Need help, game doesn't even start and seems quite broken

+
Need help, game doesn't even start and seems quite broken

Got the old version without steam and after a few years I wanted to play it again. put cd 1 in then cd 2 let it install, had the mega patch install and so forth. then the launcher comes up and I have to go through an insane amount of little patches (download and install) really is annyoing, then I finally reach 3.4 have that installed and want to play but NOPE!

"error message! It couldn't be started correctly (0xc0000142) press ok to close"

What can I do? Please don't tell me I have to deinstall and go through that annoying installation process again. What is wrong with the game and how can I fix it?

Thank you worked! Out of interest, why do you have to download so many patches, but then it won't download the last patch which is crucial for allowing the game to run? seems kinda weird

Glad it worked out, enjoy the game!

As for your question, the explanation is given in the link I gave you, namely: "In the patch 2.1 Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 became necessary to run The Witcher 2, which fixed several problems with game-to-server communication. However, in some cases this also led to problems with launching the game, notably to errors like "application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)" and similar, which most often resulted from conflicts between .NET 4 and other applications.

We created a hotfix especially for the people who experience the problems mentioned above. The hotfix makes .NET Framework 4 unnecessary to run the game. The hotfix will work correctly ONLY when applied on the game updated to 3.4."

Top Bottom