[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Thanks, that put the last pebble on the plate of getting a refund. Originally I wanted to wait another week before requesting a refund, maybe it became playable with some patches, but knowing the game is flawed also in this respect... will buy it for 20$ in a couple of years, maybe.

I never preordered anything in 32 years, my first experience is not positive at all.

I love when things have the balls to make a sad ending. I have full respect for any medium that goes against what the mainstream demand is a satisfactory conclusion. I guess that's why I love movies like the Mist etc as well. So seeing this thread has been the biggest selling point for me lol (skipping the actual story related stuff ofc).

Actually it might becoming mainstream. Old RPG has black and white endings. Then players demand grey ending because black and white too mainstream, and now as if reality is not miserable enough, more and more people want bad ending.

Are they really just 6 sad endings? Confirmed by datamine?

No hidden true ending base on your decisions in side quests?
around 20 hours to beat. That said, that only gave me access to three distinct endings, all of which were enjoyable but offered less control over the outcome than I would have expected. It was only after reloading a save from before the point of no return and spending another 20 hours playing through side missions, After putting roughly 45 hours into Cyberpunk 2077, I was able to beat it seven different ways, including three drastically different final missions and five wildly different but satisfying endings after them,

that said, go find the fixer you didnt meet yet

The problem is the main plot quickly writes itself into a very dark corner, with no realistic option possible that undoes the damage V sustains.

The player's situation is written as unsalvageable. Their brain has been half-destroyed by nanites, can no longer survive without the chip connected and any 'escape route' (e.g. creating an engram of V and copying that to the chip, another brain, or the internet, etc) will only rescue a new COPY of V, with tthe original oragnic-brained version still dying.

All roads lead to the destruction of V's 'soul'. The only way around this would be to have a miracle doctor appear who can somehow repair V's brain, reversing the 'artificial dementia' V is suffering from and allowing the chip to be removed plus Johnny's engram deleted.

There's just no way to introduce a happy resolution like that without it feeling like a 'magical' plot twist that breaks the rules of how V's predicament is set up.

In short, the dark endings are just symptoms of a very dark premise. If V's situation had been explained differently - i.e. their organic brain is still physically fine but its autonomy is just being usurped by the chip's connection, then the writers would have had a lot more wiggle room to include happier endings.

In the end, the plot is very similar to The Fly. There's no winning path for Dr. Brundle's original self, only for a viable copy or hybrid that leaves the doomed original behind.

You realize thatn "nanites" that destroyed V brain are "magical"? So easly you could introduce nanite tratment that Arasoka had prepared for situation like that and you get at the end- maybe to keep it Cyberpunk - you betray everyone at the end for cure for yourself?

Don't tell me it can't be done where whole plot is around "magical" chip with soul inside (lol) that has nanites (lol) that ressurect (lol) you and rewrites your brain (lol).

Please...
Post automatically merged:

I love when things have the balls to make a sad ending. I have full respect for any medium that goes against what the mainstream demand is a satisfactory conclusion. I guess that's why I love movies like the Mist etc as well. So seeing this thread has been the biggest selling point for me lol (skipping the actual story related stuff ofc).

I have nothing against grim dark ending for Cyberpunk game. But why all 7 endings?? You can have 4 grim dark, 2 grey and 1 happy.

Everybody win - you want your dark sad ending? You have 4 to chose from? Can't we have 1?

Me having happy ending does not in any way influence your experience with the game so don't be selifish.

jeez, i dropped the game right at the beginning of act 2, when silverhand threatens to kill v, guess i'm too soft for this, cuz it's totally look like rape, v can do nothing and that bastard keeps pushing her around, whispering threats in her ears... and then there's all these endings, ugh, we've already seen this in mass effect, that was so not cool
who in their right mind would think that unavoidable death of protagonist it's a good idea? what's the point in playing then?
what's the point in doing tons of sidequests, earn reputation, looking for awesome weapons and just die at the end, not cuz enemy was too strong, but just because some shit rewrites your mind and you can't stop it?

i only hope that there will be dlc that will add new ending, preferably happy one...

Spoilers I guess.

