The Politics of The Witcher 2. Part 6: Why do they fight?

+
It would be easier for readability on your blog to have e.g white text because right now it's blue and blue.

While I don't have problems to read it would be more convenient to have more contrast. :)

Fantastic, I think it's the summation that grabs me most of all, these are very human stories even when operating at the most machiavellian level.

I fixed the image, but I can't seem to be able to change the font, I tried changing the code but nothing happened. If any of you know how, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your comments!

As a student studying politics and sociology, the politics and interactions of factions in the Witcher 2, made it have a great backdrop for the story as a whole. Great work!

stuboy52 said:
As a student studying politics and sociology, the politics and interactions of factions in the Witcher 2, made it have a great backdrop for the story as a whole. Great work!

The game is a treat for people like us (studied poli sci and history)!

dude awesome! part 6? :eek: I seem to have missed part 5! last I read (and re-blogged of course) was part 4 with the chess master.
well can you send me on facebook chat/inbox both these links? I'll set both up soon enough :)

Enjoyable read KOP. Phillipa's part is a bit confusing to me, but it's been a long time since my last playthrough. I totally agree about Radovid being by far the most lawful of the lot and yet I never really thought about it that way while playing. Great observations overall.

slimgrin said:
Enjoyable read KOP. Phillipa's part is a bit confusing to me, but it's been a long time since my last playthrough. I totally agree about Radovid being by far the most lawful of the lot and yet I never really thought about it that way while playing. Great observations overall.

The idea is that Philippa is using international law, or the closest thing there is to international law in their setting, while being the real power behind the law. Her ability to appoint her allies as royal advisers would spread her influence throughout the North, all the while it being perfectly legal.

KnightofPhoenix said:
The idea is that Philippa is using international law, or the closest thing there is to international law in their setting, while being the real power behind the law. Her ability to appoint her allies as royal advisers would spread her influence throughout the North, all the while it being perfectly legal.

Ok, that makes sense. Grand puppeteer would have been my title for her. Pretty much the same thing I guess.

Awesome series, thank you for your work! It really helps to understand the story even more.
Some links to the pictures in the first articles seem to be broken. Would you fix those please? :3

Ysmirson said:
Awesome series, thank you for your work! It really helps to understand the story even more.
Some links to the pictures in the first articles seem to be broken. Would you fix those please? :3

They are working fine for me?

I recommend reading my articles on tumblr, they are better.
Here's part 1.

Fun read. I found the discussion on Loredo to be especially interesting, since the average person wouldn't see him as a "charismatic leader". It makes sense once you look at it from the perspective of the people of Flotsam, as opposed to the perspective shown in the game through Geralt's eyes.

I like it, only I strongly disagree about Philippa. You present a very idealistic interpretation of her actions. Nowhere she claimed or indicated that the wanted an egalitarian state. Does she want to rule? Sure. Does she recognize any kind of binding law, human or divine? No way in hell. Rational-legal leadership, where authority is based on laws and institutions above individuals, sounds like a limitation on leader, not a total dictatorship where the leader is the one who writes all the laws.

I value Philippa because she is a HERO in an Ancient Greek sense, not somebody who goes beyond a call of duty, as we understand it now, but a person who commits extraordinary acts of any kind (good or evil, does not matter), of great magnitude, and thus is not bound by any mortal law. Philippa walks over every law and rule, pisses on any divine right, betrays trust and enslaves a person she supposedly protects. (As I believe) she unleashes a curse to save time, and thus endangers thousands of lives. Her bid for a council is not for a sake of common good, and protection of all, as our international law are. For her it is a way to influence as many people as possible. She is more akin to a mad scientist bent on world domination.

She is not a ruler, btw, but a state official who conspired against and betrayed her sovereign, Saskia. No group of people, either in Redania or Vergen, consider her worthy of leadership. She lost her influence in Redania, and can't really rule in Vergen unless she controls Saskia. She manipulates events and people behind the scene, but it does not make a leader.

She is magnificent in her purely amoral, crystalline way to do things. But what would happen if she manages to reach her goal? Will she be benevolent and good for the land, or will she become an ultimate tyrant? I don't really know.

Her support is Saskia is a support of her egalitarian ideals. For her own purposes? Sure, so did most egalitarian reforms in history happen. Meritocratic statesmen were so generally to cultivate loyalty around them and weaken their opposition, generally the nobility or elite. Furthermore, someone who is as rational as her would obviously not in any way support racism. She's too pragmatic to be hateful based on superficial differences.

As I have emphasized, both she and Radovid *use* the law but don't genuinely respect it, what they are interested about is the *appearance of abiding by the law* which is why I made sure to add that neither of them fulfill the rational-legal ideal type. Both however are the closest examples to that ideal type in the game.

I do believe her vision was the best one, and yes I believe that she genuinely wanted to bring peace and prosperity to the North, only because someone of her pride would not settle with ruling over a backwater. People's motivations are too complex to impose a manichean dichotomy on them. One can be perfectly ambitious and still want to benefit the common good, and I think this is the case for mostly everyone in the game including Henselt.

Philippa is the real ruler behind the scenes, and she is a leader of the Lodge. People wouldn't accept her because she is a mage but I strongly believe that she would have made a great leader under different circumstances. She is also a stateswoman, rivaled only by Radovid. It is in that sense that I apply the Weberian classification of authority.

My portrayal of her is not idealistic at all, it is rather nuanced and multi-faceted. "Mad scientist bent on world domination" is the simplistic interpretation here that does not do her or CDPR justice.

Well, having the great North would not inevitably lead to having happy and content population. As Druon said about king Phillip (I believe he took it from chronicles), he made France a great state, and french people - most miserable. Radovid is definitely of this type of leader, and Philippa, probably, as well.

Who knows those mad scientists, may be they would also be very benevolent because wouldn't want to be kings of ruins? I believe they are not really called "mad" because they are insane, simply they have mad ambitions. Philippa's acting in shadows, with use of the most powerful magic (similar to science and technology), isn't it similar in approach? With the goal of a world domination by Philippa, or by a cabal of equally gifted individuals. They want to control it all, not just the north, but Nilfgaard as well.

This is not what Druon said, but rather what people used to say. In fact he showed how Philip IV's reign was more balanced, that a lot of people owed him their happiness and freedom, and that people especially longed for him after he died considering his shitty successors. I am not saying that Philippa would genuinely care about the welfare of the people. But considering her intimate knowledge of the dangers of a persecuted and hungry population, she would by pragmatism make sure they have no reason to be explicitly discontent.

No it's not a similar approach, "mad scientist" is a comic book trope. What you can say is that Philippa has the ambition level of a megalomaniac, which is also the case with Radovid and most especially Emhyr and Nilfgaard in general. Same could be said really about a lot of great leaders who benefited the common good, and I am thinking about Augustus in particular.

Top Bottom