[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
The feel of emptiness strikes again with PL endings and don't even get me started with that 'V gets cured' ending.

PL has excellent intro missions where Song reaches you via the relic (I was so hyped at the d'town border) and, rushing into the prez, instantly draws you into the plot. Development is also great, but I don't understand the endings. You save Song despite her lying to us and send her to the moon and that's literally it about her. The only thing she does is send you a message and 'Oh hey look, there is a metal pin that shows I'm on the moon and alive'. Why no communication between us after the ending of PL? Like she not talking to us after giving her to the NUSA, I get it and that's completely normal but with the moon ending they have no excuse with it. It doesn't matter how, but just let us at least talk and hear her voice one last time or maybe connect her and one of the endings where you get to Mikoshi or Crystal Palace?

Yeah, you save her and that's literally it. I think it's just lazy writing tbh considering all the sources and hype that went into the PL and it's a shame because overall, the story, characters, Dogtown itself, Phantom Liberty song etc. literally everything is so good about it (though I find the main quest a bit short).

The feel of emptiness strikes again with PL endings and don't even get me started with that 'V gets cured' ending.

PL has excellent intro missions where Song reaches you via the relic (I was so hyped at the d'town border) and, rushing into the prez, instantly draws you into the plot. Development is also great, but I don't understand the endings. You save Song despite her lying to us and send her to the moon and that's literally it about her. The only thing she does is send you a message and 'Oh hey look, there is a metal pin that shows I'm on the moon and alive'. Why no communication between us after the ending of PL? Like she not talking to us after giving her to the NUSA, I get it and that's completely normal but with the moon ending they have no excuse with it. It doesn't matter how, but just let us at least talk and hear her voice one last time or maybe connect her and one of the endings where you get to Mikoshi or Crystal Palace?

Yeah, you save her and that's literally it. I think it's just lazy writing tbh considering all the sources and hype that went into the PL and it's a shame because overall, the story, characters, Dogtown itself, Phantom Liberty song etc. literally everything is so good about it (though I find the main quest a bit short).

I honestly feel like her gift was a mistake. The one she leaves for her.

I think it would have been better if it was ambiguous whether she lives or dies.

Glad i checked about the new ending before purchasing the expansion.
i despised the non-sensical railroaded original endings.
Seems like the new ending a massive 'up yours' from the writers. Time to uninstall the game for me i think.

Alright, like @LadyMiseryAli said, not everyone cares the romances, and that's true. One of my best friends played the game and didn't romance anyone cause he only cared about the story and being besties with Johnny. Some people don't put the same investment in the main characters' relationships (whether they're friendships or romances) and that's fine. For people like him, losing contact with your friends like that means nothing, but you gotta admit if there's so many people complaining about the ending (despite praising the rest of the DLC) is because people do feel like they lost too much. Not everything, but more than they should.
I wouldn't have minded not being the best merc, all the gigs, all the fame and the cyberware, but at least keeping our connections. Cause in the end, that excuse of 'V was in coma for this long and they didn't even bother to be completely honest with the friends/lover' is a decision CDPR took for us. Wouldn't have been hard to put two endings where V doesn't tell them and where they do, and it would be a different story.
It's the fact that CDPR doesn't give us a choice while I'm sure a good portion of the players would have chosen to be honest that bothers me. And it's the fact that we already had so many bad endings or endings where V will die, yet in the only ending where they live they take human connections from us. It's not 'taking everything' like you said, but for a game with such a deep story and that put so much focus on strengthening bonds with others, it feels like they just take it away from us for the sake of drama.
I totally agree with you!
Post automatically merged:

The phantom liberty endings suck !!!! No disrespect but was kinda hoping V could go off and live this happy life with Panam at the end!!! Something positive out of all of his bad luck! I have not even finished the game! I came across these endings that are so terrible I don’t want to play it anymore!!
Exactly! Same for me!

IMO best ending for MY V, that romanced Panam, is The Star, leaving with her. We don’t know if he’ll live only 6 months or if they’ll find a cure, but at least he lives with the person he loves (and Panam really loves very much V). I do not understand why they wanted to insert the message of Panam in which she is romantic, but still demonstrates the little time she has available with him. They must always include this bittersweet finish. Not agree.

Last edited:
I honestly feel like her gift was a mistake. The one she leaves for her.

I think it would have been better if it was ambiguous whether she lives or dies.

I think that'd be bad as well.

She's the main character of the one and only DLC of the Cyberpunk and wasting her like that is just underwhelming tbh because in the end you get nothing from her and what's the point of this major expansion then? You played a game that just wasted your time (not talking about the game itself but the plot).

I have not yet played the expansion, I decided to wait and see if it's worth it or not. reading this I'm still on the fence. But I had to say something about this:
Basically, it seems like the complaints are like, "I can't believe they had Samwise return to gardening and the Shire! Why is he not staying in Mordor as Barbarian King?"

Tell me you have not read/seen Lord of rings without telling me you have not read/seen lord of the rings.

1. Sam wants to be a gardnener. he gets to return to the life he wanted, not forced into a life he does not want.
  2. Sam gets a lot of the things he wanted (being a gardener, wife, kids etc) but loses his best friend, and will forever carry both mental and physical scars from his ordeals. making his end bittersweet.
  3. The problem here seems to be more along the lines of Sam being told he has to remain in Mordor were he will become a Barbarian King and then having the other hobbits being super pissed at him for not going back with them. And instead of Sam telling them why, he just doesn't.
  4. That would be shitty storytelling.

Just finished Phantom Liberty, I absolutely loved the ending I pick up. It was awesome :love:
Sending So Mi to the moon.
So, sorry Solomon, but I had to open the cage and let the (song)bird fly. she's been shackled since way too long, but she's finally free now!

Just finished Phantom Liberty, I absolutely loved the ending I pick up. It was awesome :love:
Sending So Mi to the moon.
So, sorry Solomon, but I had to open the cage and let the (song)bird fly. she's been shackled since way too long, but she's finally free now!
Which one? :)

1. The problem here seems to be more along the lines of Sam being told he has to remain in Mordor were he will become a Barbarian King and then having the other hobbits being super pissed at him for not going back with them. And instead of Sam telling them why, he just doesn't.
  2. That would be shitty storytelling.

Except V DOES tell the people that he's going to be gone or at least his LI. He says they'll be gone for a month and they end up gone for two years.

People keep saying something manifestly untrue because they want to make up a reason to hate the ending.

Two years is a long time.

They don't want to acknowledge it's enough to break a relationship. It happens all the time in RL.

I think that'd be bad as well.

She's the main character of the one and only DLC of the Cyberpunk and wasting her like that is just underwhelming tbh because in the end you get nothing from her and what's the point of this major expansion then? You played a game that just wasted your time (not talking about the game itself but the plot).

Actually, that's why.

Another reason to say, "Was it wrong to turn down Reed's offer?"

Because it may even be wrong for Songbird.

Ah ok sorry! I didn't see the spoiler! So, you returned to main original game! What was your original ending?
Yep :)
Anyway, there would have as much chances of my Nomad V calling Reed/NUSA as the chances of my V calling Hanako/Arasaka, absolutely none!
So, it fit exactly what I plan to end my V's story, i.e leaving Night City with Panam and above all, with Judy :giggle:

Yep :)
Anyway, there would have as much chances of my Nomad V calling Reed/NUSA as the chances of my V calling Hanako/Arasaka, absolutely none!
So, it fit exactly what I plan to end my V's story, i.e leaving Night City with Panam and above all, with Judy :giggle:
This is my ending! Leaving NC with Panam! For this reason you saved SoMi, isn't it?! ahaha

This is my ending! Leaving NC with Panam! For this reason you saved SoMi, isn't it?! ahaha
I knew I would never side with NUSA/Militech no matter what. Then Reed seemed really too "patriotic" to me, so I would never let him go with So Mi.
Well some could argue So Mi lied and don't deserve to be saved, which is true... but I believe that (my) V is not in best place to judge her. Afterall, V helped Goro, but had absolutely no intention to side with Arasaka no matter what.

