Companions

+
It seems we are having hard time understanding each other. Every once in a while, you come to this topic and say "I don't want any companions, so there shouldn't be any companions." Do you really have to make same statement over and over again? What, you believe your voice isn't heard if you stop saying it?

So, let me get this straight, you are not compering the game to real life, you are not even claiming it should be like real life, but you don't want the "video game" to be "video gamey"... Everything about a video game is artificial. We are talking about a place where you don't have to eat, sleep, take a shower. Where you can get shot and still keep running around. Where you can get shot many times and your armor doesn't even show any damage. Where NPC's just entrust you with their most holy missions/quests. (Please save our village while we sit here and do nothing.) It's not like there isn't any games companions handled well. I love the way companions were handled in New Vegas. So did Wisdom, so did Sard, so did Blank_redge, so did Chris.. We want companions.

You're saying that, but you don't seem to get it. If they put it in the game. It wouldn't bother you. It wouldn't even make a difference. But it would to us. You can send them away by not hiring them. But what would we do? It doesn't matter to you either way, it doesn't change anything for you. Why are you against our fun?

First of all, I didn't say that there shouldn't be any companions because I don't want them. I am just stating why I think companions in videogames are a waste of resources. And yes, I will show up in any thread I desire and state my opinion. That's what this forum is for.

But it seems for you any opinion that is against your own(and Sard's, and Wisdom's, and Blank_redge's, and Chris' - yeah, I get it) is something that is against your fun. No, it's not. And noone in this forum has monopoly for only right opinions.

But yeah, I'm gonna quit discussing these matters with you as the only thing you can say in return for my arguments is blaming me for being against people's fun, which is just something I'm not gonna accept.

First of all, I didn't say that there shouldn't be any companions because I don't want them. I am just stating why I think companions in videogames are a waste of resources. And yes, I will show up in any thread I desire and state my opinion. That's what this forum is for.

But it seems for you any opinion that is against your own(and Sard's, and Wisdom's, and Blank_redge's, and Chris' - yeah, I get it) is something that is against your fun. No, it's not. And noone in this forum has monopoly for only right opinions.

But yeah, I'm gonna quit discussing these matters with you as the only thing you can say in return for my arguments is blaming me for being against people's fun, which is just something I'm not gonna accept.

I never said you shouldn't state your opinion. I said, if you state same opinion 50 times, your point doesn't get any stronger.

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against you. But maybe you are forgetting your previous posts.

Nonsense! I love wrong opinions! Err..contrary to my opinion-opinions. YEs. That's what I meant. That's the fun part OF forums.

Where did I stand on companions? I don't even remember. I need some kind of daytimer.

Oh, I remember. I think I'm on your side in this one, Gregski! Pretty sure I said companions are almost always annoying as crap, with the occasional exception like the mouthy robot in Fallout. And that Witcher and W2 did them best as NPCs with cool personalities. Bioshock Infinite Girl annoyed me, for example. Metro Alien Kid was pretty cool, though.

I almost never travel with companions. I'm a Solo. We work alone. Err..in game.

So we agree! Even if you are wrong. So very wrong. So sadly, sadly wrong. About stuff. And things.

Nonsense! I love wrong opinions! Err..contrary to my opinion-opinions. YEs. That's what I meant. That's the fun part OF forums.

Where did I stand on companions? I don't even remember. I need some kind of daytimer.

Oh, I remember. I think I'm on your side in this one, Gregski! Pretty sure I said companions are almost always annoying as crap, with the occasional exception like the mouthy robot in Fallout. And that Witcher and W2 did them best as NPCs with cool personalities. Bioshock Infinite Girl annoyed me, for example. Metro Alien Kid was pretty cool, though.

I almost never travel with companions. I'm a Solo. We work alone. Err..in game.

So we agree! Even if you are wrong. So very wrong. So sadly, sadly wrong. About stuff. And things.

:D I don't think in most of these arguments you don't know where you stand.. You make a statement, then change it, then make another statement. Your mind is a maze of opinions :D

Well, at least in one point, you said it would be fine to have companions... I'm sure of that.

Wait, which side of this argument am I on again?
Does this remind you of anything?

That's because I'm -flexible-! ANd -reasonable-! And I delight in getting people to think on paper/lcd. Also, few issues are black and white. Most are more reddish-green. With sprinkles!

I don't understand why we can't get the best of both worlds. It could be like so: the NPCs are fleshed out with distinct backgrounds and personalities, and have their own lives/motivations. They can be your "companions" in the instances when they help you out if they like you enough, or if there's anything in it for them.

I mentioned something in the Romance thread which I'll reiterate- NPC relationships, both companionship or romance, should be about storytelling. Ideally, what I'd like is TW type characters, but with more capabilities to interact with them.

And then you have the other type of NPC, the hired muscle, the contractor, the no one special, who you can hire or call (if you're part of gang with high rep or whatever), and they'll help you out as needed.

At the end of it, I want this game to have a life, and I think NPCs go a long way in determining that for a game.

...it seems for you any opinion that is against your own(and Sard's, and Wisdom's, and Blank_redge's, and Chris' - yeah, I get it) is something that is against your fun. No, it's not. And noone in this forum has monopoly for only right opinions.
o_O

How the heck did my name get thrown in to the mix??

All I'm doing is throwing out ideas. At the end of the day, CDPR are going to decide how they build out the game. Until then, all this is speculation.

o_O

All I'm doing is throwing out ideas. At the end of the day, CDPR are going to decide how they build out the game. Until then, all this is speculation.

I think gregski thinks we always agree, orsomething....

The only thing we all really have in common is that we have actually played cyberpunk 2020!

o_O

Your name was one of the ingredients. It was needed for a perfect mix. :D

Your name is magical...

o_O

Check the post I was replying to.

You know, we're all just having fun here, so let's not take things personally. Or if you do, write down the list of everyone who offends you. There, now you have targets for CP2077 MP :shrug:

OK, let's get this thread back on the rails.
Just remember, nobody speaks for anyone except themselves, so unless you're royalty, try to avoid the royal "we".

OK, let's get this thread back on the rails.
Just remember, nobody speaks for anyone except themselves, so unless you're royalty, try to avoid the royal "we".
We agree with this statement.

You may proceed as usual. *waves away the courtesans*

Like a kill list? Hmm.. Interesting.. :D

Well, I was wondering if it would be interesting for players to upload their characters for others to use as NPCs in their games. Depending on how you play, the character can be just as smart, stupid, nice, or fucked up.

But in order for a mechanic like this to be meaningful, the game would have to dedicate a lot of resources for it, so other types of NPCs interactions will suffer. That's why I didn't mention it.

But if there are co-op aspects in the game, which I'd rather have than MP, then you would still be able to invite others to your game.

It would be really interesting if players are able to play as the antagonist in each other's game. SO, that way you'll get to utilize your offense list. And that would be awesome.

@ db: add us to your list, then ;)

Top Bottom