Companions

+
Sadly this won't be invented for 923 years or so...

They aren't generally "pets". This isn't some huggy, cuddly I-love-animals tactical add-on.

These are forcibly modified killers and bomb-sweep biomachines. Typically drugged up and/or wired to be more effective and obedient.

A "pet' is what some corpzoner keeps in their 200th floor apartment and coos at.

They can run the gambit from the useless yappy dogs to cybered up killers. The rules start with buying the animal, then you get to mod it however you like.

"Aw, isn't that puppy so cute?"
"Phew! His breath stinks. Get him Nanogroomers."
"He will need a Neralware processor first."
"Okay, but as long as we are here lets install Tech Hair so I can change him to match my outfit. Also a chipware socket for the Perfect Pet chip."

Or

"I want the Tiger. Add the cyber claws and teeth. Plate the legs and back and add spikes. Cyber eyes, cyber audio, chipware socket. Install the loyalty chip. Skinnweave of course. A turret on the back with programmable IFF."

None of my characters have done this, however there are some people I never told about the Cyberpets. Oh, and Cyberpets is not my description it is Chrome 3's.

So it's like Tony Montana's tiger but cyber. But I suppose you can (at least in the PnP) have a pet-pet.

In 2020, some people would have still grown up with pets due to the timeline. In 2077, with resources like food and disposable income being scarce through the previous 80 years, organic pets would probably become all but exclusive to the elite. Synthetic pets would probably be more common, down to the middle classes. Robotic cats, dogs, fish, hamsters, snakes...

And don't forget, second-hand is almost always cheaper than new. That should apply to Cyberforms as well...

"Aw, isn't that puppy so cute?"
"Phew! His breath stinks. Get him Nanogroomers."
"He will need a Neralware processor first."
"Okay, but as long as we are here lets install Tech Hair so I can change him to match my outfit. Also a chipware socket for the Perfect Pet chip."

Or

"I want the Tiger. Add the cyber claws and teeth. Plate the legs and back and add spikes. Cyber eyes, cyber audio, chipware socket. Install the loyalty chip. Skinnweave of course. A turret on the back with programmable IFF."

Buy my second hand cyber-form attack ferret, I promise that there are no trojan spy programs in it or back door access points, it will be your loyal servant from now on, I promise. /smarmy grin

You know what's never been done with companions, (as far as I know...)

Make them indipendant. My home is my home, not an operational base. My companions should have their own lives and handle their own business. They get their own gear and weapons, (although I am sure they would choose gear based on their roles and the orders they tend to recieve.) They should recieve their own job offers, (which we can be asked to assist with,) so they may not always be available when we want them.

Opinions?

I think you smell of elderberries. That's my opinion.

Also, Cyberpunk 2020 people don't have homes - we have dufflebags with our gear in them. And my characters don't have homes any more than they have functional Empathy stats.

Homes and lives for our companions/significant NPCs is a great idea, though. In Witcher, I kind of always wanted to see where Dandelion lived. I imagined a pleasant, very neat modest two-story beside a lake with a dock. That he never, ever tells anyone about. Ever.

Flash, no one ever reads what you post. Ever. Except this one time. By fluke.

Just so you know.

Flash, no one ever reads what you post. Ever. Except this one time. By fluke.
Good, if you actually read everything I wrote, you'd kill yourself out of envy and bitterness because of the sheer awesomeness of my posts. You're fun for entertainment, so I don't want to lose you yet.

Top Bottom