Epic combat music not starting?

+

Guest 3841499

Epic combat music not starting?

I noticed in my GOTY edition that the epic battle/combat music rarely starts. Is that a bug? There is supposedly a mod that fixes it, but it also causes other problems...

The music will scale to the situation at hand. Mods that effect experience, skills, damage values, etc. may alter values used by the audio system and prevent certain tracks from triggering.

I know a few mod attempts were made, but I'm not sure how well they fared. TW3's music system is embedded in the engine, from what I understand, so altering it is nearly impossible.

Could be other things as well. FPS in excess of 60 can cause the frames the system will use to check for audio cues to be dropped. It's also possible that certain tracks can't play if your audio sample rate is too high. Try setting it to 16-bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) if it's not already.

On the whole, I rarely ever got the epic music on my playthroughs. Normally, playing at or around recommended level won't trigger it...and if I did hear it, it usually meant that some wyvern 20+ levels above mine was about to atomize my face. So, I never got to hear it much, nor very often.

Guest 3841499

Must be mods because vanilla game played those tracks all the time...

There is but one way to be sure...;) (I often feel that, once I start, I spend far more time modding games than actually playing them...)

Guest 3841499

No shit! In fact, the reason I picked Witcher 3 to modify was because unlike Skyrim and Fallout 4, it does not have as many mods, but unfortunately for my private life, I also got into actual modding for Witcher 3. Thank God, I am not ambitious in that regard and don't know how to script!

MonarchX;n10328792 said:
...because unlike Skyrim and Fallout 4, it does not have as many mods...

And for fair reason. I would not call the modding tools for TW3 "friendly"...exactly. Still, the creativity and ingenuity of modding communities never ceases to impress me. It's awesome what people manage to achieve once their hearts are set on a goal.

MonarchX;n10328792 said:
Thank God, I am not ambitious in that regard and don't know how to script!

Meh. In my experience, scripting just adds needless layers of complexity. If someone gets to that stage -- they should simply tackle coding a program / tool / game of their own! (That's a bit overblown, but the sentiment is pure.)

Guest 3847602

If you want to force the game to always play those "battle songs" in their entirety (only the beginning of the song is played when you're fighting enemies far below your current level) do this:
Copy the file "sound.ws" located in "witcher3directory\content\content0\scripts\engine" to destination: "witcher3directory\mods\modsomething\content\scripts\engine".
Open the copied file with notepad, find the line totalWeight = 0.0; and change it to totalWeight = 100.0;
Save and exit.

ooodrin;n10341062 said:
If you want to force the game to always play those "battle songs" in their entirety (only the beginning of the song is played when you're fighting enemies far below your current level) do this:
Copy the file "sound.ws" located in "witcher3directory\content\content0\scripts\engine" to destination: "witcher3directory\mods\modsomething\content\scripts\engine".
Open the copied file with notepad, find the line totalWeight = 0.0; and change it to totalWeight = 100.0;
Save and exit.

Try this ^.

It is coming from the same person who came up with: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...st-bug-possible-spoiler?p=2708233#post2708233

(I still remember that, and I still laugh about it! :D)

Guest 3841499

Thanks! I also got this mod MusicTW updated by WGhost and then another similar one that point to sound_threat_settings.csv with values:
soundsound values
threatWeight1
levelWeight1
tweakWeight0.02
Which mod is better? This one is supposedly is only for fixing NG+ and NG++.

It edits that sound.ws script too and in there there are lines:
monsterHunt = false;
monster = false;
totalWeight = 100000.0;

However, the script part comes from WGhost update and the other bundle with sound_threat_settings.csv come from a different, older mod. I sort of put them together... Not sure which one to use or both?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3847602

MonarchX;n10346902 said:
Thanks! I also got this mod MusicTW updated by WGhost and then another similar one that point to sound_threat_settings.csv with values:
soundsound values
threatWeight1
levelWeight1
tweakWeight0.02
Which mod is better? This one is supposedly is only for fixing NG+ and NG++.

It edits that sound.ws script too and in there there are lines:
monsterHunt = false;
monster = false;
totalWeight = 100000.0;

However, the script part comes from WGhost update and the other bundle with sound_threat_settings.csv come from a different, older mod. I sort of put them together... Not sure which one to use or both?

This method worked for me during my NG and NG+ playthroughs. Can't say anything about balance/gameplay tweaking mods (NG++, GMode or W3EE), it might work, it might not. Try it yourself by fighting some low-level enemies, good places for testing it would be:
- drowners at Crookback Bog
- ghouls at Fyke Isle
- bandits around Drahim Castle
- nekkers to the west of House of Respite

If you can hear vocals in "Steel for Humans", "Silver for Monsters" and "Song of the Sword-Dancer" then it works. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom