The lack of 3rd person view

+
Why wouldn't they make another 3rd person game? This is new territory for them going first person and people are shitting on them for it and it's absolutely disgusting how they are being treated.
Why wouldn't they make another 3rd person game?? Well if they received no complaints about it why waste the time in doing third person when you have to animate your character. I couldn't tell you why they risked going into new territory with this game. The only thing everyone heard from them on this subject was they felt it would be a more immersive game experience in first person. People are trying to explain for them it wasn't immersive. Next time, maybe add both options to the game. If they cannot deal with constructive feedback, then they are in the wrong business.

Cutting 3rd person due to "immersion" is nothing but a bullshit, obviously 3rd person perspective requires more time and resources to be done with all animations, collisions and such.

Still I'm fine with 1st person if it's done decent, but it's not in this case. Animations are terrible, which is noticable even from 1st person perspective, shadows are mess, no reflections of V anywhere but scripted mirrors, melee combat is bad, guns wearing broke every body proportion, no clothing physics, long coats just plastic and stocked to legs, which I last time saw probably in Harry Potter games on PS1.

Why wouldn't they make another 3rd person game?? Well if they received no complaints about it why waste the time in doing third person when you have to animate your character. I couldn't tell you why they risked going into new territory with this game. The only thing everyone heard from them on this subject was they felt it would be a more immersive game experience in first person. People are trying to explain for them it wasn't immersive. Next time, maybe add both options to the game. If they cannot deal with constructive feedback, then they are in the wrong business.

Well, we know they're working on an MP game. Unless they plan on characters never visually seeing each other, they will have to animate models for TPP for players looking at other players.

I'm gonna quote myself just for a comprehensive overview of why they went FPP. Not trying to argue about it one way or the other, but this is what they've said about it over the past couple years (with references):

Cyberpunk 2077 will be mostly in first person perspective, with TPP in optionally while driving. For those concerned about seeing your customized V, you’ll also be able to see the player character in the inventory, in mirrors, very occasionally in cutscenes, and possibly in a planned photo mode. The photo mode will allow players to see V in third person, and players can also have V pose for photos while within this mode.

CDPR choose the first-person point of view for a few reasons. First, in the thick of action gameplay, it allows players to see things happening up close as the character, so that V can really interact with things in a visceral manner. Also, there were narrative-based considerations to make. The FPP camera helps to place the player into the interactive dialogue, the story and the environments that CDPR are creating. To really experience that verticality of Night City, you need a first-person perspective. Finally, the HUD is incorporated into the FPP so that V is seeing everything the player sees.

CDPR are aware that not everyone likes FPP. However they are firm in that decision. Having said that, they are very aware that there are a some people who can’t play first-person for a variety of reasons. CDPR is looking into offering difficulty options and sensibility options to hopefully manage to turn Cyberpunk 2077 in the first first-person game that some of those people will like, or that some will be able to play. For example, FOV will be adjustable for PC (no official word yet on consoles). There will also be options to disable bobble-head mode and motion blur on V's vision.

4. I check if a game can be played in 3rd person. If it's limited to 1st person then there is, more or less, 1 chance out of 5 that I will play it. Most of the times because 1st person games, taking longer then ±10 hours to beat, tends to get boring and monotone to me.
Generally, most first person games are generic shooters with a sub-par story. I grew up playing fps's, From Blake Stone, Wolfenstein series, Doom, Quake, Unreal, ect and while revolutionary for their time, are very generic and pretty boring. CDPR is the first first person game that I've played in years that brought me into the world. Granted, I'm a huge Cyberpunk 2020 fan and player so it was easy for me to immerse myself in Night City.

A few memorable first person shooters:
No One lives Forever 1 & 2. Best spy games ever. Also, is someone from the sound department a fan? The music in China Town sounds almost identical to the second game lol
Deus EX
Half-Life
Unreal

Most of us don't care about people asking for third person to be added. It's the demanding comments and jabs at the devs for not having it that are getting called out. If it was in the game, cool but it's not.

I'm gonna quote myself just for a comprehensive overview of why they went FPP. Not trying to argue about it one way or the other, but this is what they've said about it over the past couple years (with references):
Right....

Sounds like for immersion purposes to me, except for the interactive dialogue which could have easily been done in third person.

