What if I'm new to Cyberpunk World ?

+

What would you do with newcomers, will they be disadvantaged when they haven't play Cyberpunk 2020? I'm one of them. I know that I have about 2 years to get know about everything but I think that I will be missing a lot. What about that?

Read up on Cyberpunk, browse through the forums, maybe try to get your hands on the PnP Cyberpunk games. I would highly recommend DATAFORTRESS 2020 from Wisdom000 for information on Cyberpunk: http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/
Also, very surprisingly Wikipedia actually has a decent article about Cyberpunk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

EDIT: If you haven't seen it, take a look at this. Mike Pondsmith about the cyberpunk world:

Here's a list of Cyberpunk style games, you could try to pick up some of these, as they are easier to get your hands on than the original Cyberpunk PnP games: http://www.cyberpunk.net/forum/en/threads/268-Cyberpunk-Games-LIST-EM-HERE!

Hi and welcome to the forums!

As you said, we're still at least 2 years from release, so there's plenty of time to get familiar with the Cyberpunk setting. Some of our users are already sharing their knowledge in this thread. Check it out, the info there should be a good start!

As for the game, I bet CDPR will consider some introduction to the world, they are already doing it with the teaser trailer and Mike Pondsmith talking about Cyberpunk world

So, I suggest you start reading, watching and visiting this forum, you'll catch up with Cyberpunk in no time :)

Forum veteran
What would you do with newcomers, will they be disadvantaged when they haven't play Cyberpunk 2020?
I doubt that knowledge of the Cyberpunk world will be necessary for the game. That's a high bar to force gamers to clear since there are a lot of people who won't be intimately familiar with the rules when the game releases. As such, it's all but inevitable that everything necessary to enjoying the game will be explained in the game itself.

In a sense, knowing little about the world is a good thing. Better to see the game for what it is than what it isn't, if you ask me.

While you may not know too much about the Cyberpunk 2020 world, you're most likely not new to the Cyberpunk world. Unless you were born yesterday, that is. :cool:

If you want to know about Cyberpunk 2020, you should obviously head on to the Datafortress. If you want to know more about the city Cyberpunk 2077 will be set in, try to get your hands on the Night City sourcebook if you can, although bear in mind, it won't be exactly the same.

Oddly enough, I think the only disadvantage you'll face is the involvement in discussions concerning cyberpunk "terminology" here on the forums. People will address references from CP2020, so it's only natural (especially if you didn't play or know about 2020) to not understand what people are saying most times. Good news: info is indeed free & there's an abundance of it here. People already posted links, so you're set. I've never played CP2020 myself, but there's plenty of time to become familiar with its setting.

Thanks all of you for the answer. For now I think I found A LOT of material to study.

Yeah, I went blind into TW1 and it was mesmerizing.

That's why I ask my question. Hmm I went Witcher series very late (2012 summer) but I wouldn't like to play it unless I read all Witcher books, because I wanted to discover Witcher story by myself like with other series like Harry Potter of Lord of the Rings. Also I wanted to read them from a LONG LONG time so I make a decision to not to play unless I read all books (it was tough). But after I can honestly say that It was worth it, because the world I imagined was slightly different than what CDP made and also the game is some kind of continuation of a story. I don't know how I would receive the game without the books. After all, W2 is still on my "to play" list.

I read a little more about Cyberpunk and I think that I will just start this list:
http://geekspodcast.com/2013/01/16/10-fun-things-to-do-while-you-wait-for-cyberpunk-2077/
and maybe buy old 2020 manual.

I believe in CDP and I think that they will provide a lot of material before the game release.

Thanks for the props mate... much appreciated.

As to the OP, feel free to ask or PM me with any questions you have about the world, we will set you straight mate.

No problem, your site is a great source of information for anyone who wants to know more about Cyberpunk, and I've seen myself using it regularly as well. I wish I knew as much about Cyberpunk as you do. Lol, it seems like you might even know more about Cyberpunk than it's creator (although nothing will beat Mike Pondsmith's voice.)

No problem, your site is a great source of information for anyone who wants to know more about Cyberpunk, and I've seen myself using it regularly as well. I wish I knew as much about Cyberpunk as you do. Lol, it seems like you might even know more about Cyberpunk than it's creator (although nothing will beat Mike Pondsmith's voice.)[/QUOTE

Thanks.... glad its useful to you...

The trick is, never getting married, having kids, or having a successful career to divert your attention from throwing your life away :p

Yep. Someone Bless Wisdom's OCD - it's been really handy for us! Yay disabiltiies!

I see the point about walking in unknowing to the CP2020 world, but there is so much good stuff to explore in the next few years. Writing, images, game concepts, movies, you name it. Even books!

Read Neuromancer. Begin Now.

Thanks.... glad its useful to you...

The trick is, never getting married, having kids, or having a successful career to divert your attention from throwing your life away :p

You should make a career out of Cyberpunk! Did you hear that CDPR? Are you listening? Hire this guy!

I think as much as anything there will be various nods and Easter eggs for the CP2020 veterans, but CDPR will make the game as immersive as it can for all

Top Bottom