Lady bug on Geralt's hand, what's the symbolism of that?

+
I feel that ladybug as a relaxing moment after all that veredicto about kingslayer motivations, his past with Geralt, viper school and the fight itself.
Ladybug appeared like a reflexion of what will be with all trues Geralt found out.
It take off slowly to a new direction, like Geralt and his companions are going to the next story. A sensible detail, i mean.

pomor said:
If it was up to me, I'd start TW3 with the cutscene of Ladybug landing on the hand of Yennefer.

That would be great. Maybe we can even play her in the prologue, so we become acquainted with her, especially for those who didn't read the books.

Connection of two souls.

GuyN said:
I don't know whether it comes up in the books. There's an old superstition, that if you let a ladybug fly away from your hand, the direction it flies is the direction in which you will find your true love.

Really hope that's not the intent of the scene. I want to freedom to choose Triss and not be forced back into Geralt's relationship with Yennefer.

Ladybug symbolizes different things depending on exact region:

- Good luck
- Rejuvenation
- Living life to the fullest
- Letting go of worry/joy

Take your pick. I like to think of it as Rejuvenation in this context for two reasons.

1) Geralt has his memories back which means that he can now go back to being himself. Which is a really cool because...

2) That rejuvenation from memories is up to player interpretation. Is he rejuvenated in his quest for Yennefer? happy that he remembers and is enjoying the calm before the storm of chasing the Wild Hunt again? Maybe he is ready to move on with Triss? Maybe he no longer feels the coldness most Witchers do, the same way he broke free when he fell in love before.

No idea what the devs meant. In my country when you catch this bug you have to let it fly, but never kill it. While it flies away, you can make a wish. So until I visited forums I was absolutely sure that Geralt was looking at this flying bug and making a wish to find Yennifer.

No idea what the devs meant. In my country when you catch this bug you have to let it fly, but never kill it. While it flies away, you can make a wish. So until I visited forums I was absolutely sure that Geralt was looking at this flying bug and making a wish to find Yennifer.

Yep, that's what I think as well. Given that he just recovered his memory, this interpretation is the best one.

Makes sense since he doesn't really 'love' her now. Yet, I really like the other guy idea of the ladybug landing on Yennefer's hand.

I really appreciate this kind of simbolism in the game, makes it even more meaningful and remarkable.

...Now I guess that my impression was wrong :ermm: I thought that this scene was made just to show us how Geralt is tired of killing. It fitted since I also decided to kill Saskia - and it was totally out of character for Geralt, so he must have been depressed. Anyway, I was looking as he demonstratively let the ladybug go and it made me angry: come on, under my control you killed many people, but then decided to save an insect?

So I have to agree that QTE for this scene would be interesting twist :evil:

I personally didn't like the ladybug scene. Even though my Geralt both killed and spared a variety of characters, its just a bug. It felt a little bit too Disney for me, and for The Witcher series, imo.

Didn't feel too 'Disney' to me, though I see why you'd be wary of it.

I didn't see the moment as overdone, flooding him with happiness or wrapping him in a rainbow. At most, it felt like this:
reflecting sensibility of Geralt, his capability to appreciate the beauty of world and little things regardless of all that crap going on around

or maybe it's just a calm, close moment after all the big picture-turmoil. Geralt hates politics, and after having his eye on the map of the Northern Kingdoms, now he gets to bring it back to his immediate world. For a while, anyway.

For one fleeting moment I thought it could've been Borch Three Jackdows from "The Sword of Destiny".

But that's a longshot.

I think I read somewhere once that in some culture a ladybug represents a soul of someone who died violently or something like that, and given that I killed Letho I took it like that.

Top Bottom