And honestly everything you said is as immersive as I actually paid attention. The like a cheap illusion it popped. You confuse the quest from "what I liked" to what this game does to make itself immersive.
And the answer is it doesnt and all the silly bugs and performance issues kills any progressed it managed despite the many, many short comings.
Again: Your Opinion. I know exactly what things make the game imersive for ME. I dont' confuse anything. Thank you.

Sounds like for immersion purposes to me, except for the interactive dialogue which could have easily been done in third person.
Except that the available dialogue options are dependent on what V is looking at. That would be annoying to do in TPP.

"Immersive" is subjective. That CDPR claimed that as a reason for not including 3PP is therefore a bit disingenuous. But it's also completely irrelevant, because 3PP is not just an aesthetic choice. Allowing a choice between first-person-perspective and third-person-perspective is an accessibility issue. A number of people have posted in this thread that they can't play 1PP games because they get nauseated, though it seems like most other people just skip on by those posts without comment. But imo this is perhaps the most significant reason for a future update to provide the option for 3PP. 3PP gives people with inner ear issues, vertigo, etc. a point of focus that allows them to play the game.

CDPR included multiple colorblind modes for people like me who have a hard time with the default colors. (Why is red always the default highlight color in video games? Red is the color more colorblind people find most difficult to see!) The colorblind modes aren't necessarily that well implemented -- IMO it would have been better for them to have done as in some other games and allow users to customize the colors used rather than simply provide a few presets, and even then the presets aren't applied uniformly and sometimes just stop working. But the point is that the colorblind modes are there, specifically to make the game more accessible to people with this common problem.

CDPR included the ability to increase the font size for subtitles for people with visual impairment. Or at least the ones at the bottom of the screen. The conversational subtitles that appear over people's heads might as well not be there as far as I'm concerned, since I have to be sitting on my coffee table three feet from my tv in order to read them. But CDPR at least put in some thought and effort into making the game more accessible to people with visual impairments.

And there's a significant number of gamers who don't play FPSes and other 1PP games not because they simply don't like the aesthetic, but because doing so makes them physically ill. I'm one of them. I remember back in the day playing GoldenEye with myfriends and having to stop every 15 minutes because that's as long as I could play until I was about to vomit. Even though I'm on my second playthough of CP2077, it's not because this problem has gotten any better for me. I have to take medicine before I can play it, and even then I can't play for more than an hour or so before I'm about to lose my lunch. I normally don't even bother to try 1PP games, because when I have tried them over the years, I haven't been able play them without becoming physically ill. The only reason I bought CP2077 is because CDPR impressed me so much with TW3. And I'm making myself sick playing it because there's still a good game underneath all of the bugs, missing content, and general crap that CDPR's management forced the developers to rush out before the holidays.

But no matter how much I might like that underlying game, I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone like myself who has an issue playing 1PP games. Because for a good number of people like myself, a game's perspective is an accessibility issue. And until CP2077 implements 3PP, the game simply isn't playable for that group of gamers. Skyrim is 9 years old and Bethesda games are notoriously buggy, but still Bethesda found a way to give gamers the option of 1PP or 3PP. Minecraft is 12 years old and was initially developed by basically one guy in his basement, but Notch still managed to provide gamers the option of perspective. Yes, adding 3PP would involve a lot of work on things like model animations and lighting, but CDPR has the capability and resources (especially considering how well CP2077 sold even with the refunds), and a significant portion of their player base has requested it. And for some of those people, the game simply isn't playable without it.

Because it's not just a preference. It's an accessibility issue.

Again: Your Opinion. I know exactly what things make the game imersive for ME. I dont' confuse anything. Thank you.

What are you talking about?
The point is they and you say they used first person only as a means of making the game more immersive even though nothing of what you explained or used as an example needed first person to be immersive.

This has nothing to do with subjective opinion. Its all about objective truths.
Post automatically merged:

"Immersive" is subjective. That CDPR claimed that as a reason for not including 3PP is therefore a bit disingenuous. But it's also completely irrelevant, because 3PP is not just an aesthetic choice. Allowing a choice between first-person-perspective and third-person-perspective is an accessibility issue. A number of people have posted in this thread that they can't play 1PP games because they get nauseated, though it seems like most other people just skip on by those posts without comment. But imo this is perhaps the most significant reason for a future update to provide the option for 3PP. 3PP gives people with inner ear issues, vertigo, etc. a point of focus that allows them to play the game.

CDPR included multiple colorblind modes for people like me who have a hard time with the default colors. (Why is red always the default highlight color in video games? Red is the color more colorblind people find most difficult to see!) The colorblind modes aren't necessarily that well implemented -- IMO it would have been better for them to have done as in some other games and allow users to customize the colors used rather than simply provide a few presets, and even then the presets aren't applied uniformly and sometimes just stop working. But the point is that the colorblind modes are there, specifically to make the game more accessible to people with this common problem.

CDPR included the ability to increase the font size for subtitles for people with visual impairment. Or at least the ones at the bottom of the screen. The conversational subtitles that appear over people's heads might as well not be there as far as I'm concerned, since I have to be sitting on my coffee table three feet from my tv in order to read them. But CDPR at least put in some thought and effort into making the game more accessible to people with visual impairments.

And there's a significant number of gamers who don't play FPSes and other 1PP games not because they simply don't like the aesthetic, but because doing so makes them physically ill. I'm one of them. I remember back in the day playing GoldenEye with myfriends and having to stop every 15 minutes because that's as long as I could play until I was about to vomit. Even though I'm on my second playthough of CP2077, it's not because this problem has gotten any better for me. I have to take medicine before I can play it, and even then I can't play for more than an hour or so before I'm about to lose my lunch. I normally don't even bother to try 1PP games, because when I have tried them over the years, I haven't been able play them without becoming physically ill. The only reason I bought CP2077 is because CDPR impressed me so much with TW3. And I'm making myself sick playing it because there's still a good game underneath all of the bugs, missing content, and general crap that CDPR's management forced the developers to rush out before the holidays.

But no matter how much I might like that underlying game, I would absolutely not recommend it to anyone like myself who has an issue playing 1PP games. Because for a good number of people like myself, a game's perspective is an accessibility issue. And until CP2077 implements 3PP, the game simply isn't playable for that group of gamers. Skyrim is 9 years old and Bethesda games are notoriously buggy, but still Bethesda found a way to give gamers the option of 1PP or 3PP. Minecraft is 12 years old and was initially developed by basically one guy in his basement, but Notch still managed to provide gamers the option of perspective. Yes, adding 3PP would involve a lot of work on things like model animations and lighting, but CDPR has the capability and resources (especially considering how well CP2077 sold even with the refunds), and a significant portion of their player base has requested it. And for some of those people, the game simply isn't playable without it.

Because it's not just a preference. It's an accessibility issue.

A modder made the third person available by basically changing a false to a true.
It seems to work largely with no issues but the player character model is completely broken

Thats why CDPR completely removed reflective surfaces despite all the hype about ray tracing.

Last edited:
What are you talking about?
The point is they and you say they used first person only as a means of making the game more immersive even though nothing of what you explained or used as an example needed first person to be immersive.

This has nothing to do with subjective opinion. Its all about objective truths.
Dude. I really don't want to argue with you. You asked me what makes the game imersive for me. I gave you an answer. The first person thing was one of them. The dialog an interaction with other charakters would not feel as imersive for me, if the game was in third person. Maybe thats not the case for you, but for me. Thats also an objective truth.

Of course. I never said I spoke for others.

1. You guys trying to make a point/argue for third person won't win people over with 3rd person POV being more immersive...
2. ...it's simply not what most people think of when they think of something as being immersive...
3. ...when a game is supposed to have YOU as the player character...
1. I don't try to win anyone over, I'm just saying my piece here.
2. Are you the umpteenth person "keeping statistics"?
3. This one I've kept apart from previous argument on purpose. I'm sure many gamers will never see themselves as the protagonist. Some people do, and some people just don't.
Yes, I know whole books were written about it past 2-3 years. That's why thousands of contradictory messages were, and still are, posted on forums like these. That's because many people don't like to be lectured how they should immerse in a game. I Add to this that I also dissaprove of people cursing the game and its developers.

Sorry for straying off-topic but i do wish 'cut scenes' could have made the final version of the game. Though possibly an immersion breaker, the trailer of V. and Jackie doing The Rescue mission and seeing V.'s facial expressions looked wonderful!

V is in TPP cutscenes a couple times in the game. Most notably in some of the epilogues.

Its really only the epilogues. So 5(?) TPP cutscenes... Maybe you could also count the scene after the life path intro... 3 secs in the mirror...

Its really only the epilogues. So 5(?) TPP cutscenes... Maybe you could also count the scene after the life path intro... 3 secs in the mirror...
Yeah the other one I would count is the Prologue cutscene, as portions are in TPP. But those are it so far as I know. I mean, he did say "very occasionally."

Top Bottom