Why is every ending for this game so depressing? Why is there no 'good' ending? I honestly enjoyed the game up until you had to make a choice on how it ends, and honestly neither of the outcomes is satisfactory to me.

Your character basically has no way to survive the ending, except -maybe- with the nomad ending? It honestly feels like every ending tries to do the hollywood cliffhanger thing;

It kinda feels really bad that the character you made and got attached to over the course of the game has no option to use all the science in cyberpunk world to do something to cure themselves of what the biochip did to them over the course of the story. People just tell you its hopeless and either you die now or you die in a few months.

Why did it have to be this way? Idk maybe its in the spirit of cyberpunk world but I honestly didn't feel satisfied in how the game ended. Yes, I had seen all the endings. No, neither of them is a truly 'good' one, they are just different degrees of bad. Though I did enjoy the game and the story, I really wish there was a way for your character to either figure out a way to cure themselves, or -- if you get 100% relationship with Silverhand -- just harmlessly 'merge' yourselves and keep doing what you'd been doing, minus the glitches...

(Well when I said every ending I lied, I missed one, but I did google it and it seems like nothing is really different about it other than that its more challenging, but its basically just 'hardcore' silverhand ending you can do if you just do his normal path, your character still either has a few months to live or surrenders their body to Silverhand).

idk the end of the game just left me feeling sad and kinda disappointed. It's definitely not a mass effect situation where they need to patch the entire ending out and do it again, but... Meh? I expected at least one good conclusion to this story. Am I the only one who feels this way? Witcher 3 was pretty dark but it still had a great ending + an entire expansion that felt like a cheery adult fairy tale (blood and wine). Cyberpunk's endgame is just... Depression with a side of depression. And I don't think any of us really need -more- depression after 2020 ;/

Last edited:
registred here just to reply in this theme, lame english gang.

I'm glad CDP make really bold decision to make this endings.
"we lost everything
we had to pay the price"

I think all endings work well, even if V die anyway, becouse everthing have consequences, especially after shit V went to. It's cyberpunk story(not a childish disneyland), it's must be dark, but not "JUST BECOUSE", it must have reason to it.

Accept consequences - Adult choice. V make too many bad choices, he/she was a criminal, and after all of this V cant escape from responsibility. And this make this story more adult.

You realize thatn "nanites" that destroyed V brain are "magical"? So easly you could introduce nanite tratment that Arasoka had prepared for situation like that and you get at the end- maybe to keep it Cyberpunk - you betray everyone at the end for cure for yourself?

Don't tell me it can't be done where whole plot is around "magical" chip with soul inside (lol) that has nanites (lol) that ressurect (lol) you and rewrites your brain (lol).

Please...

Couple of things here:

1. The chip doesn't have a soul inside. That's the whole point. That's the meaning of Soulkiller and is what makes the story so dark. The reason why EVERY ending in this game is a doomed ending is because even in the happier paths (e.g. V leaves with the Nomads) V still gets Soulkiller used on them by Alt. Soulkiller kills people. It copies their "mind" into an engram. The moment Alt does that to V, the original organic-brain version of V is dead. It doesn't matter whether V's copied engram then gets put back into V's brain or not, neither does it matter if Johnny takes the body instead. V's "remaining six months of life" are completely irrelevant - those six months are for the copy of V that gets put back into V's brain. The original V is dead, no matter what happens. The instant that Alt applies Soulkiller to V just before the final choices are made, the real and original V dies and the player is left controlling a copied engram of V only.

2. Regarding the "magical" point, you're making a fundamental error regarding how fiction and suspension of disbelief work. Just because something is made up, doesn't mean that thing doesn't possess rules that have to be followed to avoid everything collapsing into nonsense. Just because the warp drive on the USS Enterprise is "magical" tech, that does not mean the Enterprise can travel at a speed of Warp -1. Negative warp speed makes no sense, given the rules of warp drive that are set up within the Star Trek universe.

In the case of Cyberpunk 2077, the player and V are both informed that V's brain is being destroyed. By the time we reach the end of the game, V's brain is so damaged that V will die immediately if the chip is disconnected even if Johnny is deleted. You can't just fix this with the wave of a magic wand - a skilled writer has to provide some kind of believable in-universe solution that can repair V's organic brain, removing the need to copy V into an engram (since that kills the original version of V). I'm not saying it's impossible to write a way out of this corner the game traps itself in, but it isn't easy since the story goes to great lengths to emphasise that reversing the organic brain damage is impossible.

Whatever someone writes, the important thing to remember is that there's no point adding a new chapter to the end of the story that extends V's six month lifespan. That lifespan only applies to the engram copy of V. The original V is already dead by that point in the story. If you want a truly happy ending, it needs to take place BEFORE Alt uses Soulkiller on V, otherwise it's meaningless.
Post automatically merged:

They will have to pull a Fallout 3 Broken Steel dlc where we can play after the main story. I hate games that won’t let me finish what I missed after the story ends. Please let us play after.

I followed the 'Nomad ending' then on the dam with Panam I found a way to jump down back into the city, refusing to use the car with her :D

Eventually the game reset me back to the top of the dam, but for a while i was able to pick up weapons and ammo, fight the cops, mess around near the little suburban area near the dam, etc.

Also once I was in the Panzer I tried driving back to Night City. Got as far as the main roads near the entrance, but then was reset again lol.

I think the canon ending for me is the Nomad path, except once I'm on the dam I just leap off it to my death, because I know I'm now just a copied engram of V and not the original version who existed throughout the rest of the game. By the time V reaches the dam, they are just as fake and souless as Johnny was. Death is preferable to continuing that kind of life.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's impossible to write a way out of this corner the game traps itself in, but it isn't easy since the story goes to great lengths to emphasise that reversing the organic brain damage is impossible.

The point of a story is to invoke a certain feeling in a player. If the point of Cyberpunk's story was to be depressing and stupid, it succeeded.

Consider this... Most of us play videogames for escapism, and that's why most videogame / movie / cartoon etc. stories focus on making the player / protagonist character special in some way. 10 years ago this story would make V special in -somehow- overcoming this through being "built different" / "suffering a trauma from the past that makes their brain resistant to this" (literally the plot of one of futurama episodes) or just being "such a good match for Silverhand that after a while it stops destroying and begins synchranizing". (I would actually love the latter to be an option, depending on how well you get along with our dear friend Keanu you can influence whether the story leads toward the chip destroying you or 'accepting' you.)

Heck cyberpunk does this, by making us the best damn mercenary night city had ever seen. A legend in the making who can take on an entire corporation with a bunch of friends. And then the hero dies of imaginary brain cancer? That's just bad writing.

There's examples of dark stories done exceptionally well without assassinating the protagonist's character -- literally and figuratively. Max Payne comes to mind. Yes, by the third game the man is a shell of his former self, slowly dying of alcoholism and ptsd, but despite all he keeps moving forward. That's what makes him a likable and legendary character.

The same can go for... (SPOILERS FOR Fallout: New Vegas):
The Courier (main character). You get shot in the head in the opening to this game, survive, and then later have the option to have sex with the guy who shot you and find out how pathetic he really is, and then just tell him to scram because he's such a weak little scumfuck he's not even worth murdering. Or of course you can go in and murder him and his entire gang. THAT is good storytelling. "Imaginary Technobabble Brain Cancer"... Isn't.

"The Prince had defeated the dragon, saved his queen and ruled the lands in peace, the end. ...until he died of stroke while having sex with a drunk hooker 2 months later". I fucking -hate- that we live in 'subversive writing' era and this kind of ending is just what you do now because 'hey dark shit sells even if it makes no god damn sense and doesn't satisfy almost anyone'. You can still be dark and have a satisfying resolution -without- reducing the main character to a corpse because you can't think of another way to raise stakes.

It's why the new star wars sucked. They took old characters and basically took a big stinking poo on all their accomplishments in the old movies for the sake of being 'dark' and 'edgy' because its mid-late 2010s now and its NOT A PHASE MOM!

In my opinion.

Last edited:
The point of a story is to invoke a certain feeling in a player. If the point of Cyberpunk's story was to be depressing and stupid, it succeeded.

