Romances: Disparity in quality and quantity

+
I think one thing I didn't articulate well is that these characters aren't TERRIBLE in isolation, it's when you compare them to their straight counterparts and see the pattern. You've got Zevran, the leather fetish spicy rogue hedonist who likes murder, vs Alistair. the virgin white knight who gifts you a rose. You've got Iron Bull, another promiscuous hedonist who's entire romance is centered on BDSM sex, vs Cullen and Blackwall, both romantic white knights. Vasco, the rogueish pirate, vs Kurt, your white knight childhood friend. Kerry, morally ambiguous kinky hedonist alternative lifestyle, vs River, masculine white knight police detective with family values...Reyes vs Jaal and Liam (pre-patched Jaal). It's hard not to be tired of it by now. The trend is only bucked by Cortez and Gil, that I can think of in a AAA RPG (Kaidan and Jaal being retroactively made m/m and Dorian being a stereotype of his own).

Extra confusion coming from the fact that there is so much feedback to draw from on this, with m/m Kaidan romance being almost universally well received and demand for a 'gay white knight' going back as far as DA: Origins release.

I do put some blame on a vocal minority in the LGBT community itself a little bit, with this trend of insisting that same-sex relationships and 'queer life' are inherently different to straight ones, which I think is confusing writers into drawing on tropes and emphasise their gayness rather than write them like a character who just happens to be gay.

Also just gonna reiterate here for the sake of positivity; I do actually think the game is great and I'm excited for the franchise going forward. Personal issues with Kerry aside, my biggest gripe and original main point is the huge gap in content between the female and male romances that I hope is addressed going forward.
Agree with this. Also worth saying that River spiked my gaydar higher than any other "normal" character in a game, to the point I was actually quite surprised he wasn't gay.

I find it very sad that people keep complaining about a character that has more content than another character etc ...
instead of gathering all together and asking for more content on each of them .... by dint of ranting no character will have any content ...
do not forget that Panam and Judy are main characters not River and Kerry ...
I find it more logical to ask why johnny has more place in the story than V.
I just want to say that after the sex scene no character has more content than another in the relationship with V (ah judy sends a text when she's been drinking ... whaouu and V cannot join her ...). absolutely all romances deserve more content!

you're right all characters deserve more content and nobdy wants to take content away from Judy ord Panam. What we are saying is that obviously the female LIs have more content than the male ones and this is galling because it seems as if CDPR are catering more to straight male players than to women and queer guys when they could have easily created more quests for River and Kerry and generally make the romance parts of their quests better.

I object to these being called Romances. You do 1-3 tasks for them and then sleep with them. The term is hooking up. The moment after you hook up there is nearly ZERO content. The reason certain hook ups have more content is they incorporated those far more into the main storyline than the others. Which makes them feel very tacked on or meaningless. (Let's pursue a one night stand when I'm coughing and having difficulty walking straight for very long)

you're right all characters deserve more content and nobdy wants to take content away from Judy ord Panam. What we are saying is that obviously the female LIs have more content than the male ones and this is galling because it seems as if CDPR are catering more to straight male players than to women and queer guys when they could have easily created more quests for River and Kerry and generally make the romance parts of their quests better.

CDPR has not given in to the call of many players for judy to be bisexual and I find that good. and of course that video games are aimed more at men but this is evolving little by little.
I object to these being called Romances. You do 1-3 tasks for them and then sleep with them. The term is hooking up. The moment after you hook up there is nearly ZERO content. The reason certain hook ups have more content is they incorporated those far more into the main storyline than the others. Which makes them feel very tacked on or meaningless. (Let's pursue a one night stand when I'm coughing and having difficulty walking straight for very long)

this is the problem actually there is 0 interaction.
and yet despite V's imminent death, we do missions for regina, padre etc that don't make any sense, so why not more interaction with the city and V's relationships?

CDPR has not given in to the call of many players for judy to be bisexual and I find that good. and of course that video games are aimed more at men but this is evolving little by little.

and yet despite V's imminent death, we do missions for regina, padre etc that don't make any sense, so why not more interaction with the city and V's relationships?
To be fair this is a problem for all story-based games that try to give player choice and a more open world. Either you set the main story on rails with a time limit and force the player to prioritise it, or you let the player do things their own way -- what they want, when they want -- at the expense of some suspension of disbelief.

I left Panam sitting in the car in the garage, waiting for me to get in, for a week while I bought various cars and went sightseeing (and met River and fell in love with River and then had my heart broken when it turned out he wasn't into guys and friendzoned me). In Witcher 3 it's "Ciri's missing!" "I really don't care because I'm busy banging a sorceress and picking herbs in the garden." In Oblivion it was "portals to hell have opened up and the world is about to be consumed" "please stop bothering me I'm terribly busy learning to steal things".

Last edited:
and of course that video games are aimed more at men but this is evolving little by little.
Little by little in 2020s... That's sad af. Women are already a large percentage of players.

Yes. Not enough time to develop relationships with people that V cares about, but there's always a good time for random merc jobs. :sad:

And, unless you decide to choose a suicide ending, you cannot be 100% sure that V's life will end in six months and there's absolutely no chance to reverse the damage that relic has done to them. And before V learns that the chances are low, they're focused on staying alive. So there's no point in giving up on LIs just because in the end you are told to be dead in some near future (and it's still not for 100% sure). It makes sense that V could be interested in a long-term relationship.

To be fair this is a problem for all story-based games that try to give player choice and a more open world. Either you set the main story on rails with a time limit and force the player to prioritise it, or you let the player do things their own way -- what they want, when they want -- at the expense of some suspension of disbelief. [...]
Hmm. For me personally it was easier to ignore the main plot in other games when the threat was external.

Guest 4412420

I find it very sad that people keep complaining about a character that has more content than another character etc ...
All 4 of them deserve and should get more content but Kerry and River need it the most. People repeatedly bring up the fact that Judy and Panam have more not because we have something against these characters, but because in comparison male LIs were treated very unfairly, that it's disappointing and that we expected CDPR to do better.

instead of gathering all together and asking for more content on each of them .... by dint of ranting no character will have any content ...
People do gather together but more often then not it's the people who like Kerry and River ask for equal content for all while fans of Judy and Panam specifically ask for more content for them only. We just want the same for male LIs that ladies have.

This is no excuse to give them less content, especially where romance is concerned because they're LIs too.

Last edited by a moderator:
precisely in "romance" content judy and panam have no more content .... a sex scene and bye bye.
panam and judy have more content only on main quests
but hey it's an endless subject I stop there :)

Sorry if anything came off that way but I don't think that's what anyone has said here. We are just trying to articulate why things felt so unequal and offer suggestions we think would have helped. It seems likely that content will be added for everyone in expansions and just don't want the same disparities to carry over.

This forum is saturated with posts about Judy and Panam with dedicated threads asking for more content just for them. Do you really feel threatened by the one thread here discussing the male LIs that's really just asking to be considered equally (not better than)? I promise no one here has asked for less content for Judy or Panam (because we also love them). We're just asking that our options be given the same priority.

Sorry if anything came off that way but I don't think that's what anyone has said here. We are just trying to articulate why things felt so unequal and offer suggestions we think would have helped. It seems likely that content will be added for everyone in expansions and just don't want the same disparities to carry over.

This forum is saturated with posts about Judy and Panam with dedicated threads asking for more content just for them. Do you really feel threatened by the one thread here discussing the male LIs that's really just asking to be considered equally (not better than)? I promise no one here has asked for less content for Judy or Panam (because we also love them). We're just asking that our options be given the same priority.

no problem it's just that when i read some post i get the impression that you think judy has an amazing post romance when it's wrong. and all LI's deserve content that will surely never reach XD

This forum is saturated with posts about Judy and Panam with dedicated threads asking for more content just for them.
I promise no one here has asked for less content for Judy or Panam (because we also love them). We're just asking that our options be given the same priority.
I don't think all those dedicated threads want more for them only :(
Yes, i want more (even more) for Judy... but if CDPR planned to add contents for Judy, they certainely will do the same for all. If they don't, that could be a big mistake :)

I dont know why Kerry is compared with Zevran so much, IMO Kerry is much more likeable. He won me over when he smashed that guitar, badass!

I like both but I never saw the similarity, they have completely different personalities :shrug:
Zevran is actually my favourite m/m romance in any DA game (perhaps the fact DAO is the only Dragon Age game without DRM has something to do with it lol), but I like Kerry better, not only as a romance for V (the fact he's tied to Johnny is awesome) but as a character.

Last edited:
As a bisexual man I'd like to say that both the male romance options (Kerry and River) were very underdeveloped compared to the female (Panam and Judy, Panam was my favorite).
They weren't linked to the main story and were only accessible through the side missions.
The progress with the male romances was too quick. For Kerry two short missions and River one short mission.
In Panams missions, the romance progresses gradually and not instantly which i find more realistic.
Kerry is the better male romance option than River but he's only available as a romance option if you chose to play as Male V.
I played as male V in my first playthrough and had two options for romance (Kerry and Panam). I chose Panam first because her romance was told better (Plus she has a great butt). when i played female V for the first time I chose River not because he was a better character than Judy but because of personal reasons and I'm not really into lesbian action.
I would've loved more development for the male romances but i guess it's too late for that.
But there is always hope for the DLCs.

Guest 4412420

I personally wouldn't call them bland, I romanced Kerry and really liked what's there (except for V barely saying anything, V should have been able to show his interest in Kerry just as openly as he can with Panam), but you're right that romances for both male LIs are underdeveloped, and this has been a general consensus pretty much since the game's launch.

I also don't think it's too late to improve it, they could add new dialogue to existing quests. CDPR have skilled writers and quest designers, so I don't think that figuring out how to add new content without disrupting the flow of conversations would be too hard for them to do, they added new scenes for Triss in TW3, after all.

There's another thread discussing the differences between romances, if you'd like to read it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
River's whole romance setup was kind of a cringer and more than a little cliche. I agree that he felt underdeveloped as a character. At times he just felt like a bot for delivering wooden romance platitudes. Kind of a shame.

Top Bottom