you've just killed 18 people on your last job, but you are now risking getting addicted.

I also want to see Cyberpsychosis being a very real threat to our characters. That is, the more metal we stick in our bodies, if we don't look after ourselves our bodies will reject the implants and/or we will go crazy.

• Suuuuure.... You can go to Thailand and get Cyberware installed cheaper than you can here, but are you *sure* you want to do that?
• Or, that Ripper Doc's lab is covered in grime. It's an infection waiting to happen, but so long as you survive the surgery and your body doesn't reject it, the stuff they source is solid and won't let you down. Unless the company goes bankrupt and you can't get power sources anymore, but what are the chances of that happening?...
• Or, you can go to that new clinic and it's shiny and clean, but can you trust that you're *only* getting the cyberware you want and paid for? Can you be sure that they're not installing "undocumented features" like automatic updates to a Megacorp of everything you've been doing that day, or a cortex bomb that will detonate if you ever do a job against them?

It will be interesting to see which narrative CDPR go with for our character:

• Start in a lush apartment, which we may or may not loose as the story unfolds and our character gets a harsh introduction to the realities of a Cyberpunk world
• Or, start in a dingy hovel, where you're eating kibble and struggling to get by and get to claw our way up the food chain by taking jobs to improve our circumstances

I'd rather we have someone semi-predefined so they don't have to worry about keeping everything determinate on your actions. Everyone should start from the same place and work from there.

If you were to use the Lifepath crom CP2020 and have even a single in-game reference by and NPC that knows/hates you based on that life event it would be sufficient. More would obviously be better, and some things sort of scream out for more then a single in-game reference of course.

Top Bottom