[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I guess the only thing I have left to add is that if you're ok with seeing how V2's life plays out then more power to you I guess, but as far as I'm concerned the only V I cared about is the one that gets erased with Soulkiller -- I don't see any potential DLC or alternate ending, for me personally, that can be fulfilling without avoiding Soulkiller altogether.
This is an ending that could be the one if some details were changed, because as yo use, everyone sees it differently, which fits the theme of the game. But yah, one happy ending would still be needed definetly.

That's where it sticks for me. Alt said 'consciousness', that word was used specifically. Not just your 'mind, thoughts, personality', but consciousness. If she hadn't said that word, it would been, for me, "That's not V, that's a copy, full stop."

But I guess this is the kind of philosophical question that makes me sit and ponder. Which is partially why I love stuff like GitS and I can appreciate CDPR for positing the question to begin with.
But then the question becomes what is a "recording" of a consciousness -- I did some musing on how the sense of self plays out in this whole thing just a couple pages back that I think you might find relevant.

yeah, I think we forget that the game is just a week old. and people seem to have forgotten or just don't know what a disaster TW2 was on launch - some people couldn't get it running because the game tried to fry their pc. I've played on a mid-tier system and had to replay the prologue again and again a dozen times because it kept freezing, lagging, crashing, and generally bugging out.

that said, back then in 2011 CDPR was at best an AA-studio, a far cry from what they are now. it was their first run with their own custom engine. and, honestly, the fanbase was much smaller and consisted mainly of far more devoted and forgiving people who came to play TW2 not because of outstanding marketing but because they had the pleasure to play TW1 in the late 00s. I'm one of them.

now I feel like CDPR themselves have forgotten where they've started. if you remember that post on reddit from presumably an ex-employee, there is a sentence there about how the management kept repeating that they are making "the game of the century". if nothing else out of that whole post, I believe this sentiment. pair this unhealthy sense of self-grandiosity with lackluster management and meddling from higher-ups we heard about post-TW3, and you get a recipe for disaster.

I totally agree that Cyberpunk has a great basis, and honestly, apart from missing customization features and the story, I find it nearly perfect for my taste. just yesterday I managed to run away from Scavengers after they kidnapped me by jumping from the balcony and then running through the streets, naked and with no guns or money, to my flat where I sentimentally stored V's original clothes, after which I proceeded to pick up trash until I had enough money to heal. I adore immersive sims, played most of them repeatedly for years, and not one of them ever gave me that experience and feeling of freedom to do what I want. just for that Cyberpunk is a awesome in my book - but it could and should be even better.
Wait, scavangers kidnapped you? Is that part of a side story? You see this is what I am so annoyed about. I keep finding out cool stuff about the game and gameplay, like that you can hide bodies in your own car trunk. But because of the ending it just feels so painful to touch my V again at that checkpoint just before the elevator. And with that making exploring the game and city all the more difficult.
Post automatically merged:

I guess the only thing I have left to add is that if you're ok with seeing how V2's life plays out then more power to you I guess, but as far as I'm concerned the only V I cared about is the one that gets erased with Soulkiller -- I don't see any potential DLC or alternate ending, for me personally, that can be fulfilling without avoiding Soulkiller altogether.
In the Arasaka ending you get a brain surgery that doesn't use the soulkiller. Granted you still die in 6 month. But without any tempering with your consciousness.

If I want to go in that rabbit hole I'll play that way. So next playthrough I'll find out on my own.
Great thing! Enjoy!

majorLeagues.png

yeah, I think we forget that the game is just a week old. and people seem to have forgotten or just don't know what a disaster TW2 was on launch - some people couldn't get it running because the game tried to fry their pc. I've played on a mid-tier system and had to replay the prologue again and again a dozen times because it kept freezing, lagging, crashing, and generally bugging out.

that said, back then in 2011 CDPR was at best an AA-studio, a far cry from what they are now. it was their first run with their own custom engine. and, honestly, the fanbase was much smaller and consisted mainly of far more devoted and forgiving people who came to play TW2 not because of outstanding marketing but because they had the pleasure to play TW1 in the late 00s. I'm one of them.

now I feel like CDPR themselves have forgotten where they've started. if you remember that post on reddit from presumably an ex-employee, there is a sentence there about how the management kept repeating that they are making "the game of the century". if nothing else out of that whole post, I believe this sentiment. pair this unhealthy sense of self-grandiosity with lackluster management and meddling from higher-ups we heard about post-TW3, and you get a recipe for disaster.