Consider this... Most of us play videogames for escapism, and that's why most videogame / movie / cartoon etc. stories focus on making the player / protagonist character special in some way. 10 years ago this story would make V special in -somehow- overcoming this through being "built different" / "suffering a trauma from the past that makes their brain resistant to this" (literally the plot of one of futurama episodes) or just being "such a good match for Silverhand that after a while it stops destroying and begins synchranizing". (I would actually love the latter to be an option, depending on how well you get along with our dear friend Keanu you can influence whether the story leads toward the chip destroying you or 'accepting' you.)

Heck cyberpunk does this, by making us the best damn mercenary night city had ever seen. A legend in the making who can take on an entire corporation with a bunch of friends. And then the hero dies of imaginary brain cancer? That's just bad writing. There's examples of dark stories done exceptionally well without assassinating the protagonist's character -- literally and figuratively. Max Payne comes to mind. Yes, by the third game the man is a shell of his former self, slowly dying of alcoholism and ptsd, but despite all he keeps moving forward. That's what makes him a likable and legendary character.

"The Prince had defeated the dragon, saved his queen and ruled the lands in peace, the end. ...until he died of stroke while having sex with a drunk hooker 2 months later". I fucking -hate- that we live in 'subversive writing' era and this kind of ending is just what you do now because 'hey dark shit sells even if it makes no god damn sense and doesn't satisfy almost anyone'. You can still be dark and have a satisfying resolution -without- reducing the main character to a corpse because you can't think of another way to raise stakes.

It's why the new star wars sucked. They took old characters and basically took a big stinking poo on all their accomplishments in the old movies for the sake of being 'dark' and 'edgy' because its mid-late 2010s now and its NOT A PHASE MOM!

In my opinion.
i agree with this opinion. Maybe future dlcs fix this somehow. But i don't know how they achieve bec all endings just cut the story harsh. Plus there are 7 endings not like Witcher. i think the dlcs will take place in the middle or final stages of the game but not continue to main story. not like blood and wine if u get me.

You know the worst thing about this is it makes replays so much more bitter. I just started up my second play through and I just feel depressed. Before I thought there had to be some kind of hope at the end of the tunnel, but now it’s just a slow march towards death. It just zaps all of the joy out of everything.

You know the worst thing about this is it makes replays so much more bitter. I just started up my second play through and I just feel depressed. Before I thought there had to be some kind of hope at the end of the tunnel, but now it’s just a slow march towards death. It just zaps all of the joy out of everything.

Agreed. I made another character as well and I've just been focusing on enjoying the open world aspect, doing side quests and ignoring the heist. The game honestly feels like it should've been more of this. Open world roaming through this weird futuristic landscape doing odd jobs ala han solo / john wayne.

I'm actually having lots of fun experimenting with different builds, my first character being a fist fighter, and my second one being a revolver / hacker focus. The gameplay is great... But I just do not want to put the character I am having so much fun with through -this- story again.

Every ending so far has made it impossible for me to concieve how a DLC will continue V's story. Unless they add happier endings, it feels like everything I done was for nothing. Much like RDR2. I spent hours playing, romancing, buying cars, doing quests, and ultimately I feel like it was all for nothing.

Guest 4211861

Much like RDR2.
I say not enough like RDR2, that guy can do some good and find some meaning in his end, unlike here, where everything is pointless.

They said that "you can't save the world, you can only save yourself" - well no, you can't even do that, it was a lie.

I think I'm done with CDPR, just like with Bethesda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accept consequences - Adult choice. V make too many bad choices, he/she was a criminal, and after all of this V cant escape from responsibility. And this make this story more adult.

Accepting consequences of choices I didn't make is wildly different that accepting consequences of choices I made.
And have I had a choice, V wouldn't even have been fired from Arasaka to begins with, as I had seen everything coming and would have allied immediately with the one I was asked to kill.

I say not enough like RDR2, that guy can do some good and find some meaning in his end, unlike here, where everything is pointless.

They said that "you can't save the world, you can only save yourself" - well no, you can't even do that, it was a lie.
Ah man... guessing how RDR2 ends, but I enjoy that at least and seems fitting, this does not.

This is the main reason I wanted a refund. I thought other things could be fixed and things added, but I can't even continue the game? I got to reload a save?
I don't really find the point of different lifepaths anymore either now with just that.

Top Bottom