Could CDPR be developing third-person mode for Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
GoW, Horizon ..., The Witcher, Mass Effect, AC serie and etc. with TPP do you not like them? Do you only play FPP games? Immersion is not only about first-person perspective, it is about feeling the game through human reflexes. Immersion in Cyberpunk is limited to FPP only, so it cancels the immersion in my opinion and others like me. Look for movies on YT, it's full of it. Immersion in Cyberpunk even with FPP would be if many things in the game were not limited to story scenes, for example, why can't we order a room at Sunset Motel while exploring Badlands? Why can't we order a drink and drink it when we see the hand grabbing the glass? Why can't we stay overnight in the car? Why can't we sit on the ripperdoc chairs? There is no animation for these scenes, and this animation is immersive when our character performs such simple actions, clicking on a drink or on a map of implants is not an immersion. It was supposed to be a breakthrough game, so things should be in it, as well as the choice of FPP or TPP view, but there is no time for everything, the game is unfinished and has already been abandoned by its creators, but they do not have the courage to admit it to us yet. I have no illusions, we will not see TPP as well as any DLC. I enjoyed talking to you, but my adventure with CP is over. Best wishes.
So we agree about more animations and more interactions with the world improving immersion (thx modders for adding new features and interactions). No link with F or TPP.

It's time to get over it or move on people. Stop beating this dead horse.
Yep, like me with Mass Effect... I always hope a first person view since the very first one, but after 15 years and 4 games, no first person view :D

Edit : Besides, I wonder if it's ever happened that another point of view was added after the release of a game with an update/patch/DLC (a point of view not directly available at the release).

Last edited:
Yep, like me with Mass Effect... I always hope a first person view since the very first one, but after 15 years and 4 games, no first person view :D

Edit : Besides, I wonder if it's ever happened that another point of view was added after the release of a game with an update/patch/DLC (a point of view not directly available at the release).

Agreed, first person could've have made for a very interesting perspective in Mass Effect.

And, no, I can't think of a single game where the devs added a different perspective post-launch.

Agreed, first person could've have made for a very interesting perspective in Mass Effect.

And, no, I can't think of a single game where the devs added a different perspective post-launch.
Rockstar did in gta V for PC and next-gen versions (PS4 and X-box One at the time), I believe. Also a multiplayer game by the way, but FPP is available in solo too.

Rockstar did in gta V for PC and next-gen versions (PS4 and X-box One at the time), I believe. Also a multiplayer game by the way, but FPP is available in solo too.
As far as I remember, GTA V have both views directly at release of the game (like RDR2, Skyrim, Fallout,...). We talk about a game with (for example) only third person view, then after a while, an update would add a "new" first person view.
Just my opinion, but when games have both, the first person view is generally not that great...

As far as I remember, GTA V have both views directly at release of the game (like RDR2, Skyrim, Fallout,...). We talk about a game with (for example) only third person view, then after a while, an update would add a "new" first person view.
Just my opinion, but when games have both, the first person view is generally not that great...
The 1 person came with pc and enhanced edition. It wasent there in the original release on ps3 i think?

I imagine it's too difficult for some to believe that is a game design choice... Like it is in Minecraft where everything being square, an isometric 3D view in DOS2 or a third person view only view in The Witcher 3 :)
It is quite rare tho with something thats not a pure FPS beeing locked in first person. KCD has it too but thats about it i think. Generaly theres 1 and 3 person in these type of games, or just 3d person.

It is quite rare tho with something thats not a pure FPS beeing locked in first person. KCD has it too but thats about it i think. Generaly theres 1 and 3 person in these type of games, or just 3d person.
Outer Worlds too ;)
(KCD is "weird" in my opinion, because first person gameplay and third person cinematics/dialogues, which seem really "strange" to me when I play)
But true, games "locked" in third person (for design reason too, I think) are the "norm" in general.

I don't have a huge knowledge about Resident Evil, but I believe Resident Evil was, at first and only, a "third person" view game.

Actually RE1 was developed in both views to a certain point - which were competing with each other. They decided to go with 3rd person and their own camera-setting-style instead of first person. But they never skipped first person at all. They did several shooter-spinoffs of the IP in 1st person only. And than there came RE7. It's probably a good way to support both views in an IP even more if you support it within the same title.

I think some people are too quick to point to modders as "the dev should be able to do this".

Pretty sure if they add a third-person mode it would be an effort that spans across all platforms, not just PC. On top of that if modders do something and it is buggy or a bit janky it passes as okay. If CDPR does it half-assed or there are problems people are going to flip out on them again. For instance if you go third person with cinematics (which I do think they should have done in the first place) and V just stands there for the most part not doing anything or showing any emotion... people are going to be like, this sucks, why did you even do it in the first place? So I imagine that means they would have to go back and animate that stuff... and I imagine that isn't a small undertaking.

I think some people are pointing to Resident Evil as an example of how this could be done. I agree. But we also have to remember Resident Evil Village is a lot smaller in scope than Cyberpunk. The main story+extras in that game takes the average player around 12 hours. That is about half the time it takes just to beat Cyberpunk's main story.

I think a third-person mode would be neat. Wouldn't shock me if they add it. I'm not a dev so I don't know how heavy a lift it would be... but it doesn't seem like it would be an "easy" thing to just flip on and make work.

I think some people are too quick to point to modders as "the dev should be able to do this".

Pretty sure if they add a third-person mode it would be an effort that spans across all platforms, not just PC. On top of that if modders do something and it is buggy or a bit janky it passes as okay. If CDPR does it half-assed or there are problems people are going to flip out on them again. For instance if you go third person with cinematics (which I do think they should have done in the first place) and V just stands there for the most part not doing anything or showing any emotion... people are going to be like, this sucks, why did you even do it in the first place? So I imagine that means they would have to go back and animate that stuff... and I imagine that isn't a small undertaking.

I think some people are pointing to Resident Evil as an example of how this could be done. I agree. But we also have to remember Resident Evil Village is a lot smaller in scope than Cyberpunk. The main story+extras in that game takes the average player around 12 hours. That is about half the time it takes just to beat Cyberpunk's main story.

I think a third-person mode would be neat. Wouldn't shock me if they add it. I'm not a dev so I don't know how heavy a lift it would be... but it doesn't seem like it would be an "easy" thing to just flip on and make work.
This. The Third Person mod for PC is very temperamental. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes my game. Other times, the camera goes wonky on me. I mainly use it for screenshots of cutscenes, even though V's face does not emote, so I usually angle the pics so his face is slightly obscured. But I actually noticed that in some cutscenes, the mouth does move. Not sure if that was done on purpose or if it's a weird glitch, but I saw it happen when V is playing Kerry's guitar in "holdin on". It surprised me.

I would love to have third-person cutscenes, but I know that would require a lot of work that they probably do not have the budget or the time for. Would be lovely, but I ain't holding my breath for it.

This. The Third Person mod for PC is very temperamental. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes my game. Other times, the camera goes wonky on me. I mainly use it for screenshots of cutscenes, even though V's face does not emote, so I usually angle the pics so his face is slightly obscured. But I actually noticed that in some cutscenes, the mouth does move. Not sure if that was done on purpose or if it's a weird glitch, but I saw it happen when V is playing Kerry's guitar in "holdin on". It surprised me.

I would love to have third-person cutscenes, but I know that would require a lot of work that they probably do not have the budget or the time for. Would be lovely, but I ain't holding my breath for it.

Even though Village did incorporate 3rd person, it came out over a year ago. It wasn't like it was implemented overnight. I think the dialogue system will have to be reworked to, if it wants to be more cinematic. It's not that it's not possible, just incredibly time consuming; especially on a budget where you don't have the luxury of free time like moders do.

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue here, is that they do not seem interested in doing it.

Maybe because of how vocal fans are about wanting it CDPR may change their minds... But this was a creative decision one they have reiterated and stood behind repeatedly. The 1st person perspective being locked with very few exceptions (Driving/ending cutscenes) was deliberate it was done to make the player feel like they embodied V.

I'm sure CDPR COULD put 6 months to a year into building 3rd person camera mechanics and new animations to go with that and it would look great, and people would be happy (personally I'd probably like it as well). But that does not mean they WOULD or SHOULD. This game has had so many road bumps and it's really been finding its footing the last few months and the 1.6 update coming soon along with the new expansion next year is hopefully going to really solidify the games comeback. Diverting resources to that feature may not be the best use of them, and again I'd like to see it but not at the cost of other content.

Plus, at a certain point they may just want to stick to their guns and say hey this was our vision this is our game and it's a 1st person game.... the sequel will have both if people want it enough.

But like I said... MAYBE because of the outspoken fanbase they may decide to add it, for all we know they're working on it already and it will come with the big expansion next year OR maybe not. But I think it's more of a creative issue and time management issue over if they "Could make it work" and more is it worth it to do at this point, but that's just my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom