Where is that world?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is that world?

When I saw the first 1 minute trailer/gameplay cuts, I was very positive about the game, it was sweet looking. Completely forgot about it; after some time a friend of mine posted a link with a new gameplay. I watched it, and I was disappointed, the same lush world, but with reduced appearance.
Here's a list, maybe someone saw that aswell:
- Model, texture look: Grass is awful, looks like 1 plane for everything. (TW2 had grass variations made as models.)
Bad water, hate the look. (Aard cast on it produced low quality shader wave effect.)
Places look junky: the forest has no appeal at all, swamp looks like rubbish. Only thing that looks nice are faces.
- Effects: When Geralt was tracking blood staints: It really looks like very low quality effect.
Potion effect that makes the corners of the screen refract: Looks more like Geralt has high eye blood pressure from it. Looking at that just makes me dizzy. Signs: Aard wave at the swamp, bad quality. (And sign "rune" when Gerald casts it is really unnecessary.)
Now Combat related things:
- Range weapon: That's a laugh, fires 3 or more bolts, maybe poisonous; better give him a longbow. They praised their new witcher sense, they don't even use it for that (they didn't show it, maybe it's a lie). !_Just use the sense when the flying creature is near and cut it's wings_!. And/or/maybe/whatever add back throwing daggers, no need for multyshot midget crossbow.
Combat looks flawed, animations are there, but it has no appeal, sidesteps are just bad. (Nothing like Batman, like they said.) Combat cinematics. Half of the combat is "that". Is it a game or a movie?
Too much gore, you can't even see the enemy, witcher slices him, strawberry juice covers everything. (Bad quality blood.)
Potion system, rubbish, inventory even has "suggestions" about what potions you need to use. Is it made for dumb people....?
There are so many little and big things that I dislike, where's that nice world from the first trailer, where's that combat, stools that react to aard, windows that break, nice looking moves, and if I'm not mistaken I saw Gerald perform a roll dodging the "beast", well it looks more like they showed it off, and the reality is that everything is average or bad....T_T

Last edited:
Where did you see cinematics in combat? And Batman combat system (named Free flow system) is different from TW Combat System.
TW 2 had a very large pop up on grass. Grass in The Witcher 3 is a lot better than TW 2.
How can you judge shader and texture from a low quality video?

It's still not fully optimised yet, so you can't expect the final game to look like the trailers. Moreover it was on xbox, not on a PC, where it can look waaay better, depending on your rig, of course.

Longbow takes time and hard training to master and Geralt never was a bowman, hence no bows. However, many people dislike the crossbow, just like you.
About the three bolts, they said it was an upgrade, meaning that you probably start with one simple bolt and can buy/craft different more powerful types of bolts (the one used on the Griffin had three bolts and let the monster lose blood in order for Geralt to be able to better track him).

They scratched the VATS system a long time ago (that's what you called witcher sense). In the demo, the witcher senses were sort of like the TW2 medaillon and help him see and hear hints better (blood, footprints, voices...). Hence the cut-the-griffin's-wings isn't really possible, at least without said scratched system.
There's actually need for ranged weapons, according to CDPR, since many monsters'll be easier to fight with it. Take the griffin as an example: without crossbow, you would have to wait for it to fly down and attack you while you have Quen up and then you'd have a short time to attack, after which it'd fly again.

I believe animations aren't fully optimised yet (or weren't at the time of the demo), so we can expect them to look better in the final version of the game.
I haven't played batman, hence I can't say whether it's like that or not. And where did you see cinematics? If you mean the end of the Griffin fight, they had to shorten it and play it on easy due to only short time for their demo, so they probably also ended the fight earlier.

Potion system: you only receive suggestions after having gathered information about the monster, which will then, of course, help you with choosing what potions to use - something not as in-your-head as in TW3 was also done in the previous two Witcher games... if you feel you don't have to follow the suggestions, you can always use different potions...

Last edited:
It's still not fully optimised yet, so you can't expect the final game to look like the trailers. Moreover it was on xbox, not on a PC, where it can look waaay better, depending on your rig, of course.

This.
Sword of Destiny trailer was on PC. E3 Demo was on XBOX ONE. PC is more powerful than next (current?) gen consoles.

The game is still 6 months out so I take everything as the base that will be improved upon. Batman combat would not make sense as Geralt, back flips and cartwheels aren't his style. Try downloading and watching the gameplay from the videos thread it has it in 720 and not streamed through the internet. But your concerns would be valid if the game was shipping in 2 months as opposed to half a year from now. Also they are trying a culling thing with objects in the world so only what is viewed by the camera is loaded fully so hence pop-in probably just needs refining. I have been burned by the hype generated by other games so I know what to watch out for so I remain cautiously optimistic.

Griffin fight - Cinematic. About the grass, how it's better, not just cause you said so. While I stated a fact: witcher 2 has a "mesh" based grass, grass is made as a model, with individual leaves, and a variation, grass flowing from stones, in the forest different variations. etc. Are you sure you haven't mistaken it with vegetation in general? Because I'm talking about only about plane base "grass" from Tw3. And I'm not talking about shader resolution, about how it's drawn. Anyway: Too bad about witcher sense drop off, I saw it as a thing from metal gear solid, when you can slice things, but instead high light an "organ" of the monster, combat goes on but you can attack the glowing "area". Potions: Why people need a suggestion, they can view monster journal and read what potion they need from there. Batman combat: I didn't mean Geralt should flip over shoulders, but the flow of it.

Last part of griffin fight = cinematic (when we play, it's going to take longer due to it being more difficult and slower overall (they had to increase speed for the demo)). First 1/2 to 2/3 of the Griffin's life were normal fighting.
What's the difference between having to open another window to view what to do about special, unique (?) monsters and seeing it in inventory, where you actually use said "what to do" stuff. The way you say it, you'd want us to read which potions, oils etc to use in one window/tab and then change to inventory screen to actually use those things... as shown in the demo, they combined it into one menu. Maybe we'll be have to read about minor/filler monsters (drowned dead, rotfiends etc) in our journal, but it seems to be different for actual monster HUNTING QUESTS. They just simplified it so we don't have to currently switch between journal and inventory.
Can't say anything about grass or stuff, my laptop won't run on high/ultra, so I won't see it in it's full glory anyway ^_^ However, as I said earlier, this isn't the final version, they may still change it or optimise it or make it look different...no idea how making games works ;)
Yeah, I actually looked forward to such a kind of system, too. But again, they didn't drop witcher senses, they dropped the VATS system (I envisioned a slowmotion effect where you'd move your sword to the area you want to hit or the like xD ). Witcher senses are still in the game.

When I heard them talk from the interview, about the beast, that it can blind the witcher, everything goes dark, and it's glowing eyes are seen. If you gathered knowledge about this monster anatomy, Geralt will know, that the beast has nerves on the side of his skull, that they control the blinding ability. By entering the witcher sense "thing", Geralt can cut hose nerves, that leads to no more blinding. Now picture that, and add book like opening journal, without looky looky inventory ad like potion suggestions. That adds alot to preparation and monster study, needles to say it's a core element, not they rubbish potion system - activate when you're there (it's an excuse for the lack of ideas). That's what got me focused on this game, graphics too, and combat. With sense system dropped, potions are out of the question (They went down from TW2). There's only graphics and combat left, certain elements of which I doubt. And some people say about that it's not ready. Key elements, they don't change those, they gonna make new, non generic, advanced potion system? No! Roll in combat isn't back. Same animations, a bit of buttering to make it slide, and that's all, won't be appealing still. It's just a big turn off right now...Ehh...

Last edited:
Activating potions at will likely has more to do with getting caught unawares, not having to stop to take a potion every 10 minutes, and timing out due to cutscenes. The latter specially was really annoying.

Still don´t get why they don´t repeat TW1 system, drink when you want and done.

When I heard them talk from the interview, about the beast, that it can blind the witcher, everything goes dark, and it's glowing eyes are seen. If you gathered knowledge about this monster anatomy, Geralt will know, that the beast has nerves on the side of his skull, that they control the blinding ability. By entering the witcher sense "thing", Geralt can cut hose nerves, that leads to no more blinding. Now picture that, and add book like opening journal, without looky looky inventory ad like potion suggestions. That adds alot to preparation and monster study, needles to say it's a core element, not they rubbish potion system - activate when you're there (it's an excuse for the lack of ideas). That's what got me focused on this game, graphics too, and combat. With sense system dropped, potions are out of the question (They went down from TW2). There's only graphics and combat left, certain elements of which I doubt. And some people say about that it's not ready. Key elements, they don't change those, they gonna make new, non generic, advanced potion system? No! Roll in combat isn't back. Same animations, a bit of buttering to make it slide, and that's all, won't be appealing still. It's just a big turn off right now...Ehh...

The witcher sense mode is still in But VATS is out . Why do you think potions are out of the question when the devs have stated that for specific monsters you won`t be able to defeat them without the use of potions and as far as I know those are only suggestions of the potions after you gain knowledge about the monster or monsters in question . More than likely you can still choose which potions to take but if you get it wrong then be prepared to suffer the consequences . I`m just assuming here but since toxicity is making a comeback you will need to choose wisely about how many potions you consume . About the animations there are at last count I believe 27 different combat animations . According to the latest trailers I saw rolling is still in it`s just that rolling will NOT be the only option anymore .

I agree with you about the complexity of the Witcher sense targeting individual monster parts. its a shame that was removed

I really couldn't make a lot of sense out of your post. Might want to work on your proof reading, punctuation, syntax, etc. So I will just address your complaints about the graphics with a generic three pronged explanation beginning with the most pressing issue, and work my way down from there.

1. The game was 8 months away from releasing, and is about 6 now. Just from what I have heard about the Comic-con footage which is the most up to date footage shown to the public. It is already looking a good deal better.

2. The footage you saw was most likely the highly compressed, and low resolution footage from the Xbone conference. Which is probably on par with low-medium PC settings downgraded further by the quality of the stream.

3. No game will ever be perfect, or live up to the extreme hype surrounding it. Witcher 3 included.

Im not sure if you are serious or you are just troll. This game graphics look amazing so far. Please show me better looking RPG game. Inb4 Skyrim with 50 mods.

To me, this seems almost like an internet troll.

I have other theory, but I will say nothing. For now atleast.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the complexity of the Witcher sense targeting individual monster parts. its a shame that was removed

I don´t know. It sounded really interesting, but also extremely overpowered. If you know a monster (and at least first thing I did in 1 & 2 was getting monster lorebooks) and you logically start by removing its powers and then go for its weak points the poor thing it´s going to be down before it realizes you are there. Granted, it can be compensated, but I fear we could end with something close to the enemies of Dragon Age 2.

Ow, ow, a potato rubbish nitpicker. What you found here, my insignificant fault finding friend - is "many" of mistakes that "many" humans make, when typing or speaking. On serious note: Everyone just pile your excuses; imagine things. Potion system will punish you? Nay, mate. Famous combo - drink swallow + whatever you need. There are 27 animations, but they don't make a good appeal, swamp combat video looks bad with it's 27 animations. Dunno why everyone needs to state, that there are "n" amount of animations every time when they speak. Don't forget how much it's bigger than previous Tw games, and how much bigger than rubbish skyrim. Yeah, and it's a crowning ass achievement of the open arse world genre. Don't care much about Heralt, it's the world that builds feelings, and of course I'll get my doubts when I see fancy trailers, but when they show gameplay - boring rubbish. It's normal to doubt a product you want to buy, if some parts of the content are not that good.
'Course, a troll, everyone who doesn't like something everyone (a herd) else likes is a troll.

Last edited:
Ow, ow, a potato rubbish nitpicker. What you found here, my insignificant fault finding friend - is "many" of mistakes that "many" humans make, when typing or speaking. On serious note: Everyone just pile your excuses; imagine things. Potion system will punish you? Nay, mate. Famous combo - drink swallow + whatever you need. There are 27 animations, but they don't make a good appeal, swamp combat video looks bad with it's 27 animations. Dunno why everyone needs to state, that there are "n" amount of animations every time when they speak. Don't forget how much it's bigger than previous Tw games, and how much bigger than rubbish skyrim. Yeah, and it's a crowning ass achievement of the open arse world genre. Don't care much about Heralt, it's the world that builds feelings, and of course I'll get my doubts when I see fancy trailers, but when they show gameplay - boring rubbish. It's normal to doubt a product you want to buy, if some parts of the content are not that good.
'Course, a troll, everyone who doesn't like something everyone (a herd) else likes is a troll.

You are of course free to express your opinion . But you can also expect rebuttals against your opinion especially if they are not agreed with . So far all you`ve done is come down hard with no evidence to back up what you are trying to say on a game that won`t be released for another 6 months or so .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom