Romances: Disparity in quality and quantity

+
So 1.2 files show they’re adding MORE lines for Panam

But River still hangs up on you when you call. Doesn’t inspire too much confidence the disparity will be addressed, if I’m being honest.

Oh man I thought that was a bug because I'd used a save edit to romance him with a male body....yeesh. AND he hung up on me when I called him during the devil ending. And Kerry all but hangs up on you without checking about your wellbeing if you call him on the roof as well; CDPR what is with you having the guy romances ditch out on us?

And yes, I've already seen and been salty about those lines on reddit. Holding out some (small, small) hope that that is just a sign that ALL romances are getting that treatment and they've just done Panam's first. If not, I'm out.

the big concern remains the after romance whether with the female and male characters.
there is nothing for anyone.
after River is a character who is only present on the side quests so it is rather logical that there is a little less content.
ps: I come in peace :)
on another subject we were talking about V's apartment under used .... we could have invited river etc to chill with them

after River is a character who is only present on the side quests so it is rather logical that there is a little less content.
ps: I come in peace
Coming in peace, but hitting right where it hurts :p

A little less content sure, but the guy only has 3 missions to begin with and he's bugged on top of that. In a 90-ish hour playthrough I got one text from him that I was able to respond to and nothing else. It sucks. :(

Holding out some (small, small) hope that that is just a sign that ALL romances are getting that treatment and they've just done Panam's first. If not, I'm out.
Same, unfortunately. I just wish they'd say something so we'd know whether we're holding our breath for more disappointment.

Coming in peace, but hitting right where it hurts :p

A little less content sure, but the guy only has 3 missions to begin with and he's bugged on top of that. In a 90-ish hour playthrough I got one text from him that I was able to respond to and nothing else. It sucks. :(

Same, unfortunately. I just wish they'd say something so we'd know whether we're holding our breath for more disappointment.

i think they'll add some text messages for everyone .... but is that really content lol
and for the call on the roof it sucks for all the romances believe me ...

i think they'll add some text messages for everyone .... but is that really content lol
I mean... yeah. The male LIs are so starved for any kind of content that adding as many text messages as they've added for Panam in the 1.2 patch would nearly double their interaction with V (not Johnny wearing V) because they truly are that far removed from the story. Text interactions are not a huge thing in the grand scheme of things but it would be something and would have an added bonus of proving they remember those characters (and by extension, the people in this thread that like them) exist at all.

No disagreement from me. Unless you're calling up Panam to go wreck some stuff, the ending calls were mediocre.

Guest 4412420

From what I read on Reddit, those text messages with Panam aren't implemented in the game yet. But it is a bit concerning that op also mentioned that they looked for similar files for other characters as well but found nothing. I really hope that everyone will get those text messages, even though Kerry and River need more than text messages.

I just wish they'd say something so we'd know whether we're holding our breath for more disappointment.
Same here. Even something as simple "we've heard your feedback regarding Kerry and River romances" or something similar. Anything would do, just so it wouldn't feel like all we're doing is shouting into the void.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I read on Reddit, those text messages with Panam aren't implemented in the game yet. But it is a bit concerning that op also mentioned that they looked for similar files for other characters as well but found nothing. I really hope that everyone will get those text messages. Kerry and River need more than that, but at this point even the text messages would do.
Don't worry, a lot of them are not even Panam romance-related. They are about the romancable characters, basically V introducing them to Panam.

Take a look:

Judy:

1618016458664.png

River:

1618016363960.png

1618016370375.png

Kerry:

1618016377010.png

Don't worry, a lot of them are not even Panam romance-related. They are about the romancable characters, basically V introducing them to Panam.

Take a look:

Judy:

View attachment 11208061

River:

View attachment 11208052
View attachment 11208055

Kerry:

View attachment 11208058
Still, it's more content for Panam than for any other character. I definitely wouldn't complain if we had more texts from Judy, romance related or not.

... If we had our own ending completely tied to Judy, I wouldn't complaing. Yet here's Panam with her own ending and now she's got even more content than any other LI.

Still, it's more content for Panam than for any other character. I definitely wouldn't complain if we had more texts from Judy, romance related or not.

... If we had our own ending completely tied to Judy, I wouldn't complaing. Yet here's Panam with her own ending and now she's got even more content than any other LI.
Well, I'm not jumping to conclusions yet. Text messages are easy to implement, so I don't see a reason for them not to add any for all the other romances.

Also, at least we'll be able to introduce these characters to someone, you know, it's still something. I hope the same will be available for all of the romances in the future.

Yeah, Judy's drives me nuts. After a great story building up the relationship, we're literally told "just be careful, I'll be here waiting".

Like...I'm not making a trip to the closest Starbucks :ROFLMAO:

Guest 4412420

I only saw the texts about Judy, thanks for sharing the rest!

You're right that it's too early to tell if other characters will get something or not, but I think our concern is not without reason. If all LIs were treated equally from the get-go, no one would even think that others won't get anything because we'd know they will. But they weren't and now, we can only hope that others won't be forgotten.

Yeah, Judy's drives me nuts. After a great story building up the relationship, we're literally told "just be careful, I'll be here waiting".

Like...I'm not making a trip to the closest Starbucks :ROFLMAO:
For some reason, pretty much everyone except Panam basically goes "anyway, bye" and this comes after they all express concern because they can tell that something's wrong. You'd think they would insist on seeing V or something. If Panam gets her very own ending, then at least they could have added a short scene where other LIs show up and talk with V.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it goes a bit deeper than screen time. The lore of this world tells us anything and everyone is exploitable. Corporations are turned into megacorporations where there is very little competition on the official markets. The same way with sexualization. There should be sexualization of everything yet the disparity on the sexualization of men vs women is enormous. In this world the social attributes distinguished between genders should be eliminated entirely. Everyone is trying to survive and outpower others.
This disparity comes in the game in different fronts:
The Sandra Dorsett mission, why is the guy wearing underpants in the tub if they were stripped for parts by the scavs (he was naked in the 2018 demo, so it made sense concept-wise)? Why are there no male dancers in the tubes at the afterlife? Why can't you see a male dancer in the holotubes outside Clouds? Is there any male npc with sexualized clothing/cybernetichs like the pole dancer in that jig jig street club?
On the one hand maybe today's world censours dicks over vaginas and CDPR couldn't put a dick on display on the guy on the tub and have the game on the playstation or whatever. And this then had to be extended to not being able to have V naked outside the inventory. But that's unfortunate and doesn't justify the other mismatches.
Also on the social level, they could have gone one step further. As a gay man I was first very positively impressed with how they told the story of River rejecting my Vs kiss. But it was realistic for today where there still is an awkardness about 2 "dudes" going at it. The social diversity and openness should be more present in dialogues and mannerisms. I'm not saying he River should not reject, just the subtle subtext of "yo dude, what you doin', we're blokes" should not be there anymore.
When in present day we talk about objectification, that women's objectification happens a lot more, the discussion only goes to "women don't deserve to be treated as objects" (which they totally don't) but the lack of men objectification also means that catering to the fantasy of someone who fantasizes about men isn't justifiable. In this dystopia we can forget about rights to not be objectified so why is there still a censourship to those who fantasize about men? There would be profit in it..

And this old-fashioned view where future-fashion was required (sorry CDPR) was translated to the romances aswell.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the guy in the tub with Dorsett was naked when the game released but the first patch gave him underpants, added a lot of clothing to the sex workers NPCs, and censored the game all over.

As long as the messages are not officially published it is too early to be afraid that only Panam will have some update. I'm not sure if they have changed anything in the latest patch, but this time I choose to stay only friends with River and I received not only text messages from Joss, but also a photo from the hospital with the whole family. The photo is a little bit creepy but still a nice addition :)

As long as the messages are not officially published it is too early to be afraid that only Panam will have some update. I'm not sure if they have changed anything in the latest patch, but this time I choose to stay only friends with River and I received not only text messages from Joss, but also a photo from the hospital with the whole family. The photo is a little bit creepy but still a nice addition :)
I think @Soykaff said it best: If they had all been treated equally from the get-go, no one would be concerned and could just wait it out. It's a once bitten, twice shy kind of situation that we're preemptively afraid. Especially considering Kerry's unique position of being stuck at the end of the game. There won't be time enough between meeting Kerry and the end of the game for them to fit a decent amount of texting interaction :( He'd have to be sending them off rapid fire or get shorted again.

That's nice they fixed the Joss picture though, really. It's something. I'm curious what exactly about River caused issues with his texts and the hang-up bug, just from a programming standpoint.

Unfortunately Kerry's quest is the latest of the main-charcter related ones in the game and I know many people (including me) tend to do side gigs first and save the interesting stuff for later, but if you safe some of the gigs etc for after you've met him, there would be still some time for text messages. He doesn't even send you an USCracks related text mesage after the stalker quest, where it would kinda make sense since he knows the girls...

I did 2 playthroughs, one female and one male V. Romance in this game goes down to a single different scene during shared quests, epilogue scene and some bits of dialogue here and there. In case of Panam, that's about 3-4 minutes of content (not counting the epilogue), in case of River it's 1-2 minutes. Not much of a difference.

I ask thee, for real. Am I allowed to write stories of straight men? I am a lesbian woman. If the answer is positive, then your past comment becomes a contradiction, if negative... wow, just wow...
David Gaider wrote arguably one of the best female characters/Romance in gaming Morrigan in Dragon Age Origins and he's a gay man so it isn't based on the writer's sexual orientation but their writing skill/talent.

Last edited:
I think River was handled very well, actually. I liked Kerry but wish you didn't have to go through hoops just to get into content surrounding him, especially since you can't build any kind of relationship with him outside of sidequests. If the latter were the case, then yeah, it'd be fair imo since you have no real reason to run into him outside of Johnny. Judy is definitely the best realized in my opinion. But once again, I think the biggest problems concern a persistent lack of interactivity in terms of engaging with the characters in the world. Takemura is one of those characters, like Alt and Rogue, who actually make sense to me not really being romanceable. He's duty-bound first and foremost and he never really becomes "close" to the player in any circumstance given the story and his personality. I'd rather have a different male character in the story be romanceable than him.

Top Bottom