Mesh and Anime Buffer files - how do they work in W3?

+

Guest 3841499

Mesh and Anime Buffer files - how do they work in W3?

What I know about buffer files comes from here - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb147196(v=vs.85).aspx

However, what I'd like to know is:
- Why is it necessary to pack VANILLA buffer files for vanilla mesh mods? Let's say you edited mesh properties and removed LOD levels (aside from level 0 of course). Why include buffer files? The game already comes with buffer files for that mesh. Doesn't that mean that the game will simply load vanilla buffer files? It makes sense when custom meshes are used, but not if the game compensates by loading vanilla meshes...
- How do you cook those "CRC Corrupt" meshes, like the ones HalkHogan has in HDRP 4.8? You need to cook those meshes to get buffer files for them and he has those, which means he cooked them somehow, yet CRC Corruption prevents cooking/creating buffer for those files when they are uncooked and attempted to recook with W3Oven. The only way I can think of is that they were not CRC Corrupt originally, then they were cooked, buffer files were created, then they were simply unpacked, edited with W3 Edit and repacked, which does not check for any CRC corruption. That's how you can have vanilla meshes with non-0 LOD levels removed and also have buffers. Simply unpack, not uncook, edit properties, and repack.
- What are animation buffers? They are definitely unnecessary for completely custom animation mods like Animations of Rivia. Does it make sense to pack buffer files with EDITED animation files, like E3 Dodge System? Wouldn't buffer files differ for edited content? For all we know, they may be the reason W2ANIM animation mods are so problematic. I don't think there's one that uses such a file and does not have problems (often quite major ones). Only Animations of Rivia does not have animation-related issues in the game, but it causes crash-log generation upon exiting the game, although does not cause any crashes. Can buffer files be created/cooked somehow? Cooking W2ANIM files with W3Oven does not generate buffer files. I think it's a custom CDPR tool or 3rd party tool that they use that we aren't going to get...

P.S. Moderators told me its totally cool to make multiple threads as long as they are on different topic and not excessive. Don't care for being a "wall-poster" because if you get down to very important details, there is no way around it. There's no way to write a Mod Merger "Merge-It-All" guide for Newbies without a ton of steps, even though it's a relatively simple process.

Guest 2364765

Anime buffer

willief23;n9884701 said:
traderain I have seen that w2converter program before. Helpful for viewing w2mesh files. But besides from that does it make anime buffer files?

You can use that code to do so and its anim or animation buffer not anime buffer.

MonarchX;n9885751 said:
Does that allow for cooking of CRC-Corrupt meshes?

You can code it to do so.

Guest 3841499

Well, if I have no idea how to code it, what then? There has to be a tutorial on how to do it and I don't mean basic cooking-with-bat tutorial..

​​​​​​

traderain I have no idea how to use that code. You seem to know your way around Witcher3 rare files but explaining on how to use this file is highly needed thanks :)

Guest 3841499

willief23;n9913711 said:
traderain I have no idea how to use that code. You seem to know your way around Witcher3 rare files but explaining on how to use this file is highly needed thanks :)

I noticed he (she?) is like a mysterious W3/Red Engine guru who knows it all, but gives out only pieces of info to torture people ;).

MonarchX;n9914321 said:
I noticed he (she?) is like a mysterious W3/Red Engine guru who knows it all, but gives out only pieces of info to torture people .

Or more like there is close to no one to make something out of that information. People here would probably need step-by-step guide to make something out of the information, while understanding nothing. And that's waste of time for this Redengine guru :)

Stop acting as if you are owed step-by-step guides or even new programmes. (Re-)writing the code obviously takes a lot of time and effort, and if you can’t do it yourself, maybe you should politely ask if somebody who does, would be willing to do so.

And, we're getting close to that point where the world starts getting covered in marshmallow, leaving the cries of deleted posts buried under mountains of incredible sweetness.

Did anyone have a polite request to send another member without personal judgments being hidden behind a thin veil of smileys -- fully prepared to graciously accept the answer, "Sorry, but no," if it is given?

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

Basic layout in laymans terms:

w2mesh/w2anim is just an elaborate config file which holds all information engine needs to know and pointers to the buffers.
Buffer files contain actually all mesh/animation data.

Modding any w2anims or w2mesh files requires you to include ALL corresponding .buffer files in the mod along with it or given animset or mesh will break.

There you go

skacikpl ya i know that both those files need the buffer files to have less glitches or bugs. But some of them dont come with buffer files. For example man_geralt_petard and man_geralt_signs.w2anims dont have buffer files for them. I tried using mod merger and Quick ModToolV6.3 to make the mod but no buffer files get made. And the uncooked vanilla game files dont have the buffer files as well.

Guest 3841499

It was also my guess that buffer files hold the key info, but some mesh mods come without buffer files, yet use from-scratch visibly-functional meshes, which means vanilla buffer files do not apply to them...

Guest 3841499

It is still unknown whether edited w2anims files require their own buffer files.

MonarchX most likely yes they do because i made some edits to 2 w2anims files and around 1.5 to 2 hours in i noticed the floating people bug it happened while on a cutscene in HoS lol. I deleted the files and now only have the w2behaviour file for speeding up geralts running and dodge and no problems since then. Also I sent you those tga files.

Top Bottom