I totally agree that Cyberpunk has a great basis, and honestly, apart from missing customization features and the story, I find it nearly perfect for my taste. just yesterday I managed to run away from Scavengers after they kidnapped me by jumping from the balcony and then running through the streets, naked and with no guns or money, to my flat where I sentimentally stored V's original clothes, after which I proceeded to pick up trash until I had enough money to heal. I adore immersive sims, played most of them repeatedly for years, and not one of them ever gave me that experience and feeling of freedom to do what I want. just for that Cyberpunk is a awesome in my book - but it could and should be even better.
Yeah, I loved both Witcher 1 and 2 as well. 3 was a great ending to the trilogy. I actually played through 1 and 2 earlier this year. Still as good as ever (if you can get over 1's combat), I can only imagine what we could have gotten with the writing prowess we had then.

If I want to go in that rabbit hole I'll play that way. So next playthrough I'll find out on my own.
Jokes on you same ending! GOTCHA! :ohstopit:

"V wanted to be a legend."
Yeah, well the dialogue through act 1 is kind of weird. You can choose to have V excited about the major leagues, then V gets really jarring angry dialogue here about Jackie's major league. It's kind of a complete mess.

Regardless of my waxing philosophical, there is one thing I do know, my bigger takeaway from all of this.

CDPR has stated in their emergency call that they are aware that how the game has released has caused the 'loss of gamers' trust and reputation that they've been building for decades'

If they're solely focused on rebuilding that, like I hope they are, then they'll at least consider everything that's been said in this thread.

Wish I could go more into detail in this, but I finished a ten hour shift and my head is a little crispy.

Absolutely understandable.

Not to be a broken record but...my second suggestion in my original reply here (6 pages ago now, I think? Thread is growing fast!) was that right after the Johnny Engram first appears, V could go find his old Cyberware arm in the landfill and then graft it on, tricking the Relic into believing that the process is complete and that V has become Johnny. This would halt the damage and essentially put V in a condition where as long as she takes her meds, she'll live. It would even allow for the visions of Johnny to stick around and make sense, since he's still there, but the Relic is no longer eating her brain, basically.

This would, as I understand it, do what you're asking for. V would never interact with Soulkiller. She'd still have the Relic in her head, but the Relic isn't Soulkiller - it only puts data it, it doesn't remove it. It just so happens that by installing this new data, it has to overwrite what's already there.

Anyhow, it's a clean, lore-friendly solution that CDPR could implement with no impact on the rest of the game. It would simply terminate the remaining main quests and put the game in "free roam" mode, basically. And since you could, technically, do this any time prior to the "point of no return" then technically, it would only seal off the other endings, provided you wait late enough to do it.

Wait, scavangers kidnapped you? Is that part of a side story? You see this is what I am so annoyed about. I keep finding out cool stuff about the game and gameplay, like that you can hide bodies in your own car trunk. But because of the ending it just feels so painful to touch my V again at that checkpoint just before the elevator. And with that making exploring the game and city all the more difficult.

In the Arasaka ending you get a brain surgery that doesn't use the soulkiller. Granted you still die in 6 month. But without any tempering with your consciousness.

it's a side. a dude in Japan-town (I think? you meet there with Elizabeth in Bunraku quest) offers you to see some kind of transcendental braindance which can only be played on his device, and if you agree, you wake up in the same lair V and Jackie were raiding in the beginning with all your things stollen. Johnny says he's stuck in the head of the dumbest merc in NC, which actually made me chuckle.

Yeah, I loved both Witcher 1 and 2 as well. 3 was a great ending to the trilogy. I actually played through 1 and 2 earlier this year. Still as good as ever (if you can get over 1's combat), I can only imagine what we could have gotten with the writing prowess we had then.

probably a minority opinion, but I love TW1's combat system. it's so satisfying to find that perfect rhythm and just let Geralt do his thing, watching blood spilling all over the place. ah.

probably a minority opinion, but I love TW1's combat system. it's so satisfying to find that perfect rhythm and just let Geralt do his thing, watching blood spilling all over the place. ah.
Yeah, I just say that so people don't get the wrong idea. I don't think it's that bad, I don't think it's that good either. I've seen WAY worse from other games of the time though.

I love that! @BGM45
I might have to force myself to start a new playthrough with a fresh V to experience the side stories. I don't think I can touch my first V before DLCs or story fixes, but I can probably start a new story.

I love that! @BGM45
I might have to force myself to start a new playthrough with a fresh V to experience the side stories. I don't think I can touch my first V before DLCs or story fixes, but I can probably start a new story.
It's like I was saying earlier, you kind of have to get into the right mindset to play this again currently, after knowing how limited your choice actually is. It can still be played and enjoyed, it just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth thinking you actually had choice.

Top Bottom