Unofficial PTR patch notes - 30th January 2018

+
Sailears;n10361532 said:
Dragoon already boosts only loyal units? I've never had it boost Yaevinn in hand.
Surely they must mean Neophytes - these guys can accidently buff Yaevinn and so would be good to change to loyal only.
I thought this too.

ser2440;n10360302 said:
The balance in the last patch, during which spies were at the top was arguably the best Gwent has seen. Not to mention that they could be shut down and got consistently defeated by decks considered inferior.

Hard removal could shut them down, because enforcers had to be on the board first before you could benefit from them. Now you can drop them down and immediately start to gun down your opponent. Even when ignoring balance, it's an awful change gameplay wise.

Hard removal could shut them down, because enforcers had to be on the board first before you could benefit from them. Now you can drop them down and immediately start to gun down your opponent. Even when ignoring balance, it's an awful change gameplay wise.

Initially, I thought the same. But when you consider that the nominal value for Bronzes is 12 - 14, it means the enemy needs to have at least 3 - 4 spies for enforcers to just be worth as much as any other bronze. which is not easy to happen, considering there are only 3 emissaries max. you need infiltrators and/or Ceallach too and even then, you will need 3 turns or more to bring them on the board probably. Meaning you have to go in a relatively long round to make them worth it without expending too much of the engine. Otherwise, the opponent plays some large tempo and they can crush you by the time you get the spies going.

In short, that change would have been absolutely insane before Midwinter. Now it's what's keeping the spies alive in the meta. Notice how none of their units, aside from the infiltrator, received any Strength boost, while everything is worth 11 points or more now.

**EDIT** Oh and don't forget that spies are only really worth it after the first engine unit. All the first one does is to make up for the points you give to your opponent via Emissaries

Last edited:
Ok, ST needs to be nerved, but with this I don't see a competetive ST deck and it will be the weakest faction again. I don't disagree with the cards nerved, but ST has nothing left to be competitive. I hope some other cards are boosted so other ST archetypes will be competitive.

ser2440;n10363352 said:
Initially, I thought the same. But when you consider that the nominal value for Bronzes is 12 - 14, it means the enemy needs to have at least 3 - 4 spies for enforcers to just be worth as much as any other bronze.

The better solution would have been to add something like 2 damage on deploy and increase their strength by one instead of dumbing the card down and making it less interactive (can't tell without testing if these numbers are best ones). Anyway NG has already 30% playrate in higher ranks. I'm afraid ST and NG just switch positions.

Some really good changes, I can't access the PTR for some reason but I'll give it another try and check that out.
That seems great though even if there is still quiet a few things missing, I wasn't expecting every problems to be fixed in one update so it's definitely nice.

The change of Summoning Circle will be a massive relief (god I was sick of this thing...even more than every deck ever). I also like the change of Slave drivers/Scout/Agitators, it might not been enough for the two first but we will see.

Monster consume and Nilgaard spies are going to be really strong though and I'm kinda surprised not to see any change about Henselt or at least Winch.

NOTE : I love the new treason, it's very cute.

For waiting so long I expected more. Doesn't really affect the fundamental unfun parts of the game - still too much play this to pull this bullshit. And Ciri Nova is still a stupid card. Nilfgaard are just back on top.

Masoterian;n10362792 said:
i hope we'll get full names of the specific characters back tho

We do :)

We even get Poor F'ing Infantry back.

Only Yennefer of Vengerberg stays Yennefer (maybe the name was too long?).

Unofficial PTR patch notes - 30th January 2018

I thought I'll list the changes on the PTR for those who are interested but not participating on it. Bear in mind, this is unofficial and not necessarily the current state the time you read this.
Please inform me of mistakes and changes I forgot, I'll edit the notes.
Neutral
  • Saskia: Dragonfire - Saesenthessis: Blaze
  • Triss - Triss Merigold
  • Germain - Germain Piquant
  • Olgierd - Olgierd von Everec
  • Iris von Everec
  • Dorregaray of Vole
  • Twisted Mirror - Bekker's Dark Mirror
  • Mushrooms - Mardroeme
  • Overdose - Shrike
  • Wyvern Shield - Wyvern Scale Shield

• Ale of the Ancestors - 9 to 10
  • Yennefer: Conjurer - 9 to 10
  • Avallac'h: Sage - 2 to 3
  • Ciri: Nova - strengthen to 22 (former 25)
  • Commander's Horn - boost 5 units by 3 (former by 4)
  • Stammelford's Tremor - no longer spawns a Lesser Guardian

Monsters
  • Caranthir - Caranthir ar-Feiniel

• Caranthir ar-Feiniel - 8 to 9
  • Kayran - 6; consume a unit with 6 power or less... to 5; consume a unit with 7 power or less ...
  • Ifrit - 7 to 8
  • Nithral - 6; damage for 5/ for 7 with a wild hunt unit in hand to 5; Deal 5 damage to an enemy: Iincrease the damage by for every Wild Hunt unit in your hand.
  • Striga - 5 to 6
  • Morvudd - 5 to 6
  • Monster Nest - doesn't boost by 3 anymore
  • Lamia - 5 to 6
  • Slyzard 3 to 2

Nilfgaard
  • Vattier - Vattier de Rideaux
  • Tibor - Tibor Eggebracht
  • Voorhis - Morvran Voorhis
  • Emhyr - Emhyr var Emreis
  • Bonhart - Leo Bonhart
  • Rainfarn - Rainfarn of Attre
  • Cahir - Cahir Dyffryn
  • Letho - Letho of Gulet
  • Assire - Assire var Anahid
  • The Empress - False Ciri
  • Peter Gwynleve - Peter Saar Gwynleve
  • Ceallach - Ceallach Dyffryn

• Treason - NEW Force 2 adjacent enemies to Duel each other.
  • Rot Tosser - 7 to 8
  • Slave Infantry - Spawned base copies are now doomed.
  • Slave Driver - 2 to 1
  • Ointment - lost option 1(the heal a boost). NOW Ressurect a Bronze unit with 5 power or less.

Northern Realms
  • Adda - Princess Adda
  • Radovid - King Radovid V
  • Foltest - King Foltest
  • Henselt - King Henselt
  • Dijkstra - Sigismund Dijkstra
  • Philippa - Philippa Eilhart
  • Seltkirk - Seltkirk of Gulet
  • Ronvid - Ronvid the Incessant
  • Vincent - Vincent Meis
  • Margarita - Margarita of Aretuza
  • Síle - Síle de Tansarville
  • Stennis - Prince Stennis
  • Sabrina - Sabrina Glevissig
  • Pavetta - Princess Pavetta
  • Aspirant - Redanian Knight-Elect
  • Poor Infantry - Poor F'ing Infantry

• Seltkirk of Gulet - 7 to 8
  • Shani - 5 to 4
  • Ves - 11 to 12
  • Vincent Meis - 8 to 9
  • Field Medic - 6 to 8
  • Kaedweni Revenant - ...spawn a copy ... to ... spawn a doomed base copy ... (the played copy isn't doomed anymore)

Scoia'tael
  • Brouver - Brouver Hoog
  • Francesca - Francesca Findabair
  • Ithlinne - Ithlinne Aegli
  • Isengrim - Isengrim Faoiltiarna
  • Zoltan - Zoltan Chivay
  • Sheldon - Sheldon Skaggs
  • Ciaran - Ciaran aep Easnilien
  • Yarpen - Yarpen Zigrin
  • Ida Emean - Ida Emean aep Sivney

• Filavandrel - 3 to 4
  • Aglais - 9 to 8; the ressurected special card now banishes
  • Iorveth - 7; deal 7 damage to 6; deal 8 damage / no clarification if he buffs disloyals
  • Iorveth: Meditation - now restricted to units on the same row
  • Yarpen Zigrin - 7 to 8
  • Morenn - 9; 5 damage to 8; 7 damage
  • Dwarven Mercenary - 7; boost by 4 to 8; boost by 3
  • Vrihedd Dragoon - no longer boosts spies
  • Mahakam Guard - 9; boost by 3 to 4; boost by 7
  • Half-Elf Hunter - now spawns a doomed base copy
  • Dwarven Skirmisher - now boost instead of strenghtens
  • Elven Scout - 2 to 1
  • Dwarven Agitator - 2 to 1

Skellige
  • Eist - Eist Tuirseach
  • Crach - Crach an Craite
  • Bran - Bran Tuirseach
  • Hjalmar - Hjalmar an Craite
  • Cerys - Cerys an Craite
  • Jutta - Jutta an Dimun
  • Svanrige - Svanrige Tuirseach
  • Donar - Donar an Hindar
  • Champion of Hov - no more restricted to duel a higher enemy.
  • Bronze card names are back
  • Svalblod tag supposingly changed to cultist

• Eist Tuirseach - 4 to 5
  • Hjalmar an Craite - 14 to 16 ( no change to the Lord of Undvik)
  • Vabjorn - Cultist tag instead of Svalblod
  • Ulfhedinn - 5 to 6
  • Hym - 4 to 3
  • Harald Houndsnouts Wilmar - NEW Deathwish: If it's your opponent's turn, Spawn a Bear on the opposite row. Spying.
  • Restore - ADJUSTED Return a Bronze or Silver Skellige unit from your graveyard to your hand, add the Doomed tag to it, and set its base power to 8. Then play a card. (Like it used to be a while ago, with adding the doomed tag the card)
  • Heymaey Flaminica - 9 to 10
  • Heymaey Skald - 8 to 9
  • an Craite Greatsword - 7 to 8
  • Raging Berserker - now also transforms when weakened (Raging Bear - 12) AND cultist tag instead of Svalblod
  • Berserker Marauder - tagged as cultist instead of Svalblod now
  • Savage Bear - tagged as cultist instead of Svalblod now
  • Tuirseach Veteran - Soldier tag (former Support)
  • Bone Talisman - 1st option: Ressurect a Bronze beast or Cult unit (instead of Beast or Svalblod; just a name change of the term I suppose)

Miscellaneous
  • The feature of moving cards in the preview screen is back.
  • Lord of Undvik now spawns rightmost instead of leftmost on the opposite row of Hjalmar an Craite
  • 'wherever they are' still doesn't include the graveyard and the unused Leader
  • Silver spies (CA spies) do now have a 1 turn timer and can only trigger their ability once.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that the play test is bringing some unexpected changes. Like all the names back..next we need rows / preferred rows back.I'm sorry if I go off sometimes just want the game to be great

So does only Restore add "doomed" tag or other resurrect effects as well?

Unless they also changed GIgni, I think that's a buff to Ciri:Nova.

I've merged the older "unofficial" patch notes thread into the official PTR one. Makes it easier to discusses all things related to the upcoming patch.

Mancoon1980;n10364522 said:
I'm glad to hear that the play test is bringing some unexpected changes. Like all the names back..next we need rows / preferred rows back.I'm sorry if I go off sometimes just want the game to be great

We need rows but not as heavy as they were. There should be about half and half row bound and agile units so rows will matter if you can predict your opponents cards but are not a stuck to this row thing
Also with rows mattering again its mandatory that the unit limit per row is removed again or at least doubled

PS: A fix on adda getting both lubberkin and botchling out of your deck when you create one of them is needed

Eliadann;n10364782 said:
I simply cannot believe they didn´t touch Slave Driver nor Oinment

Hmm? What are you talking about? Both of them received (small) nerfs.

Slave Driver went from 2 strength down to 1 and Ointment no longer gives the choice of healing - only resurrect a unit with 5 or less power.

Eliadann;n10364782 said:
I simply cannot believe they didn´t touch Slave Driver nor Oinment
err go check again, slave driver down to 1, ointment got nerfed to revive unit with 5 or less only (i found that out hardway)..
or is it becuase u came prepared for ng and getting your own units used against you :D

Some really nice changes. I'm so glad the long names are back. Hopefully they change back Enforces to how they used to be though and we'll be gucci.

Last edited:
Top Bottom