Why "Ciri Witcher" is not a good ending in my view (spoilers)

+
That is some real twisted logic there.

I don't see how my logic is "twisted." I'm simply stating facts. At any rate, the Reddit thread which I linked earlier offers a more substantive defense of the empress ending. I'll cut and paste one of the more salient observations here:

In order for Ciri to NOT become the empress of Nilfgaard, one of two things has to happen: either Nilfgaard loses the war and Ciri never has the opportunity to become empress, or Geralt never takes Ciri to meet Emhyr. If neither occurs, she chooses to leave Geralt and go to Nilfgaard.

The issue of personal choice is at the heart of Ciri's story. Everyone around her, from the Wild Hunt to many of her companions, want to use, control, or manipulate her in some way because of her powers. Geralt's relationship with her is special precisely because he loves her unconditionally for who she is and does not force her to do anything. I say that if one follows the game the way it's presented, the moral thing to do is to let Ciri make her own choices.

For Ciri to make her own choices, we must first make as many choices available to her as possible. If Nilgaard loses the war, Emhyr is overthrown, and Ciri never has a chance to succeed him. Therefore, she never has the choice to become empress. If Geralt never takes Ciri to meet Emhyr, he's also depriving her of a choice to accept or reject her father.

It is also critical that she is making the choice of her own free will, which I believe she is in the Empress ending. It is not implied, as far as I can tell, that she is being forced or manipulated into this. In fact, she does not tell Geralt of her decision until the day the Nilfgaardians arrive to receive her. When questioned, she claims that she simply wanted to make the most of their time together. However, though her cheeks are tear-stained from having to say goodbye to Geralt, she also reveals that she is genuinely afraid he will stop her from going to Nilfgaard and force her to go with him instead, to which he quickly replies that he'd never force her to do anything.

So if we present Ciri with all the possible choices, as well as the free will to choose, she chooses to become empress. Notably, there is no ending in which she rejects becoming empress to stay with Geralt and become a Witcher instead.

Where is there any proof of that last sentence?

Ciri's dialogue in the closing moments of the game. Before she bids farewell to Geralt, she tells him, "In Vizima, my father and I spoke ... for long. Argued, really, and parted. Then a messenger came with a letter. I didn't say anything at first because I wasn't sure, and then ... I realized I had to stop fleeing. Realized that if I wish to change anything, I cannot do so hunting monsters round forgotten villages. I must do so from there, from Nilfgaard."

You're obviously free to interpret those words however you wish, but it's clear that Ciri reflects thoroughly on the situation, without Geralt's help, and comes to her own conclusions.

@Paprikamann

I think we're splitting hairs here, but what the heck, that's what most forum posts are anyways.

The fact remains that in Geralt's conversation with Ciri there are the following options:
a) Encourage Ciri to meet the emperor (she becomes empress)
b) Discourage Ciri from meeting the emperor (she does not become empress)
c) Tell Ciri that she needs to make her own decision, in which case she then forces you to weigh in with your opinion.

In either case, she solicits Geralt's advice, and you have no option but to respond.

From where I sit, the game is all about making as many choices available to Ciri as possible, and then letting her choose her own path.

As far as Ciri "wanting to be a Witcher," I think it's rather telling that (to parrot the reddit thread on this topic) there is no ending in which she rejects becoming empress to stay with Geralt and become a Witcher instead.

Last edited:
@Paprikamann

I think we're splitting hairs here, but what the heck, that's what most forum posts are anyways.

The fact remains that in Geralt's conversation with Ciri there are the following options:
c) Tell Ciri that she needs to make her own decision, in which case she then forces you to weigh in with your opinion.

In either case, she solicits Geralt's advice, and you have no option but to respond.

From where I sit, the game is all about making as many choices available to Ciri as possible, and then letting her choose her own path.

As far as Ciri "wanting to be a Witcher," I think it's rather telling that (to parrot the reddit thread on this topic) there is no ending in which she rejects becoming empress to stay with Geralt and become a Witcher instead.

Exactly. And when it comes to telling your own opinion I think it would be wrong from Geralt's perspective to speak in a positive way of Emhyr.

But as you stated correctly. There will be always people agreeing either with me or with you. I actually think both interpretations are reasonable and it only depends on your own mind and opinion.

I don't like the way CDP handled this situation. It's bad that the empress ending only depends whether you bring Ciri to Emhyr or not (assuming Nilfgaard wins and the game actually really pushes you to that conclusion). There should be more other decisions influencing this ending (and the other ones, too).
Plus, you don't know what the letter was about. It is likely Emhyr made her somehow guilty or whatever. Both in the books and in the games Ciri never(!) showed that she was that idealistic to give up her personal freedom (after achieving it short way before) to become empress and (again) savior of everyone and everything.

It's ludicrous how you claim Geralt "never took her to see her father". This is twisted logic.

1) She doesn't want to see him. Only with prodding from Geralt does she agree to see him.
2) She wanted to go straight to the mountain. Geralt stopped what she WANTED to do.
3) She can teleport and could have gone to see the Emhyr anytime if she wanted to which further shows she really doesn't want to see him at all.

It is a a lie that Geralt prevents her from seeing her father. How many conversations were there where she said she wants NOTHING to do with him. I even have to laugh at your proof "I realized I had to stop fleeing. Realized that if I wish to change anything, I cannot do so hunting monsters round forgotten villages." Really? That clearly goes to show that she didn't want to do this. She wanted to hunt monsters. Other people convinced her otherwise.

It is so clear a blind man can see that she doesn't want to become empress but instead felt obliged and obligated to do so.

Finally, those three options ONLY happen if Geralt already made a decision not to honor her wish to go directly to the mountain. It is a complete fallacy to use those options because you already influenced the outcome. In fact the REAL choice is:

1) Geralt honors what Ciri wants to do and goes to the mountain.
2) Geralt influences Ciri by saying the mountain can wait because her dad wants to see her.

Only after choice #2 does the other options appear.

So if CIri got to choose she'd becomes a witcher. Only if Geralt interferes with her wishes is there the further option for Geralt to become even more involved in the decision. These are the facts.

Last edited:
If CDPR make a 4th game they would consider this ending canon, I just got a feeling.

Not sure what ending you are referring to but it wouldn't be Ciri taking over Nilfgaard. One simple reason why. The north will win in a canon ending. Either Radovid or Djikstra defeat Emhyr. Let's face it the only way Emhyr wins is if you kill Radovid and then side with Roche. That is not canon material.

Not sure what ending you are referring to but it wouldn't be Ciri taking over Nilfgaard. One simple reason why. The north will win in a canon ending. Either Radovid or Djikstra defeat Emhyr. Let's face it the only way Emhyr wins is if you kill Radovid and then side with Roche. That is not canon material.

The Cirilla witcheress one, the thread is titled about.

In my opinion, Ciri becoming a witcheress was one of the best endings for her. Look at her as a child...she isn't training because she's being FORCED to train, she's training because she has a passion for it. She gets excited about it. She idolises the witchers, she memorises the things things they tell her (she quotes Vesimir) and at one point she tells Gretka (ink that was her name) the formula for a lycanthrope oil which she had learned from Vesimir.

She clearly studied and paid attention, she has taken in all the lessons they taught her (enough to even carry out investigations on bodies apparently and what monsters leave what clues), she clearly had a taste for mystery and adventure, for the travelling and the unpredictability of it.

A big clue to me is no matter how many times she is asked to step back and let the others fight her battle, SHE wants to be part of it, it calls to her. This isn't just her not wanting to see other's fight her battles for her, this is her wanting to embrace what she feels is her destiny.

Perhaps it's different in the books, I don't know, haven't read them (yet, would love to but affordability is the issue and my library doesn't offer much in any genre). But in this game, To me, it seemed like Ciri hadn't just "accepted" her fate as a witcheress, it seemed she was embracing it. She'd already gone and looked for a contract in Geralt's absence, she seemed eager and happy even though he wage would be meagre, even when he gave her the sword, she couldn't wait to try it out like a child with a new toy.

I keep thinking of the emperors portrait of Ciri on his wall in the office. She's a child in a dress. Look at the face on that kid. MISERABLE. SULLEN. She doesn't want to wear pretty dresses and rule. I dont think that life remotely appealed to her.

I'll probably be griped at or flamed at for this opinion. Whenever I give my opinions on a game I tend to get flamed by "those far more superior because they know far more than I so because they're more hardcore gamers than I, memorising every minute detail meaning their opinion counts more than mine", lol.

Anyway, just my thoughts. It was how I interpreted my happy ending of Ciri as a Witcher.

