Could the the full game of Witcher 1 be remaked in Red Engine Poll

+
Could the the full game of Witcher 1 be remaked in Red Engine Poll

I decided to start this thread was because I heard people talking about a Witcher 1 remake on these forums then I decided to post this thread and to try out a poll test on if people think its possible.

I only have intermediate modelling experience but I would be more then happy to join a team. I have played through The Witcher 1 and 2 I feel like there are things from the Witcher 1 that can be fixed if its remaked, and also that save transfer from the Witcher to the Witcher 2 can can be better improved with more previous consequence going over to The Witcher 2.

I recently read about the game leader for black mesa where he said it took over as leader for the game development early in the game then he said some people have experience in mods before but allot of people dident, that made me thinking about starting this thread.

Hm, interesting proposition. I have no experience concerning programming or engine related things so I couldn't tell you if it's possible or not. Just using common sense I'd say, yeah of course it's possible, anything is! Though in practice it might not be as simple.

I'd love to see the first Witcher in the RedEngine, with the awesome gameplay and everything! And I'm definitely interesting in helping out in case people actually decide to take on the task.

gab961111 said:
A huge team would be needed to do that but its possible.

Agreed.

The real trouble is the logistics of making it happen. RedKit isn't widely available, so there would be a decent amount of time spent just learning how to work with it. Also, TW1 is large enough that it would take quite a few people working for quite some time to make it happen. Mods are made in people's spare time with no return other than satisfaction, so that would be a major hurdle in a case like this. That isn't to say that it's a bad idea, it's just that one needs to be realistic.

It's been asked before a couple of times - the closest answer from CDPR was this

madBonsai said:
You're mad, you know

its a nice idea though considering the realistic amount of work and time needed, its almost impossible.

But im not very dissapointed with that actually, truth is, for me the original witcher still looks pretty damn good, we are not talking about a very very very old game.

All it needs is a serious texture mod and maybe some other aditions but the game looks and plays way too good for a remake to be fully worth it.

If CDPROJEKT RED would actually come out and say "hey guys we are thinking of doing a remake of the witcher in RED engine, do you want it or not?" i'd say HELL NO, i think its just a waste of resources, time, and its too soon.

When they develop an engine for the PS5 and XBOXwhatever then ill definitely take a remake of the then old, The Witcher.

I was replaying witcher 1 last time, and seriously? With little modding game is fine as it is.

edit: pardon for low res but imageshack...
It was originally in 1440x900 cause it's native res of my monitor and downsampling with sgssaa and msaa is not needed. Game looks like with ubersampling (ironically less jaggies than in witcher 2 without uber) turned on and runs at 60 fps. I added also some sweetfx with vibrance and sharpening, some locations are stunning but you can clearly see that models of people are cartoony. I kinda like that style, if only combat wasn't that repetetive, but most of the issues are fixed by FCR.

Geraltofbsas said:
its a nice idea though considering the realistic amount of work and time needed, its almost impossible.

But im not very dissapointed with that actually, truth is, for me the original witcher still looks pretty damn good, we are not talking about a very very very old game.

All it needs is a serious texture mod and maybe some other aditions but the game looks and plays way too good for a remake to be fully worth it.

If CDPROJEKT RED would actually come out and say "hey guys we are thinking of doing a remake of the witcher in RED engine, do you want it or not?" i'd say HELL NO, i think its just a waste of resources, time, and its too soon.

When they develop an engine for the PS5 and XBOXwhatever then ill definitely take a remake of the then old, The Witcher.

Well we could also improve more on the animation and combat in the game, I like the combat allot in the Witcher 1 its what I had hoped they would keep in The Witcher 2 also. Its just the huge visual upgrade from The Witcher 2 that put me a little off in the start of The Witcher 2 but after a while I got used to it, why it needed such a huge visual upgrade I don't get, the Witcher one visuals I fellt was good innof.

Improving more on the consequence from the save file to The Witcher 2 could also be in improved more, sure there where some consequences that had an impact from the Witcher 1 but what about all the friends of Geralt his other Witcher friends where did they go.

They might do it on 720 but if the PS4 is as hard to program for as the PS3 is then no way.

Sirnaq said:
I was replaying witcher 1 last time, and seriously? With little modding game is fine as it is.

edit: pardon for low res but imageshack...
It was originally in 1440x900 cause it's native res of my monitor and downsampling with sgssaa and msaa is not needed. Game looks like with ubersampling (ironically less jaggies than in witcher 2 without uber) turned on and runs at 60 fps. I added also some sweetfx with vibrance and sharpening, some locations are stunning but you can clearly see that models of people are cartoony. I kinda like that style, if only combat wasn't that repetetive, but most of the issues is fixed by FCR.

Looks nice do you have this texture pack installed:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-witcher-texturen-mod/downloads/the-witcher-texturen-mod

SeekerEternally said:
Looks nice do you have this texture pack installed:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-witcher-texturen-mod/downloads/the-witcher-texturen-mod
Nope, but downloading it. And will share results.
Can anyone suggest free image files storage that saves resolution of original?

Sirnaq said:
Can anyone suggest free image files storage that saves resolution of original?
Try minus.com or imgur.com.

As for the potential remake, it sounds like a lot of work, but not entirely impossible. What I want to know is, however, to which extent will we be able to manipulate the lighting. TW2 is a rather 'colourful' game, with high saturation and lots of bloom and bright sunlight. TW1 has a duller atmosphere (in the outdoors, I mean), I wonder if it can be replicated with REDkit (would be awesome if it's possible).

It would be a massive undertaking but I believe it can be done. Honestly, I would be incredibly excited to see the first one in the Red engine.

It would have to be another team taking it up with CDPR's permission I think. But damn it'd be cool to play TW1 with the RED engine.

Dona said:
TW1 has a duller atmosphere (in the outdoors, I mean), I wonder if it can be replicated with REDkit (would be awesome if it's possible).

I don't think dull is the word you were looking for. TW1 looks fantastic, like a hand-painted dark storybook. It is bleak, pale, dark and cold, which is probably where you were going. It is exciting and beautiful to look at though. This last bit takes me to my actual point: the real question about porting TW1 to RED Engine is, WHAT FOR?

The game systems implemented by these engines (CDPR's Aurora and RED Engine) are very different and while technically one could, with the RED kit, recreate the campaign, characters and storyline of TW1, it is very unnecessary. I think most features of TW1 are simply great, and the combat (which many dislike from TW1) suits the gameplay better. Visually, the game is and always will be beautiful. The two graphical approaches are different and cannot, should not, be compared.

Now, if they can replicate the grim, decadent atmosphere of TW1 for TW3, THAT would be fantastic!

Is it technically possible? Almost certainly. Is it humanly possible? Probably not.

Making something that big would be a huge amount of work, and that quantity of work is only done for love. But the people who love TW1 enough to put a lot of time into it love it as it is. Those who find the graphics or combat system of TW1 to be a deal-breaker mostly don't like the game enough to put in the amount of work that would be required to re-make it in the RED Engine.

I think TW1 is perfect as is. (Well, nearly perfect. I did make a dozen mods to fix things here and there. :D) I have nothing against a fan team's porting it to the RED Engine, if that floats their boat, but anyone who's willing to put in THAT much work probably wants to tell their own stories...

As a Developer for a mod team myself (Level Designer for PVKII) I can tell you that it's certainly possible when you start from scratch, but porting the game to a completely different engine would be problematic.

PVKII (the mod I work on) has been ported between engines, which was very time consuming, and that when we were only upgrading it to a later version of Valve's Source engine. I'm not familiar with the engines for the two Witcher games but the fact that they are made by two different studios (Bioware and CDPR) says enough. Porting that would probably take as much time as doing it from scratch, and be worse of.

Top Bottom