How to run offline on steam

+
I know how to run Steam in offline mode....

I am asking how to run this game when I am not connected to the internet.

Thanks

As Tommy said, either run Steam in offline mode so you don't need an Internet connection, or use the game's Steam key here to claim your free gog backup copy, which doesn't require an Internet connection to run, once you've downloaded it.

There was a bug in the game launcher around version 2.0 that meant that you couldn't use the Steam version without an internet connection even if you put Steam offline, but I was under the impression that it was fixed in the EE version, which is what you will have. If there's still an issue then yes, picking up the GOG backup would solve it.

I don't have the Steam version installed at the moment, so I can't check it. Is anyone else able to? As the OP mentioned, the problem was if there wasn't a connection, rather than just setting it to offline.

Running the witcher2.exe rather than the launcher should run the game just fine, even without an Internet connection.

I think it is still a problem, even with the fully up to date GOG edition. The condition under which I see the problem is when all of these obtain:

You have Steam (of course)
You have another game that has keydisk DRM, such as Bethesda games
Your connection is down or so poor that the Witcher 2 Launcher cannot phone home to check for updates

In this case, I get the infamous "There is no disk in the drive", and the Launcher fails.

The way Windows works, this sort of error should be attributed to the DRM hooks from the other game observing the failure of the Launcher to connect and declaring an access control violation. It's not TW2's fault, and I don't think there's anything CDPR can do about it.

Pretty sure there was a way to run the game without going through the launcher. Then again, I don't own the Steam version.

There was, but the GOG solution is probably better now (it wasn't available at the time), so unless the OP has bandwidth constraints about picking up the GOG version, it would be recommended.

I'd still appreciate if there's a Steam user who could check (as Tommy isn't around at the moment). It could be an entirely different issue. As I said, I thought the problem was fixed a long time ago.

Ninja'd. The problem that Guy describes is different, so it's best to check that out first.

Guy - is that fixable by using the GOG version and then launching directly from witcher2.exe?

Last edited:
I suspect that particular problem is fixable, either by running witcher2.exe directly or by running from the Witcher 2 Tweaker (if you use the Tweaker, don't use the Launcher to set options).

But I restrict Steam to one computer, and my son has been monopolizing that one, so it will be a while before I have a chance to check.

Just tried it and Witcher 2 launches and plays the way it should with Steam in "Offline mode"

Additionally unplugged the router while steam is in "Offline" and game still launched and played . By going to the witcher 2 exe still kicks you back to the launcher as it has done from day 1 .

Last edited:
Top Bottom