Not a good ending? LOL,you clearly don't know Ciri.Goodmongo and others have good points.
In entire game she wanted to be with Geralt,and have simple life.Ciri as the empress? xD.I can't see her doing politics,i can imagine how she hates everyone in castle,and her father,Ciri in elegant clothes etc.This is not for her.Even from books you can say that.

I have to agree with the others. Ciri becoming a Wticher is the best ending for me.
All throughout the game, she implies that she detests her father.
During the opening sequence, she does not look forced in training with the Witchers --- but the opposite. She enjoys being there at Kaer Moren.
Regarding the mutagens and potions that Witchers use --> she doesn't need it. Her elder blood capabilities more than make up for that.

I'm really happy I got the Ciri - Wticher ending. Seeing her with Geralt at the inn and receiving the blade is really a touching moment. Geralt looked like a proud father.

I would really hate to think of Ciri being the empress, bored at the castle, forced to deal with politics. She's a Wticher, bound to travel the world, and other worlds! :D

I prefer Ciri becoming a witcher too...

But, she becoming empress seems the end without many influence from Geralt, since you have to make choices that gives her more freedom to act...

So, I think that in the deep of her heart she wants to really become empress of Nilfgaard since Geralt not influenced her so much...

Yes, there is this minor tension between Geralt telling Emhyr that Ciri was dead, and Ciri becoming famous. Keep in mind that it is when Nilfgaard wins, Emhyr is alive, and Ciri is now hunting monsters on Nilfgaardian territory. It wouldn't take much effort to track her.

About what is better for her personally. Well, in RL from time to time it seems better just to ditch it all - career, college, family, whatever - and be free. Some people actually do it because they prefer to live without any obligations - work when they feel like it, for example. Or just lucky enough to be independently wealthy.
But, as Ciri remarked, you don't really do too much good if you are just hunting monsters around forgotten villages. Ruling the Empire that now covers the entire western part of the continent is a crap-load of responsibilities, that include family, producing heirs, ets. No much freedom there, but as a good ruler Ciri may be able to curb racism and prejudices, and eventually to bring peace and prosperity of a new Golden Age, Sure, there will be resistance to her plans, and it would require a lot of work, but she won't be able to do even a fraction of it as a witcher. Even concerning monster-hunting as an empress she can do much more than just a simple witcher - to create a specialized service, for example, which will be much more efficient that a single girl on a path.

If Ciri embraces throne then Phillipa gets to be by her side, an absurd and hideous possibility we come to learn about in the "Sunstone" quest...
After being plouged from all directions in the second game this bummer was out of no where...we help defend Ciri all the way only to leave her in the hands of Phillipa? she even tells Geralt to face that she would have Yennefer imprisoned and walks away with that? How's this practical to the least? Emhyr has to be a mad man as well to have that wench by his side over Yennefer who along with Geralt tried everything they could to save Ciri?

I don't see how my logic is "twisted." I'm simply stating facts. At any rate, the Reddit thread which I linked earlier offers a more substantive defense of the empress ending. I'll cut and paste one of the more salient observations here:

Ciri's dialogue in the closing moments of the game. Before she bids farewell to Geralt, she tells him, "In Vizima, my father and I spoke ... for long. Argued, really, and parted. Then a messenger came with a letter. I didn't say anything at first because I wasn't sure, and then ... I realized I had to stop fleeing. Realized that if I wish to change anything, I cannot do so hunting monsters round forgotten villages. I must do so from there, from Nilfgaard."

You're obviously free to interpret those words however you wish, but it's clear that Ciri reflects thoroughly on the situation, without Geralt's help, and comes to her own conclusions.

@Paprikamann

As you said, you can interpret Ciri's word in any way, what I, ME and maybe only MYSELF thought when she said "You are not gonna take me to the BLue Mountains by force" was not to be take literally. I think that's what she actually wanted, deep inside, she just felt the obligation to become empress, but it was NOT what she wanted.

Ciri would have chosen Geralt because she wants to help, not to be with her father. So Emhyr losing the war is the best ending to me, because I also do not support authoritarian rules and we all know sooner or later Radovid would be overthroned or assassinated should he continue to be such a son of a bitc...

---------- Post merged on 28-08-2015 at 12:02 AM ----------

Yes, there is this minor tension between Geralt telling Emhyr that Ciri was dead, and Ciri becoming famous. Keep in mind that it is when Nilfgaard wins, Emhyr is alive, and Ciri is now hunting monsters on Nilfgaardian territory. It wouldn't take much effort to track her.

About what is better for her personally. Well, in RL from time to time it seems better just to ditch it all - career, college, family, whatever - and be free. Some people actually do it because they prefer to live without any obligations - work when they feel like it, for example. Or just lucky enough to be independently wealthy.
But, as Ciri remarked, you don't really do too much good if you are just hunting monsters around forgotten villages. Ruling the Empire that now covers the entire western part of the continent is a crap-load of responsibilities, that include family, producing heirs, ets. No much freedom there, but as a good ruler Ciri may be able to curb racism and prejudices, and eventually to bring peace and prosperity of a new Golden Age, Sure, there will be resistance to her plans, and it would require a lot of work, but she won't be able to do even a fraction of it as a witcher. Even concerning monster-hunting as an empress she can do much more than just a simple witcher - to create a specialized service, for example, which will be much more efficient that a single girl on a path.

Your point of view is very positive and I do like it, it made that ending feel a lot better. But don't forget about Phillipa and her obsession with power, what she said while looking for the sunstone. That kind of goes against you.

Anyway, speaking about golden ages and such, in RL I, personally dont give a crap about the greater good or whatever, I would always try my best, but my friends and family come first. I saved Saskia in witcher 2, look where that got me... Nilfgaard conquered that too. I am a dick, I know. But I care about Ciri's happiness, not her duties, and it is obvious how happy she is in one ending and the other.

So there is no good or bad ending, only ending that can be good or bad depending on our personal point of view and priorities. My priority is Ciri's happiness in the game so for me, Ciri becoming a witcheress was the best ending.

My priority is Ciri's happiness in the game so for me, Ciri becoming a witcheress was the best ending.
Well, thats what I actually mentioned in the very beginning of the discussion. Becoming a witcher seems to be a happy-end, but it is but a short-lived happiness.

We have Emhyr on the one hand, who (if alive) will keep hunting Ciri. Also Emhyr no doubt will severely punish Geralt for lieing to him about Ciri's death. Will the life on the run with her friends in danger make Ciri happy?

Even if Emhyr is dead we have a problem of Ciri being the only rightful heir to the throne. Will the people in Nilfgaard claiming the throne rest easy with her being alive and possible future threat for their rule? No, it is much more efficient to have her dead and any threat removed permanently. Life on a run again. Happy?

The ending of the game just concentrates on the closest outcome of our decisions. Should we look a bit more far - not any of the endings seem flawless in terms of "lived happily ever after". But to me Emperess final seems like a better way for Ciri to stay alive in long-term, and possibly happy, also it is not for sure. Witcher final is a sure way of happy but very short life, unfortunately.

If Ciri embraces throne then Phillipa gets to be by her side, an absurd and hideous possibility we come to learn about in the "Sunstone" quest...

It could still be Yennefer instead, which would make more sense, and she is already the emperor's advisor in the game. At least if she does not settle down with Geralt somewhere away from the world, why not keep that role and help Ciri ?

Well, thats what I actually mentioned in the very beginning of the discussion. Becoming a witcher seems to be a happy-end, but it is but a short-lived happiness.

We have Emhyr on the one hand, who (if alive) will keep hunting Ciri. Also Emhyr no doubt will severely punish Geralt for lieing to him about Ciri's death. Will the life on the run with her friends in danger make Ciri happy?

Even if Emhyr is dead we have a problem of Ciri being the only rightful heir to the throne. Will the people in Nilfgaard claiming the throne rest easy with her being alive and possible future threat for their rule? No, it is much more efficient to have her dead and any threat removed permanently. Life on a run again. Happy?

The ending of the game just concentrates on the closest outcome of our decisions. Should we look a bit more far - not any of the endings seem flawless in terms of "lived happily ever after". But to me Emperess final seems like a better way for Ciri to stay alive in long-term, and possibly happy, also it is not for sure. Witcher final is a sure way of happy but very short life, unfortunately.

That about Emhyr hunting Ciri depends on your political choices in the game (Redania can win or loose the war). Now if Radovid wins, Emhyr is overthroned and the new order for Nilfgaard could even become a democracy, there's something about that in the books as well. But no matter the new order that will take the reigns in Nilfgaard, NO ONE, apart from Emhyr, Yen and Geralt knows Ciri is Emhyrs heir to the throne, not even Ciri knows, you decide if Geralt tells her or not. So no one would have a reason for killing her.

Yes, I remmember Emhyr's chamberlain saying he knows about it, but I think that is just another tiny inconcistency. (Emhyr in the past had tried to marry Ciri and perform incest, gross I know, and all the continent knew that Emhyr planed to marry Cirilla the lion cub of Cintra, so for that reason no one could know Ciri was his daughter or I would have been a scandal. So, what I was trying to say is that nobody is going to look for Ciri if Emhyr is defeated because nobody knows Emhyr is Duny and that he was ones married to Paveta ( princess of Cintra and mother to Ciri).

What I do agree with you however is that there is yet another inconcistency at the ending: if you choose to kill Radovid and Ciri becomes a witcheress then it would be pretty easy for Emhyr to find her. That is totally true

---------- Updated at 10:06 PM ----------

That about Emhyr hunting Ciri depends on your political choices in the game (Redania can win or loose the war). Now if Radovid wins, Emhyr is overthroned and the new order for Nilfgaard could even become a democracy, there's something about that in the books as well. But no matter the new order that will take the reigns in Nilfgaard, NO ONE, apart from Emhyr, Yen and Geralt knows Ciri is Emhyrs heir to the throne, not even Ciri knows, you decide if Geralt tells her or not. So no one would have a reason for killing her.

Yes, I remmember Emhyr's chamberlain saying he knows about it, but I think that is just another tiny inconcistency. (Emhyr in the past had tried to marry Ciri and perform incest, gross I know, and all the continent knew that Emhyr planed to marry Cirilla the lion cub of Cintra, so for that reason no one could know Ciri was his daughter or I would have been a scandal. So, what I was trying to say is that nobody is going to look for Ciri if Emhyr is defeated because nobody knows Emhyr is Duny and that he was ones married to Paveta ( princess of Cintra and mother to Ciri).

What I do agree with you however is that there is yet another inconcistency at the ending: if you choose to kill Radovid and Ciri becomes a witcheress then it would be pretty easy for Emhyr to find her. That is totally true

---------- Updated at 10:07 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 10:10 PM ----------

Sorry about repeting the post, the page just bugged and when I refreshed my reply had multiplied! Sorry!

---------- Updated at 11:58 PM ----------

Last but not least, if Emhyr wins the war he doesn't need Ciri anymore because the opposition in Nilgaard couldn't possibly hope to overthrone him after the glory he brought back from the war. I just can't drop the subject haha

After being plouged from all directions in the second game this bummer was out of no where...we help defend Ciri all the way only to leave her in the hands of Phillipa? she even tells Geralt to face that she would have Yennefer imprisoned and walks away with that? How's this practical to the least? Emhyr has to be a mad man as well to have that wench by his side over Yennefer who along with Geralt tried everything they could to save Ciri?

Ciri is too strong to be influenced by Phillipa. If you choose Triss, then Yennefer will be by Ciri's side and Phillipa's plans will fail. Phillipa is over confident, which is why she has no eyes.

Why should he search for her? You already said that he actually won't need her if he wins the war.
Plus, you all seem to think that Emhyr believes Geralt mentioning Ciri is dead. Emhyr is not stupid. I think he knows Geralt lied, but he accepts that Ciri doesn't want to see him. He already said that he's not going to force her to do anything.

So, even if he found out about a witcheress, I doubt he would really search for her. He can't force her to do anything at all.

@Cromanin

Ciri may not be a Witcher, may not be a Sorceress, but has training in both schools along with powers no Witcher or Sorceress have, making her an extremely unique individual - As for wounds she can be treated with magic just like anyone else, and many Witcher elixir's are used to avoid pain and stop bleeds, they're not cure all remedies - Geralt consistently needs the help of magic users whenever he gets hurt, Witcher potions are not the best medicament's.

You ensured Emhyr's conquest of the North? - Why would you not let the North win if you wanted to keep Ciri from her, she doesn't want anything to do with him, Ciri wants to be with you, and to be a Witcher, so ensuring her safety means that leaving Emhyr's war between Radovid and Emhyr, and not being an assistant regicide is the right path to ensure that Ciri doesn't get hunted down by Emhyr, your Geralt caused it.

She didn't want to be Princess of Cintra, she definitely doesn't want to be the Empress of the empire that caused the death of her Grandmother and Eist, the fall of Cintra and thousands of deaths across the North, let Ciri pursue the life she wanted to lead since her and Geralt met.

Top Bottom