Why so much faith was put into Cyberpunk 2077 by gamers?

+
I did not have FAITH in CDPR. I had HOPE it would turn out great. These are two very different things. I should've known better. This world is a pile of steaming garbage.
What scares me most for the future is the amount of Devs glorifying the game as a masterpiece. In every single occasion (interview, live stream, you name it) they talk about it like it's the best game ever made. Don't get me wrong, they have all the right to be proud of their work (I don't want to start a discussion about how much I disagree with them), but that excitement together with the (in)famous "the game got 9 and 10 on pc, the only problem is PS4 performances" really make me thing that whatever they'll do in the future they'll use cyberpunk as a standard to aim at in terms of polishing and design. And that really makes me think I'll never enjoy a game from CDPR again. All my hopes turned into preoccupation.

Half of it was People being Overly Hyped and the other Half was CDPR Making WAYY too many promises then they could ever hoped to hold up too.
Plus it's CDPR, they had a long standing and lasting relationship with their customers for so long, they Continuously Promised left and right that the game will be out when it's ready, that Quality was their first priority, that above everything else they wanted to release the game of their "Dreams". and to back all that up, they had their Dev make promise they knew full well they couldn't keep, they continuously Bragged, and Advertised that this game was going to have it all.
To make some poor excuse that it's everyone else fault for buying into that is like saying your ok buying Frosted Flakes Cereal only to get Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Love both, but sure as hell ain't what I bought.
But it's not to say CDPR did anything wrong per say. They basically just took EVERY LITTLE THING in Cyberpunk 2077 and BLEW them out of Proportion like it was some amazing gaming mechanic. Seriously, CDPR Put out more Trailers for Cyberpunk 2077 than any other game i know. And literally half of them are not even the final product of the game and continue to Advertise it.

Personally, I think people put so much Hope into the game because One: It's CDPR. And Two: Their Previous Games was amazing. I don't really get people comparing this to GTA or anything sense that a different game in general, people should be comparing CP2077 to their Previous Games like the Witcher Series. Those were top tier shit right there. They were seriously nothing insane but did a way better job than CP2077 ever did.

Ever since the announcement I saw only "it's gonna be the greatest thing ever" from nearly everyone. It can't be just marketing fluff. Everyone promotes their games like the best thing since forever. What separated CP77 from the rest?
Nothing really. I figured they'd fumble this years ago. I didn't think the Witcher stuff was great. I was hopeful for cyberpunk because of the source material but didn't think cdpr could pull it off. Hurts to be so right

I know from a study that the "trust" we give someone can be compartmentalized into four sub-categories:
1. (Perceived) Competence: CDPR's perceived competence was great, just look at The Witcher 3 (and the two others, at least in my opinion).
2. Consistence: They consistently delivered great games and they kept getting better. Their promises (no paid dlc, only "real" expansions) were true... (until CP 2077)
3. Showing true interest in the thing you're doing: Well, they obviously always throw those people into marketing interviews, who really care, like Miles Tost or Pawel Sasko. Al these people genuinely seemed excited.
4. Transparent and Well-Coordinated Actions: The Keanu Reeves-reveals-release-date-moment was the high-point of this: It all seemed to come together perfectly. Only after the long silence and then postponing the release more than one time: At the latest then we could have started to lose trust.
But we didn't because the other three were too strong.

Now they've lost a lot of that trust. I'm sorry for that, I love their games and CP 2077 is a good game. But its marketing was just too deceitful... They should have been more open about what they can't do and release it as Early Access. But they wanted to be a big player and big players don't do Early Access.
Completely agree. It was a mix of those factors and I'll also add that the timing was really right as companies like Activision-Blizzard who were seen as pillars of the gaming industry were already losing more and more faith from the customers because of their greedy practices and out of touch and cold corporate messages, CDPR came in with messages like "It'll come out when it's ready" or "We leave greed to others", heavily playing on the lack of trust in companies and presenting themselves as the big pillar of honesty(\transparency), quality and customer-oriented business practices.

While major AAA companies were allowing games to go out in the span of 2-3 years with game-breaking bugs and day 1 patches, CDPR seemed like the company that would wait even more than a decade to make sure the game came out and was for the most part a smooth and complete experience with no "cash shops" in the game or no intention to put microtransactions in them which also greatly gave them the favour and attention of other gamers.

Then the entire thing that happened with No Man's Sky repeated itself. The more time went on the more people started to speculate what kind of monumental game experience they were gonna deliver. Talks about the branching Life Paths and how they would affect players experiences adding a lot to replayability were going on. Players were talking about how gangs were going to be handled and how cool vehicles and customization shown was. They were speculating about how deep the RPG aspects would go from the player model changing to owning houses or having a side-management component like V getting passive money by managing side-activities and so on.
The more time passed the more expectations started getting higher and higher.

So, in CDPR's defence they could've never met those expectations BUT they also grossly oversold what they were doing. Starting with how barren Life Paths are and how shallowly they affect the experience (I remember a post saying that 2% of the decisions are affected meaningfully by them while the rest is just either a sentence that does nothing or straight up has nothing to do with Life Paths).

Same goes with how badly the "It'll come out when it's ready" statement aged and how badly "We leave greed to others" also aged because of all the shady antics going on before the launch starting with reviewers being able to use only pre-released footage for their reviews and the egregious "It works surprisingly well" statement about how the game ran on PS4 and Xbox one.

So yeah, a lot of trust was put on CDPR, too much trust and a lot of is the fault of gamers becoming over-excited and hyped about how the product would turn out (setting themselves up for disappointment, in a way) BUT part of the blame goes also on the marketing and interviews done by CDPR.

Then again, it's very possible they had contractual obligations that forbade them from speaking ill of the game or, more possible, from saying anything that could hurt the sales (a practice I really dislike) along with deadlines that they could negotiate to have extended only to a certain extent since investors want their quick returns (for which we also have the news that CDPR lied to investors so even them are not entirely to blame).

TL;DR - In the end, customers (gamers in this case) are just regular people and while being intelligent (possibly) they're prone to put faith towards somebody or something (in this case a company) that proved time and time again to not only deliver good products but care about them.
In doing so, though, the more the product seemed incredible the more they hyped themselves up and set up for disappointment but the blame for this is not entirely on them.

Quite the simple answer to that.

Because CD Projekt Red and ofc what we have seen in the 2018 Demo

From expierience we could tell the demo should be close to the game.
As it was with the 20 min showcase of Witcher 3 remember this? Endproduct was rly close
despite the differences.

Cyberpunk 2077 was nothing like that, it stayed far away from the 2018 showcase
and here we are

Last edited:
Completely agree. It was a mix of those factors and I'll also add that the timing was really right as companies like Activision-Blizzard who were seen as pillars of the gaming industry were already losing more and more faith from the customers because of their greedy practices and out of touch and cold corporate messages, CDPR came in with messages like "It'll come out when it's ready" or "We leave greed to others", heavily playing on the lack of trust in companies and presenting themselves as the big pillar of honesty(\transparency), quality and customer-oriented business practices.

While major AAA companies were allowing games to go out in the span of 2-3 years with game-breaking bugs and day 1 patches, CDPR seemed like the company that would wait even more than a decade to make sure the game came out and was for the most part a smooth and complete experience with no "cash shops" in the game or no intention to put microtransactions in them which also greatly gave them the favour and attention of other gamers.

Then the entire thing that happened with No Man's Sky repeated itself. The more time went on the more people started to speculate what kind of monumental game experience they were gonna deliver. Talks about the branching Life Paths and how they would affect players experiences adding a lot to replayability were going on. Players were talking about how gangs were going to be handled and how cool vehicles and customization shown was. They were speculating about how deep the RPG aspects would go from the player model changing to owning houses or having a side-management component like V getting passive money by managing side-activities and so on.
The more time passed the more expectations started getting higher and higher.

So, in CDPR's defence they could've never met those expectations BUT they also grossly oversold what they were doing. Starting with how barren Life Paths are and how shallowly they affect the experience (I remember a post saying that 2% of the decisions are affected meaningfully by them while the rest is just either a sentence that does nothing or straight up has nothing to do with Life Paths).

Same goes with how badly the "It'll come out when it's ready" statement aged and how badly "We leave greed to others" also aged because of all the shady antics going on before the launch starting with reviewers being able to use only pre-released footage for their reviews and the egregious "It works surprisingly well" statement about how the game ran on PS4 and Xbox one.

So yeah, a lot of trust was put on CDPR, too much trust and a lot of is the fault of gamers becoming over-excited and hyped about how the product would turn out (setting themselves up for disappointment, in a way) BUT part of the blame goes also on the marketing and interviews done by CDPR.

Then again, it's very possible they had contractual obligations that forbade them from speaking ill of the game or, more possible, from saying anything that could hurt the sales (a practice I really dislike) along with deadlines that they could negotiate to have extended only to a certain extent since investors want their quick returns (for which we also have the news that CDPR lied to investors so even them are not entirely to blame).

TL;DR - In the end, customers (gamers in this case) are just regular people and while being intelligent (possibly) they're prone to put faith towards somebody or something (in this case a company) that proved time and time again to not only deliver good products but care about them.
In doing so, though, the more the product seemed incredible the more they hyped themselves up and set up for disappointment but the blame for this is not entirely on them.

Because CD Project Red and ofc what we have seen in the 2018 Demo

As it was with the 20 min showcase of Witcher 3 remember this? Endproduct was rly close
despite the differences.

and here we are
I agree with the negative criticism. Not like the 2018 Demo at all and on top of that the infinite and game-breaking bugs, gotta be blind to deny that. And still, this is the closest to the kind of custom RPG I've always wanted and Bioware (and Ubi) wouldn't give me (save for ME). Now if only it was compatible with Windows 8 :disapprove:!!!

Because CD Project Red and ofc what we have seen in the 2018 Demo

despite the differences.

and here we are
It's fairly close to what we saw in the demo 2018.

Last edited:
It's fairly close to what we saw in the demo 2018.

No it is not, entire systems from the 2018 Demo are missing or not working and saying otherwise is just turning a blind
eye on it. Anyway, this is not the thread to provide critique, after what happend to me in Februar i still struggle with myself
to give it another lenghty try. It is close regards to the location though that is right and graphics were better.
But i would have took a graphical reduction gladly, if we had got the systems shown of in the DEMO.

I just said, why we had so much faith in CD Projekt Red and gave the obvious reason why it burned down so fast.
Nothing more, i still believe CDPR can get back a good junk of said faith and trust, but it will be a long road.
Sadly though it also would be the first time i see this happen in 30 years i am a PC video game player now.

That says a lot about the situation we all are in here and how much CD Projekt Red has lost, that can t be counted
in money.

No it is not, entire systems from the 2018 Demo are missing or not working and saying otherwise is just turning a blind
eye on it.
To be sure, we talking about this video ?
(48 min - Gameplay - 2018)
I ask because honestly, there are some change, but in general except for a few changes in the quests and the interface... it looks quite similar (surprisingly even).

Last edited:
Yes i am sure, loyality system gone, streed creed has no function at all outside of "unlocking" sidegigs.
No recognizing you as "infamous" merc whatsoever, one night stands? Hah ye right, ordering joytoys?
Where are my working physics at? Car chases?

Yes i am sure i meant that video, perhaps the changes are "few" but they are way more severe than the
changes Witcher 3 Demo to Witcher 3 game (imo ofc) also once again i am not here to criticize.
I might do that again... if i find the will to do it again, i said what i said because we all had faith in CDPR.

"fairly" isn't the word i would use, hence why i didn't. Why? Because is implies that only minor things
are missing. They are not, not even compared to the 20 min demo of witcher and the final witcher3.
Major systems either not working correct or got cut out completely.

Somewhat, might be sufficient, remotely close another phrase that can be used. Keep turning a blind eye,
i wont, because that will be of no help right now. Not when so many things have to be reworked.

As for why i brought this up, to show how far CD Projekt Red has burned through their goodwill within the
customer base. As i mentioned, the Studio lost things that can't be measured in money. Only in the long run
the consequences will be seen, just like we see the consequences of Activision being Activision right now.
Same for the others, less popular, but the consequences are there.

I also said, CD Projekt Red had a massive amount of trust build up within the customers (long time ones)
Starting all the way back with W1, the studio gradually increased the quality of the games and how they
approached the market (hint here DRM free games 100%) thats why pre CP2077 there was so much faith
and trust put torwards CDPR. The company was the only one, who managed to make me preorder the games.
Partly because only CEs are physical now. But in 30 years of playing video games i never preordered.
Probably never will again, since i presume it was my time now to learn this lesson the hard way.
But we will see.

On top of that, i think the PR did a good number on us, along side the desire to have "a good guy" in
the industry full of companies that exploited their customers for way to long. By screwing them over
with half finished games, mtx, lootboxes and mandatory launchers all over the place.

Thats why there was so much faith, guess that is gone now, only a small, a really quite small glimmer of
hope is left that things MAY turn around.

Well, I came to Cyberpunk having not played either Witcher OR GTA, so neither of those games made me pre-judge what Cyberpunk may be. It got my attention because it was supposed to be a Cyberpunk RPG - something I'd been waiting for for a long time, thanks to a love of things like Bladerunner. I sadly made the mistake, like so many, of believing the hype and fibs being told to sell it. I won't make that mistake again... I don't know if CDPR learned anything from all this (except some people will even defend tripe), but I sure learned some things - Don't believe the hype, marketing, influencers that get paid off with gifts... and never pre-order another game, wait to see actual gameplay videos from normal gamers before deciding whether or not to buy something new. One thing that's helped me see Cyberpunk for what it is, is that I'm not looking at it through the rose tinted glasses of having played Witcher.

To be sure, we talking about this video ?
(48 min - Gameplay - 2018)
I ask because honestly, there are some change, but in general except for a few changes in the quests and the interface... it looks quite similar (surprisingly even).

There are some downgrades though, such as when V shoved that guy in the ice tub and shot him. Dynamic kills like that would have been a great addition.

Homehow I felt tike thesere are people whoreally care about what they are developig. I'm not sure about what you do but when I have problems with my upper mangemetn I speak up. And my boss usually listens. I saddans me that this game was realeased in the ststae it was a year ago. I wish this game was a next gen only release.

But that is the past. I want to support this project. To be honest I know how bad corporate things can go. I don't want to cancel them, they have the opportunitiy to make up for us.

CDPR pls make this an epic comeback.

Best regards, Miklós

Attachments

• photomode_02082021_222632.png
    photomode_02082021_222632.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 33
And here we are again.
It amaze me how some people can blame the customers and the community, for CDPR error and misleading.
If you want to know that was removed from the 2018 demo, You can search it online. It's like a missing list of 200+ items.

But I want to remeber you all, the most iconic thing said in the trailer: "The most believable city in modern RPGS..." (while showing V standing in the middle of a croud of NPC in the croswalk, suggesting that NPC was the focus).
And remember, we are not talking only about the look or achitecture of the city.
Now, there's anyone in this community that can back that statement up?

It's one of the baddest design AI of the century.
Police system is embarassing. Never seen a game handling that so bad.
I don't remeber a game i ever have played with a system like that.

What about immersion?
You can't interact with almost nothing in the city.
You can't sit down. You can't eat. You can't go to club and dance. Nothing.

We know, it's not a SIM game.
But this are mechanics that are present in almost the majority of open city games this day.
Are wrong all other game devs?
Or maybe, it's actually this game witch is lacking?

I get that You can like the game, but at least you should be honest

Ever since the announcement I saw only "it's gonna be the greatest thing ever" from nearly everyone. It can't be just marketing fluff. Everyone promotes their games like the best thing since forever. What separated CP77 from the rest?
I think a lot of it was due to TW3 adding credibility to CDPR as actually doing what they said. CP clearly didn't live up to everyone's expectations based on what was promised. But TW3 is a really impressive game even today, both when it comes to scope, graphics and storytelling. So I think many thought that this would "secure" CP the same amount of quality and in certain areas it does and others it is really poor.

Also I think the fact that CDPR never stepped back from their marketing of the game until release.

Guest 3847602

But I want to remeber you all, the most iconic thing said in the trailer: "The most believable city in modern RPGS..." (while showing V standing in the middle of a croud of NPC in the croswalk, suggesting that NPC was the focus).
NPCs in that 48 min demo worked and behaved exactly as in the game. There is no activity with NPCs that this trailer showed or described that isn't in the game. NOTHING.
It's one of the baddest design AI of the century.
Police system is embarassing. Never seen a game handling that so bad.
I don't remeber a game i ever have played with a system like that.
What about immersion?
You can't interact with almost nothing in the city.
You can't sit down. You can't eat. You can't go to club and dance. Nothing.
Funny, but they didn't show police chases in this demo. Just like they didn't show V sitting down, drinking or eating, clubbing and dancing. NOTHING.
Are wrong all other game devs?
Or maybe, it's actually this game witch is lacking?
Different games, different focus.
Good number of us don't want to engage with police, or stalk NPCs or dream about sitting, eating and drinking in a video game like we can't do all of this in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom