Which fantasy film is the best

+
Oh yes, Enemy Mine is indeed a great movie! ! Another great sci-fi is Starman, not much action but very catching :D

As for "real fanatsy" I would name Dragonheart, Ladyhawkwe, The Last Unicorn (I know it is more a childrens movie, but it has its own beauty and charme even if youre close to 40) and on top LOTR-Trilogy.On "historic fantasy", I would name the new Beowulf - it takes some time to get used to it, but it has some strong sides.And lastly, on "almost fantasy" I would top recomend "La Antena", allthough it wouldn't be a movie for every one. It was made (finished) 2007 in Argentina, but it is a black & white silent movie, and it makes really sense to be a silent movie: It is set into a city in a fictional 1920s to 1940s world, where the evil TV-Station owner has stolen the poelple voices, so the city is aptly called "ciudad sin voz" (city without voice). All citizens have lost there voices - expet two, a singer and her eyeless child. The story evolves around her attempt to give her son eyes and the family of a TV repairmen. Don't get it wrong - the movie does use modern TV-technology like cgi and so on, so technically, it can stand next to big budget productions from europe or Hollywood, but still has the certain appeal and charm the silent movies from the twenties had, i.e. Metropolis, but with a modern twist (i.e. the text inserts implanted into the pictures and interacting with the actors). It hasn't be shown in movie theatres here in europe besides some film festivals, but was released as DVD - if you plan to get it, look out for the edition with the deleted scenes - it is a shame that they weren't included in the movie. For a classical movie with some fantasy appeal, I would suggest Akira Kurosawa "Throne of Blood" (english title, I belive, original is "Kumunoso Jo", german "Das Schloss im Spinnwebwald"), it is a samurai-movie based on "McBeth". For modern asian cinema in that genre, I woul name the first "Chinese Ghost Story".As there were SF-movies mentioned also, I have to admit, as a Hard-SF-Fan, I seperate them strictly from fantasy, but to name a good few, it would be "Dark City", "2001", "A Clockwork Orange", "Solaris" (okay, both versions), "Sky Captain And The World Of Tommorrow", "Enemy Mine" and "Forbidden Planet".

Ladyhawk, Willow, Krull, The Princess Bride, Big Trouble in Little China... if I tried I could probably find lots more. I love Star Wars (4-6) but I don't consider it fantasy or true science fiction... space opera I guess lol. Firefly and Serenity fit that category too. I did love the tv show Buffy, not the movie though, and a nice little show called Forever Knight.

EarthseaRed SonjaDungeons and DragonsMerlinEragonThis are the movies that stand on nr. 2The number one can not be mentioned ;)

i love Harry-potter series...eragon , hitman , transporter series..., 300 ,Iron Man, Meet Dave, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN series , MAX.Payne., Inside man , NATIONAL TREASURE series, 21 (that's a good movie).. , GHOST RIDER , Hancock , Zathura , V for Vendetta , Next Avengers-Heroes.Of.Tomorrow i think that.. those movies are 17 of my top movies i ever seen... :p

Without a doubt Merlin, the one with Sam Neil. It was a feature length made-for-TV two parter on Channel 4 in the UK in the 90s, though it has some huge hollywood names (Martin Short & Helena Bonham Carter in their finest roles in my opinion)It's by far my favourite version of the King Arthur legend, and is more of a Low Fantasy (ie The Witcher) story, with Merlin being a second-rate 'failed' wizard.Highly recommended ;D

Ohhh I've seen that version of Merlin, its excellent! The Mists of Avalon is another really great fantasy made for TV series...

You mean the one taht shows Merlin growing up, Xellotath? And learning under Morgaine (or was it Morgana)?If yes, then definetly, that is such an good movie!I love Morgaine's servant, the main teacher of Merlin, and Merlins costume! The one with all the feathers :DThat was a really good movie :beer:

TheSilver said:
You mean the one taht shows Merlin growing up, Xellotath? And learning under Morgaine (or was it Morgana)?If yes, then definetly, that is such an good movie!I love Morgaine's servant, the main teacher of Merlin, and Merlins costume! The one with all the feathers :DThat was a really good movie :beer:
Queen Mab! Played by Miranda Richarson. Her servent was Frick (Martin Short), my favourite character.Mab is actually an old Pagan Queen, another major theme in the film which is the rising of Christianity and the suppresion of 'the old ways' or pagan religions.Just avoid the sequel, Merlin's Apprentice, yes Sam Neil is in it but no it's not a shadow of the original.

Nothing was ever the same after LotR came out... It's a work of art, And it definately takes the cake for me. It's got everything.Another fine one, As you might guess from my avatar, Is Beowulf. That film has so much too it, And is totally underrated.Other honourable mentions are Legend, The Labyrinth & The Princess Bride. Some of the movies mentioned here like Dragonheart and the 13th Warrior are great, Fun movies, But I would never call them the best.If we pan into Sci-fi and Historical Fantasy like some of you did, You've got the Star Wars saga, Serenity, King Arthur, Chronicals of Riddick, Titan A.E. and while I haven't seen Blade Runner in ages, I recall it very fondly...

LordOfTheAxe said:
Nothing was ever the same after LotR came out... It's a work of art, And it definately takes the cake for me. It's got everything.
As great as the films are, i always remember how annoyed i was after first watching them due to the amount of cut content lol.Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow :peace:

Agreed. But I was referring to it as a film, Not as a book adaptation. It's just an epic, candid piece of cinema. I love it.

You're right, the Rohan theme gets my blood pumping just listening to it.The charge of the Rohirrim, one of the best scenes in a movie ;DI'm just waiting for them to get round to releasing the damn things on blu-ray, extended edition please!

My favorite fantasy films...hmmm...I've always been more engaged with cyberpunk and sci-fi...As for fantasy...does Eraserhead count? I also like Legend, Labyrinth, Nausicaa, Wizards, etc., I can't think of anything else. I think I've played more fantasy games than watched fantasy films.

Top Bottom