Your favorite Witcher moments - Contest

+
Your favorite Witcher moments - Contest

The Witcher series is turning 6! The past few days we all have been reminiscing about our favorite moments from all of the games here at the studio. To celebrate this anniversary, we would like to hear your most cherished stories related to The Witcher and/or The Witcher 2. We are curious: What stood out the most for you? Are there things you saw in the games that you will never forget? Let us know! Authors of the most original/touching/funny answers will receive Witcher prizes such as t-shirts, witcher medallions, GOG.com codes for both of our games or posters signed by the developers of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Dont wait any longer! Share your most beloved moment with us by replying to this news post now! We will announce the winners on Monday. Our friends at GOG.com have just wrapped up their celebrations of the 6th anniversary with a Witcher story contest (the results of which you can check out here). Ready? Set, go!

Berengar poking at his little fire, watching me with a furrowed brow.
The Resolute Girl skipping and playing on the shore.
The Fisher King hauling in his nets once again.
The Elves sat by their fires, hungry and proud.
All sheltering under the Ladies outstretched hand.
Simply standing and walking along the lakeside was enough for my Geralt, a little dream of peace and a way of life he'll never know in the midst of all this tragedy. Respite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9es3gtxHMU

Not really an event but for me it was getting off the boat at Flotsam for the first time and basking in the glory of the forest, couldn't quite believe my eyes.

In the first game it was finally getting in Vyzima.

SPOILER alert!!!

Moment I'll never forget? Well, at the end of The Witcher 1, after killing Jacques De Aldersberg, ("silver sword? this one is for monsters...") and seeing the dimeritium amulet falling from his hand. I remember thinking: "OMFG, I just killed Alvin..."

"I'm not your foe, I never was.."

this decision made me think long and hard even after I made it, there were so many layers to consider. It was also influenced by a lot of your previous decisions especially if the pogroms happened.

Best moment for sure.

For me, the best moment was in the Outskirts of Vizima, walking around the village at night when I noticed a Ghoul feasting on an unfortunate traveler by one of the houses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tf0x0jazI

The music, the visuals, the sounds - it all drew me in and I felt like I was really inside a world where the things I'd heard about from folk tales told by my grandparents actually exist. The feeling was very simlar to the one you get as a small child, when you're unsure what's making that strange noise outside in the night and you start imagining all sorts of creatures that you've been told about, just like that ghoul. Only in this world, this is really happening and Geralt's the one who has to face the terror in order to protect the people hidden in their little houses, hoping they'll be able to last until dawn.

Finding out the consequences of decisions you made in the game, because no matter the decision you made there was always some consequence that made you look at the screen and think, what could I have done differently to change that. It made you think long and hard about decisions when they came up in the game, still does on my 3rd or 4th run.

Thanks CDPR for making a very thought provoking game.

For me it totally felt epic as Geralt escaped the 2nd prison he was held ... As he lit up the ropes cuffed around his hands with igni sign knocked shillard unconcious and beat up 2 guards.... turning over such a desperate situation... with such smart use of his witcher magic .... feels very cool when geralts is using his special abilities to turn situations or creating them ;)/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

He even then spared the live of shillard .. even though he just wanted him to get killed ... & then freeing the sorceress philippa in the process which eyes got poked out o_O .. having her at your mercy [ a sorcress ) felt great ;)/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>... since usally they are much stronger than geralt...

I also like alot of those flashy moments like fighting a dragon or getting your sword handed over by the ladys of a lake....but those small details ... displays of the person geralt and his expertise ... such as handling curses knowing alot about monsters ... and staying true to his witcher codex ..outsmarting by speech... save the innocent & slay evil ...all about the depht to his character & the way geralt can handle things are most awesome to me...

Playing as Geralt is awesome all the way .. hes such a wise guy with alot of humor .. but also dead serious as hes a professional^^

The Scene :
http://youtu.be/jQsYQ4XN7Mc?t=1h58m47s

This hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQ522MHnNU

Also second place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKw2uABrdQ

3rd would be ending to this quest:

Oh way too many, going to try and condense them.

In no particular order:

Geralt and Jacques' confrontation.

I remember the first time I saw Jacques, I was very skeptical and questioned the wisdom behind introducing a main antagonist in the last 5 minutes of the game. But as he kept talking, I kept on realizing that what he was saying was very familiar. From stuff like (paraphrasing) "didn't you say those with gifts should aspire to do good?" and "the elves are dying anyways, I'm letting them die on their feet."

Then it clicked and I realized who he was (before we see the medallion), and I remember having to pause the game and look awed at the screen for a minute. "I made him" was the general thought I had, and it took me a few minutes after finishing the game to realize the depth of the genius in this.

It's definitely one of my favorite moments.

Odrin.

I fucking love that guy and I don't know why. He's even become an inside joke between me and my brother, that is invoked whenever we drink beer. heck even in public, I'm always tempted to yell "BEEEEEEEER" when my pint arrives, and it's all because of Odrin.

I even deliberately delay my search for Odrin, just so that I can keep hearing "Ooooooooodrin, here boi, oooooodrin; OOODRINNNNNNNN" in an otherwise grim and muddy camp. I know it annoyed some people, but for some absurd reason, the screaming was like music to my ears.

BATS

Roche's commando wtf bamf moment.

Now of course first time playing, I knew that Roche was a crazy bamf, but that moment solidified it and I remember laughing.

I laughed because I was not sure what was the funniest. The casual "fuck" Roche utters before immediately launching himself on the nearest Kaedweni making it al looked planned, or the reaction that poor Kaedweni sod must have had to be attacked by a commando dropping from the sky, or Geralt's lack of surprise as if saying "yep that's my Roche."

It is a rare skill to be able to introduce epic and funny moments when the general ambiance of that part of the game was pretty grim, without compromising said grimness.

Now Philippa is awesomness made manifest, but one particular scene made her for me and that was the council.

2nd time playing around (first time was Roche's path), I admit I sort of forgot about Philippa and then I thought maybe it wasn't the wisest decision to confine her to one path as it may not be enough for her to rival or eclipse Sile de Tansarville. Boy was I wrong.

Now we all know dwarves are badasses. Does anyone even remember people talking shit about dwarves to their faces? But then we have Philippa simply saying "Please leave the thinking to me, Mister Zigrin. And I'd gladly hear less from you from now on."

It may sound trivial and maybe it is, but to me, this was the best way to introduce someone like her. Instantly I knew this is not a woman to be trifled with, that she oozed authority and power, that she doesn't need to yell or act intimidating to get her point across, that being intimidating is her natural state. That even dwarves know that they need to stfu when she is around.

The talks of Loc Muinne.

Of course from a story and plot perspective, the talks of Loc Muinne were a great way to unravel this huge web of political intrigue that's been woven throughout the game. But what drew me to it is the attention to detail and its subtleties.

From Shlard's small smirk when Henselt mentions the possibility of a future Nilfgaardian invasion, Radovid leaning forward and looking at Henselt as he put the blame of Anais' capture squarely on Dethmold, Radovid rolling his eyes at Natalis. Or Radovid keeping his composure when Saskia tells him Philippa escaped. Or Radovid's guards in the talks being Knights of the Order, and when Cardiun presents the charter, he does so first to Radovid whose consent is the one that matters.

All these little things add to the tension that is to be expected in a political conference. It also served a lot to add character to Radovid, who we don't see often before that.

Drinking Vodka with Letho.

My favorite protagonist - antagonist moment hands down. It was just so perfect. And it wasn't melodramatic, or with hugging, or some soft music, it was just right. Geralt drinking the vodka before Letho is the biggest show of trust one can show towards another, esp a deceiver like Letho. And I adored the game for letting me do that.

At the time, I had played another game that I felt had insulted my intelligence, something I do not take kindly, so when I was confronted with this scene, I knew then that the Witcher 2 was my favorite game of all time. Because in addition to it resolving the plot in such a brilliant way, and in addition to the characterization of Letho and his dynamic with Geralt, I felt respected. I felt my intelligence and my attachment to the story were respected.

Because when others would have allowed gameplay to dictate story and would have forced a boss fight against the main antagonist of the game, because that's how all games should end right, CDPR was like "no, we'll let you choose how to end the game." And when some would think that a non-violent ending is anti-climactic, what ended up being a conversation between two old friends and the sharing of vodka was one of the best endings I've ever experienced, and certainly the best antagonist-protagonist dynamic I've seen.

In fact I'd say that is probably my favorite Witcher moment, because it was then I knew the Witcher 2 was my favorite game.

From tw1 ,
geralt's confrontation with jaques d alderberg
noonwraith quest when dandelion sings song for them
berenger fi8 with geralt

from tw2
drinking vodka with letho...
epilogue talks of loc muinne....
r mine best witcher moments...

There are too many for me to mention, so I'll just pick out my top most memorable moment from each game (after lot of thought of course)

In The Witcher, one moment which is always in my mind is that moment in chapter 2 when Geralt is asked 'steel sword for humans, sivler for monsters' and what he immediately replies, "both are for monsters"
It was a simple line, but perhaps had so much dept in meaning to it which continued throughout both the witcher games and of course now in TW3. That was the first thing which I remembered when I saw the killing monsters trailer too, exact same sentiment! Hoping to see something of this sort in TW3 too.

In The Witcher 2, it has to be the death of Cedric. Man, being a male animal looking adult in my 20s, I actually teared the first time I witnessed that scene (now I still feel crap remembering it) Perhaps the most underrated character of the game, and probably who was most honest with Geralt, even more than his companions. Wish could have had more of him. Just in one chapter itself, and less interactions compared to most other major characters, Cedric's sentiments came across the most powerful way (at least for me)
In his last moment, when he says to the Geralt the forest is calling him, that was really heart breaking.

I still feel Geralt should have at least whacked Letho or something, as didn't want to kill him (which are whole other reasons and memorable moments, but as I said just sticking with top 1) but something should have been done for Cedric.

These were mine. :)

1) When Finally entered Vizima . The feeling of playing sooo long in outskirts and then entering an actual medevil town was stunning.

2) Deciding if i should kill or spare the warewolf

3) When almost finished the game i reallized that the group style works better the more opponents are near you

4) Meditating like a moron for an hour unitl i finally manage to spot the girl to "make love to" on the Mill

5) And obviusly:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw[/media]

The reason I originally got into The Witcher was the fantastic landscapes and artistic approach, like living in a dark fantastic world with an agenda of its own. I could wander around the outskirts, Vizima and especially the fields in ch. 4 for hours.

I loved the concept of the noonwraiths. A terrifying apparition haunting travelers right in the middle of the day. And our interaction with that particular noonwraiths, involving Dandelion, was incredibly memorable and fantastically executed.

There is a moment of sadness and despair when we realize Jacques could be Alvin, but it is especially tragic because if he is, he is the product of circumstance. A monster we inadvertedly created while trying to instill good values. The way he twists and bends our own lessons is heart wrenching.

In TW2, I remember the feeling of immensity and raw natural power the Flotsam forest gave me. So deep I literally got lost, looking around every crevice anticipating endregas and nekkers.

In ch. 2, Kaedweni camp, reenacting Sabrinas execution was striking in every sense. As a quest, it demands problem solving and some combat skills, while showcasing an impressive display of graphical and artistic quality. Basically the Witcher in a nutshell.

Loc Muinne sent shivers down my spine the way classic cRPG's did. Especially the entrance sequence with Iorveth weighed with urgency and melancholy. In general this area was fascinating if only for its meaning and history. A time machine taking us back to the time of the myths, living in illo tempore.

But overall, both Witchers comprise digital experiences still unmatched. Somehow you guys blend different genres succesfully and manage to create such meaningful moments that this thread could go on indefinitely.

So thank you.

I remember picking up The Witcher Enhanced Edition at one of the last great brick n' mortar shops around Athens, maybe a couple of months before it was firebombed into oblivion during the riots of '08. I hadn't touched a video game in a long time and I was heavily invested in an effort to decry my geeklord past, survive through Great Love #3 and other amusing bullshit.

I had very little knowledge of the game itself, no preconceptions other than practically *everyone* I knew who mattered in the gaming world, told me that it was nothing sort of revolutionary. I fired the game up and the first thing that struck me was the quality of the writing. The bleak despair evident in every lovingly hand crafted texture. The way the characters spoke to each other. It all jumped right out of the screen, here was something that spoke directly to the man fighting to come out of the well-intentioned, kind hearted geekboy that was at the controls.

Triss at the tower, riding my mangy nag through the rain, arriving in the Outskirts and trying to warm my bones next to a depressed, dying flame. Speaking to people that I had actually met in real life...everything about it rang true. By the time I got around to investing myself into the mysteries of the Beast, I was gone. I was there. Vizima became real, Geralt's torments were mine.

Nothing will ever come close to how personal, how real and how bloody the world of the Witcher is. From the bottom of my heart CDPRojekt Red, thank you for an amazing ride and here's to the next 66 years or so ;)

wow great contest!
i choose the two most shocking moments:

witcher 1: during the party alcohol-based shani confesses the insane truth...
she had an "affair".... with thaler!!!!!.... what a fff... i cried for this
come on CDPR,he is stale filthy and stinking, you know, you have created him!

witcher 2: fight club, geralt has fun beating yokels increasingly large, heavy and muscular, until the final against the undefeated champion... zdeneck!!! so i think: careful not hurt yourself gramps, but he is strong!! i play with medium difficulty first time, and almost knocks me out with only one error! something happened, he is much younger that the match in the cave of TW1, very strange doping....
(also the discovery of the assassin crashed is hilarious... ops, missed the straw llooooll)

KnightofPhoenix said:
Great post. Agree with many of your picks.

The Roche one. That's just gold. "...fuck..." Man. I laughed so hard at that scene. Even though I don't particularly like Roche's path (for narrative reasons, quality wise it was excellent) Roche did make it all worth it when he and Geralt entered Vergen.

Phillipa, yup. That's one amazing lady.

Yeah no, great picks.

I'd like to add my own.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DT-2aTRDiw&list=PLEA1CBBD2DE2129D3&index=9[/media]

This one, I don't know, just speaks to me. There's magic. There's knights. There's racism. There's fucking monsters from a parallel universe, hell there's a bad motherfucker just in the river behind Geralt! And yet here they are, talking about evolution. Knowledge flows. In this bleak world. There's still such modern thoughts that permeate some circles of scholars and mages. I don't know. I can't explain it. I just really loved this moment. I guess it really comes down to that I love to learn. And learning about anything while having a blast. Well if that's not the essence of what makes life awesomesauce then I don't know what would be :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-uzqaT4nqw&list=PLEA1CBBD2DE2129D3&index=19[/media]

This one always puts a smile to my face. Mr. Doug just does a fantastic job in conveying, with only his voice, how ridiculous the whole situation is. I mean, he's been a witcher for what, close to 100 years? Ever since he was a child right? I can just imagine what's going through his head when he has to explain what he does :p I don't know, it's funny to me :p

Odrin is amazing.

Geralt: Beer inspires great conversation.

Odrin: That was beautiful....what you just said.

and when he screams BEEEER when you sit down haha :)

Dorn

Forum regular
---for anyone who doesn't know: MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT---

I expected a monster

I know it might not be the most epic moment, but it is the one that burned itself inside my mind. In the epilogue of the Witcher 1 after killing that big ugly tentacle monster, I stepped out of the sewers. Vizima was bruning. The air was filled with despair and prayers. It was so sad... so end-time like...
And then entering the Grandmaster's monastery. Awaiting a human-monster, but meeting a regular men, holding that child in his arms. I was really confused... Was this the men, who started this ridiculos war to murder countless nonhumans? Why? He didn't seemed so bad, so evil.

I liked it because it really showed, there is no black and white in the Witcher. There is no absolutly good person, neither an all evil villan... Aldelsberg had a vision of a better world. He did all that evil, in the name of good. This left me speachless. It is the reason, why I like Witcher 1 much more than the also great second part, where Letho was just killing for Nilfgaard, because he had to.

But Aldelsberg's reason for what he did... that was truly epic

Top Bottom