Removing Weather Spawn from the Mages?

+
Removing Weather Spawn from the Mages?

Weather spawn is very strong, especially in the Arena mode right now. I can say that mages are the MVPs and first pick in this mode since lots of people abuse weather. It's kind of annoying when people just try to spawn weathers with the mages. I think it would be a more pleasant situation if the mage cannot spawn weather.

Like weather is just not a thing atm. Yeah there is a single one archetype in monsters that plays weather extensively but that really is about it. Just go include your 2-4 weather answers and be done with the issue. Your deck should have get rekt by weather if you dont have answers. If they play their mage to spawn weather you can play yours to despawn the weather. This is just no problem

For arena just play everything in a single row simple and effective

Last edited:
These cards work well in Casual and Ranked and I doubt many people would consider them OP there.
I would hate to see any balanced card being nerfed only because of Arena.

Besides, weather spam can always happen in Arena, with or without Silver mages.

Yes, mages are pretty much instant picks in Arena -- but I don't see why they should be changed because of that. They've had their weather spawn (and clear) options ever since open beta started.

Removing the weather just because it's strong in the Arena wouldn't make much sense, in my opinion. The cards are played in constructed decks as well, after all, and those decks would get an undeserved nerf.

Also, in my limited Arena experience I've seen way more Silver mages used for weather clear or whatever spell they have than spawning weather.

Silver mages are some of the best designed cards in Gwent. This is proven by the fact they have not changed since the OBT start (well, CDPR changed a type of weather each mage spawns, but that was due to weather general changes) and everybody is happy with them.

Despite the great design, silver mages are not an auto-include in constructed, which is another indication of how balanced these cards are. Not too strong, not too weak, good to support certain archetypes and a great tech card.

Last edited:
Yeah, Arena has a lot of weather going on, but I don't think it's a problem. I always try to get something in my deck that can clear the weather, or change it to boons. If I don't get any, I just try to avoid spreading my units all over the board.

I also try to pick silver mages as much as possible, but I mostly use them for thunders, since most people are able to clear the weather effects before it does any proper damage.

pthieu1986;n10611232 said:
I can say that mages are the MVPs and first pick in this mode since lots of people abuse weather

I just wonder when playing a weather card suddenly became "abusing weather".

TrompeLaMort;n10616262 said:
I just wonder when playing a weather card suddenly became "abusing weather".

Not just one. I play Arena a lot and the situation reminds me of the spy war two months ago. People spam weather MAINLY with the mages; some people even run +2 mages, the Hym, Caretaker, to spam weather with the mages. That's why I say abuse.

lol

You haven't seen real weather spam around here. We had whole metas committed to this.

Normal ranked should have a priority over arena, and as the silver mages are alright in ranked, I don't see a reason to change them just because they are stronger than other cards in arena.
Furthermore, it makes sense from a gameplay point of few, to have weather included for those, as they can not only counter hazards this way, but also boons.
The only alternative would be to give them the special card that clears boons and damages a row by 2.
Also, powerwise they aren't that strong. The bronze cards that can play weather are all 3 or 4 strength, which is a point weaker then the mages, at worst.

The bigger problem that I see is, that most weather effects on them are completly unrelated to the factions and offer no synergy.
MO would profit a lot more from Fog, Frost, or Blood Moon.
NR would profit at least a bit more from Frost, due to the Bloody Baron.
NG would profit more from something but Frost, so they don't have to fear to kill their own spies.
SK axemen would profit more from Rain.
ST doesn't profit by any of them the same way in my opinion.

It might be possible that this reduction of synergies is intentional, but still it isn't that great.

And for some of the mages their weather effects are quite weird. Vanhemar is supposed to be a flame mage. Why does he have Frost?
Gremist had never anything to do with Frost either and I don't see any connection between Ida and Fog.
At the other hand, Rain fits perfectly for the Abaya and Dethmold.

But as we have 5 bronze effects that can clear boons on the enemy side, wouldn't it be more interesting to give each mage his own unique effect? Rain (Dethmold), Fog (Ida), Spores (Gremist), Frost (Vanhemar), Blood Moon (Abbaya)?

Top Bottom