DLSS 3 PC Hotfix

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED

A hotfix for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is out on PC. It improves the stability of the game running on the GeForce RTX 40 Series Graphics Cards related to DLSS 3. The game version won’t change.

Frame generation works for me now! Was pretty excited to see this hotfix this morning haha!

Well its not crashing anymore, but we have the stutter back! Get this right and playing it on Ultra RT at 4K, it might be the best looking game on the PC at the moment.

Last edited:
Just spent all day yesterday modding this game to a stable condition. Now I get to start from scratch again thanks to auto-updates. Thanks...

Please just undo on whatever modifications you made to DX11, what is wrong with CDPR??? or Let us rollback to 4.01 already

Bro, I don't know what you guys did but I have a 3060 ti and I use to reach well over 120 fps even 140 fps at 1080, now it only gets 70 fps max, please, have this checked, this makes no sense I tried every setting even the lowest it gets max only 70-80 fps, wtf,

Just spent all day yesterday modding this game to a stable condition. Now I get to start from scratch again thanks to auto-updates. Thanks...
If you got the game from GOG (which frankly you should) then you can easily get around that by right clicking the EXE and making a shortcut, place it on your desktop and run the game from there. However if you it on Steam then you are screwed because their DRM won't allow that. Then the game will start without GOG and it won't update until you actually start up GOG and tell it to.

And modding ANY game that is still being actively updated is just part of the risk of modding the game. When I upgraded to 4.02 it broke my game too but I knew the risks and so that's on me not CDPR. Since I wasn't actively playing the game I was still on 4.00 because I was starting the game from the desktop shortcut so it wouldn't automatically update because I knew 4.01 didn't really bring anything new to the table and I didn't want to bust my modded build. I only upgraded to 4.02 out of curiosity to see if the threading issue was fixed or at least worked better than before .... Doesn't sound like it was fixed yet so the game remains in a broken state for now since I'm not playing it currently and don't plan to again until it threads correctly which I don't expect will happen until after CP 2077 development is wrapped up. With the upcoming Path Tracing Overdrive update being worked on CDPR's top game engine devs are all busy working on that major and innovative upgrade. Being the first devs to fully utilize Nvidia's new architecture based SER (Shader Execution Reordering) means they likely have their hands full because they are going where no one else has gone before on a new platform (40 series Nvidia) that hasn't even been out there for 6 months yet. Hopefully they can take some of what they learn there and eventually bring it to Witcher 3 although SER only works on Nvidia 40 series

Last edited:
Deactivated all Frame Limiters for max GPU (4090) usage. Played 90 minutes without a single crash now!
(Before Hotfix max 3mins). Thank you very much CDPR for this Hotfix. I really enjoy the game again now. :)

Ps: No stutter here.
(Dont use Nvidia Overlay --> MicroStutter.)
(Msi Afterburner/RTSS is fine and smooth. Just dont use any Frame limiters with it in combination with FrameGen --> Stutter.).

(Dont use Nvidia Overlay --> MicroStutter.)
(Msi Afterburner/RTSS is fine and smooth. Just dont use any Frame limiters with it in combination with FrameGen --> Stutter.).
The stutter you mentioned in combination with DLSS 3 Frame Generation - more precisely what it can't handle properly yet are
partial frametime spike adjustments. That's one of the additional tweaks applied by the FPS limiter of RTSS for example, so you
can use FPS limiters if you want (e.g. Nvidia Control Panel) as long as these don't try to additionally smoothen frametime.

Last edited:
I thought it's a fairly well-known issue: DX11 crashes instantly on loading a game from the main screen since 4.02 was introduced (once the load has completed and the transition from the 'story catch-up' has finished). I find it troubling that the game can be patched quickly for a 'crash in minutes' issue but there doesn't appear to be acknowledgement (that I know of) of a much more easily-reproduced crash. I can't speak for others but I have the problem on Radeon VII so obviously nothing RT-related, which is what most people reporting issues seem to be complaining about.

And no, no modifications. On the other hand, I've gone back to playing on Linux via Proton, which is what I did on my first play-through two years ago. No issues there, which is why I've seen some suggest use of DXVK as a work-around.

DX12 is a bust on both Windows and Linux for me. Crasherrific.

Everyone who having problems with game crashing (nvm if it's DX11 or DX12) should fist do:
1) delete all "dx12user.settings" and "user.settings" file in ur "<documents>/The Witcher 3" Folder. (When you start the game this files will be automaticly restored to default config, you just need to configure again ur in game gameplay, graphic, video etc. settings)
2) go to "<ur game directory>/bin/" folder and delete folders: "x64_dx12" and "x64" and "config" (if u having mods ini files there, then first do backup of thoes) and run game werify/repair in GOG/Steam client, to downloads thoes files again.
3) delete "Mods" folder if you have it in "<ur game direcotry>/" (first do copy of ur mods if you have ones)
4) update ur GPU drivers and Game update to newest version.
5) go to "<ur game directory>/bin/x64" (for dx11) or "... bin/x64_dx12/" and open properties of ur file: "witcher3.exe", go to tab "compatibility" and mark "run this program as an administrator" and also "disable fulscreen optimizations". Remember to first run game witchout any mods installed!
6) disable all in game overlay, on Steam settings, GOG settings, on Geforce Experiences Settings or AMD Adrenaline.
7) if you playing on laptop, then change ur system power plan to "Performance" and in your dedicated GPU Control Panel change 3D program settings for your game exe and then select preferred graphic processor for this program/game to "High performance <ur GPU> processor"
8) if still DX11 mode crashing and if ur GPU supports Vulkan technology, then download DXVK dll:
- download newest "dxvk-...tar.gz" from: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases
- unpack this file and from "x64" folder copy: "d3d11.dll" and "dxgi.dll" in to the same location where is the game .exe (This will force the game to use vulkan instead of the DX11)
9) for AMD RX 7900 XT/X series GPU try to change game AA from FSR to TAAU. (Yea i know u will get smaller performance, but for now it maybe only available solution, untill AMD or CDPR fix it in new driver/game patch, that lost performance in RT you can restore by installing my mod: All-In-One RT Tweaks
10) if you ur PC have lower then 32GB RAM, then Increese system virtual memory size:
Click Start > All Programs > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory. Click Change. In Customize size set "Initial Size" to 16384 (MB) and "Maximum Size" to 49152 (MB) (or 65536 MB max)
11) If ur game crashing at same specific place or quest cutsceen then change to other DX mode (DX11 or DX12) and complite this quest or do more progress and then save and return back to previous DX mode

Just let Windows set you page file size automatically .... Setting a page file manually hasn't been a thing since Windows XP. Ever since Win Vista/7 upgraded the memory management so it just isn't necessary. I'm running a highly modded Skyrim right now and I've seen my memory usage as high as 30.2 GB (out of 32 GB) and my page file grow as large as 86 GB. If I had used a fixed size less than that then the game would have crashed. Another downside is page file fragmentation, if you let Windows manage the page file size when you quit out of a game or other page file hungry application Windows will automatically defrag the page file when it shrinks it and moves all the data it wants to keep to the front of the page file.

Last edited:
If you don't use DLSS features in game and you currently have the problem on Windows with repeated crashes when you exit to Desktop after loading your current DX12 Witcher 3 progress and you don't want to enable Windows 8 Compatibility mode in wircher3.exe properties, make sure to move sl.dlss_g.dll from "The Witcher 3 game directory\bin\x64_dx12" into another backup location.
Only when "sl.dlss_g.dll" is present the issue I describe can occur!
Keep in mind the .dll changes below would disable all DLSS options for you.
Don't try to replace or delete the .dll file for no reason when you use DLSS features in The Witcher 3.

If the crash dump files consume several GB disk space on your drive already, delete the files/folders in:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps
%LOCALAPPDATA%\REDEngine\ReportQueue

Last edited:
Just let Windows set you page file size automatically .... Setting a page file manually hasn't been a thing since Windows XP. Ever since Win Vista/7 upgraded the memory management so it just isn't necessary. I'm running a highly modded Skyrim right now and I've seen my memory usage as high as 30.2 GB (out of 32 GB) and my page file grow as large as 86 GB. If I had used a fixed size less than that then the game would have crashed. Another downside is page file fragmentation, if you let Windows manage the page file size when you quit out of a game or other page file hungry application Windows will automatically defrag the page file when it shrinks it and moves all the data it wants to keep to the front of the page file.
You have no problem with 32gb ram, me too but some user told me that increasing virt. Memory helps him solve stability problem with in w3, because he had 16gb ram.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow this hot fix absolutely destroyed my performance in the DX11 version of the game -- would think this update would have no impact at all on this version, but I confirmed it was indeed at least related to the patch. Sharing I guess in case it might help anyone else that doesn't care about dlss or rt -- reversed the update and disabled auto-updates for now, and I'm back to a stable 60 fps at 4k ultra+ settings

Top Bottom