The (Open) Game World Discussion!

+
Ahh Morrowind, I spent hundreds of hours in that game, my wizard could fly by the end of it...loved that game.

I tried to kill everyone in the game. EVERYONE...

I gave up in the end. Just so many...

The other point is that it had an editor. You could provide your own content. If 2077 only allows 20% of buildings and rooms to be entered, that will be loads. But if we can have an editor so we can setup our own missions, arms dealers and gangs, that would truely make the game epic.

Screw the idea of a smaller world, this is Night City, it's Cyberpunk... Bigger is better, bigger is beautiful... give me as much of this world as you can in digital glory..

Screw the idea of a smaller world, this is Night City, it's Cyberpunk... Bigger is better, bigger is beautiful... give me as much of this world as you can in digital glory..

That gif is hard to look at even for a second.

I foresee the map to be alot like everyone wants in here, an open world with all of Night city, the harbor, the out skirts and some of the wasted areas. It would Bernice to have alot of the buildings where we could enter them, which would require a loading screen but that is fine with me. As Chris mentioned a dlc editor that would allow us to make missions in our own created maps of inside the buildings would go right off and serve justice to this game. if there is a editor pre existing brushes and objects in dev created libraries would be great, the same tools and the same libraries the devs use would just make this ultimate game i could retire with. obviously the dev kit would be pc only.

As far as my hopes for the map? well I have saints row in mind, it should take what they have done as far as a living city, and they should multiply the depth and rich environments by at least 40% of what the SR game has done.

I'm sure RED will blow us away with the map of Night city they create, the hard part is waiting.

cyborgIRONSIDE said:
obviously the dev kit would be pc only.
DUST514 managed to provide full mouse and keyboard support on the PS3, so I don't see why an editor would need to be limited to PC.

...imagine doing level editing on a 42" HD widescreen

DUST514 managed to provide full mouse and keyboard support on the PS3, so I don't see why an editor would need to be limited to PC.

...imagine doing level editing on a 42" HD widescreen

hmmm... heres hoping we can use the dev kit on the ps4. But I will be getting a new computer for this game at the time it ships.

Damn Wisdom, you are just reading my mind on everything! I agree with u again and yes, Night City needs to be huge, more than huge, how about the scale size of NYC? Plus outer surrounding areas and the coast. Yes, it needs to be alive, interactive and full of things to do and never get boring. At least 30% of the buildings need to be enterable and have unique interiors. All in all, big city, big fun.

I would be okay with a small gameworld, i.e. I don't expect anything on the scale of the gameworld in TW3. I liked the size of the world in Sleeping Dogs, but I'm guessing that might be too small for some folks.

The size isn't really important, as much as the capacity to have different kinds of interaction within this gameworld, and I don't mean just with things.

The most memorable instances of gameworld exploration come interactions which drive the story.

The size isn't really important, as much as the capacity to have different kinds of interaction within this gameworld, and I don't mean just with things.
Mmm... I think I'd disagree with this, with qualifications.

Fallout 3, the map was HUGE. EXPANSIVE. Because Wasteland. It was SUPPOSED to feel like wandering around the wastes. And, along the way, you'd have your random encounters, and pockets of former civilization to pick through.

The map in Saints Row 2 was damn near perfect for a city environment... except for the quibble that it was, essentially, a giant island. The fact that different parts of the city FELT like different parts of the city was a huge bonus for me.

Though, to your point, I don't want to have a large map, for the sake of having a large map, if there's really nothing to do while you're roaming around, and particularly, if everything looks the same (I'm looking at you, Saints Row 3.)

Though, to your point, I don't want to have a large map, for the sake of having a large map, if there's really nothing to do while you're roaming around, and particularly, if everything looks the same (I'm looking at you, Saints Row 3.)

The funny thing is, SR3's map was actually much smaller even than SR2... and it was just a lifeless homogenous pile of crap. DR2 was a little flat, but christ that city felt alive and vibrant, more than any city in any video game I have ever played. But the size of the map was in fact still too small, it was JUST city... City and Water... there was really no contrast, no sense of connection to anything outside the city.

Sand Andreas had the best map of any video game I have ever played, tied with RDR. Both maps were diverse and offered more than just a static environment.

Now Night City, it has to be bloody huge... sprawling and immense. With zones as different from each other as night and day. Their has to be contrst and dochotomy. And part of that is giving us a look outside the city, at the abandoned rural atmosphere. The corporate Zone represents the Pinnacle of success. Everything is clean, the people are sculpted and attractive, and wealthy. The buildings new and gleaming. The moderate Zones are where the normal people shop and work and live, large apartment buildings and brownstones. Maybe even the occasional neighborhood of houses. Afterwards you get into the ghetto, where everyone is hungry, the streets are filthy, and life is hard. Then you have the Combat Zone.... the buildings are crumbling and falling apart, the streets are broken and full of burnt out vehicles, the gangs will kill you for the pack of gum in your pocket. And finally you have the wasteland, where people are poor, but live free, perhaps the only truly free people in Cyberpunk America. They have nothing but what they can carry on their backs, and every day is a struggle, but the only thing they have to answer to is the siren call of the road.

These aspects must be shown, they must be felt. The contrast has to be there. If it's just the city, then it really isn't any different from a thousand games before it.

To paraphrase Neil Gaiman "What purpose does hell serve if it's inhabitants cannot hope to see heaven?"

Then you have the Combat Zone.... the buildings are crumbling and falling apart, the streets are broken and full of burnt out vehicles, the gangs will kill you for the pack of gum in your pocket.
...heh. Sounds only one step away from some of the burned out neighborhoods in Detroit.

Now Night City, it has to be bloody huge... sprawling and immense. With zones as different from each other as night and day. Their has to be contrst and dochotomy. And part of that is giving us a look outside the city, at the abandoned rural atmosphere. The corporate Zone represents the Pinnacle of success. Everything is clean, the people are sculpted and attractive, and wealthy. The buildings new and gleaming. The moderate Zones are where the normal people shop and work and live, large apartment buildings and brownstones. Maybe even the occasional neighborhood of houses. Afterwards you get into the ghetto, where everyone is hungry, the streets are filthy, and life is hard. Then you have the Combat Zone.... the buildings are crumbling and falling apart, the streets are broken and full of burnt out vehicles, the gangs will kill you for the pack of gum in your pocket. And finally you have the wasteland, where people are poor, but live free, perhaps the only truly free people in Cyberpunk America. They have nothing but what they can carry on their backs, and every day is a struggle, but the only thing they have to answer to is the siren call of the road.

Yeah, this is cool, I'd like all of that in the game. If the game needs a world of a greater size to have all such zones exist in a believable way, then that's okay.

Yeah, it's not.

Wisdom isn't saying it should be, though. He demands interaction - it's a favourite thing of his from Saints Row 2, apparently.

We differ on levels of interaction and so forth, though.

It's not cool if the city is one giant facade. We need to be able to interact with it.

Interaction is very important. I would rather be able to talk with people, enter every building in the map. I don't care if the inside of a building looks similar with a texture swap, i want to be able to enter it dammit! I want to be able to access the roof. Especially places like police and fire stations should be enter able. I want to be able to talk with random people, mug them or help them out. And if i point my weapon at someone, they should react to it. Everybody should react it differently though.

now night city, it has to be bloody huge... Sprawling and immense. With zones as different from each other as night and day. Their has to be contrst and dochotomy. And part of that is giving us a look outside the city, at the abandoned rural atmosphere. The corporate zone represents the pinnacle of success. Everything is clean, the people are sculpted and attractive, and wealthy. The buildings new and gleaming. The moderate zones are where the normal people shop and work and live, large apartment buildings and brownstones. Maybe even the occasional neighborhood of houses. Afterwards you get into the ghetto, where everyone is hungry, the streets are filthy, and life is hard. Then you have the combat zone.... The buildings are crumbling and falling apart, the streets are broken and full of burnt out vehicles, the gangs will kill you for the pack of gum in your pocket. And finally you have the wasteland, where people are poor, but live free, perhaps the only truly free people in cyberpunk america. They have nothing but what they can carry on their backs, and every day is a struggle, but the only thing they have to answer to is the siren call of the road.

yes

...enter every building in the map.
Wisdom brought up a good point earlier (yes, he *is* capable of that. Stop looking so shocked. =p )

Think of any large city, near to you. Odds are slim to none that you will be able to open EVERY random door you come across. A good number of them will be locked, bolted shut, and / or padlocked closed.

I don't need EVERY building to be enterable, as long as there's a good amount of enterable locations, with things happening inside, or things to explore. All buildings should be solid objects, though. If I decide I want to skulk from rooftop to rooftop, I shouldn't fall through a graphics error.

Wisdom brought up a good point earlier (yes, he *is* capable of that. Stop looking so shocked. =p )

Think of any large city, near to you. Odds are slim to none that you will be able to open EVERY random door you come across. A good number of them will be locked, bolted shut, and / or padlocked closed.

I don't need EVERY building to be enterable, as long as there's a good amount of enterable locations, with things happening inside, or things to explore. All buildings should be solid objects, though. If I decide I want to skulk from rooftop to rooftop, I shouldn't fall through a graphics error.

We don't need the doors to be unlocked. If the door is locked, break it open. Or with a little c4 you could put a hole in the wall. Hell, you could even punch a little hole in the wall if you have right cybernetic enhancements. So the reason "That huge guy with arms made of steel and c4 in his pocket cannot enter because the door is locked" does not even begin to make any sense. (I expect doors and some walls to be breakable.)

Also, Deus Ex HR did this well enough. It could be a good inspiration for CDPR.

Top Bottom