The General Videogame Thread

+
Ok, topic change.

Anyone familiar with Ain't It Cool? I wasn't until very recently and I think I just discovered internet version of Coelacanth. It looks like something straight out from 2005.

The guy behind it, Harry Knowles ocassionaly writes reviews where he often mentions receiving gifts from producers, visiting sets, being on the first name basis with directors or just straight out lying. The best part of the whole thing is the "Talkback" section [unmoderated discussion] of those reviews where the commentators basically insult him, troll him or point out his lies/mistakes.

Just take a look at his infamous Blade 2 review. And his newer ones are not much better either.

I mention this, because it makes me wonder. I haven't seen any gaming fan site of this caliber still alive - they either went under or had to transform into something resembling professional sites. What makes this one focused on movies still alive after all these years, when there are so many other alternatives to choose from ?

Last edited:
Yeah he also has a show on the Nerdist channel.

But how does this pertain to the general videogame thread?

Yeah, I guess it doesn't - it's more about film fans industry. Any Mod nice enough to move it to Movies/TV section please ?

Just finished Arkham Asylum for the first time. Very fun game. If CDPR is being inspired by it for their new combat, then I'm pleased. It's really remarkably fluid, with every attack connecting to the other, and animations of different actions in pleasant sync. I had a lot of fun with the arcade/challenge battles. .

So Banished released. Non players of strategy city builders turn your gaze for the boredom will melt your soul. But for the fans of it. Holy biscuits and gravy this game is fucking fantastic. It is absolutely brutal. tough, awesome, oh and slow paced. In other words: Heaven, Valhalla, Elysium, Aaru, Tian, Jannah just pick one!

Maldita Castilla, an awesome little indie side scrolling, action platformer in the vein of Ghosts 'n Goblins. Available freely for Linux, Ouya and Windows.

So while playing Medieval 2: Total War, I noted to a friend how I enjoyed the kingdom-planning half of the game much more than the battles (which I just auto-resolved very soon into every campaign), but that I'm also a bit disappointed about how fairly simplistic the diplomacy was, and often random (allies I bribed into a "Perfect" relationship with could attack me just like that). He directed me to Crusader Kings 2, and I'm a couple of hours into the game.

This is me, pretty much. Right now I'm just randomly doing things without any clue what the consequences are. Choosing a wife? That portrait looks nice. He wants to be a Steward? Sure, let's replace the current one!

It's incredibly overwhelming. I've never seen a strategy game with so many different functions and stats (I'm told EVE is a monster as well?). Any comments on this game? Certain goals to strive towards during my first hours of playing, that will make me learn as I go?

So while playing Medieval 2: Total War, I noted to a friend how I enjoyed the kingdom-planning half of the game much more than the battles (which I just auto-resolved very soon into every campaign), but that I'm also a bit disappointed about how fairly simplistic the diplomacy was, and often random (allies I bribed into a "Perfect" relationship with could attack me just like that). He directed me to Crusader Kings 2, and I'm a couple of hours into the game.

This is me, pretty much. Right now I'm just randomly doing things without any clue what the consequences are. Choosing a wife? That portrait looks nice. He wants to be a Steward? Sure, let's replace the current one!

It's incredibly overwhelming. I've never seen a strategy game with so many different functions and stats (I'm told EVE is a monster as well?). Any comments on this game? Certain goals to strive towards during my first hours of playing, that will make me learn as I go?

CK2 is an excellent game. It does take a bit of investment from the player in order to fully get into it, but once you understand its workings it´s quite simple actually, and absolutely fun.

To learn how to play it, I recommend you take a look at the wiki: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/
You can also go to the Paradox Interactive forums and see the FAQ and guiding threads. You can also ask the questions you have there, as the community is quite helpful.
I know there are also several "Let´s play" for the game in youtube. I never watched them, but I heard they´re quite useful.

The general recommendation for those new to the game is to start as an independent count in Ireland, since there you´ll be safe from most of the politics present in the European mainland. The game can really become overwhelming when you start dealing with overlords and vassals, if you don´t take it slowly.

The spouse loves CK2. I don't know how he does it, because I see him spending hours staring at a map of Europe and fiddling. It's not my idea of a good time, but he's into it.

I recommend starting as Earl of Dublin. From there your father will die leaving you with the Earldom of Leinaster. This will give you two counties of de jure duchies. Ireland is a bit two small in my opinion to try and inherit Earldoms/Counties. So send your chancellor to fabricate titles from your neighbours. In picking wives for both yourself and your heirs: See the list for available women/girls and look at their stats. Sort them by clicking on a stat icon. I usually go with one who has the best diplomacy or stewardship.

Judging by your reaction to Total War, I feel like this might be right up your alley. It'd be a nice transition from Total War to CK2, having a stronger focus on diplomacy and kingdom-management than TW while not being quite as deep as something like CK2.

Last edited:
Maldita Castilla, an awesome little indie side scrolling, action platformer in the vein of Ghosts 'n Goblins. Available freely for Linux, Ouya and Windows.

Just downloaded the Linux version. It uses some Yoyo games Linux runner engine. It works fine and it's an interesting sidescroller in the style of such classics like Captain Comic. The story unfolds in fantasy / magical Spanish settings (never saw such settings in sidescrollers before really). The only problem is the font - it's somewhat hard to read. Also, the hero has a shield, but I didn't figure out how to block anything. His opponents however use shields quite efficiently.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the Linux version. It uses some Yoyo games Linux runner engine. It works fine and it's an interesting sidescroller in the style of such classics like Captain Comic. The story unfolds in fantasy / magical Spanish settings (never saw such settings in sidescrollers before really). The only problem is the font - it's somewhat hard to read. Also, the hero has a shield, but I didn't figure out how to block anything. His opponents however use shields quite efficiently.

Yeah it seems pretty unique and interesting, not to mention challenging. The Linux version is not yet properly tested, so it may have some errors. If I remember correctly the fonts were sort of readable, but I'm guessing this is one of those things they'll have to fix.

About the shield: I think it autoblocks a certain amount of hits, and then disappears. The game is pretty straightforward and uses only two buttons --jump and attack-- so I don't think there is much to it. Like a good old 1980's platformer :p

Torchlight.

A game where you play as a rampaging maniac with a pet dog that farts green noxious gas and a horde of skeleton-slaves who you order to massacre the innocent populations of underground habitats while you smash their possessions in the hope of finding something that you're too stupid to understand without help from a magical scroll.

It's fun.

Top Bottom