So yes, The Star still my ending :giggle:

First play thru in 2020 I chose the Suicide ending by accident.
I was horrified. Offended. PISSED!

It was then I knew that CDPR would never let V "Win".
I kinda had a 'Drive to Survive' mentality while playing the game, where I desperately looked for a way for V to live. I spent the past 3 years trying every ending and doing every gig in Night City... searching for a cure.

But I do appreciate the ambiguous endings that go...
"And V rode off into the sunset... The End?"

Any time my friends and I are watching a movie and something Implausible happens, we quote X-Men 2 and say:
"She must of been saved by a bubble of tele-kinetic energy."

Those Energy Bubbles work wonders in almost any situation!
V is sure to get reincarnated by a bubble of cyber-kinetic energy and be back for the sequel.

Actually, that's why.

Another reason to say, "Was it wrong to turn down Reed's offer?"

Because it may even be wrong for Songbird.

Reed's offer was good when you talked with him at the clinic, planning to escape and cure both of us, but when Song realizes what we were doing, that plan fails miserably and leads to two very depressing endings. I think that's why sending Song to the moon is the best of all imo (though it's arguable if it's good or not for her because of Mr. Blue Eyes)

Except V DOES tell the people that he's going to be gone or at least his LI. He says they'll be gone for a month and they end up gone for two years.

People keep saying something manifestly untrue because they want to make up a reason to hate the ending.

Two years is a long time.

They don't want to acknowledge it's enough to break a relationship. It happens all the time in RL.

Two years is both a long and short time depending on what we talk about. A relationship ending because someone disaperad for two years?
- Yes, that would break a relationship.

A relationship ending because someone went into surgery, with a planned one month recovery and then being gone for two years?
- Maybe, depends on what info judy got. If she knew about the coma than two years is a pretty short time for deciding to dump their comatose partner, move on, move to a new city, meet someone new, get married.

If she did not know that V was in a coma, the natural assumptions should be that something has gone wrong and that V is either dead or in a very bad shape. In that case two years is a very short time to just move on.

If she thinks that V woke up after one month and just decided to ghost her for two years. Well then she is an idiot and that's just bad writing.

Also, no matter the number of years, this is still an arbitrary thing decided by the devs. It could have been one month, and then V having lost all combat implants. Or it could be twenty years and V still having combat implants. The number of years is irrelevant, it's the reasoning behind it that people seem to dislike. And I'm inclined to agree with them.

Also, funny enough, my last playtrough I roleplayed my V as someone who didn't want to be a merc. She just wanted to have a nice deskjob at Araska but things always went wrong. This ending sounds like her life goal, except for the arbitrary part about her being dumped by judy.

Two years is both a long and short time depending on what we talk about. A relationship ending because someone disaperad for two years?
- Yes, that would break a relationship.

A relationship ending because someone went into surgery, with a planned one month recovery and then being gone for two years?
- Maybe, depends on what info judy got. If she knew about the coma than two years is a pretty short time for deciding to dump their comatose partner, move on, move to a new city, meet someone new, get married.

I don't think two years is remotely strange to move on from that point because there's no guarantee they will wake up.

I'm just saying this isn't a soap opera where they'd be expected to be teary eyed at your beside as the years dragged on.

I don't think two years is remotely strange to move on from that point because there's no guarantee they will wake up.

I'm just saying this isn't a soap opera where they'd be expected to be teary eyed at your beside as the years dragged on.
Agree to disagree.

Also, a staple of soap operas is the opposite, people fall madly in love and then five minutes later they are in love with someone else (drama!).

But back to the relevant point, the exact number of years are irrelevant since they only exist to justify an ending were V.s life has left them behind.
So the question is, was that a good or a bad story decision?

Also, a staple of soap operas is the opposite, people fall madly in love and then five minutes later they are in love with someone else (drama!).
But you also do this. Judy and V knew each other how long? A couple of weeks? Is two years really a short time to move on from someone you knew not that long?

Top Bottom