Vanilla or FCR 1.5

+
Vanilla or FCR 1.5

I've never played a witcher game before. Should I play this using the FCR mod straight off or play the vanilla until i get the basics then install the mod.

And any suggestions on the fcr difficulty to choose, which is challenging but not cheap

If you are a veteran gamer then you might try vanilla hard for your first run . FCR on it`s easiest setting is still harder the the hardest level of vanilla . Also since The Witcher is very worthy of multiple plays and FCR is recommended for a full game you wouldn`t be losing out on anything . Be sure and consult the readme that`s included with FCR .

I have some questions and some problems.

I have been playing the Witcher with the FCR mod, but I have now hit a wall.

I had no idea it was going to be so difficult (mainly unbalanced) but hey, I'm managing.

The point is that I can't find anywhere the vampire oil formula. I had a side quest I had to leave in the 3rd chapter because vampires are unbalanced and unbeatable without vampire oil.

Now though I have reached a main quest, in chapter IV, my firs meeting with a certain witcher and we have to fight vampires! They just don't die, no matter the damage! I need vampire oil but there's no where to be found!

It wasn't available in chapter 3 either! So I'm now stuck and I'm waiting some help from you people.

Also, I tried installing the book of all knowledge mod but it doesn't seem to work any more. Any advice on that maybe?

Many thanks in advance.

secondchildren said:
Vampire oil formula http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire_oil

Many thanks but I know about the link my friend.

The book you don't get until the end of chapter IV and there was no formula to be found in the sewers.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Guest 2081505

TalkShowHost said:

Try to buy the samum scroll from the hermit in the fields. It should contain the vampire oil recipe.

TalkShowHost said:
Many thanks but I know about the link my friend.

The book you don't get until the end of chapter IV and there was no formula to be found in the sewers.

Once you brew the correct oil and use it, the journal automatically recongnizes it and registers the formula. In this way you don't need to read any more book or scroll. That's why I linked it.

Also, at the bottom of that page, there is the "Source section". If you take a look at it, you can find where to find those related sources for the recipe.

Guest 2081505

Flash said:
Vampire oil recipe can be bought from Thaler in Chapter 2.

Yes. But..

Flash said:
Now though I have reached a main quest, in chapter IV, my firs meeting with a certain witcher and we have to fight vampires!

Thanks for the advice. Now let me offer some to people who are just starting this game and are thinking about FCR.

Don't use it. Simply don't. It's a valiant effort but it's dreadfully unbalanced mod, has no merits as far as gameplay goes and you will be dying more than playing. It doesn't take anything into proper consideration as far as gameplay goes and almost breaks the game. I'm now stuck at the Zeugl and there is no logical way to defeat it.

Most serious fights had me running around in circles because my Witcher died in 3 hits, no matter what I used. Bombs have almost no effect and the only thing that seems to matter is using the correct oil.

Again, valiant effort, but it's aimed at players who know all the fights inside out and always prepare the oils/potions needed. And it's still difficult.

It has destroyed the experience for me. It's my fault, I know, but I just thought I should warn others.

Cheers.

FCR is a very popular mod, but I think TalkShowHost is right about one thing: FCR is best used by experienced players. For people who are playing The Witcher for the very first time, I recommend that they play with few or no mods.

Corylea said:
FCR is a very popular mod, but I think TalkShowHost is right about one thing: FCR is best used by experienced players. For people who are playing The Witcher for the very first time, I recommend that they play with few or no mods.

This is not entirely true. I made 1 playthru of TW1 when it was released back in 2k7? Then when I bought TW2 and found out about the char import I felt compelled to play it agin to get a savegame to import into TW2. While browsing the mods here on the forums I stumbled across FCR and after reading the line "If you are the kind of player that enjoys old school boss fights where you have o retry 20+ time then this is the mod for you!". So I went ahead installed the mod and went straight for "The Witcher" difficulty setting. I have to add I'm a sucker for impossible difficulty modes and usually play any games on the highest difficulty setting on my 1st playthru.

The toughest fights for me were Saviola in the prologue, the Salamdra hideout in chapter 1 (when you first enter the building and are mmediatly surrounded by 5 mobs, no sword drawn, no sign loaded ...I prolly spent 3hrs trying to figure that fight out xD ) and the "Ghost House" in Ch 2. Apart from those the game was still not uber difficult.

A couple tips that might help ya:

• Ingi lvl 4 is OP and makes alot of encounters trivial (Fear in general is OP imho)
  • Be prepared at all times with potions and oils
  • mix your potions taking into account the secondary effects they can provide:
    • dominant rubeo: increases health regen for X hrs
    • dominant nigreo: +1 dmg for X hrs
    • dominant (the white stuff!) : reduced toxicity from swalloing potions
  • potions that you should have up most of the time when going into dungeons or anywhere where you expect lotsa combat: Swallow, Willow, Blizzard.
  • The ritual of life makes your life alot easier
  • When fighting, don't push too hard if you take 1 hit back off and and try o come at him from another angle. I dunno if this is broken or not but I have gotten the impression that depending on the angle from which you attack mobs never get a chance to retaliate.
  • Do not rely on mob attack animations to know when to dodge as they don't fire off all the time (this is intentional as not to break Geralts combat animations).
  • Always have your blades coated in the corresponding oil as some enemies are immune to damage if the correct oil is not applied like vampires, spectres some necrophages
  • As for the Zeugl use group style while you're surrounded by tentacles, when they're down get in Igni range and burn the fukker then while it's feared whack at it using the strong style. It should dive under again w/o getting a chance to bit you as it's bite can 1 shot you. If it should bug out an not dive again simply Igni it to death.
  • Try to seperate mobs and get single pulls at least in the beginning
  • Dragon's Dream is also OP

That's all that comes to my mind atm, if I recall more I'll add them or feel free to ask any question you want.

@ Talkshowhost: since you're in ch 4 you should have 3 Sun runes, if you did pick the 1 found in the Kikimore lair just before the final room, (the yellow 1s) so forge yourself a sword with +30% silver succeptibility and apply Argentia to it that way you should be able to damage the Bruxae. If that's not an option try Dragons Dream. Toss a couple on the ground, like 10+, get your distance and ignite them using Igni. All Bruxae should die at the spot.
@ Flash since you're reading this thread ...WTB FCR for TW2! As I find it not challenging enough on Dark Mode, though I've yet to complete an insanity run

Top Bottom