Constant crashes in Chapter 1

+
Constant crashes in Chapter 1

So there were no problems in the prologue, but now I get constant crashes in Chapter 1, mostly when saving a game. Had to turn autosave off, but it crashes with F5 too. It also crashes almost every time when the intro of Chapter 1 is playing. Skipping helps, but it's still not right. I have Enhanced Edition in Steam. I've tried a number of things:
1) Reinstalled the game(and DirectX)
2) Verified integrity of game cache
3) Launched a game as administrator
4) Turned off Steam Overlay, tried offline mode
5) Changed graphical settings, tried playing in a window
6) Started a new game twice

My specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770T-UD3P s.AM3
Processor: AMD Phenom II 965 3,4GHz Black Edition
Memory: DDR3 2x2GB CMS3-1600C9 Corsair
Graphics: 1GB Club3D HD4890 Superclocked
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX
Power: PSU 750W Chieftec CFT-750-14C
Resolution: 1680 x 1050(16:10)

Sorry if I forgot to mention something important and hope someone can help me out.

I've had problems with a 32-bit windows on previous games (not The Witcher specifically) perhaps change to a 64-bit? Don't do anything til someone confirms though; I'm just saying from past experience.

One thing you can try is the 3 GB switch . With 7 it`s simple
Open Command prompt as administrator and copy this and paste in the dialog box
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

Another thing is that witcher 1 usually doesn`t handle overclocked cards very well including factory overclocked . I believe the clocks for a standard 4890 .
Core clock - 850
Memory clock - 1950 (3900)
Some programs will record the memory clock at half which is why I posted 1950 .

You said this happens mostly when saving, usually it's caused by high load over your system.
lower your graphic settings to ease her off. it could also be some bug with overclocking.

Edit: I'm not sure about the latter.

BlackLeopard said:
You said this happens mostly when saving, usually it's caused by high load over your system.
lower your graphic settings to ease her off. it could also be some bug with overclocking.

Edit: I'm not sure about the latter.

I forgot to mention this. If I change graphics to anything except highest, I have texture glitches.
http://gyazo.com/ef1575adfa8ec1e5c375639dd720acf5

Tommy said:
One thing you can try is the 3 GB switch . With 7 it`s simple
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

Another thing is that witcher 1 usually doesn`t handle overclocked cards very well including factory overclocked . I believe the clocks for a standard 4890 .
Core clock - 850
Memory clock - 1950 (3900)
Some programs will record the memory clock at half which is why I posted 1950 .

After I changed this bcdedit I have graphical glitches on any settings!

Kinomaks said:
After I changed this bcdedit I have graphical glitches on any settings!
Hmm...strange . you can change it back with no problem
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048

Kinomaks said:
I forgot to mention this. If I change graphics to anything except highest, I have texture glitches.
http://gyazo.com/ef1575adfa8ec1e5c375639dd720acf5

Make sure that all 3D settings are set to application control in Catalyst Control Center and enabling the adaptive anti aliasing might help about corrupted textures.
I've seen some conflicts in old games regarding anti aliasing very similar to that image.

besides you can try lowering the game resolution without changing graphic effects in order to avoid bad textures and lowering the system's load.

I am such an idiot. The thing is that's not my first playthrough. I had played the game a few years ago and I've installed some mods. I've deleted the game then, but of course Steam didn't delete those mods. So now I had them running without even noticing and they crashed the game. Now it just works the way it should. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for such a great and fast support!

Kinomaks said:
I am such an idiot. The thing is that's not my first playthrough. I had played the game a few years ago and I've installed some mods. I've deleted the game then, but of course Steam didn't delete those mods. So now I had them running without even noticing and they crashed the game. Now it just works the way it should. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for such a great and fast support!
As long as the game works as it should then no time was wasted . :)

Top Bottom