Why do many fans believe this game (in comparable aspects) will be inferior to GTA?

+
Yea I like having some sandbox elements because it makes the immersion that much deeper.
From what we've heard as you wander around Night City you'll run across NPCs doing things (talking, fighting, commiting crimes, being drugged out/drunk, hell we saw one shooting in the air for no particular reason) and others that will have jobs (quests) for you if you speak to them. Not sure what more you'd need to qualify as "sandbox".

But, in spite of all that CP2077 and GTA are two entirely different games with two entirely different focuses.

Last edited:
Anyway, whether it's there or not, most of that stuff doesn't matter to me in CP or pretty much any game. The person I responded to said, 'outside of quests nothing interesting happened'. But the quests are what happens. Those are the interesting bits. What happens in GTA for example, when you're not doing missions? Random chaos that you instigate yourself? That's all well and good but I stopped caring about that after Vice City. But that's just me.

I personally almost never do missiongiver "missions" in GTAonline, as that makes me change the server. I find a server with low populace and then just stay there. Sometimes I might do heists with my friends but we plan that out of game.

I do stuff for my own businesses. Mostly deliveries. Drugs, weapons, counterfeit cash, stolen goods. Promote my nightclub, steal cars and resell them, etc. There are some hightech hacking and robbery missions involving the terrorbyte which are fun, but not productive enough so I dont do them much..

Generally by the time Im done with all of that, the next batch of illegal substances and products is waiting for delivery already, so as far as money is concerned, there is more stuff to do than I have time to do. But when I feel like taking a break, I can do some of the minigames for immersions sake. I am particularly fond of the (quite well-made) golf minigame. I dress up appropriately and play 9 or 18 holes of golf. I just think that golf is something a crime boss would do. :) Other players could join me, but for some reason they never do..

ps. For the record, I havent played GTA in a long while. Im playing RDR online, conan exiles with my friends, or overwatch these days..

I vote for coining a new classification of genre, specifically for cyberpunk and all games like it.
We are too hung up on the labels of games. I'd be happy if it could just be called RPG.

Any suggestions?

I think all of those tiny things like allowing signposts or benches to be hacked up are not important, but all of those details together really help create a more immersive experience. For example, I didn't play Half-Life Alyx, but I saw some gameplay clips. There are so many utterly meaningless assets in that game that they made dynamic and affected by physics. Are these important to the actual story? No. But I think people really like that game because it feels like the environment is more real than if the everything were just static. In any environment, I think sandbox elements like this are better than not having them, whether it be open world or linear like HL Alyx, but that's just my opinion.

I get what you mean. I thought Alyx was fantastic. My GotY so far.

I think the recent interview which talked about extensive destruction physics means we'll both be happy in this regard :)
Post automatically merged:

I personally almost never do missiongiver "missions" in GTAonline, as that makes me change the server. I find a server with low populace and then just stay there. Sometimes I might do heists with my friends but we plan that out of game.

Sounds fun.

I can't comment on GTAOnline since I'm a single-player only kind of guy but I know its been incredibly popular. Now you've got me wondering if the OP gets most criticism from fans of the online portion of the game? That along with the strong probability of hardcore and vocal GTA/R* fans probably hating the idea that any game could compare favourably. There's always some, aren't there?
Post automatically merged:

I vote for coining a new classification of genre, specifically for cyberpunk and all games like it.
We are too hung up on the labels of games. I'd be happy if it could just be called RPG.

Uh-oh, I don't think you understand the kind of maelstrom of debate you could start up with that innocent sounding question ;) Or was that tongue in cheek?

Last edited:
I don't think you understand the kind of maelstrom of debate you could start up with that innocent sounding question ;) Or was that tongue in cheek?

It was not tongue in cheek.
I surely do not want to start a maelstrom lol.

Old labels cant remain in place if things continue to advance/change.

Old labels cant remain in place if things continue to advance/change.

Oh I agree. The way games combine genres and mechanics means it's sometimes difficult to categorise games to everyone's satisfaction.

It's just that, in the words of Elrond, "I was there Gandalf, all those years ago.....I was there when the 'what is a rpg?' debate began". ;)

"I was there Gandalf, all those years ago.....I was there when the 'what is a rpg?' debate began". ;)

I wasn't there but... the screams of the battle... the sound of the machine guns... and the shockwaves of the cannons reached all the way to where I stood and... I've never been the same since :oops: I still flinch at the sight of the RPG Codex logo, maaan!

0dd.jpg

NOT TRYING TO FAN THE FLAMES!

But the primary factor that makes a game an RPG is character agency.

Branching dialog, quests, and all that stuff is just game mechanics applicable to almost any genre.

Personally I'm overjoyed CDPR pulled back from the earlier indications that CP2077 was going to be an FPS and made character skills central to the combat mechanics.

NOT TRYING TO FAN THE FLAMES!

But the primary factor that makes a game an RPG is character agency.

Yep. Effective agency. Not only should your character choices/skills have an effect, it should have an effect relative to the compromises made to create that character.

Rounded off with player input, for a more...organic feel.

High Speech skill lets you say the right thing to accomplish your goals. Player chooses what -kind- of right thing (funny, scary, clever, sexy, etc) they want the player to see.

GTA does not have this. Cyberpunk has this, at least chunks of it. A lot more than GTA that's for sure!

Yep. Effective agency. Not only should your character choices/skills have an effect, it should have an effect relative to the compromises made to create that character.

Rounded off with player input, for a more...organic feel.

High Speech skill lets you say the right thing to accomplish your goals. Player chooses what -kind- of right thing (funny, scary, clever, sexy, etc) they want the player to see and the NPC to react to.

GTA does not have this. Cyberpunk has this, at least chunks of it. A lot more than GTA that's for sure!
100% :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
High Speech skill lets you say the right thing to accomplish your goals. Player chooses what -kind- of right thing (funny, scary, clever, sexy, etc) they want the player to see.

Wait what? I was under impression that CP2077 has no speech skill or similar skill/perk to help you in dialog? It is your dialog options that matter, and those dialog options are available depending on other skills/stats/background/previous choices.

This approach makes perfect sense, since it would make little sense to force player to invest in an otherwise superfluous skill just to experience CP2077 fully.

Wait what? I was under impression that CP2077 has no speech skill or similar skill/perk to help you in dialog? It is your dialog options that matter, and those dialog options are available depending on other skills/stats/background/previous choices.
CP2077 apparently has no "persuasion" or similar skill.
BUT, it's been said that your Lifepath and rating in various attributes (Strength, Intelligence, etc.) will on occasion provide you with dialog or action options that wouldn't otherwise be available. So the net effect is pretty much the same as having a having a "persuasion" skill without the need/use of such a skill.

As far as the game being "inferior" or "superior" to anything else? This is pretty much a moot point right now. Why? Because the game hasn't even been released as of yet. Now, from the perspective of WHAT we know so far,comparing the two games is kind of an "apples and oranges" arguement. From what I gather, CDPR is attempting to create an RPG experience (Based off of a pnp,no less...no easy feat I imagine.) with elements of a FPS. In my personal opinion, I think the argument of "What game is better." is largely going to depend on what you are looking for.

We have to see yet. So far what was showcased was indeed informative. But mainly for FPS fans. I would love to see more in depth Roleplay mechanics showcased in detail.

I think the reason you will get downvoted for it on the reddit is because the comments are often used as a derogatory comparison for Cyberpunk, like that one comment Gibson made when 2018 trailer was launched and or any Youtube comment on cyberpunk gameplay reveal videos. Often time people feel like it's oversimplifying things that Cyberpunk is trying to do.

Also comparing anything to a Rockstar title will always be met with high scepticism because everything they do is polished to an unbelievable degree. Specially their open world sandbox. Used to be a big Rockstar game's fan but for all the other aspects i dislike in their game, open world design isn't one of them.

So it will be a tall order for Cyberpunk to come near the quality of Rockstar's open world and how aliveTM and immersiveTM they feel. We'll see though. I don't think comparing those games in some aspects is bad, as long as people know that both companies prioritize different aspects in their game i.e. It will never be a fair 1:1 comparison.
In my honest opinion, I disagree about rockstar games being very well polished. I always get that very "AAA" commercial corporate feeling about those games, and I as much as I enjoyed some parts of the gameplay from GTA, I always felt like numerous things were missing, or done in a way that I didn't like. I honestly can not say that I believe, because It would not be enough for me to just say that I believe, but I strangely feel that deep inside I KNOW that Cyberpunk2077 will drastically surpass any GTA title I have ever experience, or will ever experience in my life. Just the level of pure love and passion put into Cyberpunk2077 from only what we have been able to see so far as of 19th August 2020, is an indicator of that to me.

GTA V is not a sandbox game. What are you talking about here people? It is an action and story-driven game with a linear story. I think you are confusing two different things. Multiplayer and sandbox is not the same thing.

They just added more side activities, which is always fun.

Rockstar Games makes action linear adventure story games, not RPGs or sandboxes. Also, they turned into a profitable multiplayer mode that stopped them from making single-player games. Maybe one in 10 years now. It's because of the multiplayer that generates millions of dollars for them. No need. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom